622 Broadway East
Seattle, WA 98102Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poppyseattle.com/
- Phone: 2063241108x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jerry Traunfeld
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Roy
- Public Transit: Poppy is on Broadway along the main metro bus route (49) between downtown and the University District. There are two stops within a block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a pay lot with restaurant access directly behind Poppy. Rates are $5 for 2 hours and $9 for 3. Street parking, metered and non-metered, is available in the area.
A word from Poppy
In a warm, modern dining room overlooking the lively streetscape of North Capitol Hill, Poppy presents James Beard award winning Chef Jerry Traunfeld’s style of Northwest cooking. Inspired by the thali, a tray of many small dishes served all at once to each guest, Poppy's menu highlights the best of local seasonal ingredients, spices, and fresh herbs from its own back garden, and includes many options for vegetarians. Poppy is an excellent venue for your group dining needs, please call or email for details.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Poppy reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (162)neighborhood gem (97)special occasion (92)romantic (44)good for groups (39)hot spot (38)great for outdoor dining (26)vibrant bar scene (20)notable wine list (19)late-night find (16)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- The food here was awesome!justmarriedDined on 8/29/2014Poppy was put on my radar as I watched old episodes of Top Chef Master, and Jerry, the owner, was one of the featured chefs. The judges all agreed that his food was excellent. As I live in Seattle I looked up his restaurant. My husband ordered a duck thali; I ordered a beef thali. We both enjoyed the food very much. I was as proud of the food as if I had cooked it myself because my husband was so pleased with it and I scored points for finding the place. He picked the bone clean! He never eats dessert, but they looked interesting so we ordered a desert thali. Usually, he'll only try a bite, but he found these irresistible. Bar raised! We liked it so much, we bought a gift card to give to my daughter for her 21st birthday! Well done, Jerry!Special Features:
- So many flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed our meal a great deal. I do think however that some of the side dishes were not harmoniously seasoned, and that the bitter elements of the herbs were overly emphatic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Had a great dinner at poppy, tried the duck Thalis and it was great. The cocktails were innovative and really good! Thought it was a little pricey though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014Your tastes buds will be inspired! Dinner was delicious and prompt. Service was attentive but not overwhelming. Dessert was worth every spoonful.Special Features:
- Poppy is special....ToddDined on 8/28/2014Poppy is our favorite restaurant in Seattle. We always go there on special occasions. Please try Poppy if you haven't. You will not he disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poppy! Beautiful Bites.GiveMeABiteDined on 8/26/2014I just returned from NY, where I gave Collichio & Sons 5 stars! Seattle's Poppy receives a 4 star rating ONLY because I did not try everything on the menu! The eggplant fries almost brought tears. Yes, I was able to cut my steak with a butter knife. Black rice with yams; a nice surprise. I sent my sister pictures and said that on her next visit, we will have to try everything on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sanleesanleeDined on 8/24/2014Poppy always pleases. It is outstanding in combining the most unlikely food into a wonderful whole. I had a soup of tomato and strawberry, it was great. duck perfect. The cooking here never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun birthday!annsliuDined on 8/24/2014I've always wanted to try Poppy's thali sets and finally got a chance to on my birthday. We got to sit in the garden and enjoyed the evening thoroughly. The food was slow to come out-a couple sat and ordered after we did got their food first, which was annoying. The food was perfectly cooked and was so delicate and fun to eat! Will definitely come back!Special Features:
- lalynntayDined on 8/23/2014Creative meals, exceptionally tasty. Unique combination of herbs, particularly the fingerlings with lavender and mint. The salmon was cooked perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent all the waydcheDined on 8/22/2014everything was perfect for a send off meal for our daughter to grad school in Denmark. Great service, great and unique food, noise level quiet enough we didn't have to yell to talk to each other. Fabulour appetizer, talli dishes and dessert. Couldn't have been better. A truly memorable meal. Love the unique flavor combinationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner twice this weekMaodDined on 8/22/2014Had dinner at Poppy twice this week. The food was delicious and the chef designed combinations were very well chosen. Jason our waiter was superlative...even when the computer was down the service was seamless to the patrons. Miaraculous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just lovelynitinmanDined on 8/18/2014I'm a bit of a purist, but the fusion style thalis are really well put together. Each little dish, has a touch of something that makes it really interesting, and delicious. The reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because the food came out tepid, should have been warmer and also a couple of the dishes were a tad too oily. After my previous dining experience at another Indian fusion restuarant, Shanik, this one wins hands down.Special Features:
- My favorite dinner spotSeawestDined on 8/18/2014I love Poppy. I could eat there every day. The food is amazing and the service is impeccable. I highly recommend you to go there if you haven't tried it yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IuliaIuliiaDined on 8/17/2014Amazing combinations of herbs, fruits and meat. Good place to have dinner. Salad with octopus was great :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The absolute BESTsirilinneaVIPDined on 8/14/2014We adore Poppy. We celebrated my birthday here last week. Everything was absolutely flawless. The food is incredible. I had the Salmon Thali and hubs had the Chicken Tandori. We also had the heirloom tomato salad and the dessert thali to end the evening. Everything is so good. I cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste upon tastesaintnickVIPDined on 8/14/2014A fantastic mélange of dishes and flavors. Every morsel we tried was amazing. Order an appetizer and a thali combination, sit back and prepare for a meal of pure indulgence! We started with the incredible eggplant fries with seasalt and honey and almost fell out of our chairs with delight at our first nibbles. Our thalis included slow-roasted Washington king salmon with summer herb sauce, chilled corn and lemon thyme soup, blackberry thyme pickle, turnips with miso butter and chives, nigella-poppy naan and so much more--sublime bite after sublime bite. I can quote the exact items because we insisted on taking a menu home to show to friends! If we lived closer to Seattle we'd be over at Poppy on a very regular basis. What a meal!Special Features:
- Great Food - sort of like tapasBobJDined on 8/13/2014The menu was a bit daunting because I couldn't imagine what a lot of the dishes would look or taste like. Fantastic food! Every little dish was a well-paired combination of flavors and textures. It was light Christmas morning opening up each new item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodTWP2Dined on 8/13/2014I tend to never order chicken but the waiter said it was the best chicken he ever had. I decided to go with his suggestion and was very, very impressed. Delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poppy birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014We were celebrating my wife's birthday and I had requested for a candle lit cake to be brought towards the end. I left these instructions on both open table as well as called the restaurant. However, when the dessert came, they had completely forgotten about that. Other than that the food was excellent as always. Will definitely recommend this place for dinner; just hope their staff can follow through with such requests in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tastesseattlefunteacherDined on 8/9/2014Loved this experience. You are not eating here to get full but to experience complex tastes and expose yourself to enlightened dishes. Loved the sides more than the main and we had duck and salmon. Killer strawberry cake marshmallows. Was thinking about them all week.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014I LOVED this restaurant! From the hostess, to the service, to the unbelievable food, this restaurant did not disappoint. I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/6/2014Delicious, inventive food, interesting cocktails, and great service!Special Features:
- backagainDined on 8/5/2014The food was truly out of this world, really exceptional. Ambience and service was very pleasant. I will go back more often - myself and my clients-friends we just loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CreativityTimInSeattleDined on 8/3/2014I think that Poppy shines as a example of creative culinary invention. The menu here includes taste combinations that I bet you've never experienced before, and the food is superb. Service is also very good. The room is nicely laid out with room between tables and a tolerable noise level--you can actually have a conversation there. The dining concept is small plates to be shared with others at your table. Ask you waitperson how much to order, and order more of anything you like or would like to try in a second round. Take the plunge, eat at Poppy's, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014The service is second to none. Order one of their signature craft cocktails; the bar smells amazing because they infuse natural herbs into their drinks. Ambiance is light and airy.Special Features:
- Stylish and tasty!PatrickDined on 8/1/2014Good food, great atmosphere, would go back again! Had the chicken with rice and cucumber. The sides were original and complemented the main dish quite well. The naan was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poppy is utterly fabulous!!!oneillDined on 7/30/2014Everyhting we ordered was perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. This restaurant is divine.Special Features:
- Garden seatingnpd97Dined on 7/26/2014New to Seattle, I picked this restaurant blindly believing reviews. It was better than I even anticipated. Concept is different, and the food was exceptional. We loved it, and hope to bring foodie friends when they come visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and Interesting FoodKateBDined on 7/21/2014Poppy has the most interesting food of any place I've EVER been. It ALL tastes good, too. Each time I go, I wonder HOW do they think of these combinations of flavors?! It's the place we take our friends who really like to cook. This most recent visit included friends who are herbalists. They agreed the food was wonderful. At 1930, the noise level was a little high and it was hard to converse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What varietykirstirDined on 7/19/2014This was the second time my husband and I have dined at Poppy and it was fantastic yet again. There are so many unusual taste/flavor combinations that we simply couldn't get enough. As a party of four, we started w/ the poached oysters (melted in our mouth = to die for) and the crab/hearts of palm salad (delicious but a bit high of a price point for amount of food on plate). We then each chose a different thali and tasted and tried a bit of each part of everyone's. With 6+ items on each thali, we got to try such an amazingly wide variety of items. I recommend for vegetarians, meat eaters, indian food lovers, northwest food junkies, "foodies", gluten intolerants, and so on. We were simply too full for dessert :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner in the secret gardenLifezgoodDined on 7/18/2014The garden is a lovely quiet space just off busy Broadway. The flowers and the herbs are very pretty right now. The food was delicious, very seasonal and fresh. The service was very good.Special Features:
- Holy Yum!MattiVIPDined on 7/13/2014Checked in on Facebook at Poppy only to find friends commenting about how this was one of their favorites. I can't believe they were holding out on me! This was my first visit, but will definitely be back. The food was innovative, but not so innovative that it still has to taste good. Every dish we had left us pleasantly surprised, even when it involved things we didn't think we liked (radishes and turnips, both turned into scrumptious sides - who'd have thought?). Attentive and pleasant service, combined with lovely atmosphere made for a great experience. Wish I lived closer so that we could go more often.Special Features:
- Looking forward to going backRachipooDined on 7/12/2014We had a delicious dinner at Poppy on a recent Saturday night. The food and drinks were unique and interesting. I am still thinking about the ricotta gundi with morels and the basil soda! My only complaint is that the service was very slow. We had an 8:30 pm reservation and were seated promptly but our server wasn't at our table for 20 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/10/2014I dined out in the back patio with my girlfriend, and we were blown away by our experience. Service was great, food was exciting, and the ambiance in the back garden let us enjoy both fully. I would recommend this for anyone looking for a meal that they are comfortable sharing.Special Features:
- Sweet SpotJPGSDined on 7/10/2014Everything about Poppy was top notch; location, food, service, ambiance. We took my wife's sister here for her birthday and were totally impressed. The menu was varied and interesting, the food unique and flavor combinations wonderful.Special Features:
- Absolut surprised!AustrianConnectionDined on 7/6/2014Had a great evening with lots of seafood (fresh oysters, fried mussels and definetly the best octopus salad so far) and excellent wines from the Washington region. The main courses were served in Indien Thali style with 5-7 sides (salad, soup, vegetable etc.). We had the salmon (wow!) and the morels. Everything was absolutely amazing, including service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite restaurantRsb2013Dined on 7/5/2014The thali concept lets you try a lot of different dishes with wonderful flavor combinations. A great place for foodies. Novel and different. Definitely get the eggplant fries! Poppy never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!CassiecatVIPDined on 7/2/2014I always enjoy Poppy. While the main is always good, I think it is the side dishes in the thali where the chef really shines. His ability to turn any vegetable into a gourmet treat seems like magic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service not greatTastyVittlesDined on 6/28/2014The food tasted great. However, our server got our order wrong (we ordered salmon and got vegetarian) and it took them a long time to get the correct dish out to the table. As a result, we were unable to order from their awesome-sounding dessert menu because we had concert tickets after dinner. (Our reservations were for 5:30, and our concert was at Benaroya Hall at 8:00 which should have been plenty of time.)Special Features:
- another great mealjayohhDined on 6/25/2014Amazes me how the food gets better and better here. The desserts too. Something really unique for out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.