875 Middlefield Rd
Redwood City, CA 94063Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.portobellogrillrwc.com/
- Phone: 6502999918
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-2:00pm
Lunch: Sa-Su 12:00pm-3:00pm
Dinner: M-Th 5:00pm-9:00pm Dinner: F 5:00pm-1:00am
Dinner: Sa 3:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Su 3:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Gavin Gonzado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: All menu items are available for catering.
A word from Portobello Grill
Portobello Grill is located by the new Century 20 Movie Theatre in Downtown Redwood City, in the On Broadway Center. We are open Monday through Friday for lunch and dinner, 11:30 pm to 2:00 pm for lunch and then for dinner we reopen at 5:00 pm . Saturday and Sunday we are open at 12:00 pm. We have a great menu for lunch and dinner- something for everyone- fish, seafood, steak, salads, sandwiches, hamburgers, pasta dishes and daily specials. And a " tried and true" kids menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Portobello Grill - Best Restaurants in Redwood City ›
Portobello Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (13)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (4)romantic (3)great for brunch (2)special occasion (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Very nice serving staffM4CNCH33S3Dined on 9/5/2014We walked in and I expected it to be busy, after all it was a Friday night at 8:15... The restaurant was very open, the hostess told us we could take a seat anywhere. The server was very kind and informed in what was in every dish including some spices and of course sauces. She was very attentive. This place is a great hidden gem apparently. I'll definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GiantFansGiantFansDined on 9/5/2014Went there with a group of five, excellent service, excellent food, will return. Have never had a bad meal there, try the Pomodoro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not kid-friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2014Went there 6 years ago with child, got such poor service, never went back for 6 years. Got good service with friends a month ago, so returned with family. Poor service again.
- EmilyDined on 8/12/2014wouldn't take our passport card for two salad entrees (even though we were ordering one with fish which totaled the amount of an entree). Noisy from the construction and parking was difficult.Special Features:
- AllergiesJohnDined on 8/6/2014I have made reservations many, many times stating that I am allergic to garlic and this is the FIRST restaurant that has asked about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good valueCounterbanderVIPDined on 7/29/2014Some dishes were excellent, with good variety of taste; others less so. Prices very reasonable. Willing and efficient service, lacking a bit of polish. Good location in the middle of things in town.Special Features:
- Good early dinnerCarolynDined on 7/27/2014We ate early so I couldn't answer all the questions previously asked. The wait staff was very nice. The atmosphere so so, the food tasty. I would go again if I was in the neighborhood, I would not make a special trip there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portabello Grill after the MoviesJimCVIPDined on 7/26/2014Portabello Grill is a very nice downtown Redwood City choice for sitting outside and after movie italian food. We enjoyed attentive friendly service and the menu had lots of good choices. The salmon was cooked right, the sole was the same. One of our guests felt the rib eye was not the best choice. The choco hazelnut flute was a little watery, not quite the mouse we expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite!CarnmeVIPDined on 6/30/2014We love this restaurant and come here frequently... and always eat outside. Last night we had wonderful, large salads (Cobb and spinach) and pesto pasta. And the really good apple dessert. Everything was delicious. Wait staff was friendly and helpful. And they're dog friendly! That's a big plus for us!Special Features:
- AdequatereadergardenDined on 6/28/2014To start, the could not find our reservation. Thankfully, I had the Open Table printout with me and on my phone. I stepped up to the monitor and found my name easily. We allowed an hour and a half for dinner before the theatre. The service was so slow, we had to skip dessert. To be fair, we did not tell the waiter we were on a time crunch, because I didn't think we were. We thought we had allowed plenty of time. The food was good, but not outstanding. The bartender was way off on the Negroni--too much Campari and hardly any gin. The biggest plus is that it is close to the Fox Theatre and the parking garage.
- The following 52 reviews are from the Portobello Grill reviews archive.
