1429 W Broadway
Vancouver, BC V6h 1H6Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.portobellorestaurant.ca/
- Phone: (604) 734-0697
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Pino Milano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Portobello Ristorante
Romantic and cozy, Portobello ristorante attracts all kinds of diners. They come for the candle-lit tables, comfortable chairs, and intimate ambiance that compliments the menu inspired by southern Italy. Owner and locally-renowned chef Joe 'Pino' Milano creates dishes using fresh, quality ingredients that arouse taste buds and will satisfy any appetite.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Portobello Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (5)romantic (3)good for groups (3)Show More
- ReviewggleitchDined on 11/8/2014This was the 2nd time that I visited this restaurant. On both occasions the food was well prepared, the presentation was good and the food itself quite delicious. Unfortunately, the restaurant was full and the service was very slow as there was one one server working. The bus boy was next to useless as he couldn't even fill water glasses without being asked.Special Features:
- Just give us OUR bill.bonalsoDined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed our meal at the Portobello Ristorante. Food and service were good. However, what irked us, and others that I happened to meet there, was the fact that there is a sign not to ask for separate bills. I do not enjoy sitting with pen and paper trying to figure out someone else's bill. That is much easier for you to do right off the top. I would never go to the restaurant with a group. I am been to restaurants that limit the number of bills per table when there is a crowd, but NEVER when there are 4 or 6 people. I heard people from another table say they would not go back for this reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very enjoyable meal !!WolfmanDined on 10/7/2014Had a wonderful clam linguine. My mothers fav. dish when visiting Vancouver. She is still mentioning have delicious it was days later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Great place for dinner before a show at the Stanley Theatre. The food and service was great. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Special!NotlegallyblondeDined on 9/12/2014We headed to the Portobello Ristorante for my mom's birthday (74 big years). We needed a place that had good food, a classic wine list and wasn't so loud that you couldn't talk or socialize. Portobello fit the bill. The food was fantastic. The table had an assortment of the salads - caprese and cesars and the prawn appetizers. Salads were fresh, crisp and exactly how they should be. Prawns - were okay. The star of the meal was the scallopinis - veal and chicken were consumed heartily. The pastas that were on the table were also well received. House red a hit. Quite a delightful meal in a tiny gem of a place. The street noise from Broadway is a little much but all in all it was a really good evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brengolfDined on 8/30/2014We had a very enjoyable dining experience. Our waiter was attentive and chose the right moment to approach our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PORTOBELLO RESTAURANTE VancouverrearleDined on 8/14/2014As usual, a most comfortable and welcoming feel to this lovely, small and 'personal' restaurant.....the delicious foods never fail to satisfy us in every way. From Rosa's reception to the very attentive service by all the staff, you cannot go wrong if you wish to have a most satisfying meal in a casually elegant Italian restaurant. All the food is simply prepared with wonderful seasoning, fresh vegetable always cooked to perfection...the meats, fish and pasta dishes are full of flavour, it makes no difference what you choose to eat here. You will appreciate every dish, the salads, the dessert...plus, there is a well thought out and ample selection of wines.Special Features:
- The following 112 reviews are from the Portobello Ristorante reviews archive.
