622 Broadway East
Seattle, WA 98102Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poppyseattle.com/
- Phone: (206) 324-1108
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jerry Traunfeld
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Roy
- Public Transit: Poppy is on Broadway along the main metro bus route (49) between downtown and the University District. There are two stops within a block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a pay lot with restaurant access directly behind Poppy. Rates are $5 for 2 hours and $9 for 3. Street parking, metered and non-metered, is available in the area.
A word from Poppy
In a warm, modern dining room overlooking the lively streetscape of North Capitol Hill, Poppy presents James Beard award winning Chef Jerry Traunfeld’s style of Northwest cooking. Inspired by the thali, a tray of many small dishes served all at once to each guest, Poppy's menu highlights the best of local seasonal ingredients, spices, and fresh herbs from its own back garden, and includes many options for vegetarians. Poppy is an excellent venue for your group dining needs, please call or email for details.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
Poppy reviews from OpenTable diners
274 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (241)neighborhood gem (142)special occasion (114)good for groups (64)hot spot (59)romantic (52)notable wine list (40)vibrant bar scene (26)great for outdoor dining (16)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Very UniquesuzellaVIPDined on 11/26/2014Everything was expertly prepared and very innovative. I enjoyed the interesting assortment of thalis that came along.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at PoppysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014Our first experience at Poppy was excellent. The service was fantastic. Our waitress explained how the menu worked and checked with us several times to make sure we understood. We thoroughly enjoyed the many tastes and varieties of food in a very relaxed atmosphere. They even brought a birthday candle on my husband's dessert only by my mentioning we were celebrating his birthday when I made the reservation. The only negative was how expensive the house wine was per glass. Two glasses of house wine were more than both of our meals. Otherwise a very enjoyable experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- EssenDined on 11/23/2014Its hard to find a better variety of imaginative, complementary flavors anywhere in Seattle, literally from soup to nuts in a single Thali. It has become our favorite place to take out of town visitors for a uniquelyl Seattle culinary experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals we have eaten in a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Flavors were perfectly balanced and put together in interesting combinations. Every item was consistently good and the server's recommendation for a drink made for an excellent choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poppy Worth More AttentionflavorseekerDined on 11/20/2014One of the best meals we've had in years. Interesting food, perfectly prepared. Excellent service too. The only thing preventing me from checking off "romantic" and "special occasion" is that the decor is very sparse/simple--it's not a "fancy feeling" place. But even with a buzzing restaurant (every table full) and people fairly close to us on either side, we could hear each other with no problem. I think this is also the best Dining Out experience we've had, in terms of value, attitude, options. We would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the trip for the naan alone!madisonvalleygirlDined on 11/19/2014Wasn't certain what to expect after looking at the menu online as it looked to be fusion of all different flavors. I was pleasantly surprised by the amazing food and excellent service! The food and flavors are unique and I give Poppy credit for serving somewhat eclectic dishes. I had the lamb from the restaurant week menu and it was fall-off-the bone tender and so flavorful. Of the thali side dishes, the beet and pomegranate salad and pickled lemon verbena carrots were my favorites. Date cake with banana ice cream and candied pecans dessert was moist and the pecans added spice and crunch. Hoping I can make it back for another restaurant week dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurants in towncloverhoneyDined on 11/17/2014Best deal during 'Dine Around Seattle', Poppy never fails to blow me away with every course. The Thali invites sharing so my tablemates ans I get a little of everything. Service is warm, friendly, knowledgable and yet never overbearing. I asked for our server's recommendations and took them all = total win.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and Inventive.NSeattle5Dined on 11/16/2014My wife and I celebrated a wedding anniversary here on a Sunday evening. We took advantage of a special Seattle dine around dinner at a good price. Dishes were tasty and inventive. Presentation was similar to a nice Indian restaurant but the food was more Pacific Northwest fusion. Not sure what was in some of the side dishes but it made no difference. We thoroughly enjoyed everything. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousSeattletoTacomaVIPDined on 11/15/2014The food at Poppy is fabulous. Very unique and interesting combinations. Loved the tart appetizer! Service wasn't quite what I'd expect from such a nice restaurant but they were extremely busy so it may have just been a bad night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Northwest ingredients; innovative preparations!SunnySueVIPDined on 11/14/2014Poppy, now six years in, is as delicious and wonderful as the first time I visited. I always feel torn between the various thalis.....which do I pick? They all always sound delicious! Ingredients are local and seasonal with delicious twists incorporating herbs from Poppy's garden out back along with complementary spices. All is served with many little side servings (thalis) expertly matched to the fabulous main course on the tray. Service is friendly and top-notch. The wine list is outstanding and affordable for the bottle you want. Poppy is a must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good experienceJakeDined on 11/13/2014Second visit in three years, same high quality food experience. Very creative choices. We were well treated in a large party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GlennRDined on 11/12/2014As usual, we had a delightful time enjoying a Seattle Dine Out Thali meal at Poppys. The variety of small plates is a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently amazing.MAB1Dined on 11/12/2014I prefer to go early to start before the full rush. Most recently i have dined there during resturant week and dine out in seattle. The way they ser up the menu for a frist course - tahli (msp?) - then dessert was a great way to experience a tremendous variiety of flavors. Even without The special - The food is presented in a way that you get to it sample many little tastes of wonderful combinations of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/11/2014This was a wonderful experience with creative takes on food such as black cod, beets, oysters, and beef. The soup, green beans, and other creative side dishes were all quite tasty. Their desserts are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!StellaDined on 11/10/2014Poppy was, overall, outstanding. My bf and I went to celebrate my birthday and it was a bit noisy for a true romantic spot, but good for a birthday celebration. We each had the Dine Around Seattle tasting menu, and it ended up being too much food. The food was solid all around, but we both would have been fine with just a thali and a shared dessert or appetizer. The flavors blended well in everything and they were unique without being overtly so. The hot and numbing dumplings stood out as well as the lamb osso bucco. Definitely a recommended place, with the caveat that it is a bit noisy when the dining room is full.Special Features:
- Always Fun TastesCindyWDined on 11/9/2014Dining at Poppy is always a fun experience, with unique bites, carefully prepared food, and fabulous cocktails. During the month of November, their Dine Around Seattle menu is quite a deal -- a 7 item thali plus appetizer plus dessert, all for $33.Special Features:
- Poppy - a foodies dreamOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014My wife and I recently visited Poppy for her 37th birthday. We had heard fantastic recommendations from our friends and in publications as well. All of those remarks were founded on truths. What a great experience. The food was incredible and the seasonal flavors really shined through. So fresh and vibrant. The service was top notch, friendly, and educational. Our overall experience was wonderful and we will definitely return. I would recommend Poppy to anyone whether its a romantic evening or a casual nosh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed and still hungry...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/8/2014After all this time, we decided to try Poppy for my husband's birthday. Things started out great. We found an awesome parking spot and our table was ready as soon as we checked in. Then, we waited....and waited. We got some water and had a great bottle of wine. We ordered our food and....we waited. An hour later, our entrees arrived. We were starving. Finally, the food came out. The main dishes were decent and only memorable because my tiny piece of cod had at least 6 bones! I'm sure I swallowed one. The rest of my thali was blah and I couldn't bring myself to finish it. :( I've never been so hungry after dinner. We quietly skipped dessert, paid our bill, and booked it to Dilettante. At least our night started off and ended off well. Too bad the rest of it was disappointing and we won't be going back.
- Poppy was funNBSeattleDined on 11/3/2014Poppy was a lot of fun, but may still be in the fine tuning stage. The dishes are presented in clusters on a platter with a protein entrée and several small cups of sides. For all 3 of the us the entrée was very good, and the sides varied. Each of us had at least 2 sides we loved, a couple that were good and at least one that we didn't care for. The waiter was good and helpful in making recommendations, but there were some glitches between the waiter and the food runners in getting the right food to the right person. The service was efficient. The décor is casual, clean and bright. The homemade ice creams were excellent and the handcrafted cocktails were intriguing. I think they are off to a good start.Special Features:
- Fabulous mealGmamaDined on 11/1/2014A wonderful birthday celebration for two foodie friends. We sampled each of the Thalis offered that night and each was delicious! Exceptional use of spices and various cooking techniques. Very impressed and will recommend to others.Special Features:
- Did not disappointhaloosaDined on 10/30/2014We went during Restaurant Week, so it was pretty busy. Even so, the service was pretty good, although it was a bit long between courses, nothing like some other reviews have complained about. Some of the food was outstanding and our waiter, who was kind of adorable, did a good job steering us towards it. I particularly liked the numbing potato dumplings. the lavender duck, lavender potatoes, and the lemon geranium ice cream with brittle. Somehow the soups were a little disappointing. The savory food there is good with beer. Poppy definitely has a focus on interesting flavor combinations that mostly work quite well together.Special Features:
- Always amazingLuvLocalVIPDined on 10/30/2014Have been to Poppy multiple times and have always been more than pleased. Amazing food, friendly staff (and very helpful with our toddler). Great place for any occasion. If they only had a changing table...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Food was Excellent, love the Thali concept and execution. 2 person table we were seated at was very close to other 2 person tables, one next to us had 2 sets of couples cycle in, both in the middle of intense relationship dynamics. Too close to feel separate, felt stuck in someone else relationship drama. Maybe just a bad table, but totally ruined the ambiance. Was also restaurant week, so full house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Full of flavorsMG82Dined on 10/30/2014Went with guest from KC for Seattle Restaurant Week. Seated immediately at a cozy table but small for 2 large platters of food. Had pork belly w/escarole, chicken entree, and chocolate torte. Guest had rabbit sausage, lamb Osso bucco, & cremeux for dessert. We sampled each other's courses. I thought each dish had too many seasonings &spices which they are known for. Example, the chocolate torte could've been better without smoked pineapple. The basil nonalcoholic drink was ocerwhelmingly strong. The meats were excellent: chicken, lamb rabbit sausage, pork belly. "Thali" is fun and unique and recommend trying at least once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Tastebud's DreamfunsizedfoodieDined on 10/29/2014A friend and I decided to take advantage of Seattle's restaurant week. We narrowed down our options and she made note that she'd been wanting to try out Poppy. I had never been here nor had heard of it. They were running a little behind with their reservations. The hostess to make up for this promptly gave us the option to sit at an open table they don't normally use for reservations and took our drink order. The food was exquisite. The normal menu prices are above what I normally choose to pay for dinner, however once I received my food I understood why. There wasn't a dish that I did not enjoy. Aside from the food, the waitstaff was attentive and courteous.Special Features:
- Poppy is like no other restauranttravelersezVIPDined on 10/29/2014As one of my friends said Poppy never disappoints. From the drinks, appetizers, thalis and desserts, everything is flavored well with nothing overpowering the other flavors. We also appreciate that Poppy offers a thali for vegetarians. Each time we visit, Poppy offers a different thali so the most difficult situation for you is how to choose because you want everything on Poppy's menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Awesome!JdangeloDined on 10/28/2014What a unique and wonderful dining experience! Delicious, great service and a place we'll return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dining experience!!RetireddougDined on 10/27/2014A wonderful place to dine with friends. The menu has enough variation to meet the palate demands of everyone. The blending of spices is an exquisite culinary delight. Serving sizes were very good. Everyone at our table felt it was the right amount of food. The quality of the food and service was not at all diminished by the noise level found in many restaurants today. We could have a normal conversation about the food and the surroundings without having to shout to be heard. All-in-all, it was a great dining experience that I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really want to like this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014This place had raving reviews from critics and I wanted to check this place out. Went here for the SRW, and loved the atmosphere and service but the food just wasn't for me and my date. We both like Indian and Asian cuisine, and naturally thought this would be a place we would love. But the herbs and spices in their dish was far too strong for our liking. Unfortunately we won't be back.Special Features:
- A Memorable DinnerPerfectionDined on 10/27/2014Three years ago three of us ate at Poppy, and three years later we chose Poppy again because the memory of that meal at Poppy stayed with each of us the past three years. And it was as good as ever. It was restaurant week, so included a three course meal with a thali, an appetizer and a dessert, for what normally just the thali would cost. We had a dinner that was totally satisfying and will not be forgotten. If you have not been to Poppy yet, do not hesitate, go!Special Features:
- InterstingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/27/2014Seattle Restaurant week was a good opportunity to try this place as we sought a dining experience that was different than food we've had before. Eclectic dining with interesting combinations. Enjoyed the little bits of soups, salads and sides that compliment each featured main. The lamb osso bucco was tender and delicious albeit just a tiny bit salty. Hostess could work on being more welcoming.Special Features:
- DeliciousMegjoyoDined on 10/26/2014We took the opportunity to visit Poppy during restaurant week and were impressed with the food and service. It was fun to have all of the little dishes that come with the main course. I would recommend this to anyone who is somewhat adventurous in eating.Special Features:
- Food is too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/26/2014Long wait despite a reservation. All dishes served at room temp, even the soup. Unheated soup would be forgivable on a busy night but most of the dishes were too salty, some to an uncomfortable degree (numbing potatoes, lamb). Once a fan of this restaurant; won't be returning since previous visit was also disappointing.
- Always interestingMumblyDined on 10/26/2014I've been to Poppy twice, both times during restaurant week. I enjoy being able to sample a few bites of many dishes. On the most recent visit, the soups were the least enjoyable, but there were plenty of tasty vegetable and grain dishes. The chocolate torte I had for dessert was average, but the smoked pineapple and peanut chili ice cream that came with it were superb. I wish they sold the ice cream by the pint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just wonderfulFoodie34Dined on 10/26/2014We were there for Seattle restaurant week and loved every minute of it. Great food, great service. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poppy for SRWjmieDined on 10/26/2014Overall wonderful experience! Thali main dishes were incredible, the sides were hit-and-miss, but the variety of dishes was unique, creative, and exciting. Atmosphere and noise level were perfect to create an upbeat but not overwhelming vibe. Food took a little while to come, but service was polite and accommodating. I brought in a bouquet of flowers and was immediately offered and provided a vase to place them in on the table, which was very thoughtful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cap Hill FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014I was very excited to dine at Poppy and they did not disappoint. The salmon and steak were both cooked perfectly and the flavors were all very interesting and different. Love the tiny little portions of a bunch of different dishes.Special Features:
- Great evening outluvfreshfareDined on 10/25/2014Poppy is a hip Capitol Hill restaurant. Dress is casual, it's not a quiet romantic place but the ambiance is relaxing with warm lighting and candlelight. We were a party of 6 and we had a nice table near the middle of the restaurant. Between us I think we ordered all the Talis on the menu. Our food arrived hot and all at once and the waitress kindly explained what was on each of our trays. We all loved our meals and service was good. The Wagyu steak was 'melt in your mouth' delicious and I heard the salmon was equally great. Don't miss out on dessert, the options are really creative. I shared hot date cake with butterscotch, pecans and banana ice cream. Yum!Special Features:
- Good, not greatFancyFrannieDined on 10/25/2014The variety of food you get with the Thalis is great- however, most of the things were good, not great. That said, I'm really happy we tried Poppy. Though I wouldn't suggest to go back on my own, I wouldn't be opposed if friends were meeting up there.Special Features:
- Nice restaurantwoorbDined on 10/25/2014We enjoyed our time here. Appetizers were delicious. When our entrees (thalis) took longer than usual, the kitchen brought us a small tart for the wait. Loved the main dish and everything was cooked perfectly but the seasonings for the side dishes were not what we're used to. They were very aromatic/herby so we couldn't eat much of it. However, if those flavors are what you like, then this is the perfect place for you.Special Features: