Portico Restaurant - Richmond
12506 River Road
Richmond, VA 23238Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Portico Restaurant - Richmond
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://porticorichmond.com/
- Phone: 8047844800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Lunch : Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Brunch: Sunday : 10:00 am -2:30pm
Lunch: For Parties of Six Guests or more only.
Dinner : Two or more Guests
All Reservations are confirmed for inside dining only.
Patio seating is not reserved but first available when your party arrives.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Portico Restaurant - Richmond
Italian inspired Cuisine in a charming and beautiful country setting with outdoor dining. Stone terrace with large fireplace nestled between aromatic herb and flower gardens.Continued
Please click on "More Details" for reservation information.
Please click on "More Details" for reservation information.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Portico Restaurant - Richmond - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Portico Restaurant - Richmond reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (126)special occasion (85)romantic (76)neighborhood gem (65)scenic view (53)fit for foodies (40)great for lunch (34)good for groups (34)great for brunch (27)hot spot (12)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- A favorite!KarenDined on 9/11/2014Portico has great food--much of it fresh and local. Wait staff is knowledgeable and friendly. The outdoor dining is beautiful!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/11/2014Folks in the area would probably not agree but being from out of town this restaurant appears out of nowhere! Not in a strip center or grouped with a lot of other restaurants; it seems like you are lost when BOOM, there it is. Beautiful grounds, large outside seating with gardens galore. Rustic enough to be interesting but modern throughout. Lamb Risotto was 5 Star, apps were great, fried oysters were perfect, as in not to much breading, fresh flavor. Desserts were outstanding (great selection). A little loud but good energy. Will go back! (I'm not a 5 Star person unless it is completely over the top so 4 Star is great).Special Features:
- Perfect for lunch with friends!FoodiemomDined on 9/8/2014It was the perfect place for 5 old friends to meet for lunch. And even though it was raining, and we couldn't have lunch in the beautiful garden, we enjoyed the good service - and the light lunch, of 1/2 soup & 1/2 sandwich, was exactly right for us. And delicious as well! I have to add that the pizza has gotten so much better, and a great appetizer to share.Special Features:
- Great for special occassionsMimiDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed dining at the Portico in Richmond VA. Very nice servers, delicious food and great attention to detail. We plan to return there soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvVMFADined on 8/30/2014The food was very good as was the service. The outdoor dining was very romantic, but with only 4 candles per table, our aging eyes had difficulty seeing the menu and the food. Maybe keep a small flashlight on hand at least for guests to read the menu?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great hide-away on River RoadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent food and good wine served on a beautiful patio in an English Garden Setting, or inside with a great view of the garden. Prompt and courteous service.Special Features:
- Lovely evening!cmctdcDined on 8/25/2014This was my 4th trip to Portico. Each time I come with different dinner companions but each time I experience a delightful evening, superb food and tranquil atmosphere. Just right for a Richmond summer evening! I've already made reservations for the end of September to fine with friends. Try the daily specials. You can't go wrong! I love the portobello appetizer! And salted caramel gelato! Always great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More view than substancegenerob61Dined on 8/24/2014Portico is filled with charm. It's terrace is second to none in the area. If only the food matched its charm! Tried it for lunch one day. Food was good, but the service was sparce. Went back for a try at dinner and this time the service was ample, but the food (specifically the pan seared red snapper) was almost inedible. The first time I have ever had to use a knife to cut fish that had no taste!Special Features:
- Bella Notte!FamilyFunDined on 8/23/2014Great Night! Great Setting! Great Service! We had a wonderful time celebrating our anniversarySpecial Features:
- SweetnewbieDined on 8/22/2014This was our first visit to Portico, but it won't be the last. We dined outside on a beautiful evening, the atmosphere with garden was wonderful, the food was very good. We're considering a group event in October--we've been told the floor outside is heated, there is a huge fireplace and heat lamps. The prices were reasonable; overall, a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Outdoor dining at its bestFlldinersVIPDined on 8/16/2014So what a wonderful evening having dinner under the stars. All entrees were excellent. Service was great and the ambience, incredible. I definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor area!KrismllrDined on 8/16/2014Great food, wonderful atmosphere and great service! Loved the outdoor seating area, so picturesque!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continued service dissappointmentsNeighborVIPDined on 8/16/2014Once again my favorite outdoor restaurant fell short... Sat nite.... 6:30 PM... 2 for dinner...... not 100% full yet.... sat out in patio... 1st table to the left.... believe server was Ben. The server was disinterested, not knowledgeable and invisible most of the dinner..... asked about the soup of the day.. didn't know.. said he'd come back ... didn't.. asked about wine... sauvignon blanc... didn't know kept looking around and behind me.. both of us noticed.. finally I asked, "What are you looking at?" and turned around to see... he didn't respond or chg behavior. Food: Salmon Roulade- boring at best; soggy veggies. Veal Picata- no lemon in the sauce/offered on the side... veal mushy and tasteless.. looked gray and unappetizing.
- Worth it!MadonnaDined on 8/15/2014Food was great. Server was fun and knowledgeable. Had to wait even with reservation but worth it . Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet DinningeatoutDined on 8/11/2014Food was good. Service good. Although we did not eat outside, the outdoor setup looked great. Will return and try different things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Richmond SpotGlutenFreeFoodieDined on 8/10/2014This is one of my favorite dining spots in Richmond. Dining outside on a beautiful day/evening is heaven. I'm always impressed with the service and food. They are knowledgeable and accommodating with my gluten free needs.Special Features:
- Consistently Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Food, service and ambiance are consistently excellent. I look forward to Fall and Winter to enjoy the outdoor fireplace before dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resort-type SettingIgorDined on 8/9/2014Eating on the patio surrounded by beautiful gardens and then receiving good service and tasty food is a special event. Very enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noooDined on 8/5/2014Food was very good, we very much enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- portico is magnificoluvnvaDined on 8/4/2014I went here for my birthday dinner and really enjoyed it. Had the fried calamari, rosemary chicken and tartufo. Lucked out with nice weather in August so got to sit outside and enjoy the patio. Ambience and scenery are fabulous. Food was pretty good and the service was good. I would go there again for a special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our best experience there ever...TerryDined on 7/30/2014The perfect summer evening weather did add a lot to the experience, but the food and service were also just about perfect. Portico is very popular, so reservations are a must. Get there early for outside seating--the surrounding gardens are really pretty.Special Features:
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/29/2014Portico is a great combination of good solid food execution and great ambiance if you are lucky enough to score a table on their gorgeous outdoor patio, or one inside near a window. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- A Romantic EveniingARIADNEDined on 7/29/2014My husband and I enjoyed an anniversary dinner at Portico on a beautiful, cool summer evening. The outdoor dining was worth waiting for but I was surprised that with a reservation that asked for outdoor dining we had to wait 15 minutes. Our waitress was pleasant and made certain that we were enjoying our dining experience.Special Features:
- winemanVIPDined on 7/29/2014WELL WORTH THE TRIP TO THE WEST END!!! THE FOOD AND SERVICE ARE ABOVE AVERAGE AND THE ATMOSPHERE IS UNMATCHED ANYWHERE IN THE RICHMOND AREA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Reserved table for 7, arrived to a table for 6. Wonderful outside terrace/garden setting. Numerous umbrellas to shade guests from sun, however the outer perimeter did not have these. Need extra umbrellas around the perimeter of the terrace .Wait staff was polite, but not terribly friendly. Our waitress seemed somewhat stressed . Someone ordered sparkling water and when asked why she was served a large bottle, was told that's all they had. Someone ordered Salad Caprese, and had envisioned the traditional salad, but was served a full plate of field greens with 3 half slices of tomato and mozzarella cheese around the edge of the plate. She was very disappointed.Special Features:
- Great find!Randy19Dined on 7/28/2014Wonderful ambience! Great food! Love the place! Indoor and outdoor eating is wonderful too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EtufekciDined on 7/26/2014Great restaurant with delicious food selection and ambiance. It was very easy to make a reservation and the valet only parking made the evening even feel like more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place overall!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014Portico is a great place overall for lunch or dinner...Great food and very pleasant atmosphere...My only suggestion would be to make sure your staff adjusts the umbrellas during the hotter part of the day without us having to ask...I think the large crowds that you deal with speaks for the success of your restaurant....LSSpecial Features:
- There are far better options in RVARVAdinerVIPDined on 7/25/2014Food was bland, the menu lacked creativity, and the noise level was too loud despite our outdoor table. We felt like we were yelling to hear each other because the tables were packed in so tight on the patio. There are far superior options in Richmond, especially if you want outdoor seating. The outdoor area is nice but their ho-hum menu and food, combined with the loud setting, don't warrant a return visit from us. Not worth a short drive, let alone a drive to the outer edges of town.
- Portico-River Rd, Richmond, VAOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2014Four of us ordered different entrees and appetizers. Everyone was very pleased and portions were substantial so we all took extras home with us. I think all of us would definitely return. It's a lovely setting with indoor and outdoor seating which can probably be utilized a good 6 months of the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden SecretKatherine1stDined on 7/21/2014I have lived in Richmond for a very long time and did not know that this secret gem was hidden on River Road just minutes from my home. The food was excellent and so very fresh. The small outdoor dining was intimate and memorable. I had a wonderful anniversary dinner with my husband this past Monday. I am telling everyone who enjoys fine dining and fine wine to check this place out.Special Features:
- A PleasureJavaunoDined on 7/20/2014We arriveed on time and were led immediately to our table. Dinner was great and the staff was very atentiv e.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer night delightsongbird71Dined on 7/19/2014Portico is the perfect place for a night of outdoor summer night dining. The patio and gardens were a delightful surrounding during our dinner. The service was great! My husband and I each had a glass of red wine (Shiraz and Malbec). We weren't thrilled with either choice. The tomato basil soup, a special last night, was delicious. We each ordered a different pizza (Margarita and Portico). They were good but nothing special, although, the gorgonzola was a nice touch on the Pizza Portico. We had the tiramisu sundae for dessert which was good, but I couldn't taste much of the liquors. Overall the food was good, but the atmosphere is what I would go back for, on a pretty night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambience...StewDined on 7/18/2014The outdoor patio is beautiful but the food is not fantastic. It seems like they charge for the atmosphere! When we got our check and it was over $100, we were both disappointed. We didn't walk out thinking that was a fantastic meal for the high price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal on the patioCindyDined on 7/12/2014Portico continues to be one of our favorite restaurants - especially for special occasions! The food is always delicious and eeating outsiode is truly a pleasure!Special Features:
- Great fun!RichDined on 7/10/2014Met some colleagues for drinks and dinner and was super pleased with the service (thanks Nick!) and my meal (corvino w wine reduction-YUM!). Definitely on the top of my list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian CuisineDAVERDined on 7/7/2014We previously lived in Italy for 8 years and Portico is one of the few stateside restaurants we've found that has authentic Italian cuisine. You'll pay a little more than at other so-called Italian restaurants, but the cost is well worth the quality. Outstanding in all respects.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a Nice ExperienceLuvAvonNCDined on 7/6/2014My son gave my husband and me a gift certificate for Christmas. Well, what a perfect gift it was! We were greeted immediately and shown to an outdoor table. The outside patio was a lovely spot - gardens everywhere. We had a wonderful server and the food was perfect. My husband had the sea bass special and I enjoyed the lamb risotto. Both meals were perfect. The prices are reasonable and the experience was enjoyable. We will go again.Special Features:
- Perfect for BrunchSeniorFoodiesVIPDined on 7/6/2014Though we've been often for dinner, this was the first time we went for brunch. It was wonderful! Menu options were varied and appealing. Food was delicious and service was outstanding! The setting is beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locationLovetoeatDined on 7/5/2014We were a group of 6. We had a wonderful meal in beautiful surroundings. The service was very good.Special Features: