8085 Main Street
Ellicott City, MD 21043Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.portallisec.com/
- Phone: 4107202330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 11:30pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Keith Holsey
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
A word from Portalli's
'The owners of The Diamondback Tavern have partnered with new investors in a separate venture called 'Portalli's' which will be located in historic Ellicott City where Jordan's Steakhouse used to be. Portalli's will be an Italian restaurant with a good mix of unique cutting edge preparations as well as classic Italian favorites. The name 'Portalli' comes from the maternal family of Evan Brown, one of the owners who will also serve as Director of Operations. Local chef Keith Holsey will be running the kitchen, and while the menu is still being developed, we plan on incorporating everything we love about Italian cuisine from all areas of Italy including several traditional Portalli family dishes. The goal is to create an Italian dining destination that will have enough originality and creativity for foodies, but will also be approachable for the casual diner or families looking for a fun night out.'- Lee Biars (owner of Ellicott City's Diamondback Tavern)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Portalli's - Best Restaurants in Ellicott City ›
Portalli's reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (70)romantic (68)neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (47)good for groups (32)great for brunch (29)notable wine list (29)great for lunch (12)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful time! We have gone here quite often. The food is always delicious. The servers are fantastic. They made are anniversary special.Special Features:
- Amazingly good; GF menu available!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Totally amazing! Very romantic setting and the gluten-free menu had extensive options. Also included a gluten-free dessert! Absolutely extraordinary. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An all around wonderful experienceDutchDined on 9/5/2014We had seafood carbonara, surf and turf, potato croquettes, great martinis. For dessert we had a unique version of s'mores and an inverted berry turnover with fresh cream. The food was fantastic. The prices were very reasonable. A great value. Very attentive serviceSpecial Features:
- It was okLC1234Dined on 9/3/2014The food was good, not great. Very over priced for the portion sizes. The service was good, no complaints. It seemed like our server was reading from a script. When we went it was very quiet and we were sat directly next to another table - we were the only 2 tables in the restaurant - so it was overly awkward. It was like we were sitting at a 4 top with strangers. Way too close to other diners. And sine we were the only ones in there, we could hear everything each other was saying. They could have sat one of us somewhere else. No real complaints, other than the awakwardness, but it was NOT worth the price. Our check was almost $100 for 2 people. We ordered an app, 2 entrees, and 2 drinks each. Everything was a small portion.Special Features:
- Great first experienceMichaelVIPDined on 8/30/2014I had a few gift certificates to Portalli's so I figured I would give it a try. It was a very nice first experience of the place. The waiter was friendly and attentive to our needs. The food and drink was delicious. I would recommend Portalli's to my friends.Special Features:
- Great Italian Restaurantchoi4dineDined on 8/28/2014I visited twice this restaurant. Each time my family had a wonderful food and great service. Servers were very helpful and polite. Food was great. I strongly recommend Prince Edward Island Mussels for appetizer. Don't forget to ask for extra bread that is necessary to finish the mussels. Seefood Cabonara was wonderful pasta. We visited two Thursdays coincidently. Lobster night. Three kinds of lobster dishes for Thursday were wonderful. Please try each one of them.Special Features:
- Historic Ellicott City HighlightMDNeighborDined on 8/23/2014I had a generally positive experience at Portalli's; I've been there a number of times before and expect to return. I did not assign top stars in each category because the respective ratings depend upon where one sits in the restaurant and one's choices from the menu. There is in fact a "vibrant bar scene," which makes the first floor rather noisy. We went at 10 p.m. and asked to be seated upstairs away from the noise, a request that was gladly granted. There it was very quiet. We enjoyed our food, as usual, except that I did not like the Black Forest Bottom Cake--too many cherries that really didn't taste very good to me; I probably should have sent it back, but didn't. Have liked their other desserts. Entree was excellent.Special Features:
- High Expectations Not MetLOV2FLYDined on 8/22/2014We were excited to finally try Portalli's as we have not yet dined here after nearly 2 years of living in the area. I must say that I was less than impressed with the service from the entire staff. It took entirely too long to get water, wine, and even our bill at the end of the evening. There were even multiple times when we would not have one ounce of water in our glasses. And this is with much less than a full crowd dining in the restaurant. I think that the staff is poorly trained to deliver top notch customer service. It would have helped if the food were better but overall, it was quite simple. Thankfully, the wine was good and the prices were reasonable.Special Features:
- Great Service and FoodEnjoyGoodFoodDined on 8/20/2014Portalli's is a lovely restaurant in Old Ellicott City. The location is great. The food was excellent. I had a caesar salad and the grilled scallops and risotto. My guest had lovely lobster ravioli dish and caesar salad. Both of us were very pleased with our food choices. The only negative is that there does not appear to be a lunch menu. We were there for lunch and we were eating from the dinner menu. To be honest, it is too pricey for lunch but the cost is definitely appropriate for dinner.Special Features:
- thank youBirthdayDined on 8/16/2014I had requested the table in the window and it was all set up and waiting for us. It is so nice that someone goes out of their way. Dinner was wonderful and our guests were able to experience our town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really liked itPricyDined on 8/16/2014We received a coupon from a friend, otherwise we may have never eaten here. Really liked the place. Thought it a little pricy and will probably go back for special occasions only. We have eaten at Italian restaurants like this before and don't like them quite as much as traditional Italian. We did, although, really enjoy the food and the service was perfect. Their courses are too large to do multiple as they suggest. The baked oyster appetizer was outstanding.Special Features:
- LeFoodmanDined on 8/10/2014Portalli's Italian restaurant is a fine place for the discerning palette, as they're combinations and innovative culinary offerings have the tendency to raise an eyebrow or two. For our evening we all gravitated toward a certain dish via the description, but then everyone (there were six of us) shifted their choices so that we all ordered something different. No one was disappointed and I have been to quite a few dinners with these folks where there was quite a bit of complaining. It was most pleasant, and the atmosphere, the food, and the service were all of a high caliber. I will go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceoutaloneDined on 8/7/2014We enjoyed our evening at Portalli's as we celebrated our anniversary. The ambiance was a little dark. The windows and skylights did help though. Shannon and Tyler were quite attentive. Our meals were served hot and were quite good. I would recommend Portalli's when looking for a delicious approach to Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. We were disappointed when were seated next to a group who were quite noisy and no other accommodations were available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local findMrcs4uDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I had reservations for Saturday night. Table was ready and we were quickly seated, however after that we had to wait quite awhile till we had our drink order taken and there was only one other table taken. The waiter was the bartender and the food runner. The appetizers were very good, portions were correct. Our main course was very good as well as the portions. Overall it wasn't a bad experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazingBrianDined on 8/2/2014We came here for dinner because we had received a gift certificate as a birthday gift. The restaurant is small and a bit dark, but the food was amazing from the appetizers through dessert. The service was also very good. Our server was attentive and made recommendations of what to get on the menu. I went with his choice and it was delicious. This is definitely a good spot to go for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Consistently DeliciousShopper20143VIPDined on 8/2/2014We've dined here several times and have never been disappointed. Even though it was Restaurant Week, we ordered off the regular menu instead. We started by sharing an order of bruschetta w/o beans which is the best we've had at any restaurant. My husband had a Caesar salad which was large enough to share and then he had the salmon with asparagus and I had the rockfish with fingerling potatoes - both were absolutely prepared to perfection and we both cleaned our plates. This is the first time we've ordered dessert here since they never had too many chocolate options but we tried the black forest cake. We both thought the topping tasted like heavy cherry cough medicine but the cake was moist and delicious. Valerie, our server was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- less than average at premium pricePennStaterDined on 8/2/2014Went there for our 10 yr anniversary dinner. (july 2014) Very disappointed. I think they're going for an upscale ambiance...And it may have been at one point -back in the day. But now it's just old & worn looking (and not in a cool/historic way). Food: Calamari was prepared well but was very bland, lobster ravioli was soaked in butter/oil (not in a good way), Stuffed Veal red sauce was good but overpowered the veal, Tiramisu was horrible. We've had much better quality/tasting food at Macaroni Grill for way less cost! The wine & coffee was great and the service was pretty good. Overall a disappointing meal. We wont be going back.
- ExcellentEnjoydiningDined on 8/2/2014From the walk into the restaurant until we left,everything was excellent. The food was outstanding as well as the service. Will definitely be going back again.Special Features:
- good & badfamilynightoutDined on 7/31/2014Lovely restaurant. The large room upstairs bounced the noise from a table across the room to ours. It was a happy group but we couldn't hear. Our waitress was wonderful and moved us to the other room upstairs. The biggest food issue was the spaghetti & meatballs! The portion of pasta was so tiny-a handful cooked. The pasta was also swimming in a sharp tasting sauce. The meatballs were good and plentiful. Everyone else enjoyed their meals. I recommend the restaurant just don't order the spaghetti & meatballs.Special Features:
- Made our 24th anniversary perfect.rmadlaDined on 7/29/2014We went to Portalli's for our 24th anniversary a few days ago. Not only did we get seated at the table we'd noted in the reservation as our favorite, they greeted is with a complimentary glass of champagne and did everything they could to make the night special.Special Features:
- ECFoodieECFoodieDined on 7/29/2014First time at Portalli's and was not disappointed. We were able to participate in Restaurant Week, which was a good event to try a new place. Portalli's food was delicious and we plan on coming back to sample some of the other foods on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunchBirthdayDined on 7/27/2014Brunch was OK. We did not take the bloody Mary option... So we were not offered juice. Seems silly. Love this place.... But brunch is not their finest hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014WE ENJOYED THE EVENING...REST. WEEK MENU SELECTIONS WERE GREAT..Special Features:
- Fun dinnerSandiVIPDined on 7/24/2014Five of us went to Portalli's for a celebration. Service was excellent. Everyone really enjoyed their drinks, meal and the desserts. Portalli's is a satisfying experience whether you go for special occasions or just drop in while in Old Ellicott City.Special Features:
- Visit on 7/23/14fredDined on 7/23/2014Waiter was a bit sketchy but as usual food was great. Try fried oysters. Very different prep and wonderful taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatCourtDined on 7/22/2014This place was great, the food was a little pricey so maybe a restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Big DisappointmentRoblou5VIPDined on 7/20/2014Seated upon arrival but the waitress came about 15 min later and yelled " who was seated first". Many dishes were uncovered including the french toast. All of the hot dishes were room temperature. Flies were on the strawberry cake. Paid for unlimited mimosas but received only one and was never able to get a refill. Our omelettes were cooked brown and hard but at least they were hot. My husband enjoyed his order of scrambled eggs with cheese. The breakfast potatoes were tasteful even though they were cold. This place is on my "never again" list.
- BrunchtrojanVIPDined on 7/20/2014As always, excellent food, good atmosphere and prompt, professional service delivered with a smile and grace. Large mimosas, omelets ordered at the table without standing in a line waiting for preparation. Actually almost too many items to choose from but appreciated anyway. Keep up the good work. Sorry to see the pear puff pastry no longer on the regular menu (unless I missed it.)Special Features:
- RobODined on 7/18/2014I'm glad I found Pottalli's to celebrate our anniversary. Everything was excellent from the antipasto to the panacotta made for a romantic evening with my wife. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experiencejojoDined on 7/15/2014Despite the summer heat which sometimes makes some Italian dishes too heavy, Portalli's seasonal menu is the perfect blend of Italian taste and summer fare. The vegetable manicotti was delicious and the fish selection very flavorful. The veal brasiole was exceptional and the chianti complemented everything. Pair the food with an attentive waitress and the result was another great relaxing evening at Portalli.Special Features:
- Six Stars!!!DiningWithDestineyDined on 7/14/2014I LOVE THIS PLACE!!! Not only was the staff very accommodating but the food was to die for. I am not a foodie at all but I know that the food was prepared fresh and to order. It was phenomenal. The portion size was not huge but it was more than filling. I am definitely going to make this a regular spot but next time I think I will take a date and try some of their wines. It is also the perfect spot for a nice event or celebration!!Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchmahjonggjudyVIPDined on 7/13/2014Had Groupon for Sunday Brunch. Made an Open Table reservation.When we arrived they wanted to seat us upstairs. I said I could not do steps and so they showed us to a table for 2 downstairs. It was in a dark area and I asked if we could sit further toward the front at another table for 2 that was set up. The person seating us said that was reserved. I told him that I had made a reservation and would like to sit there. He said he had to check and when he returned to us told us that we could have that table. HOW RUDE WAS THAT! Our waiter,Tom,did a great job. He did everthing...took our order,made our drinks and bussed the tables that he had. Food was just okay. Had to cut and toast own bagels..felt like Holiday Inn free breakfast buffet!Special Features:
- great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014Although not close to home, we have been to Portalli's several times and have never been disappointed.Only suggestion would be that they should freshen the place up a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh ItalianCharlie1Dined on 7/10/2014Portalli’s views itself as an up-scale Italian Restaurant. For appetizers we had Green Tomato Caprese (mediocre and the house-made mozzarella had good texture but no flavor) and the Crab and Corn Chowder (very good flavor, rich and creamy). Entrees had nice presentation, but the flavors were blah. Pan-Seared Sea Scallops with a burned tomato tarragon jus over celery & cauliflower risotto (terrible). The whole Maine lobster was like rubber, the clarified butter lacked any flavor, and the asparagus was tender-crisp but lacked any seasoning. The Vanilla and Espresso Panna Cotta was pretty good dessert. The tab for just the two of us with no alcohol was about $80 including tip. I don’t see myself visiting Portalli’s again anytime soon.
- Outstanding Foodcharon170Dined on 7/9/2014Despite having reservations, they were a bit slow to seat us. The server was pleasant but not exactly warm. The food, however, made up for a lot of this. The lobster ravioli was one of the best things I've ever eaten. I liked how the wine list was broken down, making it easier to make a decision. Every dish I had was amazing. We will definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- persey100Dined on 7/6/2014Nice brunch, but the buffet area gets crowded and most diners will need to go up and down stairs to get food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time not as good as firstDuke66Dined on 7/6/2014We took our son and his fiancée because we loved it the first time. Sadly the quality had plummeted! Buffet dishes were almost empty, had to wait for dinner plates, no pepper on table or offered, worst of all the omelets were half or even less than the size on our first visit. Desserts were only so-so.
- Great Food, Good ServiceCS87Dined on 7/3/2014This restaurant was much better than some other reviews had led me to believe. We visited with a Living Social deal, and were quite impressed. The bruschetta was good, the complimentary bread was fantastic (as was the accompanying oil), and the entrees were incredible. The salmon was one of the best-cooked filets I've had, and my wife's tortellini was equally excellent. The only hitches were some very minor quibbles with the service: the wine glass was removed from the table, poured, and brought back rather than being poured tableside, our water was never refilled, and the waitress corrected my (incorrect) pronunciation of an item. That said, these issues are minor and should not keep you away from this Ellicott City gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/29/2014We visited the restaurant on sunday 6/29/14. The food was terrible and we will never return. It was as if we ate leftover food from the weekend. The selection was not good, and the food tasted like it was old, not fresh. Most of the people that were there had grouons like us. I would not recommend this place.