- Goos as usualSonnyjDined on 5/17/2014One of our favorite places. Good food, pleasant setting, efficient service .Special Features:
- Outdoor seating, reasonably pricedRaduVIPDined on 3/8/2014We had exactly 1 hr before our movie started. Our waiter said he'd get us out of there in less time than that and he did: in 40' we were done. Food is average but reasonably priced for downtown. Outdoor seating very pleasant, plenty heaters. Overall, a good place to go before or after the movie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as usualSonnyjDined on 2/23/2014Another good experience at one of hour favorite places to eat. Good food,service and reasonable pricesSpecial Features:
- Good menuscfoodieVIPDined on 2/22/2014Menu selections are varied & service was very good. Parking downtown is never easy on weekends.Special Features:
- Portobello has very good food.FoodieDined on 1/16/2014Portobello has very good food. i've eaten there several times and it's very consistent.Special Features:
- Good go to place for us. AlwaysOuttoeatDined on 1/4/2014Good go to place for us. Always consistantly good food and wine. Varied menu and great service. Place a bit cold when door opens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner and a movieTizapanoDined on 12/1/2013perfect place to have dinner in rwc before a movieSpecial Features:
- Fantastic!ZimmVIPDined on 11/18/2013The food was fantastic on the lunch special at a great price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family DiningJillVIPDined on 11/13/2013The service was excellent - the food - very good. The chicken salad was especially notable - as was the pasta carbanara.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience -as usualSonnyjDined on 10/19/2013Wife and I dine here often and always have a pleasant time with good food and service. This time we both had some dietary needs and waitress was very helpful in modifying the menu items to meet our needs. We had reservations for 6:15, arrived at 6:00 and table was ready. By 6:30 -6:40 the place filled up , but was not noisy. They also have out door tables. Suggest making reservation for Fri and Sat if planning on 6:30 or latter arrival. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Great food and service!!LynieRVIPDined on 9/21/2013Hadn't been here for awhile...but 4 of us went before a theater performance at the Fox. We all thoroughly enjoyed our meals...the spaghetti carbonara is the BEST! a very light cream sauce and just the right amount of Italian bacon and peas...yummy! The service was great too!! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Casual EleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2013This is a nice and affordable date option and we loved it. They also have coupons sent to local residents. The specials are great too. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waitress was pleasant butOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2013Waitress was pleasant but never came back to check on us...we both had Mahi mahi and it was overcooked...the overall taste was good thoughSpecial Features:
- Generally good bit not sureBetsyDined on 7/20/2013Generally good bit not sure we would go back. Steak was over cooked. Had to ask for things more than once.Special Features:
- Casual neigborhood diningGourmandGourmetDined on 6/18/2013We've gone to Portobello Grill several times by now because it's a convenient casual restaurant that's however not too casual to serve as a "date night" for a long-established couple. The decor is nice and the individual decor pieces have charm, but somehow - I can't put my finger on why - put all together it manages to seem not decorated enough. There is outside seating, and that may have yet it;s own atmosphere, but we've alway sat inside. The food is good but what we enjoy most is the nightly special emphasis on a specific type of food, like Burger Night (tons of great burgers) or Pasta night etc.
- Good FoodPlmcrsyDined on 6/18/2013Great food and good service, the bar even has a TV to watch your favorite sports game. I would go back, we stayed a long time to visit also and didn't feel rushed at all.Special Features:
- Not what it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/11/2013Portobello used to have great salads which were perfect for a business lunch. The last two times we went for lunch, I was very disappointed. Although the ingredients looked fresh, the flavors did not come together and the salads tasted tired.
- Great experience as normalyvonnecapVIPDined on 6/7/2013Great experience as normal at Portobello Grill. Fast and friendly service, good fit and perfect to fit within a one hour lunch break. The Chicken Diane lunch speak with amazing and a steal at just $9.95.Special Features:
- Great dining place for the moviesamheyDined on 6/4/2013If you are visiting Redwood City's downtown movie theaters this is a great place to eat - indoors or outdoors. Three of us enjoyed every dish - the food was fresh, pasta was great (we went on Pasta Night Tuesday) and the shell appetizer (mussels and clams) was delicious. I've eaten there once before and had an enjoyable dining experience. We enjoyed our Pinot Grigio too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience overall. WeyvonnecapVIPDined on 5/28/2013Good experience overall. We went at 7p and the restaurant was pretty quiet, only a few other dinners. Good seafood choices. The bay scallops and linguine was very good and had a great pesto sauce. If you're looking for traditional, the skirt steak is a classic and always a good choice. Great for date night before a movie or lunch with coworkers.Special Features:
- Inconsistent Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/24/2013Time and time again we give Portabello Grill another chance. Just when I think things are looking up, something disappointing happens. Entree isn't right.. someone's meal is over cooked, too salty or just isn't up to par with the image and quality this restaurant tries to portray. Service has been hit and miss as well. The other night we had a great server... she was friendly and attentive... but alas, she was failed by her chefs and the kitchen. Can nothing ever go wrong just once... Just one nice meal where the food and service mesh and we have a dining experience where everyone in our party is happy and no one regrets choosing Portabello. Thus far, this has been too much to ask.
- Great for a group lunch. WeyvonnecapVIPDined on 5/20/2013Great for a group lunch. We went for a team outing and it was a great experience. Delicious food, great scenery and good ambiance. They had the music playing which added to the ambiance. Great lunch specials at very affordable prices. This is the perfect spot for lunch if you work in Redwood City, or if you're having date night and want to dine before your movie begins.Special Features:
- Great for lunch and good foryvonnecapVIPDined on 5/20/2013Great for lunch and good for groups. If you work or live in or near Redwood City, this is a great place to dine at. It makes for a great spot to have a tea meeting or a quick luncheon and it's also a great place to grab dinner before a movie date. The food is fresh and the service is quick.Special Features:
- Still Love It!RobertDined on 5/8/2013This was my fourth dinner at Portobello Grill, and I still love this place. The food is great, prices are reasonable, and the location is perfect if you are going to a movie or Club Fox. Try it, you'll like it!Special Features:
- Comfortable, welcoming feelOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/7/2013We have been to Portobello before and have always found it comfortable and relaxing. This last visit was on a Tuesday, so probably quieter than usual. Downtown Redwood City can be busy on week-ends. There is one outstanding thing I would like to mention relative to the service. It has been several months now, but I had tried several restaurants in the area in a effort to make reservations for a large party. It was around the holidays, and there were children in our group, which meant potentially less revenue for the restaurant. Portobello agreed to take us, and we had a wonderful, celebratory evening. We are so grateful! Thank you, Portobello!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedLovetoeatDined on 5/4/2013Went the other night. Never been before, I've seen it for years so me and my 2 guests said why not. I was really craving a steak. The waitress hardly came around. We had to ask for refills on water and soft drinks. She really did not have a great personality. Not sure if she was new or not. Steak was cold and really didn't have any flavor. My girlfriends pasta was ok, and my buddy ordered a hamburger medium well. He said it was crispy with no flavor. Well we tried it. Won't be going back and we can mark that one off our list.Special Features:
- Our party of seven all ravedOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 4/13/2013Our party of seven all raved about the excellent food at moderate prices. It is a great find for dinner before performances at the Fox in Redwood City.Special Features:
- automatic 18% gratuity meansCharlesVIPDined on 4/4/2013automatic 18% gratuity means service is just "ok" ! Don't like it ..... leaving such a tip should require exceptional service
- Good salads on regular menu.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/3/2013Good salads on regular menu. Be sure to ask for dressing on the side. Generous portions. Same block as Century 20 so busy in the evenings.Special Features:
- Its across from the RedwoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2013Its across from the Redwood City cineplex and the interior design is nice. Food is served promptly, maybe too promptly by an almost Germanic waiter, but could catch him OK for forgotten items. Main gripe is MSG on the over-seasoned ahi tuna. But yes, will go there again because of location.