Portico Restaurant - Richmond
12506 River Road
Richmond, VA 23238Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Portico Restaurant - Richmond
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://porticorichmond.com/
- Phone: 8047844800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Lunch : Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Brunch: Sunday : 10:00 am -2:30pm
Lunch: For Parties of Six Guests or more only.
Dinner : Two or more Guests
All Reservations are confirmed for inside dining only.
Patio seating is not reserved but first available when your party arrives.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Portico Restaurant - Richmond
Italian inspired Cuisine in a charming and beautiful country setting with outdoor dining. Stone terrace with large fireplace nestled between aromatic herb and flower gardens.Continued
Please click on "More Details" for reservation information.
Please click on "More Details" for reservation information.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Portico Restaurant - Richmond - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Portico Restaurant - Richmond reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (130)special occasion (88)romantic (84)neighborhood gem (71)scenic view (48)fit for foodies (47)great for lunch (38)good for groups (33)great for brunch (22)hot spot (13)notable wine list (11)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)Show More
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Pork was tough and lacked seasoning. Broccoli was overcooked. Seafood and lamb good. Lettuce wedge good. Dessert delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerJLDineDined on 9/26/2014Portico had great ambiance and delicious food with comfortable and spacious outdoor dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The manager is a jerkKeydetDined on 9/23/2014I took my boss and two customers to Portico this week for a business dinner. We all arrived separately. Upon arrival, the valets said we were required to valet our cars, no exceptions. They couldn't really give us a good answer why. Didn't make sense but we handed over our keys. Dinner was decent. The food was OK. The waiter did a great job. We pay our bill and get out front and there is a line of people waiting for the two valets to bring their cars around. Our party ended up waiting about 20 min. During that time I asked to speak to the manager. He came outside and was rude and sarcastic in front of our party and other guests. He was almost yelling...said the county required him to valet all cars. Due to his rudeness I will never return.
- Great once again!cmctdcDined on 9/23/2014Been to Portico about 6 times in the last 9 months. Always ready to go back! It's become one of my favorite dinner places. Food is always fresh, hot and delicious. Love sitting outside;the beautiful landscape. If you haven't been you are missing out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good !JakeDined on 9/21/2014I have never had a bad meal at Portico! I highly recommend dining outside, even if it is a little chilly they have heaters and an outdoor fireplace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/21/2014Always a special place. Loved the outdoor patio. AND the calves liver---WOW---best ever!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UR MomURMomDined on 9/20/2014Portico was an excellent choice for dinner for UR parent's weekend with my daughter, her friends and their parents. Food was excellent and they handled our very large party with care and finesse. The proprieter is a NYC transplant who understands great Italian Food. I would highly recommend Portico and will definitely return. Would love to sit outside next time.Special Features:
- GoochlanderDined on 9/19/2014Love the gardens and the outside fireplace. Always a fun time. Will be going back.Special Features:
- WonderfulBarryDined on 9/19/2014Great venue for date night. More seating outside than inside, so I'm not sure what they do in colder weather. Highly recommend, but get a reservation early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedCasualdiner28Dined on 9/18/2014My wife had been to Portico for lunch and loved the atmosphere and food so we decided to have our anniversary dinner there. The weather cooperated so we dined on the patio. We chose a wine that we had not previously tried on a waiter's recommendation and we both ordered the daily special (ribeye steak, potatoes, and vegetables) and we both added a salad. The food was delicious and the service was very good without being intrusive. After dinner, we lingered a bit with coffee and dessert and did not feel rushed by the staff to free up our table. Overall, it was a very good dining experience. I would do it all again the same, even the wine, which I have now added to my list of wines that I have tried and liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girl's NightgoldieDined on 9/17/2014Took my girlfriends here for the first time the other night and had a great time. Great house wine and delicious food. Although it was a little more expensive than our usual haunts it was a nice change. We ate outside and had great weather. We will be back to try more items on the menu. Can't wait to try the veal next time.Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable!lynnstabby48Dined on 9/16/2014We love this restaurant! We came here for our anniversary!! The weather was perfect and the food was great! If you like outdoor dining, this is the place to go. Service was good and the manager came to our table & talked with us for a few minutes! The valet service was a nice touch too! Highly recommend!!Special Features:
- A favorite!KarenDined on 9/11/2014Portico has great food--much of it fresh and local. Wait staff is knowledgeable and friendly. The outdoor dining is beautiful!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/11/2014Folks in the area would probably not agree but being from out of town this restaurant appears out of nowhere! Not in a strip center or grouped with a lot of other restaurants; it seems like you are lost when BOOM, there it is. Beautiful grounds, large outside seating with gardens galore. Rustic enough to be interesting but modern throughout. Lamb Risotto was 5 Star, apps were great, fried oysters were perfect, as in not to much breading, fresh flavor. Desserts were outstanding (great selection). A little loud but good energy. Will go back! (I'm not a 5 Star person unless it is completely over the top so 4 Star is great).Special Features:
- Perfect for lunch with friends!FoodiemomDined on 9/8/2014It was the perfect place for 5 old friends to meet for lunch. And even though it was raining, and we couldn't have lunch in the beautiful garden, we enjoyed the good service - and the light lunch, of 1/2 soup & 1/2 sandwich, was exactly right for us. And delicious as well! I have to add that the pizza has gotten so much better, and a great appetizer to share.Special Features:
- Great for special occassionsMimiDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed dining at the Portico in Richmond VA. Very nice servers, delicious food and great attention to detail. We plan to return there soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvVMFADined on 8/30/2014The food was very good as was the service. The outdoor dining was very romantic, but with only 4 candles per table, our aging eyes had difficulty seeing the menu and the food. Maybe keep a small flashlight on hand at least for guests to read the menu?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great hide-away on River RoadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent food and good wine served on a beautiful patio in an English Garden Setting, or inside with a great view of the garden. Prompt and courteous service.Special Features:
- Lovely evening!cmctdcDined on 8/25/2014This was my 4th trip to Portico. Each time I come with different dinner companions but each time I experience a delightful evening, superb food and tranquil atmosphere. Just right for a Richmond summer evening! I've already made reservations for the end of September to fine with friends. Try the daily specials. You can't go wrong! I love the portobello appetizer! And salted caramel gelato! Always great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More view than substancegenerob61Dined on 8/24/2014Portico is filled with charm. It's terrace is second to none in the area. If only the food matched its charm! Tried it for lunch one day. Food was good, but the service was sparce. Went back for a try at dinner and this time the service was ample, but the food (specifically the pan seared red snapper) was almost inedible. The first time I have ever had to use a knife to cut fish that had no taste!Special Features:
- Bella Notte!FamilyFunDined on 8/23/2014Great Night! Great Setting! Great Service! We had a wonderful time celebrating our anniversarySpecial Features:
- SweetnewbieDined on 8/22/2014This was our first visit to Portico, but it won't be the last. We dined outside on a beautiful evening, the atmosphere with garden was wonderful, the food was very good. We're considering a group event in October--we've been told the floor outside is heated, there is a huge fireplace and heat lamps. The prices were reasonable; overall, a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Outdoor dining at its bestFlldinersVIPDined on 8/16/2014So what a wonderful evening having dinner under the stars. All entrees were excellent. Service was great and the ambience, incredible. I definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor area!KrismllrDined on 8/16/2014Great food, wonderful atmosphere and great service! Loved the outdoor seating area, so picturesque!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continued service dissappointmentsNeighborVIPDined on 8/16/2014Once again my favorite outdoor restaurant fell short... Sat nite.... 6:30 PM... 2 for dinner...... not 100% full yet.... sat out in patio... 1st table to the left.... believe server was Ben. The server was disinterested, not knowledgeable and invisible most of the dinner..... asked about the soup of the day.. didn't know.. said he'd come back ... didn't.. asked about wine... sauvignon blanc... didn't know kept looking around and behind me.. both of us noticed.. finally I asked, "What are you looking at?" and turned around to see... he didn't respond or chg behavior. Food: Salmon Roulade- boring at best; soggy veggies. Veal Picata- no lemon in the sauce/offered on the side... veal mushy and tasteless.. looked gray and unappetizing.
- Worth it!MadonnaDined on 8/15/2014Food was great. Server was fun and knowledgeable. Had to wait even with reservation but worth it . Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet DinningeatoutDined on 8/11/2014Food was good. Service good. Although we did not eat outside, the outdoor setup looked great. Will return and try different things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Richmond SpotGlutenFreeFoodieDined on 8/10/2014This is one of my favorite dining spots in Richmond. Dining outside on a beautiful day/evening is heaven. I'm always impressed with the service and food. They are knowledgeable and accommodating with my gluten free needs.Special Features:
- Consistently Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Food, service and ambiance are consistently excellent. I look forward to Fall and Winter to enjoy the outdoor fireplace before dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resort-type SettingIgorDined on 8/9/2014Eating on the patio surrounded by beautiful gardens and then receiving good service and tasty food is a special event. Very enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noooDined on 8/5/2014Food was very good, we very much enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- portico is magnificoluvnvaDined on 8/4/2014I went here for my birthday dinner and really enjoyed it. Had the fried calamari, rosemary chicken and tartufo. Lucked out with nice weather in August so got to sit outside and enjoy the patio. Ambience and scenery are fabulous. Food was pretty good and the service was good. I would go there again for a special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our best experience there ever...TerryDined on 7/30/2014The perfect summer evening weather did add a lot to the experience, but the food and service were also just about perfect. Portico is very popular, so reservations are a must. Get there early for outside seating--the surrounding gardens are really pretty.Special Features:
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/29/2014Portico is a great combination of good solid food execution and great ambiance if you are lucky enough to score a table on their gorgeous outdoor patio, or one inside near a window. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- A Romantic EveniingARIADNEDined on 7/29/2014My husband and I enjoyed an anniversary dinner at Portico on a beautiful, cool summer evening. The outdoor dining was worth waiting for but I was surprised that with a reservation that asked for outdoor dining we had to wait 15 minutes. Our waitress was pleasant and made certain that we were enjoying our dining experience.Special Features:
- winemanVIPDined on 7/29/2014WELL WORTH THE TRIP TO THE WEST END!!! THE FOOD AND SERVICE ARE ABOVE AVERAGE AND THE ATMOSPHERE IS UNMATCHED ANYWHERE IN THE RICHMOND AREA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Reserved table for 7, arrived to a table for 6. Wonderful outside terrace/garden setting. Numerous umbrellas to shade guests from sun, however the outer perimeter did not have these. Need extra umbrellas around the perimeter of the terrace .Wait staff was polite, but not terribly friendly. Our waitress seemed somewhat stressed . Someone ordered sparkling water and when asked why she was served a large bottle, was told that's all they had. Someone ordered Salad Caprese, and had envisioned the traditional salad, but was served a full plate of field greens with 3 half slices of tomato and mozzarella cheese around the edge of the plate. She was very disappointed.Special Features:
- Great find!Randy19Dined on 7/28/2014Wonderful ambience! Great food! Love the place! Indoor and outdoor eating is wonderful too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EtufekciDined on 7/26/2014Great restaurant with delicious food selection and ambiance. It was very easy to make a reservation and the valet only parking made the evening even feel like more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place overall!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014Portico is a great place overall for lunch or dinner...Great food and very pleasant atmosphere...My only suggestion would be to make sure your staff adjusts the umbrellas during the hotter part of the day without us having to ask...I think the large crowds that you deal with speaks for the success of your restaurant....LSSpecial Features: