Popi's Italian Restaurant
3120 South 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19145Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Popi's Italian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.popisrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (215) 755-7180
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm- 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer banquet rooms with banquet menus for up to 150 people. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Gina Rucci 2157557180
- Entertainment: Saturday evenings: Live Singing (new & old standards)
- Special Events: Please join us for the Holidays.
A word from Popi's Italian Restaurant
Popi's is a family restaurant serving lunch and dinner. We are family owned and operated and offer private parking, ambience, great food and service. There is a separate entrance for banquets. For your use at Popi's Restaurant Free WiFi is now accessible! Ask your server for password.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Popi's Italian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (23)good for groups (21)fit for foodies (19)vibrant bar scene (11)romantic (9)notable wine list (6)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/22/2014I always wanted to try this place, and I'm glad I did. Our experience was amazing! We had the crab cakes, and they didn't disappoint! Service was right on too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popi's is deliciousPierDined on 11/21/2014I don't usually go out for italian food because I am itallian and I cook a lot of it at home. However, Popi's reminds my of my Grandmother's cooking. Everything is so fresh and has a cooked to order feeling. I have 3 teenagers and I have taken all of them there for their birthday. The food is almost hard to put into words, but I know I love it, it's very comforting food. I always leave there stuffed and unable to breath and always take something home. It also has a Center City feel found tucked in South Philly. They are a little pricey, like for 2 with only one person drinking and with appetizers to dessert it is an easy $100. dollar meal but well worth it. I always enjoy it espescially since it gives me the comfort food feeling and a homemade feeling like I am in my grandmother's home and since I can no longer get that because she is no longer with us and her recipes that I had recently got thrown out. I would recommend it to any friend at all for an occosion or not. I have always gotten a reservation and I live about 20 minutes even if I have been late due to traffic, I still got seated without waiting,, Everyone who woris there is very down to earth and easy to talk to be it about food or general converaation and recommendationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fantastic Authentic, a truly unique findReginafromLebanonDined on 11/15/2014Our group was from Tennessee and northern PA. We found this gem easily and were delighted in the sincere hospality shown. Food was absolutely wonderful with many classic selections as well as chef selections! Lounge with large seating area, live music, vibrant ! I can't say enough on the preparation and presentation of the food combined with great service this spot is really special. I travel frequently and was delighted to find a non-chain establishment I WILL recommend to colleagues who are also going thru the Philadelphia area. Popi's is fabulous !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night!!ChrisDined on 11/10/2014Everything went smooth, very accommodating, esp when we showed up early! Food was fantastic and nice bottle of wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clymer697Dined on 11/1/2014We dined at Popi's to celebrate a friend's birthday. The atmosphere was nice, the service and food were very good. I like that they had dancing after 9:00 p.m. It's nice to have a place to eat and enjoy nightlife in the same venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat ...JB22VIPDined on 10/30/2014Popi's is a great neighborhood Italian restaurant. Feels great to catch up with friends in this wonderfully friendly restaurant. We popped in mid-week and had great service from small Paul. Clams white, and the lobster ravioli - both my brother and I ate like Vikings. Top notch execution from host, bar, wait and kitchen teams. Check out this restaurant for a break in the routine or a special occasion!Special Features:
- MikeDined on 10/29/2014Dined at Popi's prior to attending a concert at the Wells Fargo Center. Made a reservation for 5:00 PM (3 hours before the start of the show). We found the restaurant about 20% full at that time. The service was great, despite what has been published in Yelp other reviews. Perhaps better planning would have been less stressful for those diners. Our meals were prepared well and well within the expectations of an Italian Restaurant in South Philadelphia. I will say that the restaurant filled up quickly during the time we were there. On our way out, we overheard the host say that he just seated his last available table. Bottom line: go early to avoid the potential of experiencing slower service.Special Features:
- inattentive serverOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014I've been to Popi's several times before, when in Philadelphia for business. The food was excellent as always. But the service was painfully slow. Our server would disappear for long periods of time, and a glass of wine that was ordered never arrived.
- Great Location to Stadium VenuesMomOnTheGoDined on 10/15/2014Our place to go before south philly events. Food is incredible and it is only a 5 minute drive to stadium area. Prefect.Special Features:
- Great South Philly SpotcforuDined on 10/11/2014Brought my wife there this past Saturday night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Everything we ordered was amazing from appetizer to desert. The wait staff was pleasant and attentive. Cozy atmosphere.....You will not be disappointed!!Special Features:
- AppetiteWillTravelDined on 9/22/2014Great traditional Italian-fare. Pleasant atmosphere. Nice lunch menu offering daily pasta and seafood specials. The crab cakes are a lunch crowd favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedLauletDined on 9/20/2014Good food, nice people, great service, just an overall dependable place for a great night out befor a game, event or just a night out with friends. We have friends from some distance that when they are in the area want to fine at poppies. How can you beat that for a recommendation.Special Features:
- popi'spatsyannDined on 9/13/2014Great to have parking lot when in South Philly. Nice bar. Very roomy but also very noisy. Food was good and service was very good.Special Features:
- Now that's ItalianHankyVIPDined on 9/12/2014Just got back from a great trip to Italy with my wife, brother and sister-in-law. We all said the flavors and feel were very similar to dinners in Rome and Venice. Loved it again. Must try the antipasto for an appetizer. If you like Broccoli Rabe, you will love the way they prepare it. No thick stems, loaded with flavor and very tender. We all will be back soon.Special Features:
- Fine but not great.JackfanDined on 9/5/2014No fault of the restaurant, but our experience was marred by an extremely noisy and boisterous group of 18-20 people nearby. We could barely hear ourselves talk. Food was okay, but mushrooms were canned (not fresh). Had to ask three times for lemons for our water. With all that said, menu options are plentiful and interesting, and cost is moderate. I'd give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Food was delicious! Best Italian meal I have had in a while. Johnny D our server was great! Kept our drinks and plates full. YUM! Would definitely go back!Special Features:
- TrendlineDined on 8/14/2014Great menu but pricey-spacious dining area-food very good-long wait for entrees even though about 1/4 full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/2/2014Went to Popi's before a concert which started at 8 pm. Had reservations for 6. By 7:40, we had only been served our salads and we had to cancel our dinner and just pay for the salads and leave for the concert. We were starving at the concert
- Great foodkgirlDined on 8/2/2014Food was very good and restaurant was very popular, as it was quite crowded. Recognized waiters from previous visits. Only 2 waiters were assigned to a huge dining room. Service was slow therefore and waiters seemed frazzled. They were very shortstaffed that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointinglisalisaDined on 8/2/2014I will preface this by saying they were slammed because of billy joel concert. We were late the show :( Waited 45 mins for reserved table 45 mins for appetizers 1 1/2 hour for entrée. Mine was truly awful. they were not prepared for the crowd. The only positive thing I can say about our experience is the bartender rocked.
- The following 469 reviews are from the Popi's Italian Restaurant reviews archive.
- Popi's Did Not Live Up to ReviewsSteveDined on 7/29/2014A lot of good reviews of Popi's convinced us to give this restaurant a try. The party of 10 ordered appetizers for the table and were disappointed. The calamari was bland and tough. So this did not bode well. The antipasto consisted of a couple of salami pieces, some canned tuna chunks, some cheese and mostly lettuce. The bruschetta was also somewhat bland - where's the garlic - and the bread was more stale than crusty. On to the main courses: The veal saltimbocca was not particularly tender, the veal with shrimp was bland and not particularly tender. The chicken Nicole was OK, smothered with blush sauce. The filet was fine, the frutta de mare was Ok and the Veal chops were very good. Would not return to this restaurant.
- Simply Perfect!JoDinesDined on 7/20/2014Had a wonderful, relaxing dinner for a family birthday celebration. Food was delicious. There were thirteen of us in the party, and everyone loved their meals. Service was great - very attentive but not intrusive. Looking forward to going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningeapoeVIPDined on 7/19/2014We started our evening with dinner at Popi's. The food is always delicious and plentiful. Our waiter, Paul, was particularly knowledgeable on the specials and the wine list. My wife had the clams, I had the shrimp fra diavolo, both were outstanding. As a precursor to the meal, I had the acini di pepe, excellent. This wonderful meal was capped off at the Tower Theater to watch Yes. Great evening...Special Features:
- AS USUALROCKVIPDined on 7/6/2014As usual everything was great, from appetizers to entrees to dessert, including the service..........I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/25/2014Overall we all had fun and enjoyed a good meal. it wasvery noisy which made it difficult to hear. great appetizers-especially eggplant rolotini and the antipasto. food was tasty except the seafood dishes ( lingiuni and clams and fruitte del mar) which were overcooked.Special Features:
- Spot on / Real Italian!JB22VIPDined on 6/22/2014Popped in early for a REAL ITALIAN dinner before a concert across the river ... The attention to detail and the clock were never out of sight. We dined on traditional Orecchiette with sausage, the stuffed rigatoni special (decadent) and served in olive oil with brocolirabe and hot sausage. Of course started with the clams white, with sauce you just don't want to give back - until you've used up every piece of bread to clean the bowl of every drop! Another stellar night! If you haven't been, you gotta try - if you have - it's time to go back! Popi's is the real deal. Good people serving great food in a wonderful setting in South Philadelphia.Special Features:
- DeliciousFreddyDined on 6/15/2014There is a reason why this restaurant has been around for years-because of its delicious food and great service. I took my dad and the family here for Father's Day. We all loved the food, Paul, our server was excellent and we enjoyed ourselves. Will definitely be back again. Great for families or for a romantic evening out.Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodWildheartRileyDined on 6/14/2014Best Veal Parm in Philadelphia, service is fantastic! Everything about this place is super! All the food is amazing!Special Features:
- Popi's PAOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014Service and food were excellent. We especially enjoyed the crab cakes. It is a wonderful local/neighborhood style restaurant. I definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Just really liked this placePHILLY4VIPDined on 5/31/2014Food was delicious and our server was great! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatpoppy12Dined on 5/27/2014great food, greater service. the best food in south phillySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousLuv2dineVIPDined on 5/24/2014Everything we ordered was outstanding. From the calamari to the salad to veal and Mediterranean fish and concluding with tiramisu, it was a wonderful experience. My only recommendation is to start with the tiramisu..... It is positively the best we ever hadSpecial Features:
- Very nicediningoutVIPDined on 5/20/2014Their menu seems to fit into standard Italian food. Some places try to take a modern or off the wall approach. This place was just good old fashioned Italian food. Some of their specials seemed a bit of a twist which is a good options and they had many specials. This place is not close to my normal routes but if I find myself down near the stadiums, I would definitely go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MANGIAlove2eatDined on 5/17/2014Great place for groups, reunions - the food was excellent, the service great - price was reasonable, location is perfect for those coming in from I-76, the Blue Route and Bridges - and plenty parking spaces - really can not ask for anything moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!PattiDined on 5/16/2014Nice selection of entrees and specials. Antipasto was perfect as was the veal parm. We were early dining and virtually alone so I was a little disappointed that the next diners to enter we're seated at a table right next to us when the rest of the place was empty . However by the time we finished the place was pretty well filled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrandyDined on 5/16/2014The food was very good and most of the service was also very good. Access to adequate facilities was limitedSpecial Features:
- Good, not greatsvodinesDined on 5/15/2014Good bar area, but slow the night we were there. Appetizers were very good, especially the shrimp. The entrees were fair, not great. Room for groups, which was the main point for going there.Special Features:
- GREATROCKVIPDined on 5/12/2014As usual everything was perfect, from the food to the server, Johnny D. Have never had a bad meal or bad service at Popi's.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- markbDined on 5/10/2014Overall, it was a pleasant experience. Table of 6 next to us was extremely loud which made conversation difficult. Veal was delicious. Shrimp diJon was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-game mealMichaelDined on 4/29/2014Great food and perfect location for a pre-game meal.I would recommend this to a friend.