Popi's Italian Restaurant
3120 South 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19145Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Popi's Italian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.popisrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (215) 755-7180
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm- 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer banquet rooms with banquet menus for up to 150 people. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Gina Rucci 2157557180
- Entertainment: Saturday evenings: Live Singing (new & old standards)
- Special Events: Please join us for the Holidays.
A word from Popi's Italian Restaurant
Popi's is a family restaurant serving lunch and dinner. We are family owned and operated and offer private parking, ambience, great food and service. There is a separate entrance for banquets. For your use at Popi's Restaurant Free WiFi is now accessible! Ask your server for password.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Popi's Italian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)special occasion (24)good for groups (21)fit for foodies (20)vibrant bar scene (11)romantic (9)notable wine list (6)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- I keep going back!!!JRluvs2dineDined on 11/21/2013Popi's is a great place to dine with great food and service. It is a perfect place for a first date! The crab cakes are the best in the city!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group from a trade showSkyOCDined on 11/20/2013Nice restaurant. We were a trade show group looking for a restaurant last minute who could take 7. We were all pleased. Very friendly and great food, Made requested items not on menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodjchrisDined on 11/16/2013Great Italian food. Service was a bit slow but they were very busy. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was in the area for a marathonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013Was in the area for a marathon and needed to find an Italian restaurant to carb load. Found this online and it was beyond what we expected! Great service, food and atmosphere. If I'm ever in the area again I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A star in South PhillyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013Excellent traditional Italian food but also some original dishes that I thought were very tasty. Combos one is not used to seeing in a neighborhood restaurant. Veal chop covered with a fig cream sauce. 3 cuts of filet, each with a different sauce, one being fish. Fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service makes the experienceFood4meDined on 11/11/2013Our waiter was fantastic. Knowledgeable about the wine list and food. Took time to answer questions. Very positive about the taste of food. It was tough choosing when everything sounded so good. He also put together a great antipasti for the group plus the BREAD was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed in my filetsunshineVIPDined on 11/3/2013Very disappointed in my filet mignon special. I usually never order steak but it sounded so tempting and it was very expensive. Service was very slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was not bad. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/3/2013The food was not bad. Service started fine then as the dinner rush started our waiter was never to be seen. Terrible! Very slow service! I read similar reviews about slow service, but went anyway due to the proximity to the event my family was going to that evening. I would go somewhere else next time.
- Celebrated my parents 60thHappyDined on 10/19/2013Celebrated my parents 60th Anniversary. Family came from Delaware County, PA and New York. Popi's was very accommodating to the twelve of us. The food was delicious. The service was exceptional. The staff was extremely helpful and gracious. My family had a very nice time. It was nice being able to enjoy being with my family by letting someone else do the work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!MommyLisaVIPDined on 10/18/2013This was my 2nd time dining at this restaurant, once again it did not disappoint! We had reservations for a large group, 8 children & 3 adults. Due to traffic, we were 45 minutes late for our reservation. The restaurant was so understanding. We only had an hour to dine, since we were seeing a concert at Wells Fargo. They were able to deliver delicious food with plenty of time to enjoy ourselves. Both kids & the mommies were happy. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Game Nightjan48Dined on 10/17/2013Being so close to Citizens Bank Park and the Wachovia Center, service at Popi's gets a little jammed up when there is an event. The staff do their best to get everyone in and out if they are going to one of the events, but it can be a long wait due to the amount of people in there at once with a limited number of staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome As AlwaysFlyersFanVIPDined on 10/15/2013Popi's is always a great meal and really convenient to come too before a game which we do about once a month. The waiters are always right on with their recommendations and have a good temperament. The food is a great deal for the money and always tasty. I made my own entry up last time and the kitchen was accommodating----lobster ravioli in a Fra Diablo sauce with crab meat. My guest was equally impressed with the veal chop special. Keep up the great work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little restaurant aIlikepotatoesDined on 10/14/2013Great little restaurant a short drive away from the airport. It was a very nice and romantic surprise for my wife when she flew back in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Philly ItalianNotravDined on 10/13/2013Great food. Nice south philly neighborhood Italian restaurant. Great staff and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Location and Great FoodJohnDined on 9/21/2013If you are looking for great Italian food, then Popi's is the place to go. Popi's is in a great location when looking for dinner before a sporting or concert venue. Free parking is a plus since you are in the city where parking is difficult. You are only 5 minutes in moderate traffic from the sports complex in South Philly. I will most definitely return to Popi's. The wait staff is most helpful and curteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place & close to Wells FargoJimtriciaDined on 9/21/2013This is a wonderful place with great wine and menu. Also very convenient to the sports complex so you can dine before or after the concert / game. Highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Philly Italian1NewZagatsGuideVIPDined on 9/20/2013We enjoyed the ravioli!!! and the canoli!! Thank you to our beautiful Italian hostess, who saved the day-- thank you! :-)... we still made it, just in time!Special Features:
- Always a good stop .MaggieVIPDined on 9/18/2013Good food, nice atmosphere , good service . One of our favorites .Special Features:
- I'm not too sure about popisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2013Went here on a fridy night and it was dead. Only three other patrons and a small part table . Food mediocre ! Had special spinach ravioli was just ok . Others weren't impressed with lean . Waiter was great !Special Features:
- Fun For LunchEkibeDined on 8/27/2013Chosen for its rich Italian heritage, family owned, at the edge of South Philadelphia. Its a cute restaurant that fills up with locals around lunch time. Thats always a good sign--if the locals dont eat there dont enter lol. Waiter incredibly knowledgeable of the menu, rattled it off by heart. Did note the crabcake to be the best item on the menu, but I received 1 deep fried ball of crab meat soup. Not the best crabcake I've had by far. My colleague's who joined me liked their dishes though. I will probably return and attempt a different meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popi's is Outstanding!IrishPhillyDined on 8/23/2013Took my sister there for dinner. I had never been there before but she said she loved it there. The food was delicious, the server's was very attentive. They sang Happy Birthday to her and we had a blast at the bar afterwords. Would highly recommend it. It's a hidden gem in South Philly. MaryanneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good family gathering placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/20/2013The service was good - the food was good - the ambience was good. Most memorable part was the family style appetizer sampler. Great job, and tasted better. The family was together in Phili from all sorts of other places and we chose to come here. Good place, we would recommend it and gather here again at our next family gathering.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed & Beware Gluten-FreeLindaDesVIPDined on 8/3/2013We were a party of 11 at Popi's to celebrate my birthday. When half our party was stuck in traffic, the servers were gracious. Appetizers came & were delicious: calamari, eggplant rolatini & lamb chops. Caprese and caesar salads also were fresh and well dressed. We waited 45 minutes for entrees - the server said she didn't want to rush us, which on one hand is considerate, but she didn't check to see if we had any time constraints (and we did). Four entrees had problems, either wrong pasta, not hot enough, etc. I asked for gluten-free pasta and it was given to someone else -- fortunately, I don't have an allergy, but the lack of attention to detail left me wondering how serious Popi's takes gluten-free food preparation and service.
- Veal de Mare was excellent.ROCKVIPDined on 7/31/2013Veal de Mare was excellent. Again, our server Johnny D was great. We always ask for him when he is working. He knows not to rush us, as we prefer to take our time with everything....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Family own restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/20/2013A neighborhood gem with a great bar and very friendly staff. Visited from Florida and they made us feel like we were regulars. If your Italian you know what I mean. Try it you'll love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gemBridgetVIPDined on 7/19/2013What a nice night with my husband. We had the chicken Marcella and the filet trio. Amazing! Everyone was really nice! We will be back.Special Features:
- WOW - what a disappointmentFortunate2VIPDined on 7/16/2013Hi - it was not my first visit to Popi's but may be my last. We were there for a 6 p.m. rez and had an 8 p.m. concert at the Center. Ok - easy enough. It was our great misfortunte to be seated in our waiter's section since he was so out of it and MISERABLE. We (4 of us) felt like we were doing something wrong even by placing an order. He barely looked at us and we had to wait so long to be asked if we wanted to order anything be it the first cocktail or our dinner entrees. I went to voice my concern and was told, sure enough "We do this all the time, we will have you out in time for the concert" and "Everyone here is going to the concert" which was very off-putting to say the least. GUESS WHAT? LATE FOR CONCERT!