- Great experience !DctennisDined on 7/5/2014Every time I eat at Portobello it is always a great experience in dining. Fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing exceptionalHungryLarDined on 6/28/2014Everything was just O.K. If you are just looking for italian food and not after something special it's a good place to go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014The neighborhood is somewhat on the rougher side, so we felt over dressed for the occasion. We missed seeing the parking sign out front and ended up walking from two blocks away. Once inside, the patrons were noticibly older 50's 60's so the atmosphere was pleasant. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful, present when needed and not obtrusive. He was knowledgeable about the menu. We were hoping for a more romantic and scenic view as it was our anniversary celebration, however we eneded up at a table for two alongside a busy kitchen and television. The mushroom appetizer was delicious, definitely worth coming back for. The main course salmon was quite tasty and the portions good. The bill was very reasonable.Special Features:
- tanneronVIPDined on 5/9/2014One of the nicest and friendliest neighborhood restaurants in Vancouver. Always feel welcome and the food never disappoints.Special Features:
- Pretty good, not greatdoughypearDined on 5/8/2014We came here as a special occasion to thank our friend for helping us out. At the end, per head we paid $50 for an entree and a dessert for each of us and 1 bottle of wine. The price is pretty average, and the food is just that - average. It was a good solid meal (slightly smallish portions), and the veal was done really well and good, but... meh. There was nothing exceptional about our meal that I would want to make this a regular haunt, but honestly, there was nothing to dissuade us from coming here again. Though, I think I will focus on the fresh bread they serve - it was fresh out of the oven and really good homemade bread. Is it worth to go just for the bread, no, but it is pretty darn good.Special Features:
- A romantic night outPorkyDined on 4/3/2014I took my husband there for his belated birthday dinner celebration. It was our first time to this small, but cozy restaurant. We waited for a while to get the attention from our server as he was the only server there around 6:30 pm. Thing started to get smoother when the 2nd server came at 7 pm. We were planning to order the Antispasto and Calamari as appetizer but our server told us the portion of Antispasto is quite big for 2 people so he doesn't recommend us to have calamari. The Antispasto was really good and we were impressed with its portion. I like my main course, VITELLO AL MARSALA CON FUNGHI which is really perfect to me, however my husband is not very impressed with his main course OSSOBUCO CLASSICO.Special Features:
- Portobello VancouverrearleDined on 3/22/2014We always appreciate the most pleasant reception we receive at this small but comfortable West Broadway location. Joe and Rosa have been in the restaurant business for many years and know what their customers want...good food, good service, friendly atmosphere. It's a place we will continue to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is what a restaurantHLBHDined on 3/21/2014This is what a restaurant should be. Great food made by people who clearly care about quality and service to match. Everything we had was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portobello a Rare FindMalcolmDined on 3/8/2014My wife and I must be getting old. Or perhaps our tastes have matured. We love smallish neighbourhood restaurants where the food is good, even great sometimes, where we can actually enjoy conversations with friends without having to shout, and where service is attentive yet unobtrusive. Portobello is just that kind of place. Our veal and our pasta were first-rate, and our granddaughters (ages 12 and 10) were treated like the young and increasingly sophisticated adults they are becoming (did I mentioned talented and beautiful?). We certainly plan to go back, again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedhommedunordDined on 2/28/2014We had heard ( and read) positive reports of Portobello. Unfortunately, our experience was quite disappointing. When we visited, the kitchen must have been having an off night, as it took over an hour to prepare our first course (salads!), the another 45 minutes before the second (main) course arrived. Not one of us at the table felt that the meal was anything but ordinary. In my case, the vegetables were so undercooked, I could not cut them without considerable effort. All in all, we regret having chosen this place for dining. Hope they have their act together generally, as they didn't this time. Wine list quite impressive, however.Special Features:
- The actual dinning area isOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014The actual dinning area is extremely small. Not much in the way of privacy when trying to have a romantic valentines dinner with my girlfriend. Waiters were curteous and pleasent. Food was nothing spectacular. Portions were rather small but inexpensive. Overall is a nice restaurant if you need a last minute dinner reservation but not my first choice for a night out with the miss's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what I expectedjunglejaneDined on 1/18/2014I checked the restaurant website before I went and it said cozy and romantic. It was neither. The food was good, the service ok but the noise level was too high and it was far too crowded. The restaurant also ran out (early) on their dine out menu.
- Little Gem in the Neighbourhoodout4eatsDined on 1/17/2014My husband and I have wanted to try Portobello since we moved here 7 years ago and just never seemed to get around to it. We saw that it was included in Dine Out Vancouver 2014 and decided to give it a try. What a great place. We will be going back there again and again - wonderful food, great service and nice ambiance.Special Features:
- fooddinersDined on 1/4/2014Food is pretty good, but it would be nice if the portion is a little biggerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeFahimDined on 12/31/2013Very unique and nice place, great for couples but groups will enjoy it too, Service is great and very knowledgeable staff, food was amazing. Away from the busy downtown atmosphere but only mins away incase you decide to just drive west sideSpecial Features:
- Worth a return visitml33Dined on 12/31/2013I'm surprised we had never been to Portobello. It's a lovely place, small and elegant, and, as noted above, the service was outstanding. Good value for money. My only quibble was the richness of the food and lack of choice, perhaps b/c it was New Year's Eve? We don't/can't eat halibut or beef, so that ruled out some dishes. There were only 3 pasta dishes offered, one with halibut and one with chicken, which we've been eating a lot of recently. So we ordered the 3rd option but it was way too rich. The ceasar was very good, not drowned in dressing as is often the case, but could have used more garlic. House white was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Christmas Eve dinnerHeretogolfDined on 12/24/2013We had not been to Portobello for 18 months, but thought we would try it out for Christmas Eve. Our waiter was terrific, attentive but not overbearing....food was wonderful.......good sized portions, tastefully presented and delicious......we will not wait so long to go back. Thanks for a wonderful Christmas Eve with our familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated with old worldbohoboysDined on 12/22/2013Sophisticated with old world charm ... home made pasta and home made desserts make for an authentic fantastic Italian dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Fabulous MealFalseCreekFoodieVIPDined on 12/20/2013Every time we go there we feel like we are joining a family - Rosa and her husband run this lovely small authentic Italian restaurant. We are never disappointed with the food or service - the room is intimate and the service is wonderful. The food is home made and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small glitchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/20/2013We had a great time. Food was good and the server was nice. We had requested for a high chair in the comments section of our reservation and when we arrived we were just told they don't have high chairs. We are an easy going group so we just quickly bought one at toys r us. But a phone call/email to tell us to bring our own would've been nice. The lady owner or manager walked past us and spoke to a few tables but never came by once to apologize or even say hi. I guess we are not regulars or heavy drinkers that's worth her while.Special Features:
- Portobello is a nice and busyRTseVIPDined on 11/30/2013Portobello is a nice and busy family restaurant. The food is reasonably priced and tastes pretty good. The servers and the owner do their best to keep the customers happy.Special Features:
- the classic Italian menu,janmccDined on 11/26/2013the classic Italian menu, good wine list; perfect location for going to the Stanley theatre; short walkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre ItalianSkipperVIPDined on 11/22/2013This little bistro style restaurant has pleasant ambience and very good service, but the menu and the quality of food are stuck in a 1960s time warp. If you've been to any "Italian" restaurant in any small Canadian town over the past 40 years, you'll know what to expect. There are many much better Italian restaurants in Vancouver.
- A friendly down-to-earth restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2013A friendly down-to-earth restaurant with attentive but not over-the-top servers. Affordable but good familiar wines for Italian food lovers. Tried the house wine as we'd often choose the house wines for dinner on our trips to Italy. Would advise that if choosing the house wine, perhaps it would be a good idea to have the server ask if you wanted to try a taste first. The 3 course meal was excellent value. The owners were very personable and we had a nice chat and didn't feel like they were hurrying us to leave even though we were the last customers there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hooray!OliveDined on 10/23/2013Wonderful service and delicious food. Ordering the house wine (red) was a great recommendation from our server. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good services :)VonvonDined on 10/19/2013I have been here a several times and their food and services are excellent ! I also brought my in laws here for our family dinner and they all love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent local Italian restaurantmickDined on 10/4/2013Busy small restaurant with very good food great service nice ambiance. Three course meal was excellent and well priced, and 1/2 litre house red for $14 was drinkable and good value. we will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentEmmyVIPDined on 9/24/2013Portobello is a great restaurant. Excellent food, comfortable atmosphere and good service. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Very good food and service.BBCCDined on 9/21/2013Very good food and service. Perfect for pre theatreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/14/2013Found this restaurant on Open Table and based on reviews by others decided to try it out. Very glad we did, as the food and service were excellent. We will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic ItalianChochieDined on 8/15/2013Fresh, fresh, fresh - lovingly prepared by the chef and owner of the Ristorante - food arrives hot at the table and tastes heavenly! For once the tomatoes in the Caprese salad are room temperature so we can enjoy the wonderful aroma. Not stingy with red onions on the tomato salad nor with garlic in the tomato sauce - we all enjoyed the taste of true food. Italian wine was smooth and complemented all entrees perfectly. The lady of the house came and greeted us personally and offered a tasty flat bread appetizer. Homemade desert, but of course. For a sweet good-by compliments of the chef, tiny pistachio meringues arrived. An all around lovely neighbourhood gem worthy of regular dinners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonerful evecaplkaDined on 8/2/2013My wife and I spent a few nights in Vancouver. I wanted to treat her to a special Italian dinner in not some hyped restaurant so I got on line and found Portabella. My choice was rewarded with a great meal of Veal and my wife with wonderful Osobuco. The young waiter was polite and on the spot as was the owner who came to the table to say hello and check on the service. This is a great place for a night out at a very reasonable cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family run and well doneNeighborhoodgem1Dined on 7/28/2013This is a little restaurant that is on Broadway at Granville, and is just a perfect little Italian gem. The food is always good, service is excellent, and it is family owned and run, so it is always welcoming. It is conisistently good, and has a good repeat clientel from the neighborhood. A lot of restaurants are impersonal, but this one is personal, and I really like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.