622 Broadway East
Seattle, WA 98102Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poppyseattle.com/
- Phone: 2063241108x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jerry Traunfeld
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Roy
- Public Transit: Poppy is on Broadway along the main metro bus route (49) between downtown and the University District. There are two stops within a block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a pay lot with restaurant access directly behind Poppy. Rates are $5 for 2 hours and $9 for 3. Street parking, metered and non-metered, is available in the area.
A word from Poppy
In a warm, modern dining room overlooking the lively streetscape of North Capitol Hill, Poppy presents James Beard award winning Chef Jerry Traunfeld’s style of Northwest cooking. Inspired by the thali, a tray of many small dishes served all at once to each guest, Poppy's menu highlights the best of local seasonal ingredients, spices, and fresh herbs from its own back garden, and includes many options for vegetarians. Poppy is an excellent venue for your group dining needs, please call or email for details.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
Poppy reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (165)neighborhood gem (100)special occasion (80)good for groups (43)romantic (31)hot spot (30)great for outdoor dining (23)notable wine list (21)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (12)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- You should go here!SDSeattleDined on 10/20/2014We have been wanting to try Poppy for some time and were happy to see they are participating in Restaurant Week. We were not disappointed. The food was unbelievably good. portions were perfect. All the staff were friendly. They even brought us complimentary champagne since we were celebrating an anniversary. We will be back and we will bring friends!Special Features:
- We'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2014This was the first night of Restaurant Week. A large party was slow to leave so our table wasn't ready for a few minutes. We were seated quickly as they left. The menu for Restaurant Week was quite broad, with 10 or 12 starter choices and 4 Thali selections for the entree. Each Thali consisted of a main and naan, surrounded by 6 small dishes of interestingly spiced sides and a soup. I had the Lavender Duck Leg and it was delicious. My husband had the Goat Cheese Flan which he enjoyed as well. His little soup was pumpkin and mine was roasted pepper. For our third course we chose from about 8 delicious sounding desserts. The Thali makes alot of sense because you get to taste many different flavors in small bites. Service was joyful.Special Features:
- Our favorite Seattle eateryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Driving in from Bellingham is special enough for us that we're very choosey about where we eat. Poppy has become a favorite. We always know we will never leave disappointed or underfed. The wait staff is a delight, and the kitchen creates some of the best offerings in town. We just returned from a trip to Provence and have to say that, although we sought out the best of Provence, Poppy's bests them all. If only the prices of wine in the U S were on a par with the prices in France, we would be even happier foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food and servicetomozoDined on 10/17/2014Eggplant fry is must!! You will be surprised. Pumpkin chestnut crepes was great too. Tiny soup and assortment of veggies are delicate and delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite experienceradonjicDined on 10/16/2014Best tecquila cocktail I've ever had. Perfect tapas-style as well as a gourmet taste sensation dining experience. Everything was perfectly delicious - serving a wide variation in pallet at the table. Lovely ambiance, fantastic service. I couldn't be happier with the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ehClarkDined on 10/13/2014Food was alright, but not what I would call amazing. We actually didn't bother eating all of it because some of it wasn't worth consuming. I expected more from this place given reviews. They are going to have to do some soul searching if they want to keep the foodie crowd interested.
- happycamperDined on 10/12/2014Great food and service. Always interesting menu. Would recommend for a great evening.Special Features:
- Poppy before a concertJazzoidDined on 10/12/2014This was only the third time we've been there. The first was soon after they opened and a bit of a disappointment. Flavors were all over the block and didn't complement each other. This time each main, one a duck leg the other vegetarian, came with small sides, condiments really, that complemented the main choice. The soups and pickley things were especially good. For me the wine choices were good but priced dearly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Wine priced per glass is way over the top too pricey.
- Indian fusion and FUN!ZenScottDined on 10/11/2014Poppy was great, the food was very unique and the energy was awesome! I would highly recommend anything on the menu. A friend had the lavender duck and couldn't stop talking about it. I had the wagyu beef and just WOW! The staff was super friendly and playful. Please do yourself a favor and go. Dinner for four ( with cocktails :D ) was about $200.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerdaveytiaDined on 10/10/2014We had the salmon and steak and both were fantastic. The egg plant fries just melt in your mouth, so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite placeOrcasdinerDined on 10/6/2014Poppy is my favorite Seattle restaurant. The service is always outstanding. The menu has some great regular offerings and always changing offerings that are interesting, creative, and delicious!!! We come from Orcas Island to dine here and it is worth the trip. Katie is a skillful and delightful hostess.Special Features:
- A flavor experience!EJdineDined on 10/4/2014We Were quite happy to find Poppy! Never have I been on such a ride of flavors! I'm still thinking of their succulent lavender crusted duck, its accompaniments and the amazing homemade ice cream. Definitely fit for foodies! I can't wait to go back and see what the next menu entails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2014I was really disappointed with Poppy this time. The service was absolutely terrible. Our table was not ready and we had to wait in the bar for about 20 minutes. Once we had ordered our food, it took absolutely ages to come out. My friend's steak was raw - not rare, raw. They had to bring the naan bread separately because it wasn't ready at the same time as the rest of the food. The first time I went to Poppy, it was amazing. This time it was a real let down.
- A delightful surpriseMackieMesserDined on 10/1/2014Poppy takes a different approach to dining out; entire multi-course meals are presented. While initially dubious, the pairings are spot on. Everything compliments everything else on the plate. The experience would have been diminished had I not succumbed to the superior palate of the chef. This is one of those times you must relinquish control and trust. You will be well rewarded.Special Features:
- Incredible menu and service!CathyDined on 9/28/2014What a treat to your senses! Every bite was different, flavorful and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebration!GreenwaysDined on 9/20/2014Perfect table for 8 and a celebration for a 21st birthday. Thank you Poppy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Great for small eaters and vegetarians. Interesting cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!Eat2liveDined on 9/20/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our meal! Everything from the steak to the eggplant fries were delicious. We look forward to the next time.Special Features:
- Losing its touchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We have been to Poppy many times but on 9/20/14 three of us went there and honestly the only thing we had that was good were the eggplant fries. The wagu beef was tough and chewy and the side dishes were uninspired and tasted bad. Worry that Jerry T is losing control of the quality at Poppy.
- Every bite a treatTopChefFanDined on 9/19/2014I have been to poppy several times and always enjoyed it. This visit, both I and my dinner partner felt the whole meal was truly spectacular. We had the flan, fig bruschetta, salmon thal and chocolate tart dessert. Every bite was a real treat. Thanks to the Poppy chef and staff for a terrific evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not great.luchtmDined on 9/18/2014I've always liked thali style and it was a great mixture of flavors... My only complaint about the food was that the duck leg was a bit salty for being in a huckleberry sauce... The main reason I would say this place is only "good" is that the service wasn't up-to-pare. Our waiter didn't seem very interested in serving at all. I asked if they had Dewars, and first he said no but then looked at the bar from our table and said, "Oh, yeah... I guess we do. I see it on the shelf."... He didn't seem to know a lot about the menu as well. Runners brought our food and checked on us. We didn't see the waiter again until the bill, which he picked up while we were still finishing. Certainly felt like we were being handed our hat... Disappointed.Special Features:
- Great pre movie at the Harvard ExitlesleyDined on 9/15/2014My friend and I popped into Poppy for a bite before going to see a movie at the Harvard Exit. Sat outside and had a spectacular mix of appetizers and drinks. Love the fried mussels and veg tarte...Special Features:
- yelikakYelikakDined on 9/14/2014We enjoyed Poppy very much. The food was unique and delicious. Flavors incredible. I highly recommend this cool place. Atmosphere was inviting.Special Features:
- Poppy - Great food but loudKevinDined on 9/13/2014Went to Poppy for my wife's bday and to celebrate friend's anniversary. Really had no idea what to expect except that we had heard the food was great. And that it was. We tried several appetizers and each ordered a different main course. None disappointed. The only downsides to the whole night were the cafeteria-style décor and noise. It was very noisy and difficult to have a conversation. Table and chairs were fit for a local high school cafeteria. Oh well, food and service were great. Would definitely go back but more as a casual date night or meet up with friends.Special Features:
- Delicious...KevinDined on 9/13/2014Food was excellent. The choices for full meals are limited to about four Thalis, but they are all fabulous. The staff knows the food very well, and the drinks are great too. Not a cheap place, but worth it.Special Features:
- GreatDdbbDined on 9/11/2014I had bought gift certificates for friends but had never been myself. The food was wonderful as was the service. I look forward to going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoppyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014This was our second visit to Poppy. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The only suggestion we would have for the managers would be to improve on the coffee. We ordered a French Press decaf coffee which was more than a little on the weak side. Perhaps there was a measuring error. Other than that, we had no complaints and would very happily return for another meal. There is a downside with respect to parking in the area which. of course, has nothing to do with the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Seattle DiningEastsider4lifeDined on 9/10/2014Different, phenomenal food, fun cocktails, yummy treats, great wine menu and priced right. It is hard to go to other restaurants after going to Poppy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poppy is one of our favoritesTridentDined on 9/6/2014Every time we go back to Poppy we wonder why we have not been back for a while. Always great food.Special Features:
- great and differentLynnebradDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful food. Different than any other place web have been. Attentive serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- johnc5215VIPDined on 9/6/2014We've been to Poppy several times now. As always the food is the best reason for coming, but also the very helpful and knowledgeable wait staff. They provide just the right level of attentiveness without being intrusive or hyper-friendly. The list of Washington wines is not huge but gives one the feeling of careful selection and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodhavingfun2Dined on 9/6/2014We had king salmon dishes that were outstanding. Numerous small sides were an eclectic (e.g., fingerling potatoes with lavender), but fantastic combination that were delicious on their own and brought out the flavor of the salmon. I also had an heirloom salad (Billy's tomato salad) that was delicious with a unique dressing (non-overpowering bacon flavor) and cucumber sorbet. Service was attentive. Only point of feedback was that it took quite a while to get our entrees (~45 min) at a time when there were only a few other customers in the restaurant. Overall, great experience and would recommend.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!!!DanthemanDined on 8/31/2014This place never fails to wow us. The food is always great with very interesting flavor combinations. The portions are just right and the poppy naan ties it all together. Your taste buds will thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerDined on 8/30/2014Poppy has never disappointed me. This is the third time I have dined here and this time for a special birthday dinner. The food is over-the-top delicious without being pretentious and uptight. I have never had such great service anywhere as this restaurant. Informative, polite, discreet and attentive. This was an outstanding dinner from start to finish.Special Features:
- The food here was awesome!justmarriedDined on 8/29/2014Poppy was put on my radar as I watched old episodes of Top Chef Master, and Jerry, the owner, was one of the featured chefs. The judges all agreed that his food was excellent. As I live in Seattle I looked up his restaurant. My husband ordered a duck thali; I ordered a beef thali. We both enjoyed the food very much. I was as proud of the food as if I had cooked it myself because my husband was so pleased with it and I scored points for finding the place. He picked the bone clean! He never eats dessert, but they looked interesting so we ordered a desert thali. Usually, he'll only try a bite, but he found these irresistible. Bar raised! We liked it so much, we bought a gift card to give to my daughter for her 21st birthday! Well done, Jerry!Special Features:
- So many flavorspickypickyDined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed our meal a great deal. I do think however that some of the side dishes were not harmoniously seasoned, and that the bitter elements of the herbs were overly emphatic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!SistaDined on 8/29/2014Had a great dinner at poppy, tried the duck Thalis and it was great. The cocktails were innovative and really good! Thought it was a little pricey though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014Your tastes buds will be inspired! Dinner was delicious and prompt. Service was attentive but not overwhelming. Dessert was worth every spoonful.Special Features:
- Poppy is special....ToddDined on 8/28/2014Poppy is our favorite restaurant in Seattle. We always go there on special occasions. Please try Poppy if you haven't. You will not he disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.