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/13/2013The food was good but the service was a little weak. Maybe it was late and our server was tired, but he kept bumping into us or dishes or water goblets/drinks. We just brushed it off but it became a bit much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealMackieDined on 7/12/2013Everything here was so great! I got the filet trio and gourmet antipasto. Everyone at my table enjoyed their meals as well, the other dishes were lobster ravioli and chicken a la popi. It was absolutely delicious, but the service was even better! Our bartender Jojo was so friendly and our server Paul was the tops, even the hostess Anne was so accommodating and helpful! Everything here is always consistently good. This place is really close to my house so I've been here so many times I've practically lived here and every time it is something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Family Run SpotpopisDined on 7/8/2013Popi's was just what you would want and expect from a old school south Philly Italian restaurant. traditional menu items along with some nice specials. all the food was very good, although not the best I've had of anything. I will certainly go back as there are a few more dishes I want to try!Special Features:
- Popi's ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2013Wonderful food: Started with clams casino...nice small clams very tasty..different but worthy. Caesar salad...OK..not the best. Special 3 small filet mignons with 3 different toppings...Absolutley excellent. Cooked perfectly. Nice wine list. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- something differentfredVIPDined on 6/18/2013Was not what i expected.........did not look like much from outside or inside but the food made up for it
- Authentic South PhillyMedicJoeDined on 6/14/2013Popi does it right. Great food, service, and value. First time visit but won't be our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top on my listOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/8/2013Great food,service outstanding as always! Clean &friendly !love the special and appetizers !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special LunchAASlimDined on 5/10/2013This is an excellant dinning experience place. Never had a bad meal or experience. Highly reccomended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From the greeter to the serversOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/6/2013Everyone was kind and helpful. The food was great, the specials were well presented. I went in with a certain item in mind and the specials changed my mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Resraurant!phillyguy65Dined on 5/4/2013Popi"s is an excellent place to eat. I had the crab cake which was huge and tasted fabulous. I then had the Popi salad which was so wonderful. I just love the goat cheese. I then had the Veal di Mare which was just so good and tasty and consisted of veal , scallops , shrimp, and crab. The desert was scrumptious and was the triple chocolate cake with espresso. The wine was stupendous. What a great experience for me and my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourPMB1Dined on 4/21/2013We thoroughly enjoyed our food. From appetizers to desert, everyone raved about everything they ordered. Can't get a better meal out. Although our waiter was very nice, our service was not extroidinary. It took almost 15 minutes to bring 2 bottles of beer to the table. Our water glasses were only filled after we asked for it. We had a large group, one of which is elderly and our waiter spoke so softly no one could hear the specials. So, although known for their service, we hit Popi's on an off night apparently. Regardless, I'll definitely be back and I will recommend it to to anyone!Special Features:
- My girlfriend and I love Popi's,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2013My girlfriend and I love Popi's, and the food is always excellent. But our server was slower than molasses in a cold night in January. It started off bad when he walked up to us and mumbled "Something from the bar?" Then, inexplicably, he took our menus from us without telling us the specials or taking our order. When it came time for dessert, we ordered coffee and tea. He dropped it off without asking if we wanted to see a dessert menu or get a check. 10 minutes passed and we asked to see a dessert menu. Our mistake. After we got something, it took him 10 minutes to process our check/drop off my CC. I signed the slip, and as I'm putting my coat on he took the signed copy 20 seconds later! Where were you all night, chief?!Special Features:
- Consisently very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/14/2013Consisently very good food and service. We feel comfortable going at any time.Special Features: