Pope's Tavern at the Oxford Inn
504 S. Morris St.
Oxford, MD 21645Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Pope's Tavern at the Oxford Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oxfordinn.net/dining.html
- Phone: 410-226-5220
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Lisa MacDougal
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Intimate private dining room accommodates up to 12 guests
- Private Party Contact: Lisa MacDougal 410-226-5220
A word from Pope's Tavern at the Oxford Inn
Set in a quaint 19th century inn overlooking the creek in charming Oxford, an "Eastern Shore Gem" is what Zagat and others call Pope's Tavern at the Oxford Inn. Come and enjoy Chef/Owner Lisa MacDougal's ernest New American fare showcasing the season's finest ingredients. Sample our hand selected wine list featuring 100 boutique wines, including many by the glass. Whether you choose the cozy dining room, the intimate private dining room, the waterviews from the porch or the comradery of the bar, Pope's Tavern promises to deliver a great dining experience. And, don't forget to ask about our lodging and dining special packages.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Pope's Tavern at the Oxford Inn - Best Restaurants in Oxford ›
Pope's Tavern at the Oxford Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (24)special occasion (22)romantic (21)notable wine list (18)great for outdoor dining (17)good for groups (9)scenic view (7)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- charming town taverncec516Dined on 10/13/2014I took my fiance here for dinner just prior to asking her to marry me. The service was great and everyone was very friendly. Their menu had great choices for the red meat lover in me and the lactose intolerance of her. The food was outstanding and served in a reasonable time. I highly recommend this place for date nights. Only problem we had were a lot of nats flying around our faces and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice!CATLADYDined on 10/11/2014We arrived early, but were immediately seated. Very pleasant service. We loved the hard on the outside/chewy on the inside dinner rolls & olive oil dipping sauce. The sauce had crushed roasted garlic & other herbs and spices -- very tasty. My husband had a correctly-made Manhattan; I had a very tasty, spicy but not too spicy, non-alcoholic Bloody Mary. Both my hubby & I had the house salad w/the Parmesan crisp on the side & grated Parmesan cheese on top -- extremely fresh; simple but tasty. I had a filet w/garlic mashed potatoes stuffed in some type of tortilla-shaped roll (looked like a cannoli/the Italian dessert) - it was different & delish! My steak was good, cooked correctly. The grilled Brussell Sprouts were incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Supper on the PorchlawdudeVIPDined on 9/12/2014The perfect way to end a day on which late summer heat and humidity gave way to refreshing September air was an early evening supper outside on the porch at Pope's Tavern. First course was a very creative crab soup that, like every bowl of soup I've ever had at Pope's, was delicious. Then, the salmon entree special. One of the rules that I follow when dining at Pope's Tavern is this: when they offer salmon, order the salmon. And, as always, this salmon was superb. A great meal on a great night at a great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Great food and service and atmosphere, a restaurant for events as well as weekly dining. You will never go wrong with this very special place whether at the bar, porch, or main dining room.Special Features:
- Popes TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/31/2014Vrery nice surprise on the Eastern Shore. Very good food, crab cakes were exceptional .Special Features:
- Dinner with the wife and songator1466VIPDined on 8/29/2014Food and service was great. Everyone ordered something different and all were very pleased. Only downer was no beer on tap and limited selection.Special Features:
- Great!bdial1Dined on 8/25/2014Excellent in every respect. View down Town Creek, regardless of season, is delightful. Coupled with great food, service, ambiance and conviviality and a magical experience is achieved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wesailanddineVIPDined on 8/23/2014One of our favorite dining spots. We love to take friends over on the boat from annapolis and enjoy dinner at Pope's Tavern. Great food - cozy ambiance - good wine - We have Never had a bad dining experience and the service is exceptional. We are also kinda obsessed with the popemobile. Cheers to Dan and Lisa!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperiencePBandMSDined on 8/23/2014We celebrated our 45th anniversary at Pope's. We were seated promptly (had reservations) & served drinks promptly. Food was excellent, I don't think you can make a poor choice. It's a bit noisey and was filled with locals (a good sign). We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealStuartDined on 8/17/2014Pope's Tavern was a unique find and provided an enjoyable, tasty evening meal for a special occasion. While the menu was a bit limited, it aptly reflected the ambiance of Maryland's Eastern Shore. Our only concern was the noise level in the main dining area; it was a bit difficult to hold a conversation with one's dinner partner(s). We were visitors to the area but the tavern was clearly a favorite spot of locals.Special Features:
- OutstandingLocalVIPDined on 8/17/2014We really enjoyed Pope's Tavern. We had been wanting to try it for years and finally went for a birthday dinner. The menu had soe many great items, it was hard to choose. The BLT salad was excellent, the Antipasto appetizer had unique offerings. Very good. Seared tuna was tender and cooked rare to perfection. The special of the day Flounder with lemon caper butter was a hit. We shall definitely return soon.Special Features:
- Superb, as always!lawdudeVIPDined on 8/10/2014Enjoyed another superb meal at Pope's Tavern on Sunday night of Oxford Regatta weekend. Even though we heard that the restaurant had been extremely busy with reservations and walk-ins on both Friday and Saturday, the food and service that we received couldn't have been better. As always, the servers were friendly and professional, and the food was delicious.This place is always exactly what I want it to be -- whether I want great food while having a serious conversation at a corner table or while celebrating a special occasion with a group of friends; whether I want something new from the always interesting specials or something familiar from the menu; whether I want consistently fresh seafood or a perfectly cooked steak. I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend getawayShoreguidoDined on 8/2/2014My girlfriend and I had a lovely meal at the Tavern. We sat outside, which offers an oblique view of the water. The food was excellent quality but not particularly interesting. That said, it was within walking distance from our bed and breakfast and would certainly go back.Special Features:
- ScrumptiousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The food was beautiful in appearance and taste! The chef is among the very best. One of us had the largest, most delicious, most binder free crab cake we have ever seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic menuOxfordDined on 7/19/2014This is a great upscale seaside restaurant with tbe best most creative seafood around. All vegetables are fresh from the garden and the desserts are divine. Wine pairings always seem to be spot on. We try to go at least once a week while we are here for the summerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FishwifeCrewDined on 7/11/2014Best soft shell crabs on the Eastern Shore - hands down. Consistently solid, top flight jewel of a dining spot.Special Features:
- An Old FavoriteWillbebackDined on 7/5/2014Everything was great after we saw a party of 7 sit next us and we asked if we could move to the porch. It was a gorgeous night so we loved being outside. Very fresh and well prepared. Suggest ordering rare versus medium rare if you want "no brown". Varied menu gives lots of choices for every taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Fit for a PoperockhalljimDined on 6/29/2014A wonderful place to enjoy a dining experience and a relaxing evening. Whether at the bar or sitting inside or out, the service, ambiance and attention to detail and the customer is at the top. The food - choices, preparation, presentation and most importantly taste is the best in Oxford, MD and one of the best on the Eastern Shore. Wine list is capable of meeting anyone's tastes and budget and has some really good finds. Add the "English Taxi" that will come and pick you up at your hotel, Inn or Marina and you have all that you need to enjoy yourself, your companion and your evening.Special Features:
- The following 172 reviews are from the Pope's Tavern at the Oxford Inn reviews archive.
- Dining at the Oxford InnangieDined on 6/12/2014The owners are very friendly. They will pick you up and give you a ride back to where you are staying. The food is outstanding.The Ahi tuna was among the best we ever had. Everything is made from scratch. The rolls served with roasted garlic and olive oil are excellent. Good wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MoonbeamVIPDined on 6/7/2014Food appeared to be hastily prepared and the chef spent more time with patrons than in the kitchen...Special Features:
- Amazing serviceWanderSteveVIPDined on 6/7/2014Had to make a special request (carbo loading for a 70.3 Ironman event) and the server and chef were incredibly accommodating. Very nice people. Outstanding food. When in the area again, will make a point to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemBruceDined on 5/31/2014It's great to have a restaurant that offers great food in an historic building within walking distance. The service is attentive, the food excellent, and the atmosphere friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningRescriticVIPDined on 5/25/2014Visiting Oxford for the first time. Had a lovely meal. Waitress was adorable and helpful. Nice experienceSpecial Features:
- Always great!wyerivermarineVIPDined on 5/24/2014Lisa, owner and chef, consistently delivers an excellent meal while husband Dan insures you have a great time. One of our favorite restaurants. Definitely a "must go" if you're visiting the Eastern Shore.Special Features:
- First Time DinerRKohDined on 5/22/2014My wife and I ate dinner at Pope's during our stay at a B&B in Oxford, MD. We asked to be seated before our reservation and that was no problem. It is an interesting building and while the dining area is small there is a cozy bar built into a corner where some people gathered for a drink and conversation. I had the grilled beef tenderloin, which was top shelf. My wife had the skate (seafood) and enjoyed hers also. What really impressed were the BLT salad (best bacon I've tasted in some time) and the artichoke hearts which were fried and came with a sauce that was just fantastic. The only drawback was a table of 8 who became loud in a nice jovial way... it was probably a family outing. Staff was great and we'll certainly return.Special Features:
- Good for a getawayToCCResidentVIPDined on 5/22/2014We were on a trip to Oxford, MD for a short getaway. The town offers this and one other fine dining experience. The staff treated us nicely. The menu was rather brief, but this may allow the kitchen to keep its focus to create memorable dishes. The wine list was quite extensive, with a wide range of per bottle prices. There was a large family party with young children. That meant quite a lot of movement and rather animated conversation at a decibel level that allowed everyone at the Table of 12 to hear each other. I don't hold that agains the establishment, but smaller parties might want to dine on the porch (weather permitting). Oxford is an exceedingly pleasant town. It is also a favorite port for curing sailboats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we've done it againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2014Yes, we have come again. And *****and we will continue to return to this gem. It is a true find in this historic town. Try it and you too will catch the allure of a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oxford find!wellfedDined on 4/25/2014delicious food -- friendly staff-- in a wonderful town by water's edgeSpecial Features:
- A consistant Gem.MichaelVIPDined on 4/5/2014I have never been to Popes when it wasn't excellent !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week DininglocaldinerDined on 4/5/2014After looking at all the places we could go for restaurant week, we chose this one because of the menu and its our old standby for special occasions! In other words, we went to the same place we always go despite all the other places on the list! It was the last night of restaurant week so we were thrilled to get a reservation. We ended up eating at the bar where we always eat when its just the two of us. The owner Dan was at the bar too and he is very entertaining. The chef Lisa stopped by to say hello. It was a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceDonnaDined on 4/5/2014Every chance we get when in Oxford, we dine at Pope's - sometimes at the bar and sometimes in the dining room. The consistency of experience is amazing. The food and service are exceptional. The owners Lisa and Dan are on hand to ensure everything runs smoothly both in the kitchen and in the front of the house.Special Features:
- What a pleasant surpriseadchotinVIPDined on 4/5/2014Seeking someplace special for an anniversary is a daunting task. We heard about Pope's Tavern and, not having visited Oxford for years, decided to take the leap. Pope's Tavern is a a very attractive venue on the first floor of the Oxford Inn. The room is divided into a dining room located to the left of the bar and the bar itself on the right. We didn't know when we booked but it was Restaurant Week in Talbot County. Restaurant Week is generally a mixed blessing but here it was all positive. Escargots for my wife and a goat cheese souffle for me. Monkfish and veal were the main course accompanied by risotto and a Parmesan pasta cake. Dessert was creme brule and pineapple bread pudding. The main menu was similarly wonderful. This is a find!Special Features:
- we loved having the roundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014we loved having the round table in the private dining room ... I marked the food down because i do believe in feedback and we honestly did not think the two desserts we ordered for the table were very good. The rest of the food was wonderful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy night at Pope's tavernlesnomadesVIPDined on 3/8/2014We went on a weekend night, the restaurant was crowded, but we were seated quickly. The tin pressed ceiling really reflects sound, so that when crowded, the noise level makes it difficult to hear the person sitting across the table to you. The oysters were fresh and delicious raw and Pope style. I found the fish a little undercooked, but other diners thought it fine. Dessert was very good. Service was a little spotty. If you can tolerate the noise level, Pope's Tavern is a good choice.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceBruceDined on 2/20/2014On a recent Thursday night, three of us had a great dinner at Pope's Tavern. It was great because the strip steak with frites was the best ever, it was quiet (not always the case), the service was friendly, but professional, and the total tab very reasonable (Thursday night offers $5 for wine and mixed drinks). This is a special place that should be supported by "natives" and tourists alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/31/2014We have eaten at this restaurant since we moved here in 2007. We always have good food and attentive and knowledgeable service. On a recent visit, the server researched and found out which wine we had ordered on a previous visit. The atmosphere is relaxed, but efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, really slow servicejcbohnVIPDined on 1/24/2014We got our wine somewhat quickly but didn't have our order taken for 40 minutes and starters didn't appear for another 25 minutes. Excruciatingly slow!! Restaurant wasn't even close to full, must have had kitchen troubles, but still very annoying. Food when it came was fine. Will hesitate to go again just because of service.
- Another great meal at Pope'swyerivermarineVIPDined on 1/18/2014Another great meal at Pope's Tavern. My flounder was cooked perfectly. Nice and moist with plenty of flavor. My wife's filet was excellent. All in all a great meal and a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a wonderful place! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013Just a wonderful place! The dinning is always fabulous! Staff is always energetic . Owner and chef are present and check on customers!Special Features:
- Perfect New Year;s EveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2013One could choose from a special gala menu or order from an a la carte menu; we chose the latter and had delicious Pope's style oysters, followed by a salad and a perfectly cooked filet and a super Tuscan wine. Our server was cheerful and efficient; the noise level was energetic, but not overwhelming; we had no trouble carrying on a conversation. Gold and black balloons hanging from the tin ceiling gave a festive air and some contained slips of paper offering a free drink, discount or dessert on a future visit. Lovely, comfortable, low-key new year's eve.Special Features: