605 W Main St
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://pops-durham.com/
- Phone: 9199567677
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday - Monday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chris Stinnett
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We also offer a private room that can accommodate groups from 15 to 45 people.
A word from Pop's Durham
Pop's Italian Trattoria is situated in the tobacco warehouse district of Brightleaf, alongside Morgan Imports and Fowlers Market. Opened in 1995, Pop's Italian Trattoria has been committed to a single, simple purpose, offering the best that a restaurant of this caliber can offer consistently. Pop's offers lunch and dinner menus as well as an extensive wine list. Choose from salads, pasta, meats and of course, our famous wood fired pizza with delicious toppings like house smoke chicken, pesto or brie, among others.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Pop's Durham - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Pop's Durham reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (29)special occasion (25)romantic (11)hot spot (11)great for lunch (8)late-night find (8)notable wine list (5)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Hungry?Luv2eatDined on 9/26/2014Excellent Food!!! Good service. You won't be disappointed. Good for date night or for hanging out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pops in DurhamCommander1Dined on 9/25/2014A completely satisfying experience at Pops, the service was excellent and the food was outstanding. Very nicely plated and properly prepared with great flavor. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too long, mixed-up orders, SO LOUDDisappointmentDined on 9/20/2014It took an eternity to get anything: bread and water, let alone food and wine. Every order was confused with another table's, and/or was wrong. Food was good, but it felt like work! And it was so incredibly loud. And it was a gorgeous evening and the patio was not open. Just plain dumb.Special Features:
- Not as good as recommendedAnneDined on 9/13/2014Atmosphere was rather rustic... It is in a converted factory, but expected a little more ambience. Good was ok, not great. I am a bread lover and Pop's was soft and not flavorful. Waitress named Kate was great!Special Features:
- DocMuhlbaierDined on 9/12/2014We had the chef's choice 3 course dinner (a living social fundraiser). On a Friday night, it was less special than the last time we had done so (a 5-star experience). Still, I'll be back, sooner rather than later.Special Features:
- Long-time favoriteNCFoodieDined on 9/11/2014Pops has been a favorite for many years -- great food in a relaxed but stylishly urban setting. Love the mussels!Special Features:
- Scrumptious Food; Terrific ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Friends came from Washington, DC to join us at Pop's for dinner. This was the second time that they had been there, and they insisted on going back. Of course, we did not hesitate because Pop's is one of our favorite places. Excellent food, terrific service, relaxed atmosphere! That chef can really cook!!!!Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014First time I have been there since they moved. The fish, think it was the red snapper was tough, the ravioli was good. For the price it was disappointing.Special Features:
- DisappointedtrilereyDined on 8/30/2014From beginning to end, our first-time experience was a complete failure. From the noise to the lack of service to the preparation of the food, nothing turned out for us. We are typically generous tippers and we left without leaving any gratuity, we were so put off and disappointed. The best part of our experience was the complimentary valet service. The guys were great and they got our tip. We would never recommend this place or return.
- ReliableRalphVIPDined on 8/29/2014Very good fare from a not so expansive menu. Mussels appetizer quite good. Valet parking in an area where parking can be somewhat difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seasonal MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014Pop's always has new items popping up on the menu as the seasons change. This past visit was a wonderful pork tenderloin dish that was out of this world. We always enjoy a nice evening out at Pop's with friends.Special Features:
- Awful serviceCHfoodieVIPDined on 8/25/2014We told the waiter we were celebrating two birthdays that night in a party of 4. They then delivered 2 wrong meals--to the birthday boys. Immediately took them away and left the other two of us watching our food get cold for 20 min. Had to ask for bread. They didn't refill the olive oil even though place was uncrowded this weekday night. No adjustment on bill or free appetizer or dessert. Never going there again. Awful celebration.
- Outstanding!Dr411Dined on 8/21/2014Farm to table Italian. The fresh ingredients make the meal unforgettable. Unfortunately, the fresh okra will be out of season soon so unless you hurry you cannot get the fried okra Gorgonzola and tomato salad. Also with the Granny Smith and brie pizza is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice vibe with decent foodFoodfinderVIPDined on 8/18/2014Nice spot for a casual dinner. They offer some interesting combinations of flat bread pizza which I enjoyed. Skip the more sophisticated entrees, such as the fish offerings. Service was personable and efficient, atmosphere felt very current, good upbeat energy without overwhelming noise. We will go back.Special Features:
- Never AgainAH151VIPDined on 8/17/2014Over priced for the little you get. Slow service and you would expect the place to be prepared given an event at DPAC and a Baseball game in the area on the same night, which happens often so shouldn't have been a big surprise for them. The bar area is a mess of random bottles scattered across the back counter top.
- Always goodluluDined on 8/15/2014One of my favorite spots. Food is fresh, excellently prepared to your request, flavorful and wonderful. Service excellent and atmosphere very comfortable and enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great experincejazzykatDined on 8/9/2014Everything we ordered was wonderful and the staff was very friendly and helpful. It is a little noisy though and the tables are very close together making it difficult to tune out the conversations of those around you.Special Features:
- virgin visitorickspickDined on 8/9/2014First time, and quite taken by surprise with the overall quality. From atmosphere to concierge , to table, to waiter, to drink, to food, it was a great experience and evening.Special Features:
- Great Service, Great FoodJoanneDined on 8/9/2014We had a show to catch at DPAC and our waitress was VERY accommodating. The specials were delicious. The atmosphere is very nice. I always get a good meal at Pop's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PatioDanfromRalDined on 8/2/2014We have only been inside in Pop's once. The interior is OK, but they fall into the pit of having tables lined up against a wall, where half of the people sitting get to look at the person they are dining with, and a wall. It can also be pretty noisy when it gets busy. Seems like there should be a better option, and there is, but its not inside. We only go to Pops when the weather is good enough to eat on the patio. The back patio is an open quite and very pretty area. The only issue is it is very narrow, so it doesn't work for iffy weather. But when its nice out, the patio at Pops is the place to be. It would be really nice if they would add a canvas awning or something to make it available in poor weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not one of downtown's bestritamorenoDined on 8/2/2014Pop's used to be a nice restaurant experience in its old location with its old menu...now it is just a small step above a pizza place...the food is unexceptional - if you happen to be in the neighborhood it is fine...but I wouldn't go there as a restaurant of choice.
- Good food, lousy serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014I'm a long time Pop's patron, and usually dine in the bar area where service is usually great. However, on this occasion with a large party, we were sat in the dining room, where our waiter seemed to feel that every request was an imposition. I ordered the vegetarian lasagna, which is consistently excellent, but I was given the meat lasagna and had to wait for an additional 30 mins for the waiter to finally return with the correct dish. He gave no apology and acted as if it was my fault. Lesson learned. Stay in the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service, atmospherepgallVIPDined on 7/18/2014Great pasta dinner before a show at DPAC. Service was impeccable and charming. Great atmosphere. Want to go back and sit at the bar - that looked like fun.I would recommend this to a friend.
- NightoutVIPDined on 7/12/2014Excellent as always. Delicious daily special. One of our favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Treat, As Always!mrsmncDined on 7/12/2014Wonderful dinner last Saturday night. No problem getting a reservation 10 days ahead. Food was delicious - as always. We ordered a variety of dishes, starting with the best Caesar Salad around and chilled Cantaloupe Soup. Dinner included Chicken Cooked Under a Brick (including a side dish substitution with no issue), Pesto Ravioli, Fettuccine with Clams & Shrimp and Baked Penne with Sausage & Mushrooms. Everyone loved their entrees. One thing was off - the Pesto Ravioli portion was oddly small for Pop's. I've ordered ravioli there many times and often taken some home but this time it was an appetizer portion at best. Too bad because it was just wonderful! The restaurant was, as usual, lively and friendly. Overall, a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceRaleighgirlDined on 7/10/2014I hate to say it, but Pops has poor service. We've been multiple times and always say "well maybe our server is having a bad day?" But after consistently bad service, we can no longer make excuses for them. Pops is very slow and the server will often neglect you for a long period of time (30 mins while you are out of water). Anytime we substitute a side, it comes out wrong and we have to kindly send the dish back and wait 15 mins. Our waiter didn't come by the table after our food was delivered by the kitchen, so we had to ask another server to help us by correcting the order, filling our glasses, and bringing more bread. Our server still did not come by till we had finished eating, and did not apologize.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice findfood4lifeDined on 7/5/2014After looking for multiple places near the Performing Arts Center, we made this choice that fit our search. What a great find! Menu was very appealing, food was delicious, service was excellent, dining experience was very satisfying and pleasurable. I am happy to spread the word among the ADF community. Price range was on the up-scale side, but all in all a wonderful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner out!JaychDined on 6/27/2014My wife and I finally got a night out without our son and had a great dinner at Pop's. The food was exceptional and the wine was great. We had a new server who did her best and really provided pretty good service. I have been to Pop's three times now and absolutely enjoyed it every time. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Great foodNenotimeDined on 6/22/2014The food was excellent! Excellent atmosphere. The hostess tried to put us in a crummy seat - there were very few people in the restaurant. I was upset and ready to leave. Then I saw her seat another couple in a crummy space they asked to move to a comfortable table. I understand if the restaurant is full and you are squeezing guests to be seated. When the restaurant isn't half full - why would you do this? She placed us and the other couple, In very undesirable tables, barely enough space to put plates, silverware, much less a glass and certainly not food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014None ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CouzdineDined on 6/16/2014We always choose Pop's for our out-of-town guests. The food and service is always great. Great Durham welcome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impress with the ChefluckyDined on 6/15/2014we has a special offer for fathers day and the Chef cooked whatever he wished and it was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was oknywoe12Dined on 6/13/2014The food was pretty good, it it was all rather oily (varied antipasto tray and pepperoni pizza) and the mussels were "squishier" that I'd like. I might be back, but it's not one of my top spots in downtown Durham. I also wish the dipping oil were flavoured with some vinegar and herbs.
- rip offjusttryingVIPDined on 6/7/20142 martinis = $21! Bar did not have Beefeaters. Bar did not have any high level gin. Ordered Tanqueray because Seagrams was the well brand.Special Features:
- Dinner was GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014My wife and I went to Pop's when we had to be in Durham on a Friday evening, and though I had not been to the new location or the old for a long time, I was not disappointed. I had the bowl of mussels, they were awesome, you will need extra bread to sop up the tomato garlic broth. For dinner I had the scallop risotto and that was great too.Special Features:
- The following 97 reviews are from the Pop's Durham reviews archive.
- Spring51Dined on 6/3/2014Took a group of women from various states, in town for a work-meeting, to Pop's Durham -- they all loved it, thought the food & service was wonderful! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomecoachmoranDined on 6/2/2014My wife just got back from a long train ride and this is just what we needed. A relaxing atmosphere and a very attentive bartender. We'll be back!!!Special Features:
- Service was greatnewtodurhamDined on 5/31/2014Our server was fantastic. She had been there for years and knew her stuff. When we needed something and she wasn't around, another waiter was pleased to help us and rushed us what we requested. I really enjoyed pops. The food was a bargain for how delicious it was, and I don't say that lightly. I'll be going back, for sure!Special Features:
- no ambiance, disappointing foodDisappointingDined on 5/31/2014Do not plan to return. Pizza and Mussels not as good as Caraba's.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014Kelly was our server. He was appropriately attentive and responded to our questions knowledgeably. Kelly was also quite personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.