Port of Call
106 W Wells St
Milwaukee, WI 53203Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Port of Call
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.portofcallmilwaukee.com/
- Phone: 4142737678
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Burgers, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our Special Events office for catering inquiries at email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Port of Call Bistro offers semi-private and private rentals.
- Private Party Contact: Jordan Mendez 4142767447
- Cross Street: Plankinton
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: If street parking is unavailable, the following parking lots and structures are closest to Port of Call Bistro and Beer Garden: 724 N. Plankinton-Covered Parking Garage Public Lots at Wells and 2nd Streets Rock Bottom Parking Lot
A word from Port of Call
Port of Call Bistro & Beer Garden is a nautically themed bar and restaurant in downtown Milwaukee where all items are made from scratch. Fresh Fish Daily, amazing burgers with unique toppings and Wisconsin influenced items such as the Usinger"s Brat Patty Sliders, Herb-Crusted Salmon, Cedar Planked Whitefish, Beer Battered Cheese Curds or the Lobster Tempura are just a few of our seasonal favorites. If you are a Manhattan drinker, ask for the Wisconsin Manhattan where Door County Maple Syrup substitutes the sweet vermouth. For the sunny days there is a 1300 square-foot patio overlooking the Milwaukee River-perfect for sipping our nautically-themed cocktails. Port of Call is conveniently located in downtown Milwaukee on Wells St. and the Milwaukee River. It is within walking distance to many theaters and concert venues. Reservations are highly recommended on weekends and concert nights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Port of Call - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Port of Call reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (30)great for outdoor dining (29)great for lunch (13)good for groups (13)fit for foodies (9)special occasion (9)romantic (5)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Much better than last timeCosmicDinersDined on 9/27/2014Service was very good this time around. Overall food was good. Caesar salad was excellent & so was the Tiramisu. Roasted chicken was very good and flavorful. The Special, the Panko Breaded Mahi-Mahi over roasted peppers & couscous, was disappointing - it was dry and did not have much flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wondferful Food - Great River VenueHappyDinerDined on 9/20/2014We spent a late night in Milwaukee and searched for a table on OpenTable and we found this gem. Great food and service! The Whitefish and the Salmon special were superb. The outside dining area provided a great view of the river......and the very vibrant nightlife in Milwaukee on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- Loved itfoodexplorerDined on 8/30/2014First time to this restaurant. Met a friend there for dinner and it went extremely well. My friend was late, but the waiter was very friendly and patient throughout. The food was excellent; I had the mahi mahi and it was moist (not overcooked and dry) and the cilantro lime went very well with it. My friend had a seafood salad and it was a generous portion. She loved her dish as well. We sat outside by the river and the view was fantastic, and it was really nice to also see the boats pass by. This restaurant is located by the Riverwalk, so you can also have nice walk along the river after dinner. Definitely a place to bring a date. Would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just mehBoolooBadgerVIPDined on 8/13/2014I love their patio ... but the food is meh. We were seated quickly, which was great.... but then the hostess tipped over an entire glass of icewater onto my friend. I was thinking a nice gesture would have been to comp our appetizer, but there was no action taken. The artichoke dip appetizer was actually the only highlight of the evening for me. If you're looking to grab drinks with friends, Port of Call is a good downtown spot - but there are way too many good restaurants in MKE to waste a night out on POC.Special Features:
- Riverfront gemTarheelborn1VIPDined on 8/10/2014Great place for drinks and lunch on the Riverwalk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venueFood4tasteDined on 8/8/2014Brought some out of town visitors to Port of Call for dinner Friday night. Ambience on the outdoor patio was great. For appetizers we had fried cheese curds, calamari, and a cheese tray. All were great. My wife has the fig and mushroom pasta which was unusual and delicious. The whitefish was excellent as well as the Mahi Mahi. Service was very good. They left us alone so we could talk and catch up on things for the entire evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Our Friday night fish fry was average at best. We need to move tables with a spider on the inside window the size of a half-dollar, the drinks were good (homemade Sangria), we had a great experience there once before and thought that would be duplicated...we may or may not return.
- Don't forget Port O CallCatLadyDined on 7/31/2014Don't forget Port of Call when looking for a meal before attending a downtown theater or concert. The menu cleverly includes both wine and beer pairings for entree items, although sadly not for entree salads. Seafood items were well prepared. Service was a bit slow. We allowed 1 1/2 hours for a meal before a concert, and did not have time for coffe/dessert. The restaurant space is very nice but doors were open to patio where smoking is allowed and cigar and cigarette smoke was irritating. We will come back when patio is closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014My daughter and I went to Port of Call before a show. We had a reservation and were seated promptly. We both had the dinner special - bacon-wrapped prawns. It was delicious. Service was courteous and attentive. My husband and I have also had sandwiches from the lunch menu on the outdoor deck. Great spot to sit on a nice day!Special Features:
- River ViewNigelDined on 7/27/2014Fun place right on river. Great Bloody Mary and attentive outdoor service. I would go back again and plan to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; only adequate serverPVC1Dined on 7/15/2014We ate before a concert at the Riverside. Food was really good-calamari app. portion was small but the cheese curds were outstanding. Mahi-Mahi was excellent, as was seafood Cobb salad. Server was clearly new to the business. Well-meaning but inattentive and not very well-trained. Overall would recommend this restaurant-great location and great food.Special Features:
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Great spot for a nice dinner along the river!! Food was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown DiningJudyMDined on 6/12/2014My husband and I tried Port of Call for dinner during downtown dining week. $35.00 for a three corse meal. We started with the artisan cheese plate. There were a few types a cheese, blue cheese with a drizzle of honey, some cheddar, and another type that I do not know the name of. The plate also had some delicious grainy mustard, grapes, one slice of toasted bread, and a bowl of kalamata olives. I would have liked an additional slice of bread. For my entree I chose the surf and turf: Lamb chops and scallops with mashed potatoes and roasted green beans. My husband had the New York strip with the same sides. Both dishes were delicious. Our dessert choices were tiramisu or cheesecake. They were equally good. Sitting outside was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014We all had a great experience there! I got the Downtown Dining Week lunch menu. I picked the salad, with balsamic vinigarette, the salmon blt, and the ice cream! All were amazing!!!!!Special Features:
- Portobello mushrooms?GreattomatoDined on 6/10/2014Everything was great about this downtown dining experience. Except the portobello mushroom sandwich was made with button mushrooms. It tasted good but wasn't as advertised in the menu. Also the truffle fires are good but the dip that comes with is rather bland (hint: add garlic and salt)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better choices for downtown diningeernieDined on 6/10/2014We ate there during Downtown Dining Week (DD) and both had the specials but came away with the distinct impression that they were trying to get us out the door for "real paying customers." They brought out our appetizer and main course at almost the exact same time and were told that for the DD specials, they are required to put the entire order in at once. I also made the reservation about a week in advance but were told that we could not sit by the window as those tables were reserved for other patrons. Lastly, there was a note on the menu that said we should be tipping based on the full price of the meal, not the DD price, yet the portions were clearly smaller. Lamb = dry and "gamey". Scallops = good but it's hard to screw those up.Special Features:
- VERY poor managementwsw555Dined on 6/6/2014There is really no other way to describe this restaurant. The short version is that they radically overbooked their own capacity to provide even a reasonable facsimile of average restaurant service. We saw other people just get up and leave. We had a reservation but they had no staff to serve us. We were ultimately served by the hostess who felt ashamed of the situation (it was her second day on the job). I do give her all the credit in the world for taking the initiative to do what she could. (she had never taken so much as a drink order before in her life but she took ours, and our dinner orders and served us as well) I have no way of knowing how this fiasco happened but there is no good explanation.Special Features:
- Would not go backcloweDined on 6/6/2014Unfortunately this is one restaurant I would not go back to. Reception at front desk was poor, no welcoming smiles and I'm not sure if the 3 young ladies there knew what to do or where to seat us. Once seated, we waited atleast 10 minutes before anyone acknowledged us. Finally a waitress came and said she would be right with us, waited another 10 minutes before she came back to take our order. Food came about 10-15 minutes later. Burger was very dry, fries okay and onion rings were good. Had to ask 3 times to get the check. Nice place to people watch, but that's about it.
- DessertsEstebanDined on 6/6/2014If you're going to offer taramisu for dessert, it better be hand made. Theirs is watery and lacks taste. Even our server admitted it wasn't made fresh on site. Cocktails were mixed well and proportioned well. And our server was very pleasant, even though they were obviously understaffed. I would recommend for dinner, drinks, socializing. The layout is well-suited for a laid back 'drinks and maybe a nosh' sort of evening and decor works well for a riverfront spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food....nshermanDined on 6/6/2014Appetizer and main entree was great! The dessert was ok. I chose the tiramisu, which the bottom layer of lady fingers were soaked with liqueur/coffee and was not edible. Our waitress was a little overwhelmed with it being dining week downtown and she even apologized that she was not able to give us the attention that we deserved. Would definintely come back!Special Features:
- The following 16 reviews are from the Port of Call reviews archive.
- Nice outdoor deckOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/31/2014Though we did not eat outdoors as it was a bit cool, there were those who did and it looked nice. There was a "loud" factor in terms of the noise level as a group was holding an event in a side room. We were seated quickly but it seemed as though restaurant was a bit short-handed. Salads were good, however, the entrée of the whitefish on a plank was fairly mushy and didn't have any flavor. Burger was good, though onion rings tasted more like the batter than onions. Staff was friendly; restaurant in a good location and would go back to give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor summer diningEnjoyfoodDined on 5/31/2014Our server James took excellent care of us. Fun drinks. Lovely scallops and whitefish dishes. On the river walk.Special Features:
- Pleasant experianceLetusdine2nightDined on 5/30/2014It was our first time there,but will not becour last, very pleased.Special Features:
- Riverside TreatdubbayewDined on 5/21/2014Nicely prepared seafood - Scallops - with wine and beer pairings for the entrees. Very convenient for the Riverside theater and the service got us to the show on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- graduation lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014food was great. drinks were really good! Hacker Pschorr Munchen Weiss beer was a nice surprise! Excellent outdoor deck the on the Milwaukee river watching the bridge lift up for a larger vessel was quite entertaining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedSeafoodieDined on 5/17/2014Went to Port of Call Saturday for a birthday celebration. Our table was not ready on time, and when it was ready, we were seated in the walkway by the door for outdoor dining. The place has a "fishy" odor when entering, not good. We asked to be moved but were not accommodated due to no other tables being available. The food was just ok, definitely better options out there for seafood. I ordered the Scallops and risotto, it had 4 scallops wrapped in bacon (not large). Justin our server did a good job, but the dissatisfaction was beyond his control. We will not be returning customers.
- Good, but some better choicesFrequentFoodieDined on 5/4/2014I am a tough critic, and a proponent of continual improvement (hence I'll be open and honest). Four of us visited on a Sunday evening. Bar/restaurant was 75% full, good sign for a Sunday evening. Bar - good beer choices, disappointed martini's are not made with Cointreau (bartender said too expensive). Triple Sec is used which generally gives the martini a sour taste, not smooth. Would rather that there is an option of Cointreau for an upcharge. Food - salads were great, salmon was good, potatoes tasted instant and asparagus was overcooked/limp, pretzel rolls on slider appetizer were very dried out/not fresh. Service - James our server was prompt, informative and attentive! Our party of 4 agreed we may be back.
- DisappointeddisappointedDined on 5/4/2014My husband and I both ordered salmon, which came undercooked. The middle was still very raw. We sent the salmon back and when our waiter brought our plates back, the salmon was over cooked and cut in half. The mashed potatoes that came with the salmon weren't anything special. The waiter apologized and we realize it wasn't his fault. The manager did not come over to our table. We were very disappointed in the whole dining experience.
- A failure on every levelattabeckVIPDined on 5/3/2014Our experience here Saturday night was a disaster. First, we were told our reservation for 7:00pm for which we arrived on time was delayed. Then after we sat down and were given our menus, we were told that the fresh fish special for the evening was already sold out. Then the head chef came out to explain that he had only ordered/prepared 20 servings for the WHOLE evening and was sold out by 7:00pm. We ordered another fish meal, only to be told 10 minutes later that that dish too was sold out. ON A SATURDAY NIGHT AT 7:00? As we got up to leave without our meal, we were made to feel like we were the "criminals" for expecting to be able to dine like normal people by the hostess. We will NEVER patronize this establishment again!
- No bread?NickDined on 4/19/2014I never feel this place is quite clean -- smudged glass and ugly ceiling -- tables placed so you can't see the river. And no bread with dinner salads or side salads? Everything was salty and just okay combinations of dull ingredients. The beer drinkers were happy, but I just felt smudged most of the time. House Chardonnay was terrible, BTW. Get the burger if you go -- they might be able to do that.
- Quick service for lunchMickieDined on 4/16/2014Port of Call had a nice window table reserved for my small party of two. They used to offer a special lunch menu but they've done way with that. They offer a nice variety of sandwiches though and all come with a choice of a side. Quick, friendly service and food was very good. Great place for a lunch time meeting in the downtown area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before show at the RiversideCasualDiner57Dined on 4/15/2014I had reservations here prior to a show at the Riverside. When we arrived, the hostess said that the wait was 30 minutes despite the dining room being only half full. Thankfully I had a reservation and we were seated right away. Our waitress was only 1 of 2 in the restaurant and only stopped by our table 3 times during the meal, including to drop off and pick up the check. We received our appetizer with our main meal and I did not get the accompanying salad with my meal, even though the guy at the table next to us asked (and received) seconds of his salad. I paid $19 for 5 garlic shrimp with a scoop of potatoes and 10 limp asparagus. The food was tasty but overpriced for what you actually receive. Convenient but I would not visit again.Special Features:
- Pre Show DiningTheatregoerDined on 3/28/2014Port Of Call is one of the restaurants we like to frequent for dinner before a performance at the Milwaukee Rep. It is conveniently located across the river from The Rep allowing us to park once and be within walking distance of our evening activities. The restaurant is rarely crowed and service is always attentive. Entrees always look as great as they taste. My bacon cheddar burger on a pretzel roll was juicy and delicious and the White Cheddar Cheese Curds literally are the best I have ever had. We never fail to order them as an appetizer. The river walk patio is a wonderful option during the warmer summer months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Quality and ValueCoriVIPDined on 3/22/2014We absolutely loved everything! We started with the scallops and crab claws- scallops were seared perfectly, and for one, not over cooked! I loved that we had to put in work...no pre-split claws here, and well worth the effort. We loved the scallops so much, we both ordered the scallop risotto entree. The only down side was that some of the risotto wasn't cooked long enough- I would guess they added more rice to the original batch because only some pieces were underdone. Not a deal breaker by any means. The tiramisu had a unique presentation, and was also phenomenal. The bottle of Decoy Pinot Noir paired nicely with our meal, and was more than fairly priced. I have never enjoyed a meal so much for less than $150! Will return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Port of Call was great! MyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Port of Call was great! My girlfriend and I googled restaurants in down town Milwaukee and this was the first place that popped up. We looked at the menu online and decided we would try it. Great decision!!! The food was excellent, came out very quickly, and looked much more like 2 pieces of art than something we were about to eat. The service was great, the head manager or owner came by twice to check on us, as well as a very knowledgeable waiter who helped us with directions as we are from out of town. I would def recommend to anyone and look forward to going back in the summer and be able to sit outside on the river patioSpecial Features:
- Great Fish FryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014We went to Port of Call before seeing The Chieftains at the Pabst Theater. The fish fry was great as was tha Salmon and the mahi mahi. This is a great spot for dinner before seeing a show. We will be back.