Poplar Creek Grill
1700 Coyote Point Dr
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Poplar Creek Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.poplarcreekgrill.com/
- Phone: 6505227525
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday-Friday: 7:00am-11:00am;
Brunch: Saturday-Sunday: 7:00am-2:00pm;
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:00am-5:00pm,
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm-8:00pm (Closing Time is Seasonally Adjusted)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Kendig
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We have the best on-site Catering facility on the Peninsula, accommodating up to 200 guests and an excellent team experienced in serving major events every day. Contact Karen Shea, Director of Catering, at Poplar Creeek Grill. She will be happy to help you plan your catered event at the location of your choice. With your personalized menu and our dedicated staff, your guests or associates will rave to you for weeks to come.
A word from Poplar Creek Grill
We invite you to relax in the serene setting of the Poplar Creek Golf Course while enjoying a cocktail or a glass of wine and one of your favorite dishes. With selections of updated classsics to one of the best burgers on the Peninsula, we offer enough variety and quality to make it easy to dine for parties of two or ten. A newcomer will quickly feel at home at our full service bar while chatting with our friendly bartender or watching an important sporting event. As we enter our third year of operation under our current local owners, we are working even harder to make Poplar Creek Grill one of the places both regulars and first timers enjoy! Our loyal patrons have been frequenting the location for years, even when it was owned and operated by others, but we have taken it to new levels of friendliness and hospitality since 2009 and we think you'll notice! Our food is earning us greater praise each month, as we seasonally update our menus to ensure you always receive the best.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Poplar Creek Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)neighborhood gem (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- etlrVIPDined on 6/19/2014What a disappointment! - but the views of the golf course are lovely. My husband and I were the only customers for the whole time we were there and the service was very slow. My husband ordered soup and a hamburger and I ordered an Asian chicken salad. After a very long wait, my salad - which was mostly lettuce with a few pieces of chicken and scant, tasteless dressing - and and his hamburger arrived but no sign of the soup. When he asked the waiter where it was, the waiter told him he would bring it later. My husband sent the hamburger back to keep warm while he waited for the soup to come first. A most frustrating evening and no! we'll not be back.Special Features:
- The following 70 reviews are from the Poplar Creek Grill reviews archive.
- Good food and ambienceDaly2MateDined on 5/23/2014The food was very good and was a large portion. The chowder was delicious. The servers were very attentive.Special Features:
- Must have been an off dayLizzDined on 5/11/2014Terrible service on Mother's Day. The place was completely empty. Only 3 tables of people and yet everyone had to wait and wait and wait even though there were 2 servers. We hope other people have better luck.
- I'd go backLuv2eatoutDined on 5/11/2014We went there for Mother's Day Brunch because they could take us at the last minute. The food was delicious. The desserts weren't too exciting. The view of the golf course with the planes approaching SFO in the background is very nice from the dining room. Overall, it was really good. We'd go back.Special Features:
- AngelaDined on 5/6/2014Everyone (7 of us) had a pleasant happy hour there. The service was excellent. We definitly would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never going backOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2014The food was buffet, no heating so it was cold and an automatic gratuity of 20% on a buffet was applied! I didn't want to cause a scene so I emailed them twice with reply. Not worth going.
- Nice EasterOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/20/2014This was our second time for Easter Brunch for the Family. The staff was great, the food was great.Special Features:
- Great location and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013For our class reunion, everyone came from different directions: east bay, San Francisco, Daily City, San Mateo, and I myself drove up from the south bay. The restaurant location is ideal, conveniently situated for all directions. The waiter and the service team provided excellent service. The golf course view was a big plus! We enjoyed the delicious food and liked the view surrounding our table very much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average foodSMRealtorVIPDined on 12/13/2013Limited selections/average food/nice but very slow service/convenient if you are playing golf at poplar creek
- Perfect settingRoanraDined on 10/20/2013We had guests from out if town that were passing through and we wanted to find a place with good ambience and allow us to be able to hold a conversation. This fit the bill perfectly. The views of the golf course are nice to look out to from large windows around the restaurant. We were not rushed to leave and the food was good. We got there early and the time we left the place was filled up.Special Features:
- MenufromMillbraeVIPDined on 9/27/2013Menu has changed; apparently a new chef. Very little choices. I liked the old menu better.
- Standard golf course bar anddoonhartVIPDined on 9/10/2013Standard golf course bar and grill fare, at a fair price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Course side viewDateNightVIPDined on 7/20/2013The Poplar Creek Grill was a nice place to enjoy brunch by the golf course.Special Features:
- poor service, misleading siteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2013The site's pics suggested a nice restaurant with a view of the bay. Actually, the snack bar at the public golf course. We stood in the entry way for about 10 min waiting for the single bartender to finish talking to the two people at the bar and seat us before giving up and leaving. Probably fine for a post game beer and hotdog if you like waiting a long time for your beer.
- Sparse selection for Mother's DayVioletaDined on 5/12/2013Even though the food actually tasted pretty good, the selection for a buffet-style brunch was very limited. We understand that it was only $29.99 per person and that is a lot less than other restaurants offering Mother's Day specials, but we felt it wasn't worth the money when compared to paying $22-$25/person at Kome, Moonstar, or Hokkaido Buffet dinners which have crab and other seafood. Maybe, ordering from a lunch or dinner menu is better. But based on our one experience, I cannot recommend this restaurant for buffet-style eating. Easy parking and convenient location with a fairly-nice atmosphere but just lacking in quantity.
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/12/2013This was not your normal buffet food for brunch. All the food was cooked to perfection. There was no powdery or soggy eggs, the selection was fantastic and the service was great. Prime Rib and ham cut to order and a large salad selection as well as a dessert table. I'd definitely come back for brunch again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch @ noon on 5/11/13OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2013We were in a party of 6, but 3 of group were late. We were provided adequates service, however, after the rest arrived, service went steadily downhill, ultimately getting to a snails pace. A bit odd and vexing was the constant mixup of who ordered what item when food was deliveredSpecial Features:
- Although the food was okayetknoxVIPDined on 5/1/2013Although the food was okay at this place, we were very disappointed as the menu they presented to us was completely different than what they had online. We had our hearts set on certain items only to find out they were no longer offered on the new menu. If you are in the mood for burgers, sandwiches and stuff, this place fits the bill. Will not be going back here for a business lunch again. Menu did not meet our expectations.Special Features:
- Bit of a bump in the raodJohnVIPDined on 2/1/2013I just think they need to make up their minds as to whether they want to be open for dinner anymore--they seem less and less crowded at dinner and I believe they have laid off staff for evening hours. In the daytime, they have the golfing crowd and concurrently the beauty of the golf course to attract folks...but at night, I guess they just do not draw--I believe partly because they keep the parking lot/entrance so dark, you might automatically assume it was closed if you did not know better...I have been coming here for 15+ years and the food has always been good and while the service somewhat spotty, overall, very good food, good prices and good atmosphere--on this night, just the poor bartender was by himself and working both the bar anSpecial Features:
- Poplar Creek Grill, give it a trybuckspcDined on 12/21/2012Poplar Creek is a nice place to go for lunch, golf course nearby so there are lots of them in the bar after playing and they can be loud but overall a very nice place to eat.Special Features:
- Best grilled chicken Caesar wrapJohnVIPDined on 11/5/2012These folks continue to churn out good, satisfying food at a wonderfully scenic Poplar Creek Golf Course; They have the best grilled chicken Caesar wrap ever-- huge and on in house made chewy flatbread in an enormous portion---- Check it out!Special Features:
- Beautiful setting and easyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2012Beautiful setting and easy to find and park. But very noisy, from other patrons and especially from the bar. Very cold feeling after dark too.Special Features:
- This lovely Golf Course grilleDinerVIPDined on 10/12/2012This lovely Golf Course grille is a perfect place to have a nice meal. We thoroughly enjoyed our lovely view of the golf course, while dining on some fine BLAT sandwiches and Caesar Salad with Chicken. The service is top notch and the delightful location is ideal to get to. Have fun and enjoy...Special Features:
- Took a friend and her twoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2012Took a friend and her two children here on a Sunday Brunch outing...told our server Fernando it was her birthday and he brought her a birthday sundae at the end of our meal. I give gold stars when a server remembers occassions!!!! Great place ... the Irish Cream French Toast was the best!!!!!Special Features:
- Good service. Salmon was delicious.junieDined on 9/20/2012Good service. Salmon was delicious. Never felt rushed. Have been before and would go again for good food and lovely view.Special Features:
- This is a cute and very affordableFoodieVIPDined on 9/17/2012This is a cute and very affordable resturant with good quality food. The Mon-Thurs. specials are a great deal.Special Features:
- Great lunch spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/4/2012There is a great scenic view of the pretty greenery of the golf course. Occasionally there are ducks and canada goose wandering about. They have recently changed their menu, at least since the last time we were there. We liked the ambiance before, but were never really thrilled with the menu. The new menu is great - especially for lunch. Same menu all day long, so there are a few dinner entree items. Only thing bringing down the ambiance was the noise, but that's the way people seem to like it these days. We were there on a Saturday, so lots of golfers were eating. Probably not so noisy during the week. Still highly recommended.Special Features:
- I'm sorry to report it wasout2lunchDined on 8/3/2012I'm sorry to report it was such a disappointment. Items were substituted in entrees without notification--certainly understand kitchen doing so but should advise patrons should they wish to choose something else. On another item (salad) asked for different salad dressing which didn't arrive Waitstaff pleasant but neither knowledgeable or trained. We have eaten here in the past an enjoyed positive results. Probably will not return, sorry to say.Special Features:
- Our table was reserved forOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/15/2012Our table was reserved for us, and it was just what we wanted. There was no maitre D' to check in with, so I had no way to indicate that we were an "open table" party. The food was mediocre. The salad was soggy, and had few of the ingredients that were promised: two spiced walnut halves, few other items.Three of us ate salad and no bread was offered. The wrap that one of us ordered was very generous in size. The prices were very reasonable. It was not loud and it was also what we wanted because we were there to see one another.Special Features:
- 1st time there. Looking forwardOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/20121st time there. Looking forward to more visits. Thanks to Open Table search.Special Features:
- These folks reinvented theJohnVIPDined on 7/5/2012These folks reinvented the Caesar wrap using their own housemade flatbread--it is the best anywhere; They have always had good food- it is even better now;Special Features:
- As always, an enjoyable diningOnoliciousVIPDined on 6/25/2012As always, an enjoyable dining experience; a great place to take visitors.Special Features:
- We arrived nearly an hourYumYuMeDined on 6/4/2012We arrived nearly an hour before a special event held at the restaurant, thinking we would have plenty of time to order and eat. The wait after we ordered was so long, however, that my son had to leave before his food arrived. My order was wrong and had to be sent back. Perhaps it was the fact that the restaurant was struggling with an influx of customers before the event; however, since they knew it was happening you would think they would have had extra wait staff and kitchen help on hand. The food was nothing special, though the burgers were generously sized.
- Enjoyed one of the warmestOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/6/2012Enjoyed one of the warmest days outside. It was lovely. Will go back.Special Features:
- I went for Easter brunch andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/8/2012I went for Easter brunch and was very dissapointed in the quality of the food. I had to force myself to eat it and even considered leaving, but I did not want to be rude. I truly expected more for the high price they charge for this meal. There are many other brunches in the are competitively priced with much higher quality food and service.Special Features:
- Food was terrible, everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/8/2012Food was terrible, everything was lukewarm, dry and greasy.
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2012Last minute reservation for Easter brunch, but found this venue to be quite pleasant. Easy parking, and not too crowded. Food choices were fine for kids and adults alike. Service was excellent. I think they expected more people today.Special Features:
- Easter Brunch for party ofOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2012Easter Brunch for party of 9 (4 adults, 1 sr. citizen & 4 children 12yrs & younger). Approx. 12 tables in room. Lots of space allowed for elderly to move since my 93 yr old grandmother was with me. Variety of meats-salmon, ham, lamb & beef. I tried the lamb & beef, which were both delicious. Horseradish must have been mixed with too much sour cream because there was no flavor to it. There were two different types of mac & cheese - plain for kids & the other had pancetta, which had great flavor. Great dessert assortment of bite-sized eclairs, cream puffs, fruit tarts & cakes. Drinks included OJ, coffee, tea & milk. For the adult price though, wished the brunch included mimosa, which most other hotels & restaurants include for same price.Special Features:
- Went for Easter Brunch. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2012Went for Easter Brunch. Food and service were very good. Bar is open to the restaurant and unfortunately very noisy. View of the golf course was nice.
- Have gone here for many years-JohnVIPDined on 3/22/2012Have gone here for many years- back when it was Dominics... They have undergone many menu changes but still offer the basic, satisfying good things...the wait staff has been there for a while as well; They have arguably the very best Caesar chicken wrap ever----a must try; Of course folks go here as much for the great view of the Poplar Creek course---while not the most challenging(flat as a board)--the lush green eye candy always enhances the meal!Special Features: