Port - Dining, Bar, Patio
1289 Wharf St.
Pickering, ON L1W 1A2Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
Port - Dining, Bar, Patio
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://portrestaurant.ca/
- Phone: (905) 839-7678
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday
Lunch 11:30am – 4:00pm
Dinner 4:00pm - close
Brunch 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Late Night menu 10:00pm - 12:00pm
Brunch 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Thomas Heitz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Jazz in the Lounge on Sundays, Acoustic in the Lounge on Thursdays
- Special Events: Follow our website updates to view our ongoing special events.
A word from Port - Dining, Bar, Patio
PORT Dining Room-Bar-Patio is located on the shores of Frenchman's Bay in Bay Ridges, Pickering. We offer a global selection of fare, cocktails, spirits, wine and beer in an elegantly-casual, come-as-you-are setting. Executive Chef, John L. Harcourt, has created globally inspired menus that evolve to reflect the season and locally produced products. Our Bar Team has created cocktails that reflect the passion and skill of the original bartender(s).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Port - Dining, Bar, Patio - Best Restaurants in Pickering ›
Port - Dining, Bar, Patio reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (80)special occasion (49)neighborhood gem (49)great for outdoor dining (48)romantic (40)fit for foodies (31)good for groups (29)notable wine list (19)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (18)hot spot (12)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Will Give it Another ChanceMicastoneDined on 11/15/2014Great views in the comfortable dining room. I would go back again - though for a vegan the menu is limited. My winter salad starter was good. But then seeing no vegan choices I gave the kitchen license to create and I got a slightly more complex winter salad. My wife was disappointed by the chicken too. Strange as I've been very happy there before. The table was unanimously disappointed with deserts – but reported so when asked and found that they were removed when the bill came. I'd go back on the strength of other experiences - just in case it is something weird - you know an anomaly. But if it was just based on Saturday's experience, I don't know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened to the Lunch Menu?RabcoDined on 11/13/2014We meet friends at this restaurant approximately once per month, and have done so for around 8 years. Normally the place is very busy and I always make a reservation. This time we arrived at 12:30 on a Thursday, and there was ample parking. That was clue number 1. We were served competently and quickly but what had been a 3-4 page menu now consisted of a single page. Clue number 2. We all ordered what we deemed to be the best of a small lot. I chose the fish and chips. When our orders arrived we noticed that the portions seemed smaller than previously. Clue number 3. The fries, small and few as they were, were ok but the fish had no taste at all. The others in my party were not impressed either. While we were eating we noticed smoke accompanied by a smell of burning wires. No one seemed to care for there was no announcement, nor did any of the staff comment. It was more than somewhat unsettling. I take no pleasure in posting a negative review like this, especially since this was a favourite of ours. However, there seems to have been a gradual deterioration in the customer experience, and ours is stopping at this point.
- John and Monika's business dinner.MrJohnnieDined on 11/12/2014Appetizers (Mushroom & Onion "Bruschetta") & cheese/meat plate both were excellent. Great ingredients on both items. My main course (Jambalaya) was good but the portion could have been a little larger for my liking (I am a big eater). It had a nice kick, the way Jambalaya should be. My associate's pasta dish (can't recall the name) was good, according to her, and the portion size was very generous. There was no Crème Brule available (sold out) when it came time for dessert. As such, we passed. However plenty of other interesting looking choices. Our server (a pretty, personable young woman with a baby in her belly!)was great. Even though the menu was brand new, she knew enough about it to make very good recommendations. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch - again!retyredDined on 11/6/2014Even though we moved to downtown Toronto, Port is our go to place for special meals. Lunch was delicious- a great sweet potato soup and so fresh deli sandwich! The server was great - just the right amount of attentiveness. I enjoyed a visit with friends I haven't seen for a long time. We were left with our coffees to talk and watch the beautiful white swans outside the window. Perfect setting and ambiance! - and quiet enough to carry on a conversation. P.S. Also loved the organic Caesar mix they use in their cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathleenVIPDined on 11/1/2014Service was excellent. The food was delicious and respect for food sensitivities was handled well. My son's salmon was undercooked and he was quickly supplied with a new serving. We love the view and will come back again in summer when we can see the water in daylight.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Service was excellent and food was great. There were 8 in our party and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:
- 24acatDined on 10/25/2014Very enjoyable, friendly and attentive service tasty food - great Port view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the viewhoneymariaDined on 10/19/2014I recently had dinner at the Port. Both myself and my guest ordered the prime rib special. The prime rib was done to perfection. The potatoes were excellent. I found the other vegetables a little lacking. The dessert was tasty but small for the price. Would probably go again but definitely not an every day restaurant in my opinion.Special Features:
- Excellent!ArmB500Dined on 10/18/2014Everything was perfect. From the service, the ambiance, and of course the food. We were there with our teens in jeans and there was a large group beside us in suit jackets. Both fit nicely but next time I would opt for a less casual look. There was a proposal next to us. We had a wonderful evening and will absolutely be back. Love the online reservation system!Special Features:
- DisappointedAjaxFoodieVIPDined on 10/12/2014Normally we love Port -- good food, good service, great venue, decent value. But their Thanksgiving special was very disappointing: the main course food was good, but there was very little of it. For $28, I would expect more than two small slices of turkey. And the pumpkin pie could have been store-bought. It felt very much like Port was cutting corners. Disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiggerDined on 10/11/2014The waitress was a little misleading. She asked what was wanted on the steak and gave my husband choices but neglected to mention that they were all extra. ( $2.50 for a dallop of butter) She told us the specials but not the prices. I know we were negligent in asking but we were certainly unprepared for the $33.00 cost of three lamb chops. Rather expensive, I thought. Overall, the food and the service was good. We were there for a 50th dinner and it was special. But, it would be too expensive to visit on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Personal favouriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/7/2014Some nights are better than others at Port, but we still quite enjoy the menu. The staff has always been friendly and accommodating on our visits. When the kitchen is on, the food is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Birthday treat!JELODined on 9/30/2014I took my wife out for a birthday dinner, and I wanted to go somewhere local. Well, I would describe this as a "local treasure". The dining room was comfortable, the scenery was beautiful, the service was outstanding...and our meal was absolutely DELICIOUS!" My wife ordered the linguini and it was to die for. I of course dug into a steak that was cooked to perfection! What a great place...a true "local treasure"Special Features:
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerJessicaDined on 9/28/2014We really enjoyed our night-out at the Port. We were seated next to a table with a lot of kids which was the only downside because they were a bit noisy but all in all it was a wonderful experience. We are in walking distance of the restaurant so we were able to enjoy some cocktails and a delicious wine. We also really enjoyed our appetizer, meals and dessert. Our server was very kinda and helpful. We will definitely be back again soon but maybe for brunch next time!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The food was good, however the cheese tray could have been better. We will not order it again. And not to have enough corn bread was very disappointing.Special Features:
- Great night, great food!Luv2eatDined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful overall experience at Port. The server was great and the food was wonderful. We watched the most beautiful sunset from the outdoor patio overlooking Frenchman's Bay. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RascoDined on 9/26/2014Unfortunatly the food for two of our party of four arrived cold, was returned and arrived cold again. Not a very promising start. The wait staff did their best. The wine list lacked a number of prices.Special Features:
- the Port RestaurantDiggerDined on 9/23/2014Great ambiance, food was fantastic, service was exemplary. You have a choice of a didning room area a lounge area or a patio area all of which have a great view of Frenchmen's bay. We ate in the dinning room but took the time to tour the rest of the restaurant after our meal. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Wonderful nightMargDined on 9/13/2014We went for dinner on a Saturday night and were very happy with the service, the view is incredible, the food amazing. We were not sure about the wine and somebody from the bar came to the table to give us some guidance. We will back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs some LeadershipleaderwantedDined on 9/9/2014While the lady who was our server was nice, the level of service we expect in a restaurant like this was lacking. The attention to the customer needs was missing and the attention to the timeline of the dinner experience was missing. It felt like there wee some great people working there without a strong knowledgeable leader.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had high hopes - Very disappointedlovefoodDined on 9/7/2014The experience was sub par. A friend ordered a Caesar and received a drink with no garnish when it was clearly stated on the menu. Imo, the garnishes make that drink. As for the service, we received our meals last when we were one of the first groups in the door. Also, we asked for an umbrella to be lowered, the waitress said she would do it, but took 20 min to return, before which we had asked another waitress who refused to lower it. Food-wise, it was pretty mediocre. A friend ordered chicken+waffles and actually only got pieces of fried chicken in between 2 mini waffles. Nothing to boast about. No special sauce. No garnish. It looked like it was thrown together in a second. My meal was better (Northern Benny), but still pretty average.Special Features:
- First time there, great find!!!FraternityBrotherDined on 9/6/2014Great experience, all food was perfectly cooked, especially the scallops! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent dining experienceMartinoDined on 9/2/2014Menu is not extensively long but the food was excellent. The service was at the same level - excellent. Extremely friendly and the breaks between the courses were perfect. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very bad serviceNotveryhappyDined on 8/31/2014We finished our drink, I had to flag down another server to say we wanted to order a bottle of wine because we hadn't seen our server in 10 mins. We waited another 20 minutes, our dinners were served and we had to remind her that we had ordered a bottle of wine to have with our dinner 20 minutes ago. The wine came shortly thereafter. We ordered cappuccinos and dessert. We finished our coffees and were still waiting for five or ten minutes for our dessert to arrive. By the time it came we just told her we were no longer interested and to bring us the bill. If I order a bottle of wine to have with my dinner I like the wine to be on the table and poured prior to my plate coming out of the kitchen. Most of us do, don't we?Special Features:
- Great patioOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014We went for brunch, and was seated on the patio overlooking the marina and lake, view was fantastic. Service was prompt and discreet. Brunch menu was extensive but price is not cheap. Quality of food was good but not exceptional (just what you expected for brunch). Coffee was fresh strong and came in a big mug. I will definitely return for brunch on a sunny day and may be in the evening to try their dinner with a different night view.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Great outdoor patio with wonderful water views. Service was wonderful but food selection limited and food quality average.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood Spot by the LakeAbbeyDined on 8/24/2014We normally enjoy great food and terrific service at The Port. Noticed this summer that service is slower and attention to a fabulous hot meal has suffered, particularly on the patio. Would like to see more items on the menu for fall so we can continue to enjoy this great spot. Love the duck perogies so please keep those!Special Features:
- SunshineDined on 8/22/2014First time at Port - Dining, Bar, Patio. Wonderful way to celebrate my husband's birthday. The food was great and the ambiance was just right. Definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great near-by restaurantyums24Dined on 8/18/2014Love this restaurant, its great for special occasions. The food isn't all that amazing but everything else makes up for it, like great wine, great ambiance, great view, great location (neighborhood gem)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and good food.luv2eatDined on 8/18/2014My friends and I went the other night to celebrate a birthday. It was a beautiful summer evening and enjoyed our dinner while looking out at the water. The food was delish and the service and staff were friendly and accommodating. I will definitely share this gem with my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Sunday lunchHungrychickDined on 8/17/2014I had had lunch here in the winter and wanted to take in the view again in all it's summer glory. I wasn't disappointed. The restaurant has a beautiful location looking out onto Lake Ontario. The service was very good. The hostess was courteous and our waitress was very helpful and gracious. I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner - the Waffles and fried chicken and my dining partner had great fish and chips. The batter on the fish (Haddock) was that perfect golden crispy texture. I will definitely be back. Afterwards we drove a few blocks down to the waterfront and had a walk on the boardwalk. I was a wonderful afternoon excursion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for 50th anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Took my parents for their 50th Anniversary. They we very happy with the entire evening. Food, service,, everything was spot on. We had a nice table with some privacy right by the window over looking the marina. The Port is one of the best restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Nice evening outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We were out for our anniversary - nice special evening out.Special Features:
- wineanddinegirlDined on 8/10/2014Had a great dining experience! They offered a cameniere which we ordered and was exceptional. Don't find too many spots that offer this grape varietal. Kudos to Port!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's Happened?BirdieVIPDined on 8/10/2014We have been here several times and always enjoyed the experience. Not this time! Asked for a table in the bar area and then waited for 10 minutes while they set up on the PATIO for us. Meanwhile, several tables were prepared and waiting in the bar area. Once seated in the bar, We ordered appetizers. Two had salad, two ordered oysters. The salad eaters were finished before the oysters appeared. Fish and chips, which used to be a specialty, are now quite average. Two ordered seafood carbonara. One had the sundried tomatoes as advertised. The other did not! Then we got a note from Open Table to say that we didn't honour our reservation! The only saving grace was the effort made by our server. She deserves an EXCELLENT rating.Special Features:
- Could be betternonameDined on 8/10/2014The restaurant was physically appealing and the view was fantastic. Our server was sweet and attentive. The problem was that the hostess wasn't welcoming and made us feel as if we were an inconvenience. Interaction with this hostess, twice, soured our visit. Unfortunately, there were no condiments on the table and the preserves for brunch weren't brought to the table when we asked for them for the toast (the person who pours the water forgot to let the server know). The food was average and my friend found that her scrambled egg portion was very small. Due to the lack of preserves, the server managed to arrange a deduction in the bill which was very kind of her to do so as we didn't request this. We'd return for the view.Special Features:
- Smoked OutGustafstonDined on 8/9/2014Having recently moved back from B.C. to Ontario after a 5-year stay, I was appalled to discover that what would otherwise be a wonderful patio - was spoiled by cigarette smoke. In B.C., smoking is not allowed on a restaurant/bar patio. Anywhere. Ever. Port is a terrific restaurant with great service and exceptional food - - however the drawing card just may be their magnificent patio overlooking frenchman's bay. This type of experience is rare to Ontario, as (unlike the West Coast) the waterfronts of most of the provice (and throughout the Great Lakes) are largely underdeveloped. I can only surmise that because Port essentially has a monopoly in the Durham region due to their patio, they would be best served by butting out completely.Special Features:
- Food was okayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014They would do better if they embraced what they have locally and skipped the rest. The seafood pasta was not good. Cornbread was excellent. Very nice view and outdoor dining.Special Features:
- YummyEatingOutDined on 8/4/2014Good food and ambiance. Worth the visit. It's become one if our favourite places in Pickering.Special Features:
- Great PotentialpleasedtoeatDined on 8/3/2014My parents have ate at Port a couple times and told us these great stories about the food, so I came in with high expectations. The restaurant was very nice and the quality appeared to be there. Our meals were fairly good, my husband raved about his Steak Burger but meal didn't meet expectations. The Bacon Mac and Cheese though tasty was very watery. The Kale Chips had great flavour but just a little under done. I will still give Port another chance.Special Features: