Port Gamble General Store & Café
32400 Rainier Ave, NE
Port Gamble, WA 98364Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Port Gamble General Store & Café
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.portgamblegeneralstore.com/
- Phone: (360) 297-7636
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Thursday: 9:00am - 12:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 8:00am - 3:00pm.
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm.
Dinner: Thursday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm.
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Patti Horton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our cafe dining room is available during dinner hours for large parties of up to 50. Please contact the café for details and menu selection.
- Private Party Contact: Kim Campbell 3602977636
A word from Port Gamble General Store & Café
Located in the picture perfect, historical town of Port Gamble, The Port Gamble General Store & Café offers Northwest/New American cuisine daily. Great care is taken in sourcing ingredients, and most everything is made in-house to ensure quality control. We strive to "do right" by our quality ingredients to create a menu that delights and satisfies. 24 rotating beer taps, extensive wine list, and eclectic spirits list, add to the pleasure of dining in this unique setting. Deck seating is open seasonally, overlooking the north end of the Hood Canal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Port Gamble General Store & Café - Best Restaurants in Port Gamble ›
Port Gamble General Store & Café reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (27)neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (23)great for lunch (23)great for outdoor dining (18)great for brunch (17)special occasion (10)good for groups (8)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (5)romantic (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Have now had breakfast, lunch and dinner..love it!UnderwhelmedDined on 11/21/2014It is one one my favorite places to dine in the NW. Fresh, great food and options for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not goOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014You made a reservation for me on the day they were having a special wine tasting dinner starting at 5:30PM. Needless to say, we did not go.
- Expanded, Revamped, Still a FavoriteJewelsVIPDined on 11/16/2014This is a very local favorite. It is in a great location, views of the Sound, etc. The food is generally quite good. After the expansion inside and out (a deck was added as well), the staff including the kitchen seem to have a tough time keeping up with the amount of diners. We hope they'll find their way in time for the really busy season to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BROKE THE RULESHADITDined on 10/31/2014NEVER AGAIN. rULE 1. NEVER GO ON FRIDAY OR SATURDAY EVENING. CROWDS, NOISE. EVERYTHING SUFFERS. RULE 2. STICK WITH THE REGULAR MENU. AVOID "SPECIALS".GROSSLY OVER PRICED. i'VE BEEN HERE FOR LUNCH. A BIT PRICEY BUT USUALLY GOOD..
- maryleeDined on 10/17/2014Great food and service. I think this will be out new favorite spot. The maple/crème fraiche flan for dessert was unforgettable.Special Features:
- Weekday LunchladywholunchesDined on 10/16/2014Our party of three was seated promptly at our reservation time. The server took our order, & we let her know that we had a time limit. This day, we waited almost 45 minutes to get our food (soup & sandwich, sandwich, and fish & chips). I noticed that many other customers were waiting some time as well. We were able to leave at the time we needed , but the long wait to be served was something I hadn't experienced here before. We dined in the new space, which was very nice. And it was good to see they kept the original dining room too. I will go back, and hope for a shorter wait for the great food they serve here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would dine there again!PolygeekDined on 10/11/2014Menu is pretty limited, desserts are amazing, and the overall experience was wonderful. Had my teeth set for a crab roll, which I saw on the menu online, but it wasn't listed for dinner. More menu choices would be nice but what they serve they serve well!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014We did not have a good dining experience, and informed the owner of our reasons when we were there. She did not charge us for our meal.
- Will go againtravjeanDined on 10/3/2014Quaint small restaurant with eclectic decor. The menu was surprisingly innovative with many good choices which included, appropriately, many seafood options. Our table shared the Penn Cove mussels which were quite good but should have provided bread to sop the liquor. Caesar salad was lovely, baked brie/figs/hazelnut with toast very tasty. We didn't think the gnocchi was seasoned properly or have good texture. Crab roll someone at our table had was a bit dry and presentation made it a challenge to eat. Our server was a lively New Zealander with great energy and fun. Added to the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a scenic locationbythebay4Dined on 9/13/2014Fantastic selection includes the unusual (Scotch Egg) as well as the everyday (Ruben sandwich), blending pub type fare with fancier choices. The variety extends to size (small and large plates) and source (sea and turf options). Our reserved table awaited us yet our hostess graciously accommodated our request to be seated outside on the deck, with its view of Hood Canal and Gamble Bay, explaining that the Café doesn't reserve deck seating, only indoor tables. Our server Phillip was personable and attentive with all of his patrons, kept our water glasses topped off, and met our needs without being overbearing. He's a gem. Food was delicious, prepared to perfection, and presented well.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014A comfortable place with a foodie vibe in a lovely NW environment.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!!!SiegsDined on 9/4/2014Fantastic food and great menu selections! Too many things to choose from so I must return soon!!! Fresh ingredients, inventive food without being pretentious. Great service and terrific waiter!!! I cannot wait to go back again! Make sure to save room for dessert - they are fabulous!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Puget Sound GemHAPPYDined on 8/30/2014We've been to Port Gamble General Store three times this summer and have been delighted with each visit. The gourmet food is gorgeously presented and delicious! The interior design is dark and sophisticated inside, yet the deck has a festive atmosphere and overlooks the port and channel waters. A brilliant cafe!Special Features:
- DisapointingRustyRooDined on 8/22/2014Bad experience. Rude hostess, puffed up waiter. Overpriced, new seating lacks ambiance. Walked out before ordering.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceraunbDined on 8/16/2014Lovely fresh food with local specialties offered, excellent service. We received our orders in good time. Very nice location. A great place to take visiting guests for a casual meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday lunchalbarinoDined on 8/15/2014Lovely, accessible venue for a reunion, birthday lunch. We talked alot and stayed long after lunch was over. All very fine with staff. Desserts were fabulous.Special Features:
- Food TasteAnnieDined on 8/14/2014Food was extremely bland, however one dish was too spicy hot. Too many jalapenos. They should make diners aware of how hot it would be and let them know they could have less.
- Great food, service improving...LesmalchatgrisVIPDined on 8/9/2014Had another excellent meal at the Port Gamble General Store and Cafe. Service is definitely improving. Staff is young. Will return for the excellent food and ambiance. A note of caution, when busy, the restaurant is very... loud. A drastic contrast to the relaxing ambiance enjoyed in their outdoor seating area. As well, the choice of music does not reflect the clientele. Guessing the kitchen staff is selecting the playlist and controlling the volume. Management should pay closer attention to this... especially since the acoustics of the interior amplify the "chatter" already. Maybe something can be done about the noise level? Acoustic absorbing panels?Special Features:
- DELIGHTFUL DINING EXPERIENCEislandgalVIPDined on 8/8/2014When we walked in I was pleasantly surprised to see deep charcoal black walls and Restoration Hardware crystal lighting fixtures…..charming and inviting space to have dinner. Our server was friendly and offered good suggestions in response to our questions. The Scotch egg was excellent and my friends enjoyed the fig and frisee salad. We ordered a tempura ling cod special which was lightly battered and good; served with a variety of tempura veggies. I was disappointed in the local spirits offered….especially the vodka. My friends enjoyed the local gin. I would have liked to have the option to order a premium vodka like Grey Goose or Absolut. We shared two desserts which were delicious. We will definitely return again soon.Special Features:
- Service was better before remodelMdineDined on 8/8/2014We have been here a handful of times. Used to feel like somewhere casual with friendly staff and you could get really quality food. Post remodel the food is the same quality but the staff is just trying to provide a level of service that is not as warm or neighborhood friendly. I don't go to reasturants to make friends but it just felt cold and unreceptive from drink refills and when 2 of the 3 of us had ordered crab rolls at the height of crab season they were not available that day. We don't go out very offen probably won't be back... Just like a little more warmth, personality, some life not black shirt robots. Good food I'm sure most people would have a great time...Special Features:
- Food +, the rest, well, needs help.LesmalchatgrisVIPDined on 8/2/2014The food is creative and great. In fact, had the best moules and frites I've had in years. However, the management and staff need some help. We made our reservation using open table. For some reason, the restaurant cancelled our reservation through open table (confirmed by the manager), but we luckily were able to get a table relatively soon. The waiter took three tries to get us the correct glass of RED wine ordered... first came a white (sent back), then came another white (again sent back) the waiter assured us "should be the right one now," third came a red. However, upon ordering the second glass "of the same," a different red (without question) was delivered. Lastly, the restaurant refused to take our Open Table reward check!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time Warp Travel with Great FoodTeddyDined on 8/2/2014Some of the best, most innovative food in the county. I can't even fill one hand counting restaurants as good here in Kitsap County. Service is usually very good with affable people. After working in food and beverage previously myself, I am pretty particular but I have yet to have a bad meal here, as have my dining companions. Plus, Port Gamble is very charming and you feel like you are in a time warp due to being in a company owned lumber town that is pretty much how it was as built many, many years ago. Put together with the Cafe and the experience is unique and definitely worth traveling there for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Excellent ServiceLoriCDined on 8/1/2014I had a really lovely dinner with friends. The food was fresh, nicely prepared and downright delicious. Our waiter was attentive and funny. What more can you ask for?Special Features:
- The following 5 reviews are from the Port Gamble General Store & Café reviews archive.
- WOW!IslandhoppersDined on 7/27/2014We have had breakfast here a couple of times but had never dinner. We also had not been there since their remodel. Our meal, service, and view were all excellent! Our waiter was very professional and attentive but not overbearing. Our entrees were the gnocchi and the pork chop. Both were generous portions, delicious, and very nicely presented. We also had the roasted kale and it was outstanding. We shared a tasty dessert that was large enough to take some home for the next night. Their wine list has variety both in types of wine and price points. All in all, a great night out and we will be back for sure!Special Features:
- UPSCALE DINING, QUAINT COMMUNITYMinnaDined on 7/27/2014We are never disappointed with our dining experience at the Port Gamble Cafe! Whether it's a spontaneous drop-in for lunch or an evening reservation for dinner with friends, the food is always delicious, the service great…and we always find room for their delectable desserts! The Port Gamble Cafe is a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Great/ Service SlowBBoopDined on 7/17/2014This is my second visit in just over a week and the same problem seems to be occurring. The kitchen is not properly staffed or organized to handle the increased load now that they have expanded. Breakfast visit had us waiting 45 minutes to receive our food and we were there at 8:15 am on a Friday. This latest visit was for lunch. Our wait time was over an hour. Our waitress never came back to us to explain except at the very end. Food is good but having to wait such a long time for our orders needs to be fixed if they want "locals" to continue to support them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch Spotfarr76Dined on 5/24/2014Met up with some dear friends for lunch. They had recently expanded and I had heard only good things about their food. I was not disappointed. The menu is great and the food was delicious. Good value as well. Will definitely keep this place in mind when I am out in that area. I want to take my husband and also my daughter when we are out on a girls shopping adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disapointed lunchdinerDined on 5/10/2014From what I understand, this place is known more for their breakfast menu then their lunch. Unfortunately we had lunch and not breakfast. It took 30 minutes for our lunch with no onevchecking in on us. I had ordered a chicken salad sandwich. The chicken salad was good but the bread was super dry and the French fries were dark dark brown, I'm guessing this is because it was old oil. My mom had the fish and chips, very heavy batter and not much fish. But the taste was good and moist. I would not go back for lunch, but I would try their breakfast if we were in that area next time.Special Features: