Porter's Steakhouse in the Read House Historic Inn & Suites
827 Broad Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Porter's Steakhouse in the Read House Historic Inn & Suites
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.porterssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (423) 643-1240
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 6:30am - 10:30am; Lunch Daily: 10:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Bill Thompson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Porter's Steakhouse can cater functions from 10 to 30 in our Private Dining areas. For larger events, Porter's Culinary Team works with the Sheraton Read House Hotel Catering Department. Call us at 423-643-1371.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Room's can accommodate groups of up to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Melanie Hadaway 4236431225x
A word from Porter's Steakhouse in the Read House Historic Inn & Suites
Experience Chef Bill Thompson's unique twist on the ordinary, created with a blend of the finest ingredients, contemporary cuisine, and family-style service. Porter's philosophy is to serve simple preparations with the best available ingredients. We offer the best steaks available. Our seafood is of uncompromising quality, and our appetizers and side dishes have been carefully selected to complement our entrées.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Porter's Steakhouse in the Read House Historic Inn & Suites reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (23)romantic (18)notable wine list (16)neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (12)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Romance A Little SpoiledChattmanDined on 11/21/2014My wife and I went to Porter's to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Everything was great until a homeless person outside came up to the window (we were right next to the window) and stared at us while we were eating. Then the person went around the corner and stared at the people through their window, also. From the valet, to the food, to the server, to dessert, everything was terrific. But on an anniversary I did not appreciate being watched from the sidewalk, or the "guilt" feelings that this person was obviously trying to instill. If I ever go back again, I will request a table away from a window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An eventDanielDined on 11/3/2014Our recent dinner at Porter's Steakhouse was amazing. We received a warm welcome, had the best steak in town and enjoyed our service. Thanks for a memorable experience.Special Features:
- Nice PlaceAroundTownDined on 10/25/2014It was nice place in a very historic part of Chattanooga. We were there for convention and saw other's reviews. The services was awesome and the ambiance was great. The food was pretty good. I would recommend it for anyone looking for more fine dining in Chattanooga.Special Features:
- Typical hotel restaurantFocriticDined on 9/21/2014We expected so much more for our Anniversary meal. We should have known something was wrong when we walked in and the restaurant was practically empty. The waiter was nice and attentive, but the food was bland and overpriced for a quality steakhouse.Special Features:
- "THE" Burger Bar in Chatt!FoodieontherunVIPDined on 9/11/2014Who would've "thunk" Porter's Steakhouse could have such a moment of flair. Come on...Steakhouse with a Burger Bar selection on their menu for Lunch...really? Does this event sound...?! Well I thought the same thing until I viewed the 9-specialty options that come in either Beef, Chicken or Lamb. Keeping it short: the Chef Bill's Burger...beef topped with fresh tomatoes, with crisp lettuce, onions, cheddar, and topped with fresh-battered onion rings...not those fake n' bake. Bliss is the only word I know. A Lunch-MUST for Foodies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tricks up their sleeve?FoodieontherunVIPDined on 9/10/2014I was "Lunch-ing" with a client most recently, and it was truly a salad type of day. Many locals are drawn by the "Chain-Restaurants-for-notable-salads." Local Gems such as Porter’s need not be overlooked; the Miso Glazed Salmon was something to behold. The Chef was courteous enough to drop off a sample of the Watermelon Soup (even I was a skeptic)...watermelon in a soup?! My client raved 2 days straight on this soup. Truly a Must-Do location for Lunch!Special Features:
- Diamond in the roughFoodieontherunVIPDined on 9/9/2014One often wonder where true quality service is these days?! Well Porter's definitely knows there stuff. From the service to the amazing food, and today's soup! I must say I'm a huge fan of the Quail on the menu, but that Burger Bar is something that can't be beat!Special Features:
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Above average food. Service was amazing. The atmosphere was more casual than upscale. Limited menu. Steak wasn't worth $85 very average. Little disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingBAHenryDined on 8/16/2014The steaks were cooked to perfection and the service was exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversaryztjones08Dined on 8/8/2014We ate here on 8/8 for our Anniversary and I would have to say, it was all fabulous. Great food, great cocktail list, great staff.Special Features:
- The following 274 reviews are from the Porter's Steakhouse in the Read House Historic Inn & Suites reviews archive.
- WOW and WonderfulgreatplaceDined on 6/14/2014My wife and I went there to celebrate our 27th Wedding Anniversary! The food was superb and talk about mouthwatering! Our steaks were cooked to perfection and the service is over the top!Special Features:
- Love the New MenuHappyMotherDined on 5/15/2014The new menu is wonderful! Loved the NOLA syle oysters. AMAZING!!Special Features:
- Bring back the house steak sauce!ChattMike74Dined on 5/9/2014We visited Porter's this weekend and were very disappointed to learn (after we received our food) that the house steak sauce was no longer an option. We were told the chef took it with him when he left but instead offered Heinz or A-1. We easily spend $150-$200 every time we visit. The steak was still good, but the house cut is way to spicy without the sauce. I hope they will take a hard look at bringing it back. I would definitely expect a little more from a prime steak house than Heinz 57.
- Awesome WedgeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Had the wedge salad and it was over the moon fantastic. Very fresh and crispy and the dressing was so tasty.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceGottogoagainDined on 4/25/2014I hadn't been to Porter's in a couple of years and really enjoyed my experience. The food was incredible, so glad I chose the Shrimp Scampi dish. Great atmosphere, made the evening so relaxing.Special Features:
- Great Easter Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014I brought my family to the Easter Brunch and they all enjoyed the excellent food. I particularly loved the ribeye, which was the most tender I had ever eaten! And the flavor was great! The only drawback is that we were the only people in the room at one point and it seemed kind of weird. I think next year we should begin advertising earlier and perhaps talk to some of the radio stations and try to do some tradeouts for on-air advertising.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special EasterHappyMotherDined on 4/20/2014The lamb was excellent. My server was great and I love the jazz. Can't wait till mothers day!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/16/2014The food was good, but I expected my NY Strip to be special since it was Prime Beef and the price was quite high, but it was just ok.Special Features:
- Perfect for celebrationbamaeatsDined on 4/3/2014My husband and I chose this restaurant to help mark our 21st anniversary. It was a wonderful experience from the staff to the food. We were greeted by a waiter with a winning smile and inviting attitude who was very knowledgeable with the restaurant's menu. He was able to answer our questions pertaining to items on their menu. Their French Onion soup was delicious and the Filet Mignon very tasty with no need to add steak sauce for added flavor. The Pork Chops are now a favorite of my husbands. We both shared their asparagus and onion rings and would recommend them as the perfect sides to any menu item. Both of us agree we shall return to Porter's Steakhouse to enjoy their atmosphere and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Dining ExperienceMeddyDined on 4/2/2014Porter's was a charming restaurant in a charming old hotel. The service was excellent, and we enjoyed our steaks very much (though, ironically, they were out of the porterhouse!). Try the Tobasco Onion Rings with your steak ... they were delicious! My only complaint was the wilty salad. So unnecessary. Overall, we felt the food and drinks were a bit overpriced, but would recommend this restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Dining ExperiencefoodseekerVIPDined on 3/30/2014We've lived in Chattanooga for nearly 14 years and had never visited Porter's -- the principal reason being: we don't eat "red" meat and were put off by the "Steakhouse" in the name. After looking at the menu and seeing some chicken and seafood dishes we decided to give Porter's a try.We ordered, shared and enjoyed the seafood sampler appetizer -- crabcakes, popcorn shrimp and seared ahi tuna. And, for the entre we both ordered the special: cinnamon-dusted scallops -- quite an interesting and delicious flavor combination. All things considered Porter's offered a very nice dining experience putting it among the best in Chattanooga -- which, of course, isn't saying much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this placeHappyMotherDined on 3/29/2014My seafood was great. Byron was my server and he was excllent!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerGretchDined on 3/18/2014We wanted a great steak and reserved atmosphere for our anniversary dinner, so we chose Porter's. I chose the Signature Pepperloin and it was awesome! My husband said the soup of the day was the best he had ever eaten. Everything was fresh, delicious, and very well presented. Wines were affordable and we chose the House Merlot, which was excellent. If asked why I would come back, however, I would say the CRAB CAKES!!! Byron, our waiter was a perfect mixture of friendliness and efficiency. The entire evening made our anniversary a memorable one and we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceTwsmith54VIPDined on 2/21/2014Very disappointed in the service the last time I went. It was definately not up to par!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time TogetherericbDined on 1/25/2014A very nice atmosphere and great food for an evening together with the love of my life. Thanks Porters!!!Special Features:
- We'll be back. :)LWDinerDined on 1/25/2014The food was excellent. Our server was a little flustered, and the CO2 was out, so my husband couldn't have the draft beer that he wanted, but he got a bottled choice that he liked. Overall, though, we really enjoyed our meal, and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a good time and ate wellTheCoveDined on 1/18/2014I was part of a group of 7. We were in town for a "convention" that was youth based. The manager and staff were all great with us, and other tables, even though (I would bet) half of our party was a lot younger than the "average" customer age. More importantly, the food was fantastic and well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasiontank1Dined on 1/18/2014The food was good but not great enough for the steep price. Service at dinner was excellent. The restaurant noise level was somewhat a damper on the romantic dinner we had planned.Special Features:
- A special night...1-13-14WintertravelerDined on 1/13/2014We celebrated a special event with friends at Porters and were not disappointed. Service was always available when needed, but not obtrusive when we were busy visiting among friends. Everyone liked their meal whether steak or seafood. The view of Chattanooga downtown in the rain was an extra bonus knowing we were protected from the rain because of inside valet parking. A very nice evening! Will all return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion dining!VKnightDined on 12/31/2013My dear wife and I went to Porter's for a first-time New Year's Eve date. The service and food were superb! Food is a bit pricey but Porter's is worth the special occasion price! Highly recommended for a nice dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Porters on New YearsGossmannDined on 12/31/2013This is the third time we've been to porters on New Year's Eve And would go again. The bone in rib eye was wonderful! The crab finger appetizer wasn't very good and REALLY made Me miss the crab claws at Old Ebbitt in DC. Those would be A nice addition to the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large GroupHappyMotherDined on 12/30/2013We had a large group and they handled us well. Our waiter was great and I had the porterhouse. YUM. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for ChristmasPersiaDined on 12/25/2013Was very deflating experience. Restaurant had a good Thanksgiving meal but had no Christmas selection at all. The poor staff did not have enough support so it was terribly slow service and the food was very poor in taste and presentation. The staff did the best they could. Would not recommend as a Christmas Lunch alternative in the future. It was very embarassing.
- Good Overall w/Downtown ConvenienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/21/2013We eat at Porter's when attending downtown events. David provided us very good service and took extra care ensuring food prep/serving needs were met (wife has Celiac and must eat gluten-free). All entrees/sides were very good, except potatoes au gratin were a little overcooked/dry (still acceptable). All but one dessert was good....especially the orange cake (out-of-this world!). The single faux pas pertained to a blueberry cobbler, which came as only blueberry filling and a scoop of ice cream, with no cobbler crust at all. While searching for crust in the bottom, the ice cream melted right away, making dessert basically a warm blueberry soup (should have been comp'd but wasn't). OK overall experience and will go back, due to location.Special Features:
- wowHappyMotherDined on 11/28/2013The Thanksgiving buffet was spectacular. Huge buffets to choose from beautiful decorations. I've got to get the stuffing recipe. the jazz was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitlovechatttownDined on 11/28/2013This was our first time dining at Porter's. Food was great, but service was slow even though the dining area didn't seem crowded. Liked the free valet parking especially since it was so cold that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't pay for the buffetThehungryTurkeyDined on 11/28/2013We made reservations for Porter's this Thanksgiving expecting the same fresh food and festive atmosphere we had there last year. Unfortunately they had a buffet set in a banquet hall instead of the actual restaurant. The atmosphere was very stiff and too quiet. The band was playing elevator music. I even overheard a mother apologize to her teen daughters boyfriend that he had to be there. The food was mediocre. The deserts were lovely to look at but lackluster to taste. Wine was not included in the $49.50 per person charge. The service was oddly worse than when they were slammed the year before and we had to pay a mandatory $22.00 gratuity. Our total bill was $132.00! I felt like the turkey this Thanksgiving.
- what a great nightHappyMotherDined on 11/28/2013This is my favorite restaurant. The service was excellent. Good, ad always was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellenceHappyMotherDined on 11/21/2013It's an excellent restaurant. The shrimp and steaks are great. Excellent service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great FoodJoanieDined on 11/17/2013Food was so good. I had salmon, my husband has steak, our guests had pasta. It was all wonderful. We would certainly return.Special Features: