Popi's Italian Restaurant
3120 South 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19145Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Popi's Italian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.popisrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2157557180
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm- 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer banquet rooms with banquet menus for up to 150 people. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Gina Rucci 2157557180
- Entertainment: Saturday evenings: Live Singing (new & old standards)
- Special Events: Please join us for the Holidays.
A word from Popi's Italian Restaurant
Popi's is a family restaurant serving lunch and dinner. We are family owned and operated and offer private parking, ambience, great food and service. There is a separate entrance for banquets. For your use at Popi's Restaurant Free WiFi is now accessible! Ask your server for password.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Popi's Italian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (28)special occasion (25)fit for foodies (16)great for lunch (9)romantic (9)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- TrendlineDined on 8/14/2014Great menu but pricey-spacious dining area-food very good-long wait for entrees even though about 1/4 full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/2/2014Went to Popi's before a concert which started at 8 pm. Had reservations for 6. By 7:40, we had only been served our salads and we had to cancel our dinner and just pay for the salads and leave for the concert. We were starving at the concert
- Great foodkgirlDined on 8/2/2014Food was very good and restaurant was very popular, as it was quite crowded. Recognized waiters from previous visits. Only 2 waiters were assigned to a huge dining room. Service was slow therefore and waiters seemed frazzled. They were very shortstaffed that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointinglisalisaDined on 8/2/2014I will preface this by saying they were slammed because of billy joel concert. We were late the show :( Waited 45 mins for reserved table 45 mins for appetizers 1 1/2 hour for entrée. Mine was truly awful. they were not prepared for the crowd. The only positive thing I can say about our experience is the bartender rocked.
- Popi's Did Not Live Up to ReviewsSteveDined on 7/29/2014A lot of good reviews of Popi's convinced us to give this restaurant a try. The party of 10 ordered appetizers for the table and were disappointed. The calamari was bland and tough. So this did not bode well. The antipasto consisted of a couple of salami pieces, some canned tuna chunks, some cheese and mostly lettuce. The bruschetta was also somewhat bland - where's the garlic - and the bread was more stale than crusty. On to the main courses: The veal saltimbocca was not particularly tender, the veal with shrimp was bland and not particularly tender. The chicken Nicole was OK, smothered with blush sauce. The filet was fine, the frutta de mare was Ok and the Veal chops were very good. Would not return to this restaurant.
- Simply Perfect!JoDinesDined on 7/20/2014Had a wonderful, relaxing dinner for a family birthday celebration. Food was delicious. There were thirteen of us in the party, and everyone loved their meals. Service was great - very attentive but not intrusive. Looking forward to going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningeapoeVIPDined on 7/19/2014We started our evening with dinner at Popi's. The food is always delicious and plentiful. Our waiter, Paul, was particularly knowledgeable on the specials and the wine list. My wife had the clams, I had the shrimp fra diavolo, both were outstanding. As a precursor to the meal, I had the acini di pepe, excellent. This wonderful meal was capped off at the Tower Theater to watch Yes. Great evening...Special Features:
- AS USUALROCKVIPDined on 7/6/2014As usual everything was great, from appetizers to entrees to dessert, including the service..........I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/25/2014Overall we all had fun and enjoyed a good meal. it wasvery noisy which made it difficult to hear. great appetizers-especially eggplant rolotini and the antipasto. food was tasty except the seafood dishes ( lingiuni and clams and fruitte del mar) which were overcooked.Special Features:
- Spot on / Real Italian!JB22VIPDined on 6/22/2014Popped in early for a REAL ITALIAN dinner before a concert across the river ... The attention to detail and the clock were never out of sight. We dined on traditional Orecchiette with sausage, the stuffed rigatoni special (decadent) and served in olive oil with brocolirabe and hot sausage. Of course started with the clams white, with sauce you just don't want to give back - until you've used up every piece of bread to clean the bowl of every drop! Another stellar night! If you haven't been, you gotta try - if you have - it's time to go back! Popi's is the real deal. Good people serving great food in a wonderful setting in South Philadelphia.Special Features:
- DeliciousFreddyDined on 6/15/2014There is a reason why this restaurant has been around for years-because of its delicious food and great service. I took my dad and the family here for Father's Day. We all loved the food, Paul, our server was excellent and we enjoyed ourselves. Will definitely be back again. Great for families or for a romantic evening out.Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodWildheartRileyDined on 6/14/2014Best Veal Parm in Philadelphia, service is fantastic! Everything about this place is super! All the food is amazing!Special Features:
- Popi's PAOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014Service and food were excellent. We especially enjoyed the crab cakes. It is a wonderful local/neighborhood style restaurant. I definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Just really liked this placePHILLY4Dined on 5/31/2014Food was delicious and our server was great! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatpoppy12Dined on 5/27/2014great food, greater service. the best food in south phillySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousLuv2dineVIPDined on 5/24/2014Everything we ordered was outstanding. From the calamari to the salad to veal and Mediterranean fish and concluding with tiramisu, it was a wonderful experience. My only recommendation is to start with the tiramisu..... It is positively the best we ever hadSpecial Features:
- Very nicediningoutVIPDined on 5/20/2014Their menu seems to fit into standard Italian food. Some places try to take a modern or off the wall approach. This place was just good old fashioned Italian food. Some of their specials seemed a bit of a twist which is a good options and they had many specials. This place is not close to my normal routes but if I find myself down near the stadiums, I would definitely go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MANGIAlove2eatDined on 5/17/2014Great place for groups, reunions - the food was excellent, the service great - price was reasonable, location is perfect for those coming in from I-76, the Blue Route and Bridges - and plenty parking spaces - really can not ask for anything moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!PattiDined on 5/16/2014Nice selection of entrees and specials. Antipasto was perfect as was the veal parm. We were early dining and virtually alone so I was a little disappointed that the next diners to enter we're seated at a table right next to us when the rest of the place was empty . However by the time we finished the place was pretty well filled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrandyDined on 5/16/2014The food was very good and most of the service was also very good. Access to adequate facilities was limitedSpecial Features:
- Good, not greatsvodinesDined on 5/15/2014Good bar area, but slow the night we were there. Appetizers were very good, especially the shrimp. The entrees were fair, not great. Room for groups, which was the main point for going there.Special Features:
- GREATROCKVIPDined on 5/12/2014As usual everything was perfect, from the food to the server, Johnny D. Have never had a bad meal or bad service at Popi's.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- markbDined on 5/10/2014Overall, it was a pleasant experience. Table of 6 next to us was extremely loud which made conversation difficult. Veal was delicious. Shrimp diJon was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-game mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/29/2014Great food and perfect location for a pre-game meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnersMarkWVIPDined on 4/24/2014I had two business dinners at the restaurant, one on 4-22-14 and the other on 4-24-14 while on business in Philadelphia. This is one of my favorite restaurants. It's close to the airport and airport hotels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 448 reviews are from the Popi's Italian Restaurant reviews archive.
- Won't be returningtakemyadviseVIPDined on 4/20/2014Food was just OK, certainly not over the top dining here. Service was slow. Our party was large and apparently this restaurant is not accustomed to handling that. Just one assigned server and a mix match of staff which caused much confusion. When the dinners came out it sounded like an auctioning off of food as the food handlers yelled out orders. If someone at the table didn't respond we were looked at as it was our fault they were scrambling. So unorganized and rushed at the end our leftovers were handed back incomplete. I guess they expected us to open and verify that too. Probably could have gone next door to the Penrose Diner and had a better experience. Never again for us Popi's. Hope other large parties follow this advice.
- Great for small partiesCoryDined on 4/19/2014Dined here many times, usually with 4 people. Went there with 9 people and it was a totally different experience. Service was awful - had to go to the bar to buy a second drink. Waitress never came back to see if we were ok,which we weren't. Mixed drinks, normally perfect, had aost no alcohol (at $14 a glass). Waitress had no incentive to do well as they added on a 20% gratuity. I was very disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popi's - a neighborhood restaurantJN01Dined on 4/12/2014We had a very pleasant evening. Good was OK, service was not great but were very friendly.Special Features:
- Great Time At Popi's!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2014I always have a great time dining at Popi’s. I tried the specials on the menu and was not disappointed. Can’t wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of townersitalianfoodloverDined on 4/11/2014A great little place. Hostess and waiters were all friendly. Food was brought promptly, and was excellent. The antipasto was so good and generous, I could only eat half my dinner. They were nice enough to package up the remainder as leftovers for me. Definitely would recommend and would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!!CathyDined on 4/6/2014We have been to Popi's many over the years and have never been disappointed. We have brought different people with us before going to a Flyers or Phillies game and everyone has been impressed. The service is alway very efficient and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food!kbk618Dined on 3/28/2014I've been to Popi's several times and the food is always really good. I had the penne alla vodka with peas and it was delicious. My husband had sausage and veal scallapini (not sure it tha's spelled right) over pasta and his was also delicious. We had the chocolate cake which was good, but not my favorite. it had raspberry sauce which was just ok. waiter was excellent. always a good meal. Also the oil they give you with their bread is the best ever. Not sure what's in it, but it's so fresh and light. LOVE IT!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DependableOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/25/2014High quality classic Italian food with updated features. Professional service. Food quality and service are always consistently above average. Convenient location if you are going to an event in the Sports Complex.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No better place for a FAMILYJB22VIPDined on 3/23/2014Celebration! Always stop at Popi's when we return on a flight back into Philadelphia and this time was met with 12 additional family members to greet me. We had the larger round corner table for the adults and a nearby adjacent table for the kids. We ate and drank like Vikings and Paul our server saw to it that everything was PERFECT! Just a great family restaurant that knows how to cater to families and business clients alike. Enjoy any of their signature offerings and you will not be disappointed. Not getting the steamed mussels or clams and a loaf of bread to sop up the white sauce would be a huge mistake. From the Shirley Temples to the Crown Royal Stiletto - the bar staff is equally talented. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surpriseJeffDined on 3/21/2014We decided to head out for dinner last minute and wanted to eat Italian. We picked Popi's and crossed our fingers. We like the random chance of finding something good on Open Table. After a 30 min ride what a sweet surprise! The place was amazingly clean and the staff were as proper as can be. We are not restaurant reviewers nor do we expect too much but often times we find it surprising how many places appear to be nice on the surface but the staff just doesn't do the easy things. They were on the ball. We didn't have to ask for water or drink refills. The food came out fast and the plates were cleared almost as soon as we were done with them. We would definitely return and we hope the singer is there the next time. Wonderful find!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to stadiumsChristyDined on 3/17/2014This is an Italian gem!! Very close to the stadiums! The place is questionable from the outside but absolutly beautiful inside and very classy! The waitress was so nice n the veal Marsala was delicious! Also if you like carrot cake I would suggest it... It's big enough for two !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We dine here every time weOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/10/2014We dine here every time we come to Philly on business. It's usually wonderful but this time it wasn't up to par. My special of tilapia had very little flavor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Option near the StadiumJcg728VIPDined on 3/7/2014Good solid Italian food right around the corner from Wells Fargo Center where we had a concert. Service was outstanding helping us to get out on time. Eating here took the pressure off and provided a relaxing oasis before a hectic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family owned Italian restaurantWellsfesDined on 3/1/2014Family owned Italian restaurant with reasonably priced offerings in close proximity to sports arenas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice. good food and selection.bmoyerDined on 2/28/2014very nice. good food and selection. waiter was very good and everyone was friendly. will goo back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.