Port Restaurant & Bar
440 Heliotrope Ave.
Corona Del Mar, CA 92625Neighborhood:
Corona del Mar
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
Port Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.portcdm.com/
- Phone: 9497239685x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thurs: 5 to midnight
Sat & Sun: 10am to midnight (Breakfast until 3pm)
Happy Hour: 7 Days a Week Until 7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Port is available for dine-in parties as well as catering for any event. Please call to inquire about pricing and availability.
- Private Party Facilities: We are capable of handeling parties from 20 to 120 for dining and even bigger parties for special occassions, personal mixers, or corporate events. Contact Port to inquire about pricing and availability.
- Entertainment: Starting at 7:00, except Thurs & Sun night starts at 7:30
MONDAY: Case Brothers - Acoustic | Pop/Rock
TUESDAY: Guest Artist
WEDNESDAY: George Fryar - Piano-- Acoustic | Pop/Rock
THURSDAY: Greg Topper - Piano | Pop/Rock
FRIDAY: Kevin Shima - Acoustic| Classic Rock
SATURDAY Afternoon: (2-5) Jarrod Sammet - Acoustic | Pop
SATURDAY NIGHT: Cory Case - Acoustic | Pop/Rock
SUNDAY Afternoon: (3-7) Case Brothers - Acoustic | Pop
SUNDAY NIGHT: Ahmadreza Nabizadeh | Persian/English Pop/Flamenco
- Special Events: We are capable of handeling parties from 20 to 120 for dining and even bigger parties for special occassions and personal mixers and corporate events. Please call to inquire about pricing and availability.
A word from Port Restaurant & Bar
Port Restaurant in Corona del Mar is a coastal treasure where the world comes together in an exciting mlange of sparkling ambiance, superb service, and transcendent cuisine. Tucked away just off the Majestic Coast Highway next to the legendary Port Theatre, the restaurant has established itself as one of the main reasons to visit Corona del Mar. Port's soothing streetside patio area is reminiscent of a classic southern Riviera bistro, while colorful paintings and sculptures add a playful depth to the romantic interior. The classically trained kitchen staff at Port specializes in utilizing exciting and authentically homemade flavors to create a fantastic globally inspired culinary experience that should not be missed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Port Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (9)romantic (9)special occasion (8)great for outdoor dining (7)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (4)good for groups (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Not impressedweeatoutDined on 10/5/2014service was unattentive; restaurant needs some maintenanceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Great food but too many flies and service was slow on waitress partSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HEAT & FLIESROBBYVIPDined on 9/13/2014THE FOOD WAS GOOD AND THE SERVICE WAS GOOD BUT THE HEAT WITHOUT AT LEAST CEILING FANS AND THE PESKY FLIES MADE IT HARD TO ENJOY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good choiceOrrlfrdVIPDined on 9/4/2014Overall very good Mediterranean food. Chocolate lava cake worth the waitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a nice eveningislandgirlDined on 9/3/2014It was a great place. The food was served very hot, the servers were delightful and very helpful. Then of course, the food was much better than I expected. I will continue to go to the Port Restaurant and Bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow Wow Wow! Perfect venueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014I've been here three times now and I decided to write up a review after reading all these poor ones below. The music is always very pleasant, nice acoustics and vocals! Such a nice spot for those cool California nights. They have heat lamps out on the patio too in case you get cold! Delicious food, fun paintings decorate the walls, great service, delicious grapefruit martini, tiramisu for dessert! So pleasantly surprised after coming here for the first time a couple weeks ago that we have been back every week since! Found our new CDM hot spot!Special Features:
- Amazing experienceAmazingDined on 7/25/2014This place is right down the street from where I live and I forgot how charming it was inside. Don't let the outside fool you or the fact that is on a side street in a small neighborhood. Excellent food, great live music, amazing service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!PhoenixladyDined on 7/24/2014Great local flair restaurant, and the food and service was fabulous. Would go back over and over!Special Features:
- Brunch was roughOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014Poor waitress was the only one there on a Saturday morning and was obviously stretched thin. She was very nice though and did what she could. Kitchen could not get an omelet right after two tries for my girlfriend. Great-looking spot could be made so much better!
- Birthday SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Took my best friend there for her birthday. First of all, the service (including the owner) was excellent. Then while being seated we noticed that there was a live performer, spanish guitar. A great delight, the ambiance was set. The wine list and drinks were extensive and delicious. The food, we had the seafood pasta, was outstanding. I have never had fresher! They even brought my friend a lava chocolate cake on the house for her birthday. All in all, I found my newest obsession.Special Features:
- The following 245 reviews are from the Port Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Fathers DayLAKINGS7Dined on 6/15/2014not enough food which was disappointing for the price.
- Kdk687VIPDined on 6/7/2014We went here to celebrate my birthday last weekend. We were seated on the patio right next to the band so it was very loud. After we were seated, it took 20+ minutes to get menus. Someone from our group had to go up to the bar to request them. We also had to request water and silverware. Service was very slow because one waitress was covering the whole bar and patio area. Our group wanted to share a bottle of wine but the restaurant was out of wine glasses. Our waitress found us 3 wine glasses eventually and each couple had to share a glass. To top it all off, gratuity was included when the bill finally came. I used to love this place but I don't know if I will be back after this experience.Special Features:
- Service was horriblePrinceDined on 6/6/2014Overall the place and food was very good but our server was not attentive, not friendly, it feels like she needed to go home and doesnt want to serve us. She took our appetizer order only and the appetizer came fast but she nvr came bk to take our entree we hv to call the other server to tell her, she never apologize and took our order. The runners were very good but she was very hesitant to ask if we need anything as a courtesy she ask but as soon as I want to say something she walk away.. What kind of service is that.. I never had that kind of service I have been to many restaurants and bar in LA and San diego.. I thought Corona del Mar should be good but I was very disappointed. We almost walk out but it was my dads birthday..so sad
- Not what I expected, will be back!josueandsandieDined on 6/6/2014You could drive past this place and not even realize it, the outside isn't too much to brag about but inside the atmosphere is cool, relaxing, and stylish. The tables are a little close together but they make the most of the space. The seating on the booth side was comfortable with the pillows they had. The live music was great, the service was good and the food was wonderful. I ordered the seared ahi appetizer, one of the best I've tasted to date. Then I got the special which was Chilean Bass over mushroom risotto, excellent! I ordered roasted veggies on the side, and Creme Brûlée for dessert. Everything was delicious, however the special was pricey at $36.00, still it was a good serving size and I got full. Will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really impressed!LiveLusciousDined on 5/31/2014We came here using a voucher from Amazon Local. We had come for lunch before, ordering mediterranean entrees and thought it was very good. This time we ordered the special recommended by our server Shelly, pan seared Chilean seabass served over mushroom risotto with a lemon buerre blanc and drizzle of balsamic reduction. BEST SEABASS EVER!!!! WOW! So fresh, cooked perfectly and melt in the mouth exquisite. Followed that up with the creme brulee which delicious. Can't say enough about the great staff...lovely ladies so friendly, helpful and very efficient. The atmosphere is great being open to a patio with an entertainer who was excellent but a little too loud for this small cozy restaurant. Bravo!Special Features:
- Great food too loud!SailinggourmetDined on 5/22/2014The god and service were excellent. Unfortunately the guitar player thought that everyone in the restaurant was there to listen to him play. If we had wanted that we would have gone to a concert. We were looking for a place for dinner where we could enjoy great food and still talk to our friendsI would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingPortReviewDined on 5/16/2014Why make a reservation for a special occasion with the information "We'll be celebrating my wife's birthday" when it wasn't even read or acknowledged by anyone? The food was good, but not great, and the portions were on the small side, and the price was on the big side... so it was definitely a one-time experience for us.
- Not what we were expectingNYCdinerDined on 5/10/2014Expecting old world charm, exceptional food, classic atmosphere to spend an evening catching up with an old friend. There was a musician on the patio and the music was so loud we could not enjoy dinner conversation. We had to lean across the table and yell to each other. The service was poor. Each of us ordered salads. Two salads were brought out with the main entres, and one salad never arrived even after reminding the waitress. My friend would have had wine with dinner, but by the time the waitress re-appeared it was too late, the food was 1/2 eaten. I had the curry chicken dish. The chicken was dry. The dish was not fresh. My friend had beef shish ka bob and that was overcooked as well.
- Great ExperienceMustGoBackDined on 5/6/2014We decided to give the Port a try cause of recommendations from friends. Great ambiance the moment you walk-in. We dined in the dimly lit atrium, felt like dining in a serene secret garden hidden away from the stress & chaos of the outside world. The live music is perfectly upbeat without being overwhelming. Service was perfect. Everything came out in a timely manner, our cups were never empty and everything was taken care of. We will be asking for him when we go back. I had the Filet Mignon Kabob medium and the mixed rice - It was a perfect ! Paired with a bold Malbec, I couldn't have asked for anything more. My date had Chilean sea-bass with pineapple salsa and white wine sauce that I had a little taste of and it melted in my month.Special Features:
- ...It was OK but...HappyBrianDined on 4/18/2014We dined there for birthday celebration at Friday evening, and it was super noisy.... I guessed it was because of Happy Hour... I really wished there have been totally a separated & quiet area for dining people, who usually spend much more money as expecting for nice food & 'ambiance', than people who are eating for Happy Hour... Foods were pretty GOOD but I tasted 'lady's perfume' when I was drinking a glass of water, and it was very unpleasant...Special Features:
- Delicious Find!PickyEatersDined on 4/6/2014We saw this restaurant listed on Amazon Local and decided to give it a try. It is located behind the Port Theater and is not associated with it. We went for brunch on Sunday at 10 and had the place pretty much to ourselves. There are several seating options to choose from and they all looked very inviting. We sat next to a fireplace and they turned it on for us. I had the big breakfast which was excellent and my partner had the gnocchi which she loved. There are only a couple of restaurants where she will order it because they have to be cooked just right - and this was. We both had Bloody Mary's which were awesome. We were very surprised this place wasn't packed but hoped it was just because we were early for a normal brunch seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saw the amazon coupon andOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/5/2014saw the amazon coupon and tried it. never knew it existed. Was very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicejoegDined on 2/14/2014Had Valentines Dinner there, so menu was limited and crowd may not have been the normal crowd. But the service was very good. Our bartender was very upbeat and personable and made a great reccomendation off the wine list. Our server was pretty good for it being so busy. Food was very good. Main course of Filet Mignon was cooked perfectly, very juicy and very tastey. We will definitely come back for a special occasion or for a nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adequate but overpricedChefkatDined on 2/14/2014The prix fixe menu was unremarkable. The sun dried tomato hummus was bland; The lobster ravioli was very nice. The Chilean sea bass was nice but the asparagus spears were more like tree trunks - tough and rather bitter. The petite filet was nice but again, the asparagus was terrible. Overall, dinner was adequate but not for $75 a person. Dessert was horrible- tiramisu was flavorless as was the "Italian chocolate cake" both of which were swimming in a puddle of what was supposed to be a strawberry coulis. Cocoa powder had been sprinkled messily across the plate turning the coulis into a muddy looking mess. There were so many superfluous staff members roaming around looking lost. In a venue as tiny as The Port, it was dizzying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good prix fixe, loud entertainmentcolorandlightDined on 2/14/2014We really enjoyed the prix fixe fare. There were two options for each course, and we each got one. All the food was good; the hummus was a standout as were both the ravioli. The entertainment was talented, but it was very loud. There was one downside. We were seated on an indoor patio, which was pleasant until someone lit a cigarette in the adjoining alley, smoke from which wafted directly onto the patio. The service was excellent, attentive and accommodating.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get me out of hereAbileneDined on 1/25/2014The food was great if you did not mind waiting a very long time. The server did come over and apologize which was very professional of her. She was actually very personable. The music was very loud and in a spot that we could not see the musician as he was behind a column. If you are in the bar area he would be more visable. The musician was not exceptional or even good. He was too loud. The acoustics were very bad and my husband and I could not even hear each other without screaming due to the noise and also the length of the table. The tables were squashed together so that they could fit as much people in the room as they possibly can. There were no booths or even an intimate table. There was no ambience.Special Features:
- Food was good but very pricey;TobyVIPDined on 1/24/2014Food was good but very pricey; not worth the price. Had the sea bass at $36 small portion. Service was excellent
- Fun Location & Delicious Dining!TechnoGalityDined on 1/18/2014Friends and I tried Port Restaurant for the first time for Restaurant Week lunch. It was delicious and a lot of food gor a great deal! We had the Persian kabobs that was made fresh to order. The tiramisu was decadent! The lady servers were so kind, and the place is unique with history. The patio dining is a little strange, revealing the old roof. The front part of the restaurant seems to have better ambience, but is along the very crowded street. I would come here again for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommend it to anyone!!RestaurantCriticVIPDined on 12/22/2013The food was bland and very pricey! The quality was very poor and the three different entrees that we ordered all tasted the same. I have eaten kabob at multiple restaurants and The Port's kabob was by far the worst I have ever had. Furthermore, the music was very loud and unpleasant. After I left, I had a bad headache. Also, our server was not eager to help us with the menu. The people who work there have no idea what they are supposed to be doing, so they just wander the restaurant. I was very disappointed with the food, service and noise level. Save yourself a headache (literally) and stay away from this restaurant!!
- ConsistentGenevieveCVIPDined on 12/21/2013My husband and I like to go to Port (during the week and/or on the weekends) when we don't have a lot of time, yet need a quick, reliable "date night out" the food is always good, the service friendly and the atmosphere is nice. There is also a great little bar with an open patio attached for those night we want to hang out a little longer.Special Features:
- Nice Local SpotLocalGirlDined on 12/16/2013Went here for an early dinner before going to a concert. The place was empty but still cozy with the fireplace and Christmas music playing. Enjoying a lovely dinner. The red wine we ordered was too chilled but likely because the bar had just opened. The service was very pleasant and the meal was good. The Ahi appetizer was mediocre at best. The lobster ravioli in pink sauce was delicious as was the medallion filet entrée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eggs benedictBethDined on 12/1/2013We got here at 10 am on Sunday morning for brunch. We were the only people in the restaurant the whole time. Usually the service had been terrible. This time the bartender waited on us. He was great and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightucinatDined on 11/29/2013Port will never let you down with live music softly playing in the background to serenade you and your company. The mood is mellow, the food is delicious, the wait staff are efficient and friendly. It is a hidden gem in an otherwise busy neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerJessicaRaeDined on 11/23/2013I went with mt best friend for a nice dinner and night out. We split a bottle of wine and had the M&M duo for an appetizer. The eggplant dip is to die for! I followed our server's advice and went with their nightly special of Halibut for dinner...Best preparation and flavors. I will definitely be back, and much more often!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Med DelightPortStreeterDined on 11/23/2013Our party had an early dinner [no loud music at that time.] and enjoyed it immensely. Seating with a reservation was on-time and prompt. Service was attentive but not intrusive. We shared the med platter starter which was fresh, delicious, and generous. Wine list extensive and everyone had their own choice selection. Entrees were large portions all served together and hot. All in our group raved about the flavors and presentation. Special of Halibut was really fine. Scallops were tender and sweet. I could go on but you have to try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPilotDonDined on 11/22/2013Good food, nice ambiance. Emphasis on Meditteranian style dishes. Entertainment was a singer and pianist. A little annoyingly loud, made conversation difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice neighborhood gemOrrlfrdVIPDined on 10/16/2013Went at 6pm on weeknight. Nice setting, parking can be difficult as movie theatre around corner, but there is a parking lot close, but probably theatre goers use it in spite of signage they are not supposed to. Excellent Mediterranean food. Had filet kebobs--excellent and flavorful. Shrimp appetizer spicy and very tasty. Pricing reasonable for quality. Service very good, but no busy when we were there. Dinning room small, with fireplace, but open to bar area which can be somewhat noisy. Overall great foodSpecial Features:
- Great food...Lovinlife78Dined on 10/12/2013My friends and I found this place on Groupon and decided to give it a try. The live music was a great setting for our girl's night out and our server was very helpful with our selections. I ordered the sea bass special was seasoned and cooked to perfection. other dishes included some pasta dishes and steak as well,which were also great. The girls wanted to start off with an appetizer which proved to be more than enough food. The drinks were a hit with the girls as well. We will def return here groupon or not =)Special Features:
- Port RestaurantlmayDined on 10/10/2013Confusing place. The live music was great but at an ear throbbing volume not expected at a sit down dinner at 8:00pm. Decor is all over the place. All four of us had meals we would not order again. Sour hostess, yet a very charming, professional waiter. Would consider popping in for a drink and music after dinner.Special Features:
- chilean sea bass and filetcatnipVIPDined on 10/6/2013chilean sea bass and filet mignon very,vert good.visit early, like 4:30 or 5 and avoid the crowds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.