850 Commerce St
Miami, FL 33139Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.porfirios.com.mx/
- Phone: 7862167675
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily:11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner Nightly: 6:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Miguel Cortazar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Porfirio's Miami
Porfirio"s have perfected the iconic Mexican dishes through an exquisite, contemporaneous and exceptional touch, adding a tasteful and distinguished service, coupled with amazing presentations that will redefine everything you thought you knew about High-End Mexican Cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Porfirio's Miami reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (32)hot spot (29)good for groups (23)special occasion (22)vibrant bar scene (20)fit for foodies (19)neighborhood gem (11)great for lunch (10)romantic (10)late-night find (8)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Amazing with a Capital AOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Great service, great food, pricey but worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinksChrisdyVIPDined on 9/17/2014We have been to upscale MexicaN RESTAURANTS BEFORE AND WE WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED. fIRST WE HAD A COCKTAIL AT THE BAR AND IT WAS VERY GOOD. tHEY USED A SPICED SALT FOR THE RIM OF THE DRINKS AND IT WAS YUMMY. They also served us a fried chees snack- very nice. We then went to our table- the food was very good. I think my major complaint was that the service was good but they kept trying to rush you to order and eat even though the restaurant was basically empty. It took an experienced diner to keep them from rushing you. I like to enjoy my dining experience and often eating out in a nice restaurant is our entertainment for the evening, so I don't like to be rushed. All in all, the food was very good.Special Features:
- Porfirio'DrTast3budsDined on 9/6/2014I loved everything about this place except for the food. I didn't get a chance to order any of the main dishes because I filled up on apps and tacos and quesadillas. Overall I liked a tuna app and the shrimp tacos. We had a stuffed poblano that was sub par. However, I will give it another shot. The restaurant is beautiful with great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Food was great, service was good, A little bit expensive but they have a great show, show in the sense how they serve the food. The only thing I did not like what that it seems that rush you out. In a hour and half we had diner, dessert and were driving home.Special Features:
- Triste...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/5/2014Harry's Cancun - from the same ownership - is a great dining experience. Porfirio's South Beach probably won't make it 6 months. The people/service were great, the location is excellent (SOFI), but the food had absolutely no flavor. We ordered all of our favorites from Mexico: sopes, gorditas, tacos al vapor, mole, chamorro, and even churros for dessert. It all tasted the same - like nothing. We've been waiting for gourmet Mexican food for years in Miami... and we're still waiting. JAVIER'S... are you listening? PLEASE fix this! We want great Mexican food in Miami please!
- Amazing Restaurantandy0785Dined on 8/31/2014This restaurant took me back to Mexico! ! Loved it, food, ambiance, attention, drinks unbelievable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's not close to mexican oneCustomerVIPDined on 8/24/2014Been to the ones in Mexico The service is horrible. Three different waiters came by and said I'll be your waiter. Confused No list by the glass for tequila just bottle and they charged 30 dólares a short The food was old waitress confused the order Wow they Need. Help soon
- Good food, Bad experienceMonyVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food and presentation of the dishes were amazing, unfortunately we were not treated properly. I asked for a spice menu on a Sunday because I saw on the website they were participating on Sundays for dinner, and the waiter (Diego) said that they were not participating on Sundays. I was extremely embarrassed with my guests, because I sold them the idea of going there and take advantage of the spice menu, they were looking forward to the spice menu. When it comes to food I don't mind spending the money, but not everyone can afford US$18.00 tacos. We definitely felt disappointed.
- Excellent authentic mexican food!CampeDined on 8/23/2014The food was delicious and beautifully presented! The restaurant is nicely decorated! Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/23/2014The outdoors is great, but not in August, we were hot and found a table under a fan....will go back next week but ask to sit inside. The services was excellent the food was good, and the presentation was absolutely incredible. Fun place to go!Special Features:
- I love Mexican and this was great!RobBVIPDined on 8/21/2014I love authentic Mexican food and Porfirio's did not disappoint. However, they are still suffering some growing pains in terms of sequencing the arrival of the elements of the meal (e.g., our table side guacamole arrived after our starters). The skillets, grills and pots used as actual plates and bowls are cute and make things easier to pass/share. However, they do take up a lot of space on the table and when the courses all arrive at the same time, the table is impossible to navigate. Porfirio's is South of Fifth pricing, so be prepared. But the food was truly delicious and flavorful. The fresh lime juice house margarita was wonderful. Despite the challenges, the staff was earnest and helpful. I'm going back again this week!
- Mexican IlussionconsistentVIPDined on 8/21/2014Beautiful restaurant , personally thought it was missing something in the food - spices were too mild & lacking soul & flavor . Recepies were interesting , but there was not love to the food, surprised how tasteless their fish dish was ! only know high in Mexican eclectic from Mexico City & this was not it !Special Features:
- great food, service NRFPTmarmotteDined on 8/20/2014Tried Porfirios mid-week, 5 weeks after they opened. LOVED: high ceiling & decor, concept of "gourmet Mexican street food". Sauces (especially the habenero/lime!). Their version of chips & salsa w/whole tostada shells instead of chips. The plating. DIDNT LOVE: the loud nightclub music... not suitable for a romantic dinner. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM was the service: LOTS of employees, w/great intentions & friendly attitudes, BUT confusion reigned...miscommunications, mid-floor mini-conferences between employees & supes, traffic jams as they tried to get big service carts to back tables, looooong pauses between courses. Hopefully theyll get this ironed out quickly - we'll give it a 2nd try for the food, and hope that the service is on par next timeSpecial Features:
- great, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Not a good place to eat outside in Miami in August, when it's 500 degrees out at 9:00pm. Would have been better if the restaurant had a better outdoor cool setup, e.g. more fans, misting, etc. Still a great spot for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ready for prime timePe85VIPDined on 8/16/2014Most of the food was disappointing, in terms of taste, size and presentation, very expensive and service disorganized and inconsistent. The restaurant is georgeous, but now they really need to work in the food and service if they want repeat customers.Special Features:
- Unorganized servicemgfoodDined on 8/15/2014Long wait for dishes, un coordinated and inefficient service.Special Features:
- Good RestaurantRealMVIPDined on 8/9/2014Good quality, nice decor, have to improve in the service. The food is very authentic. The chef is Cuban but he is very good.Special Features:
- AwfulPickyVIPDined on 8/9/2014The atmosphere is great - even better when it cools down to sit outside. The service is over eager; don't spent 5 minutes walking down specialty cocktails when I plan to order a lemonade at lunch. And the food? It is lousy. It is theatrical which overcompensated for overcooked, tasteless items. Is that chicken in tomatoe sauce for real? Hockey puck chunks in ketchup if you ask me. I have tried twice - really want this place to work - but can't stomach returning until someone better comes to cook!
- Good, hip but very expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Beautiful decor, the food is good not amazing but not bad just found it too expensive. Also didn't like that waiter was trying to upsell us all night.Special Features:
- Overpriced Mexican FoodD33139VIPDined on 8/8/2014I expected a lot from this restaurant. Food was just ok. Table made guacamole is better at the national chains and cheaper then here. The specialty drink menu only had 1 tequila drink that wasn't that good. Big disappointmentSpecial Features:
- A Welcomed Experience to SoFiRedSoxFanVIPDined on 8/4/2014Really enjoyed the sapce, the service and the food. Isabella the host is very hospitable and caring! A rare find on South Beach! Bernhard our server was polished, knowledgeable and provided us with everything we needed. Add this to your list of must go restaurants.
- Rude, Pushy ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/2/2014Ask NOT to have Robert as your server. Arrogant, pushy and rude. Presses for big order for big tip??Special Features:
- Needs timeRobertoDined on 8/1/2014Food good, true mexican food, but service the y really have to work in it. The Restaurant will be a success, no doubt about itSpecial Features:
- GREAT MEXICAN FOODANTONIODined on 7/30/2014MODERN ARCHITECTURE AND DECORATION PLACE, NICE ATMOSPHERE , ORIGINAL MEXICAN TRADITION FOOD WITH A SPECIAL TOUCH AND PRESENTATION.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- notgoodDined on 7/28/2014too hot outside, the fans didn't work properly, the food was not spicy enough, the margaritas were served in a cheese glass of texmex , the only good thing was the guacamole finally full of mosquitos and i got 8 stins
- Nice RestaurantRealMVIPDined on 7/27/2014Good Service, excellent food and good drinks. Alexander my waiter was exceptional. He explain very well all the dishes.Special Features:
- What a waste money!love2dineVIPDined on 7/27/2014The decoration is pretty! There is outside sitting (Summer in Miami?). We opted for inside sitting; tables are too close together, hardly enough room for waiters to walk around. We (5) ordered drinks and guacamole. Drinks were wonderful! Guacamole was pressed avocado w onions and cilantro on side, bland. Added spicy sauce for some taste. Main courses: Beef Tips in Chipotle sauce–tough, chewy and tasteless; Chicken Garcia over-grilled chicken breast w 2 pieces of cheese, Fish–ok; Short Rib–tasteless and dry, squeeze 4 lime wedges over it to add taste. No one finished their food! Spent $400. Needless-to-say, we will not return. Porfirio’s is not a restaurant we will recommend to anyone. (Giving it two stars because the drinks were great.)
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Nothing compare to the one in Polanco Mexico. I was truly disappointed . My chile relleno was frozen and the esquites is not the true version of the typical Mexican dish.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Great ambiance. I expected more from the food. Too much salt and not enough flavor. Some places never get it and equate salt to flavor.Special Features:
- WillowAuntieDined on 7/23/2014I was disappointed. My Grouper was a little dry and it is very expensive for a little bit of food. it is a beautiful place and the salad was good, but certainly not worth the cost of the dinner. I will try it when I want to eat tacos and not elegant dinner again.Special Features:
- Average food, horrible servicefrankymvDined on 7/22/2014Food was average at best. Drinks where terrible. Had to send martinis back and several of us could not finish our entries because they where so bad. Service was abysmal. I give this place 8 months before it closes down completely.
- FINALLY an upscale Mexican in Sobe!JbellittiVIPDined on 7/20/2014It's about time for an upscale Mexican restaurant in south beach. Portfirio's offers great food in a beautiful setting with exceptional service! The menu is extensive, you will definitely need to go back to another delicious dish! Everything was great, the I strongly recommend the shrimp tacos; best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- newtomiamiDined on 7/20/2014Visited with high expectations on a Sunday night but was hugely disappointed. Cocktails sounded inventive, yet were weak and watery - not worth the $16 price tag. Service was friendly but terribly inefficient and slow. And while the food sounded great on the menu, it failed to deliver anything out of the ordinary. What's more, the tableside guacamole wasn't prepared tableside, but instead plonked on the table as a thin, slurry mush that was clearly over-crushed and barely seasoned. Shame really, as the space is quite lovely. But even in Miami there is much better (and more reasonable) Mexican food to be had. Rosa Mexicana on Lincoln Rd is the first that comes to mind.
- Good Mexican Foodrtoledo71Dined on 7/20/2014I went to this place based on the Miami New Times review. Was not disappointed. It's a bit on the pricer side but all the food was good. A few minor things nothing that requires any kind of negative comments. Service was great, up until it got busy. Waiter had too much to handle but was very apologetic about it. I'd say the only real issue is that they seated us outdoors. It's nice outside, but the mosquitos were horrible. If you don't mind getting devoured by mosquitos, the outside part of the restaurant is beautiful. Next time, I am going to request an inside table. I want to go back as I'd love to try some of the other dishes.Special Features:
- Go in a few monthsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/20/2014Good potential & to be fair they had only been open a few weeks. Our server did not really seem to know much & had to go check a few times on questions we asked. The manager did check-in, but another manager who was helping out was wearing jeans/polo & flip flops and just did not seem in keeping with the restaurant style. The restaurant is really amazing, they did a great job in the design etc. The food choice on the menu was extensive & although it did take a little while to come, it was very good. We will definitely give it a 2nd chance, but maybe in a few months after they iron out the service levels....20 minutes for bottle of wine, 15 minutes for check, 10 more minutes to close out checkSpecial Features:
- Bitter sweetMarianaDined on 7/19/2014Fabulous food!!! I felt I was being transported back to Mexico City!!! The service very poor our waiter super arrogant was not happy that I didn't ordered his suggestions is he kidding me I am Mexican and been in Porfirios Mexico 100 times, he was from Uruguay after that he got very annoyed and the service just went down hill in a very bad way. The restaurant is lovely and vibrant I will go back but I really hope they can improve the service.Special Features:
- Excellent Mexican on South Beach!JohnnyFiveVIPDined on 7/19/2014Good foods, excellent scene, and atmosphere... And even more important the service is by far the best we have experienced while in Miami... Definitely will be going there again, and looking forward to our next visit there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJackieDined on 7/19/2014Were seated in the back of the dining room with one of us facing a wall, music was certainly not of mexican sounds and so loud we couldn't converse without screaming, It took a long time for our server to get our drinks to the table. One of our party of four is a native of Mexico City and suggested items for us to order of which all were not even up to taste of On The Border (even the Guacamole was bland and tasted like avacado with a little sour cream on top. This makes us sad because we love Mexican cuisine and the restaurant is nice. As we dine out 2-3 evenings per week we would have made Porfirio's a once a week place had it been up to our expectations.
- Unfortunately not what expectedDine4Dined on 7/19/2014Needs a lot of issues worked out as a new restaurant. Service, very poor at best, terrible waiter, confused managers (albeit apologetic at every turn), food cold for each course and one ordered not served. Overcharged on check by item returned, and had to bring to servers attention. Interesting menu, being from Mexico DF a breath of fresh air as it is not a gimmick "Mexican" restaurant. However, besides a beautiful dining room and clever menu, leaves much else to be desired. Signature items were not delivered or delivered poorly (cold).Special Features:
- Feels like MexicoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2014The drinks are AMAZING but a bit pricey. The food is really good and as authentic Mexican as your going to get in Miami. Overall great place to go have dinner, not too noisy, cool ambience, attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.