622 Broadway East
Seattle, WA 98102Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poppyseattle.com/
- Phone: 2063241108x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jerry Traunfeld
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Roy
- Public Transit: Poppy is on Broadway along the main metro bus route (49) between downtown and the University District. There are two stops within a block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a pay lot with restaurant access directly behind Poppy. Rates are $5 for 2 hours and $9 for 3. Street parking, metered and non-metered, is available in the area.
A word from Poppy
In a warm, modern dining room overlooking the lively streetscape of North Capitol Hill, Poppy presents James Beard award winning Chef Jerry Traunfeld’s style of Northwest cooking. Inspired by the thali, a tray of many small dishes served all at once to each guest, Poppy's menu highlights the best of local seasonal ingredients, spices, and fresh herbs from its own back garden, and includes many options for vegetarians. Poppy is an excellent venue for your group dining needs, please call or email for details.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
Poppy reviews from OpenTable diners
223 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (196)neighborhood gem (115)special occasion (95)good for groups (57)hot spot (44)romantic (38)notable wine list (30)great for outdoor dining (21)vibrant bar scene (21)late-night find (15)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Simply Awesome!JdangeloDined on 10/28/2014What a unique and wonderful dining experience! Delicious, great service and a place we'll return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dining experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2014A wonderful place to dine with friends. The menu has enough variation to meet the palate demands of everyone. The blending of spices is an exquisite culinary delight. Serving sizes were very good. Everyone at our table felt it was the right amount of food. The quality of the food and service was not at all diminished by the noise level found in many restaurants today. We could have a normal conversation about the food and the surroundings without having to shout to be heard. All-in-all, it was a great dining experience that I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Memorable DinnerPerfectionDined on 10/27/2014Three years ago three of us ate at Poppy, and three years later we chose Poppy again because the memory of that meal at Poppy stayed with each of us the past three years. And it was as good as ever. It was restaurant week, so included a three course meal with a thali, an appetizer and a dessert, for what normally just the thali would cost. We had a dinner that was totally satisfying and will not be forgotten. If you have not been to Poppy yet, do not hesitate, go!Special Features:
- InterstingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/27/2014Seattle Restaurant week was a good opportunity to try this place as we sought a dining experience that was different than food we've had before. Eclectic dining with interesting combinations. Enjoyed the little bits of soups, salads and sides that compliment each featured main. The lamb osso bucco was tender and delicious albeit just a tiny bit salty. Hostess could work on being more welcoming.Special Features:
- Always interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014I've been to Poppy twice, both times during restaurant week. I enjoy being able to sample a few bites of many dishes. On the most recent visit, the soups were the least enjoyable, but there were plenty of tasty vegetable and grain dishes. The chocolate torte I had for dessert was average, but the smoked pineapple and peanut chili ice cream that came with it were superb. I wish they sold the ice cream by the pint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just wonderfulFoodie34Dined on 10/26/2014We were there for Seattle restaurant week and loved every minute of it. Great food, great service. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cap Hill FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014I was very excited to dine at Poppy and they did not disappoint. The salmon and steak were both cooked perfectly and the flavors were all very interesting and different. Love the tiny little portions of a bunch of different dishes.Special Features:
- Great evening outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Poppy is a hip Capitol Hill restaurant. Dress is casual, it's not a quiet romantic place but the ambiance is relaxing with warm lighting and candlelight. We were a party of 6 and we had a nice table near the middle of the restaurant. Between us I think we ordered all the Talis on the menu. Our food arrived hot and all at once and the waitress kindly explained what was on each of our trays. We all loved our meals and service was good. The Wagyu steak was 'melt in your mouth' delicious and I heard the salmon was equally great. Don't miss out on dessert, the options are really creative. I shared hot date cake with butterscotch, pecans and banana ice cream. Yum!Special Features:
- Good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The variety of food you get with the Thalis is great- however, most of the things were good, not great. That said, I'm really happy we tried Poppy. Though I wouldn't suggest to go back on my own, I wouldn't be opposed if friends were meeting up there.Special Features:
- Nice restaurantwoorbDined on 10/25/2014We enjoyed our time here. Appetizers were delicious. When our entrees (thalis) took longer than usual, the kitchen brought us a small tart for the wait. Loved the main dish and everything was cooked perfectly but the seasonings for the side dishes were not what we're used to. They were very aromatic/herby so we couldn't eat much of it. However, if those flavors are what you like, then this is the perfect place for you.Special Features:
- I want to eat here tonight!Jamielee3VIPDined on 10/24/2014Visiting Seattle for my birthday and picked this place to go for "the day". Great decision. I loved this place and would go back tonight if I weren't back in Los Angeles. Can't say enough about the great staff and the great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Based on Restaurant WeekILoveFoodDined on 10/23/2014Poppy is the one restaurant that I look forward to, for Seattle Rest Week. Every dish on the menu is delicious and I'm always leaving full (good portions!). The one negative takeaway, was that it felt like they were not prepared for the amount of reservations/people. I'm sure it was due to the fact that it was Restaurant week, but I don't recall this being an issue the last few years we dined at Poppy. For example, our reservations were made for 7:30p, we were given a 10 minute wait time, but wasn't actually seated until about 8-815p. We were at our table for about 15 minutes before our waitress acknowledged that we had sat down, etc. Overall, it was a still a great experience - we left happy and full, and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Poppy pops!BiztravelfoodieVIPDined on 10/23/2014Took advantage of Restaurant week to try Poppy. Boy..glad we did! Beginning with creative cocktail menu with interesting fresh ingredient combinations to myriad of tastes served with main course Poppy's kitchen wowed. Kudos to Kitchen because they used restaurant week to highlight what they're all about vs. trying to scrap together something cheap but edible for the "masses" showing up for $30 3 course. Definitely will be back. Server was fun and informative, timing perfect and great experience. Best meal of the week!Special Features:
- best meal all yearDiscriminatingDinerVIPDined on 10/23/2014Took advantage of Seattle Restaurant week offerings - Lamb Osso Bucco. Best meal I've had all year (including trip to France)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Poppy experience!YumsCapHillDined on 10/22/2014I've been dying to try Poppy since I moved to Capitol Hill 4 months ago. Poppy did not disappoint. The server was super into the food and our dining experience, the menu was creative and delicious with Indian, local, American and a handful of other influences. The cocktail list looked killer. The food was delicious - an albacore salad with grapefruit and fennel to start, the osso bucco served with a dozen sides and naan (including a celery soup, beet-fennel salad, a tiny slaw, etc) as the main, and a hot date cake with salted pecans and banana ice cream. Yums!Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantPalateDined on 10/22/2014Poppy is a taste bud party, with great food, service, and a warm inviting atmosphere. A must try for any foodies out there!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!hungryinSeattleDined on 10/21/2014Poppy is our family's choice for a special night out, and our most recent trip was all-around delicious, as expected. There are always interesting new flavor combinations, and we love having a lot of little tastes of things. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Seattle's bestGiselleVIPDined on 10/21/2014Delicious food and cocktails, innovative menu, spacious dining room with high ceiling and lots of windows. I love this restaurant!Special Features:
- Give it a trySatisfiedDined on 10/21/2014Really enjoyed the unusual combinations of foods. The hot date cake is superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/21/2014I visited Poppy for Seattle Restaurant Week and was so happy with the service, location and most of all--the delicious food! I would absolutely come back.Special Features:
- Poppy = Yum!AcesDined on 10/20/2014Really enjoyed my Poppy dining experience. The interior is clean and light, furnished with natural woods and pops of color; modern paired down style that's a bit Scandinavian meets Japanese design. The food was visually appetizing and tasted delicious. We ordered from a prix fixe menu (Seattle Restaurant Week) with a solid assortment of options, for vegetarians and omnivores. The cocktails were just right. The mussels were fantastic. The osso buco was good, but not at flavorful as the duck. Dessert was a miss for me, but not my dinner mate. I had the chocolate torte(?) which was more like a cold hard piece of fudge, but he got the hot date cake–delicious. Server was good for most of it, but spacey at the end, the hostess was stern.Special Features:
- Incredible foodTeeRaceDined on 10/20/2014I had the opportunity to sample a number of items, and they were all incredible. The Lamb Osso Bucco was the best lamb I have ever had.Special Features:
- pleasure for the senseseradDined on 10/20/2014During a visit to Seattle I was able to once again visit Poppy for dinner. This week happened to fall during Restaurant week in Seattle. As expected our meal was beautifully presented and delicious. I always look forward to having the opportunity to dine where amazing thought goes into preparation and presentation of a meal. Will continue to look forward to returning on later visits to the Seattle area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummmOutToLunchDined on 10/20/2014The food was fun and delicious, served in Thali's. Lots of great herb combinations to tantalize the tastebuds. Fun drinks. Loved their icecream and the hot date cake- whic was warm, rich and lovely. Service was great our waiter was knowdgeable, pleasant and attentive--glasses remained full all night.Special Features:
- You should go here!SDSeattleDined on 10/20/2014We have been wanting to try Poppy for some time and were happy to see they are participating in Restaurant Week. We were not disappointed. The food was unbelievably good. portions were perfect. All the staff were friendly. They even brought us complimentary champagne since we were celebrating an anniversary. We will be back and we will bring friends!Special Features:
- We'll be backCookieDined on 10/19/2014This was the first night of Restaurant Week. A large party was slow to leave so our table wasn't ready for a few minutes. We were seated quickly as they left. The menu for Restaurant Week was quite broad, with 10 or 12 starter choices and 4 Thali selections for the entree. Each Thali consisted of a main and naan, surrounded by 6 small dishes of interestingly spiced sides and a soup. I had the Lavender Duck Leg and it was delicious. My husband had the Goat Cheese Flan which he enjoyed as well. His little soup was pumpkin and mine was roasted pepper. For our third course we chose from about 8 delicious sounding desserts. The Thali makes alot of sense because you get to taste many different flavors in small bites. Service was joyful.Special Features:
- Enjoyable FinddimoskDined on 10/19/2014First time discovery, found the staff to be extremely gracious and helpful. Food was plentiful and tasty. Indian dishes were very good and desserts well worth sharing on a date.Special Features:
- Our favorite Seattle eateryBellinghamsterFoodiesDined on 10/18/2014Driving in from Bellingham is special enough for us that we're very choosey about where we eat. Poppy has become a favorite. We always know we will never leave disappointed or underfed. The wait staff is a delight, and the kitchen creates some of the best offerings in town. We just returned from a trip to Provence and have to say that, although we sought out the best of Provence, Poppy's bests them all. If only the prices of wine in the U S were on a par with the prices in France, we would be even happier foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food and servicetomozoDined on 10/17/2014Eggplant fry is must!! You will be surprised. Pumpkin chestnut crepes was great too. Tiny soup and assortment of veggies are delicate and delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite experienceradonjicDined on 10/16/2014Best tecquila cocktail I've ever had. Perfect tapas-style as well as a gourmet taste sensation dining experience. Everything was perfectly delicious - serving a wide variation in pallet at the table. Lovely ambiance, fantastic service. I couldn't be happier with the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ehClarkDined on 10/13/2014Food was alright, but not what I would call amazing. We actually didn't bother eating all of it because some of it wasn't worth consuming. I expected more from this place given reviews. They are going to have to do some soul searching if they want to keep the foodie crowd interested.
- happycamperDined on 10/12/2014Great food and service. Always interesting menu. Would recommend for a great evening.Special Features:
- Poppy before a concertJazzoidDined on 10/12/2014This was only the third time we've been there. The first was soon after they opened and a bit of a disappointment. Flavors were all over the block and didn't complement each other. This time each main, one a duck leg the other vegetarian, came with small sides, condiments really, that complemented the main choice. The soups and pickley things were especially good. For me the wine choices were good but priced dearly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Wine priced per glass is way over the top too pricey.
- Indian fusion and FUN!ZenScottDined on 10/11/2014Poppy was great, the food was very unique and the energy was awesome! I would highly recommend anything on the menu. A friend had the lavender duck and couldn't stop talking about it. I had the wagyu beef and just WOW! The staff was super friendly and playful. Please do yourself a favor and go. Dinner for four ( with cocktails :D ) was about $200.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerdaveytiaDined on 10/10/2014We had the salmon and steak and both were fantastic. The egg plant fries just melt in your mouth, so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not that good for melilyyyDined on 10/10/2014I didn't quite understand why food rate is so high. Maybe I expected too much but... duck leg was too salty. Steak was fair. I wouldn't say food was bad, but it just didn't fit my taste. Bitter and tastes like too vegetable-ish. Great atmosphere and service though.
- Favorite placeOrcasdinerDined on 10/6/2014Poppy is my favorite Seattle restaurant. The service is always outstanding. The menu has some great regular offerings and always changing offerings that are interesting, creative, and delicious!!! We come from Orcas Island to dine here and it is worth the trip. Katie is a skillful and delightful hostess.Special Features:
- A flavor experience!EJdineDined on 10/4/2014We Were quite happy to find Poppy! Never have I been on such a ride of flavors! I'm still thinking of their succulent lavender crusted duck, its accompaniments and the amazing homemade ice cream. Definitely fit for foodies! I can't wait to go back and see what the next menu entails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2014I was really disappointed with Poppy this time. The service was absolutely terrible. Our table was not ready and we had to wait in the bar for about 20 minutes. Once we had ordered our food, it took absolutely ages to come out. My friend's steak was raw - not rare, raw. They had to bring the naan bread separately because it wasn't ready at the same time as the rest of the food. The first time I went to Poppy, it was amazing. This time it was a real let down.