Porter and Frye
1115 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Porter and Frye
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://porterfrye.com/
- Phone: 6123533500
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 6:30-11:00 (Mon-Fri), 7:30-2:00 (Sat & Sun)
Lunch: 11:00-2:00 every day
Bar Menu: 3:00-11:30
Happy Hour: 4:00-6:00 Mon-Fri, 10:00-12:00 Mon-Thurs;
$4 beer, $5 cocktails, $6 wine, $5 food
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Parties up to 20 are welcome. We offer semi private spaces with curtains separating the space from the main dining room. We can also accommodate a group of up to 30 for cocktails and light fare Sunday through Thursday on the main level. Porter&Frye is the obvious choice. Event space available for functions up to 100 people.
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Manager 612-353-3500
A word from Porter and Frye
Offering a fresh, seasonal and indigenous menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Porter and Frye reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
great for brunch (1)fit for foodies (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Independence Weekend '14JeanMWDined on 7/6/2014Interior decoration is as refined as the wonderful Hotel Ivy which the restaurant is within. Range of entrees suited our party of 5 gentlemen. Each dish was interchangeable among us and not one less satisfying than the next. As the only party present, service was understandably attentive. With reasonable prices given the overall quality of the establishment I would recommend this restaurant to anyone within reasonable driving distance and certainly everyone staying at Hotel Ivy.Special Features:
- The wait staff was wonderful,TexasimmigrantDined on 3/14/2014The wait staff was wonderful, and the food was good.Special Features:
- Great food - terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2014The food is worth it if you are willing to put up with painfully slow service. Our waitress could not get our drinks to the right person not matter how many rounds we ordered - which resulted in mixed up bills. Waiting long periods between drinks, ordering apps, food arriving, ordering dinner, etc. However the food was spectacular and for the price worth waiting for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good - service was lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/15/2014Food was fine, though a little uninspired. Service was very, very slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014I assumed Porter and Frye would be a good date night spot on Valentines day due to the proximity to Hotel Ivy but I was mistaken. The service was sub par, our hostess and waiter seemed out of place; both were extremely awkward and not engaging at all. The food was a major let down, we ordered the artisan cheese starter and what came out was embarrassing. There were 5 small blocks of cheese, a few store-sold butterfly shaped crackers, some generic dried apricots, a few sprinkled seeds and a dash of honey. The saving grace were the fig halves but there were only 3 of those on the plate and they seemed store bought as well. I ordered the risotto and was delivered a bland dish that seemed more like oatmeal. Do not recommend.
- Eh...vdayDined on 2/14/2014It seemed to me that my entrée (Steak Diane) was pre-prepared. While it wasn't a bad steak, I felt like I was getting a meal at a wedding reception. My other complaint was that our server (who was very nice) did not seem well versed on the wine selection and pairings. I did like the feel of the dining room and thought the location was good.Special Features:
- DisappointingSandraVIPDined on 2/14/2014Went there on Valentine's Day with my husband as we were staying at The Ivy. We ordered the lobster tail dinner for two for $75.00. The lobster was fine, not great, but the sides were very disappointing. The baby carrots and broccolini were barely warm and the potato side was luke warm as well and uninspired. Would not go back.
- Valentine's dinnermladeahVIPDined on 2/14/2014We Decided To Have Dinner Here For Valentine's Day. Our Server Was Great And The Food Was Fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent food, not Midwest moderntrevDined on 2/14/2014Our nicoise salad was composed of well prepared ingredients, but had poor construction. I should not require a knife to enjoy a salad. Matching yams Obrien to duck breast may have seemed creative, but did not work well with the rhubarb glaze, and would have been a better starch for breakfast than dinner.Special Features:
- Love the food and the creativeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/7/2014Love the food and the creative cocktails at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasantly surprisedjudesterDined on 2/7/2014Porter and Frye was a great place for a pre-symphony dinner - we parked in the ramp and walked in the skyway - protected from the below zero weather. Nice wine list. Food was very good - served hot - and cooked to each diner's liking. About the same price range as the Hilton, where we've gone often - but Porter and Frye was much, much better in all ways. All 4 diners gave it a thumbs up - we'll be back!Special Features:
- Great food, convenient locationTentpegDined on 2/4/2014We enjoyed a business lunch meeting here. Good food and close to the convention center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service needs workbogieproVIPDined on 1/25/2014My wife and I ate here for dinner due to a stay at Hotel Ivy. We were hesitant due to previous reviews about bad service, but we decided to give it a try. Food was great! Both of us had the Steak Diane. We also had the Caesar salad and calamari to start. Given our expectations beforehand, we were not surprised by service issues when they occurred. Second cocktail (ordered during appetizers) arrived after meal was finished. Overall, we both enjoyed the food. However, a $100 credit from our hotel reservation helped bias my review. We also ate here for breakfast on Sunday. Again, great food but service issues were very noticeable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average experience for price pointsUrbanDinersDined on 1/10/2014Charcuterie plate very disappointing and we've had several at similar venues. The salad was also ho-hum and unremarkable. We shared a moderate priced entree Tilapia pineapple that was nice but none of the dishes were inspiring for the value. The cocktails were a tad more interesting. Two starters, an entree and desert with 4 drinks $125 plus tip. I can think of a dozen places I would have been happier with we wanted to try something new
- NYEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013The calamari was amazing! The New York strip was a great cut of meat although it lacked any flavor. It could use a rub. I was surprised how quiet it was for NYE. The ambience was nice. Our server was really nice. I would probably try this place again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical hotel restaurantNotAfoodieDined on 11/19/2013Went there for lunch. Maybe a half dozen other tables occupied. Bartender was our server (ok, it's lunchtime in a hotel restaurant, I get that). Menu has some different things on it. Food presentation was good. Food taste was average at best. I wouldn't say the experience was a disappointment, however I wouldn't go back. There are much better places to eat downtown.Special Features:
- Girls Weekend DinnerJusinDineDined on 11/9/2013Great place to hang out for a few drinks and get a bite to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask for Nancy!!WilliamDined on 10/27/2013I have entertained clients for years at Porter and Frye and must say the only constant positive is server Nancy. The hotel has been through multiple management changes, yet Nancy is always upbeat, professional and knowledgeable. I have endured prima donna bartenders, missing or untrained hosts, and managers that wouldn't cut it at Perkins, yet Nancy soldiers on with a smile. I go back for the Caesar salad, Steak Diane, but some idiot nixed hash browns from the menu. Rumor has it there is yet another management group coming to town. Hope they keep Nancy.Special Features:
- Porter & Frye is a nice surprise!jonbDined on 10/23/2013Food & Ambience is very nice @ Porter & Frye. Its not a top-of-the-mind place but its very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RibstonerDined on 10/22/2013The evening special was ribs (german potato salad) and we were not expecting it to be such a good portion. We assumed that because it is a more upscale restaurant that the portions would be smaller. In this case the there were over 12 ribs. We split a caesar salad and the rib dinner and it was more than enough for both of us. The bread and butter were excellent too. We don't drink so cannot comment on beverages.Special Features:
- Meza MezatnleeDined on 10/19/2013The service was exceptional, but the food was not as good as it used to be when it first opened--and neither was the dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would Go ElsewhereMCM1Dined on 10/16/2013Food was fair. Noise level was way too loud. Even though made a reservation, table was awful (next to front door), server doubled as bartender so you can imagine how much attention we got, food delivery person had no idea who ordered what, prices way too high for this kind of quality/service. Would take your money elsewhere.
- Enjoyable Dinner for 8jlouDined on 10/12/2013I came here with a group of 8 and had a very enjoyable night. Good food, good service, good ambiance, etc. This is my third time dining at this restaurant and all have been very positive experiences. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Porter & Frye ImprovementsJannyVIPDined on 10/5/2013Porter & Frye is now a place to go for good food & cocktails! The menu has been much improved by a new chef and will please the diner who wants American food with a twist. The lobster mashed potatoes are a big hit, as well as the ever-popular Steak Diane.Special Features:
- Good Business DinnerKeroseneVIPDined on 10/1/2013P & F handled our 11-person business dinner flawlessly. There were very few other patrons in the restaurant from 7-9 pm on a Tuesday, so it was quiet and we were in good hands. Servings were generally hearty, with a few interesting recipes. Drink options were fairly basic.
- Usually better, but...MikeBVIPDined on 10/1/2013I am usually impressed with the food at Porter & Frye. Had lunch there the other day and while the server recommended the walleye sandwich, I was not impressed. The portion of fish was small compared to the bread/bun and it was fried too long. The breading was too crispy and that made the fish not moist. We were almost the only two in the restaurant over lunch, so I would hope that they would have time to take extra care that the meal was perfect. Disappointing effort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJSperDined on 8/16/2013The food was excellent. We ate there and ordered food to go to eat later. It was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entertaining for businessFerazzDined on 8/12/2013Knowing the restaurants downtown I expected the food to be better especially for the price. I thought the restaurant had a nice ambiance but the food and the service was lacking.Special Features:
- Convention Center ConvenientSolOVIPDined on 6/26/2013Was in Minneapolis for a trade show at the Convention Center. Both an associate and I had scheduled lunch meetings with clients. Surprisingly there are almost no restaurants near the Convention Center. Found P&F and though it had mixed reviews, decide to give it a try as did my co-worker. Restaurant was a few minutes walk from the Convention Center. Ambiance was fine although after it filled up, it got fairly noisy. There was a limited lunch menu and the food was good. Wouldn't say outstanding but definitely some interesting choices. I had duck quesadilla. Charged extra for guacamole which they could never get away with in LA. Bottom line is that Porter and Frye is great for a break from the the junk they serve at the Convention Center.Special Features:
- great experiencePrimatesDined on 6/4/2013excellent food. service was a bit slow but was a busy nite. would definitely go there again. view of park at sundown is lovely. very nice experience and host was very acommodating when we had to add one more person to our party at the last minutes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- May be better for dinnerMarianaDined on 5/24/2013Nice Restaurant, but food was not that amazing. Don't get me wrong, food is not bad at all, but it didn't seem any fancy either; plates are a little pricey for their portion size. Bummer that not all items on the on-line menu are available for lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing dinnerpacerDined on 5/11/2013Out of 6 people dining only one was happy with the meal and that only after the initial meal was replaced by a second one. The meals are nothing special, overpriced and service is very average.
- We were treated as insignificantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/7/2013Met a vendor at this spot close to the Convention Center, who was working the AATS Meeting, for proximity. We had noon reservations and were 10 minutes early. We were pushed through the meal because the staff feared the Docs coming from the convention at noon would make the experience troublesome for the serving staff to serve us. Speaking with the Host, and while we were seated interacting with the waiter, the staff had reiterated the impending rush from the surgeons at the meeting. They rushed us in and out of the restaurant. Not particularily professional or welcoming. Surgeons put their pants on the same way you do, eat the same food and tip the same way. As a local who could promote a good experiance locally, it failed to impress me.
- Lovely dinnerPrairieDadDined on 4/27/2013Everything was fine. It is a very nice atmosphere. There were not many people in our area so our group was able to have a nice dinner conversation among the whole table. The one comment I would make is we were seated on the street level near the open stairway. A group downstairs started to get loud and the stairway was like a megaphone. We couldn't quite hear the jokes but we knew if it was funny. I would be concerned if there would be a full house how loud the volume would be.Special Features:
- Food was good, however, theAruba99VIPDined on 3/9/2013Food was good, however, the service was slow and out of sync. Waiters tried to deliver food to our table several times from other orders, not ours. Took longer than seemed reasonable.
- I thought P and F was solid;GWGLVIPDined on 2/28/2013I thought P and F was solid; however, I was not blown away.Special Features:
- The food was okay, but shortOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/19/2013The food was okay, but short of my expectations for this restaurant.Special Features:
- We had 8 pm reservations.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013We had 8 pm reservations. We arrived a little early and were graciously shown to a table when one opened up. We ordered a bottle of wine before our meal, which the waitress opened it up at our table. We were seated at leather high-backed chairs which made our experience feel rich. Our candle went out twice and our wait staff very obligingly relit it for us. This restaurant is very suitable for a date or a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great space in Elliot parkishkeithVIPDined on 2/16/2013Great space in Elliot parkish neiborhood -- not many in this location, so great for us east side downtowners to have a place like Porter and Frye to get to!Special Features:
- Good main course, uninspiredOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2013Good main course, uninspired salad courses and decent chocolate cake. B+ overall for Valentine's day.