Portico Restaurant - Richmond
12506 River Road
Richmond, VA 23238Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Portico Restaurant - Richmond
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://porticorichmond.com/
- Phone: (804) 784-4800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Lunch : Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Brunch: Sunday : 10:00 am -2:30pm
Lunch: For Parties of Six Guests or more only.
Dinner : Two or more Guests
All Reservations are confirmed for inside dining only.
Patio seating is not reserved but first available when your party arrives.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Portico Restaurant - Richmond
Italian inspired Cuisine in a charming and beautiful country setting with outdoor dining. Stone terrace with large fireplace nestled between aromatic herb and flower gardens.Continued
Please click on "More Details" for reservation information.
Please click on "More Details" for reservation information.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Portico Restaurant - Richmond - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Portico Restaurant - Richmond reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (114)romantic (76)neighborhood gem (70)special occasion (66)fit for foodies (54)scenic view (37)good for groups (31)great for lunch (29)notable wine list (15)great for brunch (13)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Neighborhood Gem5fordinnerDined on 11/15/2014The food and service at Portico was excellent. Our appetizer was artichokes and crab served with toasted Italian bread and greens. The presentation was beautiful and the taste outstanding. I had veal and my daughter had the fish of the day. Both looked beautiful on the plates. We were given an assortment of fresh crisp vegetables and mashed potatoes. Everything was delicious. The sauce of the veal was complimentary and did not overshadow the veal. The only complaint I had was that it was noisy. We were seated in the bar area and would have preferred another dining space. It was our first time to Portico but we look forward to many more visits and will request the other dining room and hopefully when the weather is warm enough we will eat outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014I love Portico! My husband and I have gone twice before one for a date night and the other for his moms birthday. Each time amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group TripOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014Was in Richmond for the Marathon and had a group of 6. We had a nice table and the food was really good. Some even had enough to take home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MotaVIPDined on 11/11/2014The perfect spot for an early dinner on a rainy and chilly fall evening. We each had an appetizer, split one of four regular house pizzas. a reasonably priced bottle of red wine and we had just would we need to head back into the chilly drizzle. Super service and the on-premise owner always check in. Terrific night.Special Features:
- Amazing Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/1/2014My wife and I went here for a birthday dinner celebration and were blown away by how good the food was! The restaurant is small and it was a little noisy/hopping on a Saturday night, but the food more than made up for it. I had the crab-stuffed shrimp with lobster cream sauce and it...was...awesome!Special Features:
- JballsonDined on 11/1/2014We have visited Portico several times and we are always very please with every asepct of the experience. IF you are with a group or on a date, this is a great place!!!Special Features:
- dining al fresco!eyeforfoodDined on 10/28/2014We celebrated our anniversary on a starry evening at an outside table near the fireplace, temps about 72 degrees. The waiters were engaging and not overly attentive which we liked. The pasta was cooked to perfection and the corvina special fish was delectable. Loved the deconstructed tiramusu dessert. Great dinner made even more special by the nice fall outdoor al fresco dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining venueWheresTheBeefDined on 10/26/2014Outstanding food, outstanding service, outstanding outdoor dining experience, creative menuSpecial Features:
- Dining Under the StarsKarverlyDined on 10/25/2014Dining in their outside area is a wonderful experience. As in the past, the service was on the spot. We ordered the lamb dish, veal, shrimp, and believe it or not, I ordered the cheeseburger and fries because they prepare it exactly as I like it, rare. Everyone said their dishes were delicious. After dinner, we enjoyed our after dinner drinks by the big, warm fireplace and hated when we had to leave. Even though the location may seem way out there, it's so worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Rightlifeisgood2meDined on 10/17/2014Time, service, atmosphere and food all made for a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014Very, very nice...Been here several times and the dining experience is fabulous. Helpful wait staff, knowledgeable chef. This location ~ being in the country with the lovely landscaping and night lighting make this such a special destination. A great place to do a group, a couple, celebrate anything special, or bring out of town guests. A "fav" of many of my foodie friends!Special Features:
- Another wonderful eveningFlldinersVIPDined on 10/10/2014Even though the weather did not cooperate, it was another Wonderful dining experience. Great salads and delicious entrees. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of my favoritesfergie67VIPDined on 10/8/2014Portico always pleases and is so nice outside in the fall. Beautiful outdoor stone fireplace really sets the mood. Food is top notch and owner is typically on hard to insure satisfaction. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Outdoor DiningKarverlyDined on 10/7/2014This was our first time at this restaurant, but we are familiar with the owner. The outdoor dining area is beautiful. Everyone loved their entrees, but my steak was tough and overcooked. Once our server was informed, an apology and a replacement was offered. We definitely will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming place for lunch or dinnerBluffDined on 10/5/2014We have been to Portico many times for lunch and dinner and it never fails to disappoint . Charming atmosphere and wonderful service.Special Features:
- Highly Recommended by a friendOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2014We traveled to Richmond for an Opera Matinee and a local friend suggested Portico as our after-performance dinner. Easy to find, and what a delight once we were there! The weather's turning chilly, so we were hesitant to dine outside, but they had booked all the inside tables with big parties, so we didn't have much choice. The waiters had a little challenge getting the tableside heater up and running, but once they did we were fine. Every course was a delightful surprise, with the stars of the meal being our Eggplant special and the Lamb risotto. The outdoor ambiance was quite pleasant, fire in the outdoor fireplace, multiple candles on the tables, etc, the waiter was knowledgeable and friendly, we couldn't have asked for more.Special Features:
- Perfect Eveningdavcano421Dined on 10/2/2014We had driven by Portico many times and looked up the restaurant online. We decided to wait for our date night to finally venture over. It was even better than we imagined and anticipated. The ambiance, service, and food were amazing! The restaurant is incredibly perfect. Since we are extraordinarily busy, our one date night every month is important to us. Portico validated our choice and has become our date night restaurant. We cannot wait for the next trip out.Special Features:
- Always goodNotMyFirstRodeoDined on 9/30/2014I've only been here about 6 times or so and this was the first time I've been able to sit outside. It's a beautiful setting with always very good food to match. Mussels special was fantastic. I was a little nervous that the truffle cream sauce was going to be overbearing but it was perfectly executed with just enough of each ingredient to enhance, without being overbearing at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014My husband and I went to Portico for our anniversary and had a lovely dinner. The food is a little salty but still good. The desserts are amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Pork was tough and lacked seasoning. Broccoli was overcooked. Seafood and lamb good. Lettuce wedge good. Dessert delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerJLDineDined on 9/26/2014Portico had great ambiance and delicious food with comfortable and spacious outdoor dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The manager is a jerkKeydetDined on 9/23/2014I took my boss and two customers to Portico this week for a business dinner. We all arrived separately. Upon arrival, the valets said we were required to valet our cars, no exceptions. They couldn't really give us a good answer why. Didn't make sense but we handed over our keys. Dinner was decent. The food was OK. The waiter did a great job. We pay our bill and get out front and there is a line of people waiting for the two valets to bring their cars around. Our party ended up waiting about 20 min. During that time I asked to speak to the manager. He came outside and was rude and sarcastic in front of our party and other guests. He was almost yelling...said the county required him to valet all cars. Due to his rudeness I will never return.
- Great once again!cmctdcDined on 9/23/2014Been to Portico about 6 times in the last 9 months. Always ready to go back! It's become one of my favorite dinner places. Food is always fresh, hot and delicious. Love sitting outside;the beautiful landscape. If you haven't been you are missing out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good !JakeDined on 9/21/2014I have never had a bad meal at Portico! I highly recommend dining outside, even if it is a little chilly they have heaters and an outdoor fireplace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/21/2014Always a special place. Loved the outdoor patio. AND the calves liver---WOW---best ever!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UR MomURMomVIPDined on 9/20/2014Portico was an excellent choice for dinner for UR parent's weekend with my daughter, her friends and their parents. Food was excellent and they handled our very large party with care and finesse. The proprieter is a NYC transplant who understands great Italian Food. I would highly recommend Portico and will definitely return. Would love to sit outside next time.Special Features:
- GoochlanderDined on 9/19/2014Love the gardens and the outside fireplace. Always a fun time. Will be going back.Special Features:
- WonderfulBarryDined on 9/19/2014Great venue for date night. More seating outside than inside, so I'm not sure what they do in colder weather. Highly recommend, but get a reservation early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedCasualdiner28Dined on 9/18/2014My wife had been to Portico for lunch and loved the atmosphere and food so we decided to have our anniversary dinner there. The weather cooperated so we dined on the patio. We chose a wine that we had not previously tried on a waiter's recommendation and we both ordered the daily special (ribeye steak, potatoes, and vegetables) and we both added a salad. The food was delicious and the service was very good without being intrusive. After dinner, we lingered a bit with coffee and dessert and did not feel rushed by the staff to free up our table. Overall, it was a very good dining experience. I would do it all again the same, even the wine, which I have now added to my list of wines that I have tried and liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girl's NightgoldieDined on 9/17/2014Took my girlfriends here for the first time the other night and had a great time. Great house wine and delicious food. Although it was a little more expensive than our usual haunts it was a nice change. We ate outside and had great weather. We will be back to try more items on the menu. Can't wait to try the veal next time.Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable!lynnstabby48Dined on 9/16/2014We love this restaurant! We came here for our anniversary!! The weather was perfect and the food was great! If you like outdoor dining, this is the place to go. Service was good and the manager came to our table & talked with us for a few minutes! The valet service was a nice touch too! Highly recommend!!Special Features:
- A favorite!KarenDined on 9/11/2014Portico has great food--much of it fresh and local. Wait staff is knowledgeable and friendly. The outdoor dining is beautiful!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/11/2014Folks in the area would probably not agree but being from out of town this restaurant appears out of nowhere! Not in a strip center or grouped with a lot of other restaurants; it seems like you are lost when BOOM, there it is. Beautiful grounds, large outside seating with gardens galore. Rustic enough to be interesting but modern throughout. Lamb Risotto was 5 Star, apps were great, fried oysters were perfect, as in not to much breading, fresh flavor. Desserts were outstanding (great selection). A little loud but good energy. Will go back! (I'm not a 5 Star person unless it is completely over the top so 4 Star is great).Special Features:
- Perfect for lunch with friends!FoodiemomDined on 9/8/2014It was the perfect place for 5 old friends to meet for lunch. And even though it was raining, and we couldn't have lunch in the beautiful garden, we enjoyed the good service - and the light lunch, of 1/2 soup & 1/2 sandwich, was exactly right for us. And delicious as well! I have to add that the pizza has gotten so much better, and a great appetizer to share.Special Features:
- Great for special occassionsMimiDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed dining at the Portico in Richmond VA. Very nice servers, delicious food and great attention to detail. We plan to return there soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvVMFADined on 8/30/2014The food was very good as was the service. The outdoor dining was very romantic, but with only 4 candles per table, our aging eyes had difficulty seeing the menu and the food. Maybe keep a small flashlight on hand at least for guests to read the menu?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great hide-away on River RoadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent food and good wine served on a beautiful patio in an English Garden Setting, or inside with a great view of the garden. Prompt and courteous service.Special Features:
- Lovely evening!cmctdcDined on 8/25/2014This was my 4th trip to Portico. Each time I come with different dinner companions but each time I experience a delightful evening, superb food and tranquil atmosphere. Just right for a Richmond summer evening! I've already made reservations for the end of September to fine with friends. Try the daily specials. You can't go wrong! I love the portobello appetizer! And salted caramel gelato! Always great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More view than substancegenerob61Dined on 8/24/2014Portico is filled with charm. It's terrace is second to none in the area. If only the food matched its charm! Tried it for lunch one day. Food was good, but the service was sparce. Went back for a try at dinner and this time the service was ample, but the food (specifically the pan seared red snapper) was almost inedible. The first time I have ever had to use a knife to cut fish that had no taste!Special Features:
- Bella Notte!FamilyFunDined on 8/23/2014Great Night! Great Setting! Great Service! We had a wonderful time celebrating our anniversarySpecial Features: