Portage Bay Cafe - Roosevelt
4130 Roosevelt Way NE
Seattle, WA 98105Neighborhood:
U Village / U District
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Portage Bay Cafe - Roosevelt
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.portagebaycafe.com/
- Phone: (206) 547-8230
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Joel Jackson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 42nd street
- Public Transit: There are bus stops within two to three blocks of our front door. University Ave. is merely three blocks east and offers many bus routes and options. This makes for convenient travel to and from downtown Seattle.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: The Roosevelt location is connected with the University Inn and offers parking behind the building. There is street parking as well that is metered for up to 4 hours.
A word from Portage Bay Cafe - Roosevelt
At Portage Bay Café, we offer the best organic breakfast and lunch options 7 days a week from 7:30 am to 2:30 pm. We have gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan menu options for breakfast and lunch. Portage Bay Café offers private catered events in the evenings as well as box lunch delivery for work functions or other daytime events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Portage Bay Cafe - Roosevelt - Best Restaurants in U Village / U District ›
Portage Bay Cafe - Roosevelt reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (99)fit for foodies (57)neighborhood gem (53)kid-friendly (40)good for groups (37)great for lunch (33)hot spot (29)great for outdoor dining (15)special occasion (8)late-night find (1)Show More
- Frenzy and friendlyZorroDined on 11/16/2014Portage Bay Roosevelt is the busiest restaurant I go to. Yet, for all it's frenzy, all the staff have things under control well enough to be very friendly. The new reservation system has tamed things a bit, but every face in the front of the house has a smile. (I'm not sure about the line or back-of-house--Im sure they are all business….). It's a place I like to meet friends and family and get caught up and eat great brunch food. For all the crowds and all the commotion, it maintains the quality of the people connection as -- in my opinion -- its greatest asset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good first-time experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/16/2014Overall, this was good. I wasn't blown away as many other diners' reviews have indicated. I ordered the salmon tartine which was very tasty. My friend's sausage arrived burnt and the server seemed a bit put off by her request for a replacement but nonetheless, he brought one to her. The other meals were tasty, but nothing extraordinary. I'm glad I tried it and probably will return but it is a bit expensive and quite loud. I'll definitely leave more time to find parking and be sure to make a reservation again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014This is a great brunch spot - and I'm so glad they now accept reservations. My hubby and I used to live in Seattle and have been to Portage Bay Cafe a handful of times. The food is always really good and the service is always excellent. On our last visit when we were visiting friends in Seattle I had the crab cake eggs benny, it was really tasty but it could have been hotter and my hubby had the bananas foster french toast, it was awesome! Overall, this is an excellent brunch spot (I've never been for lunch) and definitely plan on coming back. If you've never been be prepared as it is a bustling, busy place with tables close together and usually a long wait (but now that they take reservations I won't be going without one.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some quality control necessary.Luv2EatDined on 11/15/2014I almost always have the pancakes and fill up on fruit and nut toppings. Generally they are excellent, but on my recent trip the pancakes were a little burnt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great great greatEAllenDined on 11/15/2014I visited upon the recommendation of friends and I was NOT disappointed. Thanks Portage Bay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was it worth the price?foodloverSBCADined on 11/11/2014PBay was highly recommended by friends from Santa Barbara who love food as much as we do. Went on a Sunday...big mistake. One word...RESERVATIONS. We arrived around 10am for lunch and they were honest (appreciated) and told us to come back at noon. We would have but could not. Instead we made reservations for breakfast the following Tuesday and were seated right away Very pricey, but large portions! Food was good, not super tasty, very fresh. would recommend, service and atmosphere superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No complaints!allergiesonfleekDined on 11/10/2014I had heard great things from so many people about this place, so when my friends from out of town came I took them here even without me ever going! I knew they would love it but I was worried about what I could eat since I have lots of allergies. The waitress we had was very helpful in checking ingredients and things I could have and I ended up having more options than I thought! It was a good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent breakfast!BrookCheyenneDined on 11/8/2014We first tried the cafe a couple of weeks back for lunch. The prime rib dip was delicious, and everyone else really enjoyed their meals too! But, while there, we noticed that breakfast seemed to be their specialty and planned to return soon to try it out. My daughter took me out for breakfast for my birthday just this weekend, and Portage Bay Cafe certainly lived up to its reputation! Delicious breakfast, natural organic ingredients and amazing french toast toppings without being overly sweet. We'll definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatRandomNDined on 11/2/2014We waited about half an hour past our reservation, then another 5 minutes for water, then another 5-10 for a waiter to initially come by. They were quite busy, so some of that is to be expected. Though - why make a reservation if you wait half an hour past it's time? The food was good. I wasn't impressed by it, but I certainly enjoyed it. All in all, it's not worth the wait here. There are a plethora of other places that have equivalent quality or better but without the problems of the over crowding.Special Features:
- yummooyumfoodDined on 11/2/2014The topping bar is amazing. Great service. The noise level is a little high but we understand it's a popular place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Portage Bay has a warm, relaxed and vibrant feel. The menu is unique. The breads used are delicious. Excellent, friendly service. Enjoyed the blood orange mimosa. Love the motto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy brunchSueZQDined on 11/1/2014We love going to Portage Bay for brunch. The crab cakes Benedict are my favorite but the waffles, French toast and pancakes are also great because you get to garnish them with fruit, whipped cream, etc from the toppings bar. I would recommend making a reservation. Even with a reservation you will probably have to wait a bit, and without one you will probably be standing out on the sidewalk (in the rain, generally.)Special Features:
- Reliably goodCassiecatVIPDined on 10/27/2014I met a friend for brunch here. They have a good assortment of brunch dishes, all prepared well.Special Features:
- OverratedDonotgohereDined on 10/26/2014Even with a reservation, took 30 minutes after to seat us and we had three kids all under the age of 5 so that was very annoying. The food is way overrated and over priced, the menu was all wrong from what we looked up online because they change their menu all the time which is inconvenient. The tables and chairs were too close to other guests so it's hard to adjust, get up to go get your toppings and it was just too chaotic and rushed. A very unpleasant experience and would not ever want to go back there again.
- Great meet upLovegoodfoodVIPDined on 10/26/2014Great breakfast place! Good food and service, friendly folks, accommodating. Be smart, make a reservation!Special Features:
- Great brunch!timuralpVIPDined on 10/25/2014Went to this place with a few friends for brunch. It gets _very_ busy and a reservation is highly recommended. The menu is great and there are a few items that come with the toppings bar. My girlfriend got a hash that came with a waffle and a pancake -- that's a lot of food! All of the food we've tried seemed pretty healthy and delicious. Would definitely come again!Special Features:
- deniseDined on 10/19/2014The food was awesome. Make a reservation so there is dB no wait. Servers were friendly but had to ask twice for a couple of things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent place for brunchBride2BDined on 10/19/2014Came here with my husband while visiting Seattle, and it looks like a totally popular place. I'm not sure if its because we ordered the wrong things on the menu or what, but we weren't exactly impressed with the food. I had the Winter Fritatta and he had the Smoked Salmon Benedict. The Winter Fritatta was alright, but it was missing the sage that was supposed to be in there, and it needed a bit more flavor. The Smoked Salmon Benedict was dry, not enough hollandaise, and the eggs were over-poached. So overall for us, it was just "meh". If we come back for a visit, I'd look to ordering something else off their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Packed for brunch!CJAndDined on 10/18/2014I met a group of 5 girlfriends for brunch on a Saturday morning whom I haven't seen in a year or so. Everything was great and I loved having a table ready and waiting for us. One gal ordered a gluten-free option and our server checked to see if she had Celiac's so he could remind the kitchen to be extra-careful. Thoughtful! The only problem was we felt very rushed at the end. Our food was quickly boxed up and we had our checks within the hour. We stayed for a little longer after we payed, but I could see the servers eyeing us, hoping to use our table. I understand it's busy on the weekends, but it would have been nice to sit and enjoy chatting with my friends a little longer. I guess that's what we get for picking a popular restaurant! ;)Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014While planning our trip to visit UW, several friends that had done the campus visit in previous years told us to make eating at Portage Bay Cafe a must. I'm so glad that we had the heads up and could make the reservation because it was definitely a highlight. I will recommend it to anyone traveling to the area!Special Features:
- FabuloussatisfiedDined on 10/18/2014Outstanding brunch with delicious vegan, gluten free options and a menu to delight any omnivore. Fresh, abundant, outstanding.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/14/2014Great food & great service but very spendy...so I would only go to this restaurant if it was special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!justatethereDined on 10/13/2014Will definitely return next time we're in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- Host should be a worldwide trainer!LiveOutLoudDined on 10/12/2014From the moment we got there the seater/greeter/host had us smiling. He was engaging, fun, entertaining... we were a party of 8. He was walking us through the phases of 'breaking up with a table'. We loved him. The food was wonderful. Portions HUGE. Mimosas great. Lots of fun. Nice way to start our day. Thank you!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really crowdedaomameDined on 10/5/2014We tried the crab cake benedict and forest mushroom benedict. They do good poached eggs but I thought the crab cakes had a little too much breading in the crab cake mix. Am not sure if this place is really worth the queue - even if you make a reservation on opentable, you still have wait a good 10-15 minutes to be seated upon arrival.Special Features:
- Yummy!ottermomDined on 10/5/2014Favorite brunch spot in Seattle! But make a reservation-- it gets crowded on the weekends.Special Features:
- Lives up to expectationscharmandreDined on 10/4/2014My girlfriend and many of my friends recommended it to me. Finally, my girlfriend took me out to brunch. Service was great, food came out quicker than I expected without compromising quality. I'm definitely coming back, and I recommend it to other people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BrunchjuliepDined on 9/28/2014Fabulous place to go for Saturday or Sunday breakfast/brunch. Food is always innovative. Fruit bar is the best!! A bit noisy. Can now make reservations online which is a huge plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!wineanddineDined on 9/28/2014I've had brunch here several times and have always been amazed at how delicious the food is!! The restaurant is always packed on weekends - definitely make a reservation or go during a week day. The pumpkin pie French toast was unbelievably good!Special Features:
- Won't Returneat4funDined on 9/28/2014My dish was great - crab cakes benedict, my husband's scramble was mediocre. The restaurant is way too noisy and the tables way too crowded together. We could hardly carry on a conversation with our friends. We'll pick a quieter place for brunch next time.Special Features:
- Loud and YummyadubsDined on 9/23/2014This place is extremely popular which leads to a high noise level and semi slow service but the food is great! Once the food was ordered it was quick, hot, and very tasty. just a little slow to take the order and bring the check (granted I was there on a lunch break from work so I didn't have a ton of time)Special Features:
- mmgoodDined on 9/23/2014The food was fresh and delicious. I will definitely be back. Love you vegan choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 9/22/2014Great breakfast or lunch spot. Make a reservation or you'll be in line (always)! So pleased Open Table now available here. Food is varied, well prepared and delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Excellent all around! We eat there whenever we are in Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Seattle must-tryjoshas87VIPDined on 9/13/2014Been meaning to come here for years--finally made a reservation (HIGHLY recommended) and went for brunch. The french toast is phenomenal--super thick brioche bread, very generous portions, beautifully-made. The fresh berries/nuts at the toppings bar were an added plus. Berry lemonade mimosas were also fantastic. Maybe not the place for a light breakfast (though you could probably make it work), but a great brunch experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch out for the beesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Run off by the many, many bees that attacked us and our food. There were lots of bee traps surrounding the dining area and they were half full, but definitely not a place to dine for anyone allergic for sure.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/10/2014Delicious healthy organic breakfast and lunch spot. They are famous for their "Breakfast Bar," which is beautiful fresh fruit and homemade sauces and syrups for pancakes and French toast.Special Features:
- Eat Like You Give A DamntinalouisemDined on 9/9/2014There are so few restaurants that use similar quality ingredients to what I use at home. I love Portage Bay's food ethic. This is my favorite breakfast spot in Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten freeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014My partner and I come to this cafe often and enjoy it so much. This time we came for a special birthday and both wanted to order the risotto gluten free Benedict but it had been taken off the menu. We ended up ordering Benedict's with gluten free bread. I was pretty let down, that gluten free bread was difficult to enjoy. I would recommend trying a different brand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super servicemy02worthDined on 9/7/2014When it came time for the check for our party of seven, the server volunteered that he could print out the individual checks, and all we'd have to go is group them together; and he would do the rest. Sure made it easy to get the bill right for 3 separate parties! AND, he reminded us that 18% was already added, due to size of party. I wish more restaurants offered this.Special Features: