121 Southwest Third Ave.
Portland, OR 97204Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://portlandprime.net/
- Phone: (503) 223-6200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4pm - 11pm, Friday: 4pm - 12pm, Saturday: 3pm-12pm, Sunday: 3pm -9pm
Happy hour: Monday-Friday from 3pm-6:30pm Sunday 11:30am-5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Prime Rib
- Executive Chef: Greg Samples
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The crown jewel of Portland Prime is our Estate Room. An alluringly elegant and spacious private dining facility that captures the already sophisticated ambiance of the restaurant and blends it harmoniously with handsome cedar racks filled with an unsurpassed selection of our finest wines.
- Private Party Contact: Sheena Wituschek 8772370712
- Entertainment: Featuring live Jazz music Thurs 5:30pm - 8:30pm, Fridays 6:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturdays feat. Mel Brown Trio 7:30pm - 11:00pm
A word from Portland Prime
Today's Interpretation of a Traditional Fish, Chop and Steakhouse; Only Portland Prime's recalls the simpler place and time of the Great American Fish, Chop and Steakhouses. Visitors become lifetime guests because Portland Prime's recalls the warmth, memories and flavors they know and love. At Portland Prime, Guests savor their dining experience and enjoy wonderfully reasonable prices as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Portland Prime - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Portland Prime reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (63)romantic (38)notable wine list (25)good for groups (20)fit for foodies (20)vibrant bar scene (14)neighborhood gem (11)great for lunch (9)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- WOWOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014First time to this restaurant and it was way beyond expectations the best steak I have ever had service outstsanding the wine list tops this is a perfect place for a romantic night out or a celebration. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great Every TimeniseyVIPDined on 7/10/2014Another fabulous dinner at PP! Love that it's quiet and you can talk. Oysters were excellent as we're the steaks. Groupon or not it's sooooo worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for special occasionHappydinerDined on 7/10/2014Our waiter was awesome. The food was good but a bit high priced to go on a regular basis. It was nice that they split a salad for us. Perfect portion to share. Drinks were too high for quality. Expected fresh grapefruit juice, not canned, for a greyhound at $9.25. Other than that a really nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go to Portland Prime for date nightMaryDined on 7/9/2014We went to Portland Prime for my birthday. The food was excellent. I had the scallop and shrimp over risotto meal and my husband had the short ribs. Both dishes were prepared very well and the portion size was good. The shrimp and scallops were very large and cooked to perfection. The short ribs were melt in your mouth. I hear that they have good music in the bar, and plan to go back for happy hour. They are attached to the Embasy Suites hotel which brings in clientelle. The wine list is extensive and they made a good martini. I liked how the resturant was decorated and lit. It felt like a very special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special occasionhuntluckyDined on 7/6/2014My wife and I celebrated our 1st anniversary here. Our appetizer (the lightly breaded shrimp) and meals were delicious (I had the prime rib, she had seafood alfredo), and our waiter was kind and knowledgeable. Also, the chocolate lava cake we shared for dessert was to die for.Special Features:
- RootsDined on 7/2/2014THe food was excellant and the service was very good!!! We would reccomend Prime .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience NotableJudyDined on 6/30/2014This restaurant has a formal and elegant feel, yet relaxed. All four of our entree's were different but delicious. The salmon and halibut were perfectly cooked and my husband said his chicken had a wonderful flavor. The four of us split 2 wedge salads which we all thought would be better if they had not drizzled balsamic vinegar over them. Only other suggestion is that for the high price, a vegetable and starch could be included with all main dishes. Only other complaint is that the restaurant was nearly empty and we like it there because they don't have blaring music. But they seated the other 2 groups right next to us-one of which was a loud group of men, so our conversation was not so easy. otherwise, a very nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable visitNewbiePortlandianDined on 6/28/2014Promptly seated for a 730pm reservation, but the restaurant wasn't packed. Our waiter, Laramy (sp?), was friendly but hit/miss on attentiveness. He came by the table and offered to refill our wine, but I had already helped myself to the bottle we had purchased. We were informed that the prime rib was sold out which was a little disappointing, but the other options were fine. My wife enjoyed her petite filet, and I had ribeye, both cooked to order and served with a scoop of mashed potatoes and asparagus. I personally like mashed potatoes with chunks so I'm glad they weren't whipped, but that may not be to everyone's liking. The waiter did come by in time to put in our order for the chocolate lava cake, however it arrived slightly overdone.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014My husband and I celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary dinner at Portland Prime. We had received an "anniversary" coupon, which we used and very much appreciated! Our only disappointment was that by 6:00pm when we arrived, they were already out of Prime Rib, which was what we had looked forward to! The rib eye steak was very good; but not prime rib.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melt in Your Mouth SteaksHappy13Dined on 6/23/2014I am a real foodie and my Husband and I decided to spend our 23rd Anniversary celebrating at Portland Prime. We had never been there. We both had the petite filet. I can honestly say this is 1 of the 3 most flavorful steaks I have ever eaten. And Ruth Chris is NOT in my top 3!! This meat was out of sight good. I appreciated that it came with mashed potatoes and a few asparagus sprigs. Of course we ordered additional sides, but I would be dissappointed to get a beautiful steak and have it sitting all lonely on a plate, as is with most upscale meateries. Very romantic! Oh and nice selection of wines by the glass!Special Features:
- LOVE IT!NM86Dined on 6/22/2014This was our first time at Portland Prime and it was AMAZING! The rib eye was on point! Everything was great, even the drinks! We had set reservations, but that wasn't needed on a Sunday evening as we got seated right away!Special Features:
- Experience could have been bettermartl3yDined on 6/21/2014The food was absolutely delicious! We ordered the crab dip, prime rib, and ribeye steak. I personally had the prime rib and thought it had great flavor. The crab dip made you want more it was so good. I felt like the food is what would make us eat there again, I personally did not appreciate the service. Our server would not come back to our table for 15 minutes at a time and it was quite frustrating at times, especially when we wanted to get our check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnertroubadourVIPDined on 6/21/2014We had a great experience upon walking in the door. We were quickly and politely greeted. Our waiter was attentive and the steaks were excellent. The chocolate molten lava cake was incredible and the perfect end to a terrific dinner.
- We had a great time!Will52MelisDined on 6/20/2014Seafood and Lamb was cooked perfectly. We will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2eatLuv2eatDined on 6/19/2014We were seated promptly. Water and menus received. Bar order given and delivered in a very reasonable length of time. We ordered one salad to share, Ceasar salad brought to us on two plates and definitely was plenty for two and was very tasty. We also enjoyed the bread even if it was a bit garlicky. The main course arrived and was very good. The scallops were exceptional. Too full for dessert. Not a cheap meal but very good and the service was not only prompt but friendly so don't know why we saw complaints on-line unless some people are just very hard to please or maybe they have a new cook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hello? We're here. Hello?OrdinaryAwesomeDined on 6/18/2014Bottom line, the food was just decent, and the server was... Nice. As we arrived, we were absolutely neglected, with no host to greet us, or the other two small groups in the same boat. We were all wondering if anyone would come, and began to joke about it for over 5 minutes. The host showed up and explained they were "short-staffed" that evening. His manager was annoyed, when we commented about the short-staffing - he knew the host was not being honest. We sat. We waited. After 13 more minutes we were met by our server. She was nice, but overly chatty with every table, making others wait as she set random food down to just talk. Another 45 for food to arrive. Trying to leave? Keep waiting, you'll get your bill eventually.
- Great placeumalolaDined on 6/14/2014Thank you so much for making this a great Fathers Day fire my husband, he loved the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceSteakloverDined on 6/13/2014Great food, very great Service (Walt). Had a great Jazz player and even bought his CD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/13/2014Great lunch menu, good service, and good food. They have really stepped it back up for lunch service, making it a great restaurant to go out to lunch with friends again.Special Features:
- great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014the food and service were great! we will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good beef but...BicyclingfoodieVIPDined on 6/8/2014If I'm going to have beef, I want a place that does it well. I expected better at Prime. I ordered the (last piece) prime rib - medium rare. The waitress checked to see whether the cut was medium rare - and assured me it was to temperature. 20 mins later our order came - the cut was 1) cold and 2) solidly medium. I sent it back and had to wait another 20 mins for my alternative - the filet. The filet was great. This problem could have been easily avoided. For a place that specializes in beef and charges a premium, I expected better. Also, for as many great bakeries as there are in Portland, I think Prime could find better bread. Just a thought. On a positive note, the service was prompt and courteous.Special Features:
- Excellent!BobSDined on 5/30/2014The food was great and the service even better ! BobSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyJudyesteyDined on 5/25/2014We had a wonderful meal with a delightful server. We will go back again.Special Features:
- DisappointedFoodfanVIPDined on 5/15/2014Portland Prine has great service, wonderful atmosphere, and excellent location. The only thing lacking is the food. Our steaks were bland: they had no flavor. The bread comes with butter already drizzled over the top: an innovation we didn't care for. The Pen Cove oysters were the best part of the meal. I'm sorry to say we won't be visiting Portland Prine again, at least not for steak. At an average of $100 per person after tip, we expect a first class steak.
- Lunch was GreatPdxEaterDined on 5/15/2014Food was great not too much. Table person was attentive but not intrusive. Eating utensils were clean. Bathroom clean.Special Features:
- Oregon steakBeanieVIPDined on 5/5/2014Visiting Portland for the first time. Knew we should have steak at least once. Menu looked interesting, but other than that, had no expectations. Great find! Service was outstanding due to Laramie, our wonderful server. Food was delicious and perfectly cooked. Terrific meal, wonderful setting and fantastic service. A perfect dinner experience!Special Features:
- Pricey but nicebabygrassDined on 4/21/2014Hello, this was our second visit, we had bought 2 groupons and was not disappointed. The prices are high, ex. my prime rib was $39 ala carte, the potato was extra at $8. The steak was wonderful and the potato was HUGE, my wife and I split the potato, in fact it could be a meal in itself. My wife had the seafood spaghetti, it was good very nicely but the sauce is thick, which is nice but there is a lot of it, the noodles where drowning in the sauce, it almost looked like a soup. Overall good food but would never eat there without a groupon, the bill would have been $84 for 2 dinners ala carte and 1 potato, one iced tea and water. Take Care, RickSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening mealBeckyDined on 4/20/2014I love eating at Portland Prime. Everything about the restaurant is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well...FellforthehypeDined on 4/19/2014It was not what I was hoping. I ordered the prime rib and it was not very thick. I was picturing the steak from the Gartners Meat commercial and what I got was not even close. It was big length wise but as far as thickness, 1/2 inch at best. I ordered medium rare and that's what I got. No flavor whatsoever and the gravy tasted like the packet of brown gravy $ix from the grocery store. I knew beforehand that it was a la carte but for a $42 steak that comes with absolutely nothing, it fell flat, literally and figuratively. My server was ok. I think Portland Prime is a dud as far as fine dining and is just a step above Applebees if we are being honest. Bottom line, stick with Ringside or Ruth's Chris.Special Features:
- Disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014The restaurant was very clean. The food is way over priced for what you get. I had crab cakes, they were by far the worst I have ever been served in any restaurant and the risotto was so dense and thick it was beyond disappointing. If you charge $30 for 3 crab cakes they should have SOME crab in them and risotto shouldn't be stiff. If we had not had a Groupon I would have been totally upset. We spent $90 for a lunch that wasn't worth it. We appreciate Groupons because they give you the opportunity to try new places. Some times it works in your favor and sometimes not. This was not a pleasurable experience. We will not be returning or giving a favorable review if asked. The server was very nice.
- A generally good experienceDickDined on 4/6/2014Reservation process was easy. Service was top notch. The wedge salad was the highlight of our meal. Other courses were above average. The only drawback was being caught between the restaurant's ambient music and the kitchen music...which was too loud for diners seated nearby. This comment is made by a person with a hearing loss!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceluv23VIPDined on 4/5/2014We were looking for a restaurant that had late hours and this one worked perfectly!Special Features:
- Out of the steak I wanted to order!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014I ended up having the short ribs which were good, but I resented that the waitress didn't tell us that they were out of something as they were telling us about the special. When I made that comment to her, she said, "Most people don't have that anyway, so why bother?" Very annoying. It was very expensive and parking was hard to find. I doubt we'll ever go again as there are wonderful places closer to home, but the vintage hotel that houses it was wonderful and worth ust going to see their lobby!! Embassy suites, downton Portland.Special Features:
- tastyoccasionDined on 4/3/2014Really good food, our server Patty was great. We were there on a groupon and would return on a groupon, otherwise it seemed a bit pricey and would not return otherwise.Special Features:
- First ImpressionsdiningnpdxDined on 3/27/2014Reservations were easy with online selection and conformation. Bar was energetic with flat screen viewing of sports and comfortable seating at the bar or tables. Dining room was elegant and comfortable. The table was beautifully placed with all of the stemware and silverware that is need for any romantic occasion. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and wine list as well as attentive to our requests. The food was served quickly, extremely delicious and well portioned.Special Features:
- Portland PrimeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/23/2014Great food, seemed to be out of quite a few drink options both wine and beer from what we heard as well as overhearing others. Steaks were cooked to perfection and the sides were well-prepared too. Would recommend to anyone who wants something other than Ruth's Chris or Portland Steak & Chop.Special Features:
- Delicious foodShineDined on 3/22/2014I had a groupon I had to redeem for dinner only I came in during lunch the gal was nice enough to let us use it during lunch by ordering off the dinner menu. Crab cakes were amazing! My boyfriend had chicken Marsala. Lunch menu was reasonable so even without groupon I'll definitely come back for lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but not greatJFKNMDined on 3/20/2014The food here is very good. What I find odd is it seems like a steak house on the down swing. There are a bunch of caged wine holders that have no wine in them and locks. You need a code to enter the bathroom, I thought was strange for a "nice" place. The food is very good, but on the top end of what it could command for the price. I would not say don't go, but I would not recommend this.
- DissatisfieddissatDined on 3/20/2014For the cost of dining at your restaurant the service should be excellent as well as the food. It not only was not but it was terrible! Misty was our waitress - she had trouble taking our very simple order, got it wrong and didn't even know what was in the middle of the shrimp scampi which for $16.00 was just was skimpy! I would not recommend this place to anyone - there are many fine dining places to choose from.
- Excellent EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/19/2014We enjoyed excellent food, service, and ambiance. Could not have asked for anything more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.