Porter's City Tavern
2412 Hillsborough St
Raleigh, NC 27607Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Porter's City Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.porterstavern.com/
- Phone: 9198212133
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Satutrday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian Woodworth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Porter"s Intermezzo Room seats up to 55 people for a sit-down dinner, or 60-70 for a cocktail affair. The shape and design of the room makes it equally comfortable and intimate for smaller groups. Sound-proof doors, Separated sound system, Audio/Visual equipment- including an overhead projector (DVD & Computer ready)- all ensure your event at Porter's- whether a rehearsal dinner, a business meeting, or an alumni reunion- will be a unique success!
- Private Party Contact: Kira Krauss 9196334337
- Cross Street: Chamberlin
- Public Transit: Stops available on the Avent Ferry 1 bus line (City of Raleigh), or the Wolf-Line.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: In addition to street parking out front- Porter"s offers parking validation for the Logan Court Parking Lot less than a block away. This is a self-pay parking lot, which accepts change, cash, and credit cards. Simply bring your receipt in, and we'll take that amount off your check!
A word from Porter's City Tavern
Contemporary American in a Contemporary Setting, Porter's City Tavern features the best meats, fish, and produce North Carolina offers. An outstanding selection of steaks, house made pastas, ground in house burgers, and exciting appetizers combine to make Porter's menu perfect for all occasions. Add to that a great list of craft beer on tap, innovative cocktails, and a thoughtful, representative wine list, and you have the perfect recipe for a great night out!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Porter's City Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
- We love Porter'scathysuDined on 6/29/2013We had a reservation for 11 people before going to a concert and Porter's did a great job getting us out on time (without making us feel rushed). Our server was excellent and everyone loved their food. We have been going to Porter's off and on since they opened and have never had a bad experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no complaints here. love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/23/2013held a baby shower at Porter's on Sunday for brunch - it was fantastic. our table was already set-up, the manager was very accommodating as well as the wait-staff. very professional. they weren't overbearing, they let us do our thing and were available whenever we needed them. the food was phenomenal - no complaints at all, and that's a rarity for me. A++Special Features:
- Better than expected!nobhillgemDined on 6/21/2013Saw some mixed reviews on this place but have to say we were very pleasantly surprised by what a wonderful meal we had. They managed to make three generations happy, including a couple of Tweens and some foodies. Portions are big be aware. We over-ordered but had lots of fun boxes to take away. Will definitely come back on our next trip to Raleigh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but not so good serviceTomLDined on 6/16/2013We went to the restaurant on Father's Day for brunch, so the place was quite crowded. The food was good, but the service was not so good. We waited a long time until they took our order and the person who waited on us brought the brunch menu with sausage instead of beacon as my husband ordered. We did not return the food, however. We might go back but certainly not on a busy day.Special Features:
- Fantastic Discoverylove2dineoutDined on 6/15/2013I've lived in the area for 25 years and have never been to Porter's. The food was wonderful, the server was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He recommended the beef short rib potato skin appetizer and it was delicious. He made sure everything was prepared as we had ordered it and checked back often. We sat in the bar area, so it was slightly noisier than the dining room would have been, but it didn't detract from the overall experience. I will definitely return to Porter's and would highly recommend this treasure on Hillsborough St!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodJoshDined on 6/8/2013We sat outside at around 830 on a sat night while NCSU was on break. Small table, but it was pleasant. Might get loud with more foot/car traffic during school semesters. Decent draft beer selections and my date got a cosmohito, which was awesome. We split calamari (very good) and I had the top sirloin (it was ok) and she had the scallops (very good). Service was solid too. I wont frequent the place, but id def go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were from out of town,susuDined on 6/7/2013We were from out of town, looking for good beer and a nice meal. We found that at Porters. The waitress was very nice--gave us a sample of a beer before we made out decision. Smoked turkey ravioli was very good and the salmon was cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- This was our first visit toCoomomeVIPDined on 5/13/2013This was our first visit to Porter's and loved it! The food was fabulous and the wait staff was superb. I never ordinarily order pork chops as I have been so disappointed in the past but this is their signature item and it was highly recommended by our waiter. WOW! Simply fabulous.Special Features:
- What happened to service?Jdw6144Dined on 5/12/2013We had reservations for 6 and 4 arrived before my brother and I did. When both my brother and I arrived (separately) no host or hostess greeted us. I arrived probably 8 mins after they did and it took at least 10 mins for the waiter to come ask for my drink order. I just wanted a water. About 5 mins later, my brother arrived. It took about 10 mins for the waiter to notice him and take his drink order. He wanted water also. It took the waiter over 30 mins to bring our waters after having to stop and ask him where they were at least five times. Once everyone had water, two of our party ordered coffee. This took another 30 mins to wrangle up! Our waiter did complain to us about being out of coffee cups... Really? Food was lackluster at best.Special Features:
- mothers dayraleigheatsDined on 5/12/2013first time trying brunch, with a group of 6 for mothers day. seated right away thanks to our reservation, but restaurant quickly filled so for a special occasion, I'm sure you'd have to wait without a reservation. the service left something to be desired, but since we've visited for other meals before, chalking that up to the holiday service. food was great, as usual, lots of options for our crowd and very reasonably priced. would visit again for brunch, not one of the usual suspects on the downtown brunch scene.Special Features:
- Good Food, Great LocationsWolffpackDined on 5/11/2013Although it may seem small, the restaurant has many large booths that can easily fit 7 people making it a great place to go with larger parties. It was noisy, but the food was great.Special Features:
- Great service, good food!ApexMomDined on 4/20/2013This was our first visit to Porter's and we really liked it. My husband and I both commented that we would be back. The service was excellent, the food was good and there was a good variety and the portion sizes were just right. We were full, but not stuffed and enjoyed every bite.Special Features:
- Classic Raleigh treat, justRobredDined on 4/17/2013Classic Raleigh treat, just feet from NCSU. Affordable, decent food with a splash of classic Raleigh ambiance.Special Features:
- Our first visit here. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013Our first visit here. The food was very good! We shared the spinach and artichoke chips...there were 4 of us and it was more than enough. My wife had the smoked chicken ravioli and I had the shrimp and grits. Both dishes were great. Will definitely go again. Our server, J.B., was very knowledgeable of the menu and had a great attitude. This always helps you enjoy the restaurant.Special Features:
- I've been here a handful ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/20/2013I've been here a handful of times and have never been disappointed with the meal or the service.Special Features:
- Could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013I went with a group and waited an hour for our food, which arrive just warm not hot and a person dining with me received under-cooked rice.
- The food was awesome and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013The food was awesome and great selection of beers.Special Features:
- Excellent spot, very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/15/2013Excellent spot, very friendly and welcoming. Very good food, particularly for the price. Many wines were reasonably priced too.Special Features:
- Great food and great drinks.HungryFriendDined on 2/15/2013Great food and great drinks. I frequent Porter's every year I go to Raleigh!
- beer dinner was awesome andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013beer dinner was awesome and so was valentine's day dinnerSpecial Features:
- My wife and I have dined atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/9/2013My wife and I have dined at Porter's 3 times in the past year prior to attending events on the NC State campus. We have never had a bad experience. The food and service are well above what you might expect from it's location directly across from the campus. My wife and I think of Porter's whenever we're meeting friends for an inside the Beltline event.Special Features:
- The food is wonderful, fromOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013The food is wonderful, from the appetizers to the desserts. Worth dealing with the parking issues to eat there. This is one of my favorite Raleigh restaurants.Special Features:
- We usually have a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/27/2013We usually have a great experience at Porter's, even on Sundays when the restaurant is very busy. This Sunday, I think it was one of the manages who served us. We were a large party and although he was somewhat nice, he seemed to be a bit overwhelmed. I don't know if it was the number of people in our party or the busyness of the restaurant. Not the quaint, friendly experience to which we are accustomed.Special Features:
- Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/26/2013We tried for the first time during Restaurant Week and had the lamb shank and sea bass. Both were fairly good, but the seasoning on the lamb was not our style, and the sea bass was a little dry. Wine list selections were not as extensive as I hoped, but our selections paired extremely well with the meal, which is really important. Service was Outstanding. It's been a long time since I had a server who was so attentive: not overbearing, but knew when to check on us (I wish I could remeber her name, but we did compliment the manager on her service).
- The short rib sandwich forOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/24/2013The short rib sandwich for lunch was awesome! Would have liked some different dessert choices for the restaurant week special. Something with chocolate would have been good.Special Features:
- nice place, good atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/19/2013nice place, good atmosphere, and ok food. Service was good, but not outstanding. Would recommend it to others as a good place to eat.Special Features:
- Food is always incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/18/2013Food is always incredible and the waitstaff is friendly and attentive! We try to stop here every time we come to Raleigh.Special Features:
- Was looking for somethingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/12/2013Was looking for something upscale, romantic and somewhere we'd never been. Porter's City Tavern fit the bill! Excellent menu selection, high-quality, well-prepared food. Service was good. It was the evening we were hoping for.Special Features:
- decent lunch menu, good dessertsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/11/2013decent lunch menu, good desserts but somewhat overpriced
- I was happy to find Porter'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/8/2013I was happy to find Porter's in Raleigh's NC State district. I plan to return to try other entrees. The scallop appetiser is very good. Wine by the glass is reasonable.Special Features:
- Although the Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Although the Food and Service were excellent our table for New Years Eve was not ready at our reservation time. This was not a huge inconvience however, there was a large group of people sitting directly behind us that had a incident that was extremely unpleasant and kind of put a damper on our evening. We like this restaurant and do visit frequently because the food is alway very good.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2012You'd never expect this place to be what is, because of where it is. It's across the street from NC State, but it's far from a college experience. This is a classy place with excellent food.Special Features:
- Christmas Eve made BETTERBexadventureDined on 12/24/2012I chose this out of the few open restaurants for Christmas Eve. The location is wonderful, the restaurant has a really good "feel" to it, and the servers were amazing. I worried about the food, as I brough my most critical family member, and he LOVED it! That's huge! I recommend (HIGHLY) the Shrimp and Grits, and the salads are amazing. My sister said the Shrimp Tacos were the best she's ever had. Fried Green Beans were awesome, the Malbec wine superb.... what a night!!!!!! We ended on a sweet note - Apple Butterscotch Cobbler (don't let the Butterscotch fool you - this one is a definite keeper!)Special Features:
- Porter's has become one ofJaimeSDined on 12/15/2012Porter's has become one of out favorite places to dine! I rarely have the chance to dine out but when I do, it is more often Porter's. The atmosphere is perfect for us, low-key yet special enough for any occasion and the intimate dining space always feels lively. The staff is genuine, efficient, gracious and knowledgeable and the management presence is just right, not too in-your-face yet still engaged and attentive. The menu is easy to navigate and has the perfect amount of offerings for the "foody" (not me) and the "food enjoyer" (that's me). The wine list is interesting and varied yet not overwhelming and the craft cocktails are great! My Must tries: Cosmojito, tempura green beans, any steak, and the pork nachos!Special Features:
- We had a group of 9, had excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012We had a group of 9, had excellent service overall. One entree came out totally wrong and they did work to fix it fast. Our waitress was excellent although we did have to flag her down for a round of drinks once or twice. This was my first time at Porter's, and we would come back!Special Features:
- Pork chop, filet and shrimpOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/14/2012Pork chop, filet and shrimp with grits were outstanding! Great service tooSpecial Features:
- One of our diners food wasShanaDined on 12/13/2012One of our diners food was not cooked to liking but otherwise everything was good. It gets noisy but overall a good experience.Special Features:
- Amazing blue cheese macaroni.BHJ70VIPDined on 12/12/2012Amazing blue cheese macaroni. Awesome tavern chips and jalapeno poppers.Special Features:
- to loud to converseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/11/2012the noise choices above are Quiet, Moderate, Energetic and Don't Recall. For this restaurant there needs to be "cannot hear the person sitting beside you when they speak."The food is good, the service is very good, the portions are generous, the menu is varied enough to suit everyone in a group and it's always well prepared. This is one of the few non-fast-food places within easy walking distance from NC State. It's just so loud in there that you should not expect to be able to converse at all. Go just to eat but don't try to have a working lunch.
- Caesar salad croutons wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2012Caesar salad croutons were stale and not edible. Bread is not great. Steak is great quality but was undercooked on this visit. Service is always good and so is the section of craft beer.Special Features: