8085 Main Street
Ellicott City, MD 21043Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.portallisec.com/
- Phone: 4107202330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 11:30pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Keith Holsey
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
A word from Portalli's
'The owners of The Diamondback Tavern have partnered with new investors in a separate venture called 'Portalli's' which will be located in historic Ellicott City where Jordan's Steakhouse used to be. Portalli's will be an Italian restaurant with a good mix of unique cutting edge preparations as well as classic Italian favorites. The name 'Portalli' comes from the maternal family of Evan Brown, one of the owners who will also serve as Director of Operations. Local chef Keith Holsey will be running the kitchen, and while the menu is still being developed, we plan on incorporating everything we love about Italian cuisine from all areas of Italy including several traditional Portalli family dishes. The goal is to create an Italian dining destination that will have enough originality and creativity for foodies, but will also be approachable for the casual diner or families looking for a fun night out.'- Lee Biars (owner of Ellicott City's Diamondback Tavern)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Portalli's - Best Restaurants in Ellicott City ›
Portalli's reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (62)romantic (56)neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (48)notable wine list (27)good for groups (26)great for brunch (22)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (8)hot spot (6)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- excellentPhilVIPDined on 10/20/2014Portalli's is consistently excellent. You can expect excellence every time you dine there.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal!!BluEyesDined on 10/17/2014Truly enjoyed our dinner..waiter, Steven was top notch! We requested a table where we could sit and chat with dear friends and couldn't have been happier with our space. Such an enjoyable evening from beginning to end. Can't wait to try brunch...have heard it's awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- krabladyDined on 10/13/2014Always consistently good food. Service good. A little slow, but because one waitress for several tables. Will return.Special Features:
- Back again!PhleeVIPDined on 10/11/2014It's been about a year since we were last here....still consistly good and no real change in decor...especially upstairs...could use a bit updating! The food was very good, my wife had the Ciopino over Fettecini and I had the Seafood Alfredo...both very good...started with the Portalli Salad. We wrapped up by sharing the Cranberry - Wildberry Crumble...very good and big enough to share! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, but small portionsMBreslowDined on 10/11/2014The restaurant was cute with an interesting menu. However, the portions were TINY! We shared a green tomato caprese app and it was just a small stack with a couple tomato slices and a couple cheese slices. The waiter should have indicated that it was small if we were sharing.Special Features:
- Great little restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014We've dined here for brunch and dinner several times and have always enjoyed the food and great service.Special Features:
- Better this timesevcoopVIPDined on 10/10/2014We have been to Portalli's many times over the years. I believed that the quality of food was declining during previous visits, in areas such as salads and desserts that didn't taste fresh. But our return visit Friday night proved otherwise. The caesar salad tasted fresh (no stale croutons) and the meals for the four of us were delicious. The crab/corn chowder is not to be missed and my risotto was spicy with plenty of shrimp and delicious pieces of red pepper. We shared the cannoli napoleon dessert, and though I'm not normally a cannoli fan, I was definitely a fan of that dessert. The service was quite good - not intrusive, but there when needed. Overall, a much better experience than expected and one that makes me want to return.Special Features:
- DisappointedStanBDined on 10/5/2014I have been to Portalli's for dinner several times and enjoyed it. I took my son for brunch this past Sunday and was greatly disappointed. The limited food selections were nothing special. We ordered an omelet which took a long time to receive, didn't look very appetizing and didn't have the ingredients we requested. It took a while for our server to return to the dining area so we could tell her. She was pleasant and reordered it. By the time the second one appeared (still not very pretty) we were full. The baked selections looked and tasted as though they came from Costco. If you're serving lox, please don't give me a stale, mass produced bagel. Piano player was good but his voice.., not so much.I will not be returning. :o(
- Much BetterEdECDined on 10/4/2014We had eaten at Portalli's a couple years ago and had a less than pleasant experience. When we received a gift certificate for the restaurant, we decided to give it another try. We are glad we did. The service and atmosphere and food all were superb this visit. We'll be coming back much sooner!Special Features:
- trojantrojanVIPDined on 10/3/2014AS ALWAYS, superb food & excellent service. Also the valet parking is very handy especially last Friday when it rained & Ellicott City was having it's First Friday of the Month celebration. Just one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic setting w/ great food/valujackwhitesideparsonsDined on 9/26/2014My fiancee and I had driven by this restaurant just about everyday and thought it might be too expensive. However, we got a gift card for Portalli's and we were pleasantly surprised by the romantic setting and the value for such a high quality meal! We both got the lobster ravioli and it was the best we ever had! I highly recommend this restaurant -- especially for a date night.Special Features:
- Lovely Spot On Main StreetOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014What a great place! It has the "old Main Street" feel from outside to inside. There was a decent Friday night crowd. Our server was spot on with the menu. It did take a while for our bottle of wine but was well worth it when it arrived. The food was amazing. We got the meat tray and rolled mashed potato. Both great choices. We both ordered pasta dishes and were introduced to a peppadew pepper. Mmmmm sweet followed by spicy and blended perfectly with my shrimp pasta dish. Overall a great spot and we will definitely he going back again some day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SimkaDined on 9/20/2014Food was good. Service was great. Bathrooms need work. And if steps are a problem, you will have a problem.Special Features:
- RealiableJoeFundoDined on 9/20/2014Having been to Portalli's a few times now I cannot say I absolutely adore the place. But I do like it, and I do return without hesitation. One note...if you are familiar with downtown Ellicott City you'll be fine. If not, they do offer Valet Parking, which you might want to consider rather than finding parking on your own. So smart for them to offer Valet Service.Special Features:
- Not as good as they once werermadlaDined on 9/20/2014On our last two visits, Portalli's seems to be slipping a bit. Most recently, we were seated at a broken table. After spilling a drink when the table tipped, we asked to be moved, and were - but they reset the table and seated another unsuspecting couple there. I asked about that, and the employee I asked responded, "Oh, the owners know it's broken. We just re-seat people who spill things, if they want." What a disappointing attitude! I was also a bit disappointed that when we commented that we didn't care for the (fairly) new recipe used for the dipping oil that is served with the bread, there was no inquiry as to what else might substitute. We then requested butter, but it arrived only after we'd finished most of the bread dry.Special Features:
- Great food. Great service.HappyDinerDined on 9/18/2014We visited during Midnight madness and I decided to take my husband their for our anniversary. He's not easily impressed and could not stop ranting about the squash in the lobster ravioli. Our waiter was excellent. We plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful time! We have gone here quite often. The food is always delicious. The servers are fantastic. They made are anniversary special.Special Features:
- ExcellentUltracsicVIPDined on 9/13/2014Our waiter was very good and enabled us to substitute for menu items. My wife's entrée was excellent, but mine was really unique. I had the lamb osso bucco. Not only had i never had this dish, it was superb. The meat fell off the bone and was delicious. Good wine selections.Special Features:
- Amazingly good; GF menu available!GFDiningDined on 9/13/2014Totally amazing! Very romantic setting and the gluten-free menu had extensive options. Also included a gluten-free dessert! Absolutely extraordinary. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An all around wonderful experienceDutchDined on 9/5/2014We had seafood carbonara, surf and turf, potato croquettes, great martinis. For dessert we had a unique version of s'mores and an inverted berry turnover with fresh cream. The food was fantastic. The prices were very reasonable. A great value. Very attentive serviceSpecial Features:
- It was okLC1234Dined on 9/3/2014The food was good, not great. Very over priced for the portion sizes. The service was good, no complaints. It seemed like our server was reading from a script. When we went it was very quiet and we were sat directly next to another table - we were the only 2 tables in the restaurant - so it was overly awkward. It was like we were sitting at a 4 top with strangers. Way too close to other diners. And sine we were the only ones in there, we could hear everything each other was saying. They could have sat one of us somewhere else. No real complaints, other than the awakwardness, but it was NOT worth the price. Our check was almost $100 for 2 people. We ordered an app, 2 entrees, and 2 drinks each. Everything was a small portion.Special Features:
- Great first experienceMichaelVIPDined on 8/30/2014I had a few gift certificates to Portalli's so I figured I would give it a try. It was a very nice first experience of the place. The waiter was friendly and attentive to our needs. The food and drink was delicious. I would recommend Portalli's to my friends.Special Features:
- Great Italian Restaurantchoi4dineDined on 8/28/2014I visited twice this restaurant. Each time my family had a wonderful food and great service. Servers were very helpful and polite. Food was great. I strongly recommend Prince Edward Island Mussels for appetizer. Don't forget to ask for extra bread that is necessary to finish the mussels. Seefood Cabonara was wonderful pasta. We visited two Thursdays coincidently. Lobster night. Three kinds of lobster dishes for Thursday were wonderful. Please try each one of them.Special Features:
- Historic Ellicott City HighlightMDNeighborDined on 8/23/2014I had a generally positive experience at Portalli's; I've been there a number of times before and expect to return. I did not assign top stars in each category because the respective ratings depend upon where one sits in the restaurant and one's choices from the menu. There is in fact a "vibrant bar scene," which makes the first floor rather noisy. We went at 10 p.m. and asked to be seated upstairs away from the noise, a request that was gladly granted. There it was very quiet. We enjoyed our food, as usual, except that I did not like the Black Forest Bottom Cake--too many cherries that really didn't taste very good to me; I probably should have sent it back, but didn't. Have liked their other desserts. Entree was excellent.Special Features:
- High Expectations Not MetLOV2FLYDined on 8/22/2014We were excited to finally try Portalli's as we have not yet dined here after nearly 2 years of living in the area. I must say that I was less than impressed with the service from the entire staff. It took entirely too long to get water, wine, and even our bill at the end of the evening. There were even multiple times when we would not have one ounce of water in our glasses. And this is with much less than a full crowd dining in the restaurant. I think that the staff is poorly trained to deliver top notch customer service. It would have helped if the food were better but overall, it was quite simple. Thankfully, the wine was good and the prices were reasonable.Special Features:
- ExcellentSmillzDined on 8/20/2014First date night we had in six months. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodEnjoyGoodFoodDined on 8/20/2014Portalli's is a lovely restaurant in Old Ellicott City. The location is great. The food was excellent. I had a caesar salad and the grilled scallops and risotto. My guest had lovely lobster ravioli dish and caesar salad. Both of us were very pleased with our food choices. The only negative is that there does not appear to be a lunch menu. We were there for lunch and we were eating from the dinner menu. To be honest, it is too pricey for lunch but the cost is definitely appropriate for dinner.Special Features:
- thank youBirthdayVIPDined on 8/16/2014I had requested the table in the window and it was all set up and waiting for us. It is so nice that someone goes out of their way. Dinner was wonderful and our guests were able to experience our town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really liked itPricyDined on 8/16/2014We received a coupon from a friend, otherwise we may have never eaten here. Really liked the place. Thought it a little pricy and will probably go back for special occasions only. We have eaten at Italian restaurants like this before and don't like them quite as much as traditional Italian. We did, although, really enjoy the food and the service was perfect. Their courses are too large to do multiple as they suggest. The baked oyster appetizer was outstanding.Special Features:
- LeFoodmanDined on 8/10/2014Portalli's Italian restaurant is a fine place for the discerning palette, as they're combinations and innovative culinary offerings have the tendency to raise an eyebrow or two. For our evening we all gravitated toward a certain dish via the description, but then everyone (there were six of us) shifted their choices so that we all ordered something different. No one was disappointed and I have been to quite a few dinners with these folks where there was quite a bit of complaining. It was most pleasant, and the atmosphere, the food, and the service were all of a high caliber. I will go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceoutaloneDined on 8/7/2014We enjoyed our evening at Portalli's as we celebrated our anniversary. The ambiance was a little dark. The windows and skylights did help though. Shannon and Tyler were quite attentive. Our meals were served hot and were quite good. I would recommend Portalli's when looking for a delicious approach to Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. We were disappointed when were seated next to a group who were quite noisy and no other accommodations were available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local findMrcs4uDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I had reservations for Saturday night. Table was ready and we were quickly seated, however after that we had to wait quite awhile till we had our drink order taken and there was only one other table taken. The waiter was the bartender and the food runner. The appetizers were very good, portions were correct. Our main course was very good as well as the portions. Overall it wasn't a bad experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazingBrianDined on 8/2/2014We came here for dinner because we had received a gift certificate as a birthday gift. The restaurant is small and a bit dark, but the food was amazing from the appetizers through dessert. The service was also very good. Our server was attentive and made recommendations of what to get on the menu. I went with his choice and it was delicious. This is definitely a good spot to go for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Consistently DeliciousShopper20143VIPDined on 8/2/2014We've dined here several times and have never been disappointed. Even though it was Restaurant Week, we ordered off the regular menu instead. We started by sharing an order of bruschetta w/o beans which is the best we've had at any restaurant. My husband had a Caesar salad which was large enough to share and then he had the salmon with asparagus and I had the rockfish with fingerling potatoes - both were absolutely prepared to perfection and we both cleaned our plates. This is the first time we've ordered dessert here since they never had too many chocolate options but we tried the black forest cake. We both thought the topping tasted like heavy cherry cough medicine but the cake was moist and delicious. Valerie, our server was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- less than average at premium pricePennStaterDined on 8/2/2014Went there for our 10 yr anniversary dinner. (july 2014) Very disappointed. I think they're going for an upscale ambiance...And it may have been at one point -back in the day. But now it's just old & worn looking (and not in a cool/historic way). Food: Calamari was prepared well but was very bland, lobster ravioli was soaked in butter/oil (not in a good way), Stuffed Veal red sauce was good but overpowered the veal, Tiramisu was horrible. We've had much better quality/tasting food at Macaroni Grill for way less cost! The wine & coffee was great and the service was pretty good. Overall a disappointing meal. We wont be going back.
- ExcellentEnjoydiningDined on 8/2/2014From the walk into the restaurant until we left,everything was excellent. The food was outstanding as well as the service. Will definitely be going back again.Special Features:
- good & badfamilynightoutDined on 7/31/2014Lovely restaurant. The large room upstairs bounced the noise from a table across the room to ours. It was a happy group but we couldn't hear. Our waitress was wonderful and moved us to the other room upstairs. The biggest food issue was the spaghetti & meatballs! The portion of pasta was so tiny-a handful cooked. The pasta was also swimming in a sharp tasting sauce. The meatballs were good and plentiful. Everyone else enjoyed their meals. I recommend the restaurant just don't order the spaghetti & meatballs.Special Features:
- Made our 24th anniversary perfect.rmadlaDined on 7/29/2014We went to Portalli's for our 24th anniversary a few days ago. Not only did we get seated at the table we'd noted in the reservation as our favorite, they greeted is with a complimentary glass of champagne and did everything they could to make the night special.Special Features:
- ECFoodieECFoodieDined on 7/29/2014First time at Portalli's and was not disappointed. We were able to participate in Restaurant Week, which was a good event to try a new place. Portalli's food was delicious and we plan on coming back to sample some of the other foods on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.