510 Piedmont Ave, NE
Atlanta, GA 30308Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poorcalvins.com/
- Phone: (404) 254-4051
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm (CLOSED Monday for Lunch)
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
BRUNCH: Saturday and Sunday 12:00-3:00pm
$3.00 drink specials. Bottomless has been discontinued.
FREE Car Service, provided by Uber, for all Midtown and Downtown hotel guests. Call for scheduling or mention in your reservation notes. The host/hostess will contact you prior to your reservation time.
15% off entire food purchase when you show your FOX theatre ticket stub for an evening show.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Southern, Asian
- Executive Chef: Calvin Phan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: E-mail Allende Clark, at firstname.lastname@example.org for catering service availabilities and details.
Personal Delivery available at zifty.com
- Entertainment: THURSDAYS: 7:00pm
Endless house red and white wine only $15.00
The ambiance fills the restaurant, from live music played by a superb group of musicians. Make reservations today for a weeknight you won't soon forget!
- Special Events: Weekend Brunch:
Sat and Sunday 11am-3pm Asian inspired brunch...including: Chicken & waffle, Omelette in the Pot, Lamb Burger and more.
Drink Specials on all Hair of the Dog cocktails. Including: Mimosa, Bloody Mary's, Screw Driver, Sangria and more.
- Cross Street: Renaissance Parkway
- Public Transit: A short walk from Civic Center and North Ave. Marta train stations.
FREE Car Service, provided by Uber, for all Midtown and Downtown hotel guests. Call for scheduling or mention in your reservation notes. The host/hostess will contact you prior to your reservation time.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking lot adjacent to restaurant, with additional street parking along Piedmont and Renaissance (No Parking Fee).
***Be mindful of signage***
Friday and Saturday: VALET
Complimentary valet provided by City Parking Solutions Inc. Additional parking along Piedmont and Renaissance with side walk to restaurant. Poor Calvin's cannot guarantee parking.
A word from Poor Calvin's
We know the word "fusion" has been wielded about to justify everything from Hula Burgers to Mexican lasagna. But the East-meets-South brand of fusion happening at Poor Calvin's? It's creative; it's innovative; and it's probably unlike anything you've tasted in the ATL. After working in kitchens around the world, Calvin Phan wanted to shake things up a little. And so, into the mac 'n cheese, the Thai spices went. Now, Calvin's giving Southern staples, like sea bass and fried chicken, a decidedly creative Asian-inspired twist (and a nip of spice, too). We didn't think good old-fashioned mac 'n cheese could get much better. And then, we tried Calvin's ridiculously rich take on the cheesy classic, gussied up with chunks of lobster and given a zing with Thai spices. This, and more innovative dishes, approached in much the same way, leave the hands of Calvin Phan day in and day out. His dedication and attention to detail are evident in each dish and dessert. You won't be disappointed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Poor Calvin's reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (133)neighborhood gem (118)great for brunch (60)romantic (58)hot spot (55)special occasion (53)good for groups (49)great for lunch (37)great for outdoor dining (32)vibrant bar scene (32)late-night find (24)scenic view (13)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Great food and cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014We were first-timers, and were very impressed. With the exception of the hostess, the wait staff were exceptionally friendly and welcoming. The food was divine, and the cocktails were amazing! The Dixie Derby cocktail specifically was great. The food was appetizing and wonderfully seasoned,with good size portions. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Calvins does not need pity!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2014The one thing that stands out about this restaurant beyond great ambience, the service, the quality large quantity and amazing taste of the food is this restaurant does whatever is necessary to please you, the guest. The plates were plentiful. The service was impeccable. The quantity of the food was overwhelming. I will be sure to return to Poor Calvins!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Poor Calvin'sGAFoodieDined on 11/21/2014This place is a neighborhood gem, seemingly hidden from even the locals yet obviously for some in the know since it was packed! Their dishes fairly pop with flavor, and their service is obviously well versed in the menu and very enthusiastic about the food. Lola was our server and she knew every nook and cranny of the menu and offered it up with such flair that we'd go back just for her!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uber, Lola, Food, LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I had a great experience at Poor Calvin's. One of my old friends was visiting from out of town and wanted some Thai food. I went on line and found Poor Calvin's as it was close to the hotel (near Peachtree Center). I had never used the Uber service before, so I gave it a try. The Uber will pick you up from your downtown hotel since the restaurant is in close vicinity. You can have the restaurant call or use the smartphone app for Ubers; great service. The waitress we had was Lola (Falana-Sha-na-na-na) lol! She was awesome: very courteous, friendly, energetic, and knowledgeable of the restaurant and menu. They catered to my friend's vegan diet with a Pad Thai dish made with Tofu, and I had the Curry Haddock. Both dishes were very spicy and delicious. We did not order dessert, but we saw the red velvet cake slice and it was massive. I will definitely go back to Poor Calvin's and I am already telling all my friends about it. In the words of Lola, "SHA-NA-NA!" lol!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014The food exceeded our expectations. It is a bit noisy and seating is crowded but will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service with a smileCarylVIPDined on 11/14/2014My husband, son (17) and I stopped by for a bit before going to the Fox. We were running late, so we were those pesky "we have a deadline" folks, but that did not deter the manager or the servers. Everything came out on a timely basis. Food was excellent and we made our show with a minute to spare. I work really close and did not know about this great place until recently. We will definitely return and look forward to a more leisurely pace next time. Thanks to all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazing!misspickyDined on 11/14/2014Okay so I am the pickiest person when it comes to food so I chose this place for my boyfriend's birthday. The entire experience from our bourbon cocktails to the lobster mac n cheese was incredible. We are definitely going to be regulars now! The entire staff was amazing and the food came out of the kitchen in perfect timing. I've been in Atlanta for over 10 yrs and never had a better meal at a reasonable price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoritecmaxbattDined on 11/9/2014Fantastic food, fantastic service. Will definitely be going back agai .Special Features:
- awesome mealteebizzyDined on 11/8/2014i had heard so much about the lobster mac and cheese i had to try it. the restaurant is small and quaint, and depending on where you sit you will be able to hear the other table's conversation. however, the music drowned most of that out and the delicious food made everything just fine. we ordered the fried chicken with lobster mac and cheese and asparagus. the drinks were mixed just right and our server was very attentive. i will definitely come back to try the brunch.
- Great experienceluvfudVIPDined on 11/8/2014Food was fabulous. Service very good, a little unpolished but acceptable and pleasant. Hostess, somewhat rude with an attitude, but we ignored her (not a good way to start off the experience but it quickly improved after she was out of the picture). Sweet potato pancakes stuffed with pulled pork, interesting combo. Coconut thai soup, superb. Dumplings, superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From Carolina ;)CarolinaDined on 11/7/2014Excellent!!!!! Food was great and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- She3She3Dined on 11/7/2014Went with 4 of my favorite girls and had a great time. They really enjoyed the food and the Sangria. The service was great and the waiters recommendations were right on target!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Precious GemDoc038Dined on 11/7/2014Poor Calvin's is a precious gem, nestled away near downtown. The lobster Mac and Cheese is a must. I couldn't wait to try it after reading other reviews. Also the lobster fried rice will not dissappoint. My only disappointment was that they were out of the calamari (sad face)!! I have already recommended Poor Calvin's to several friends and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Started at the bar and the bartender is a fabulous mixologist! Very creative. Staff absolutely top quality service start to finish. The meal was outstanding, fresh, delicious, and our group was blown away! We tried everything from Duck appetizer to lobster fried rice. I am a picky foodie and there is nothing i can say that is negative!!! I would go back in a second!!!Special Features:
- UnbelievablemalaDined on 11/4/2014The chef mixes foods and sauces in a way that leave you smiling all day - this is absolutely the best restaurant in Atlanta.Special Features:
- Great FindpickyeaterDined on 11/1/2014Four of us dined at Poor Calvin's prior to going to the Fox, the food was delicious! All of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals and found the menu had something to appeal to everyone. The thai grouper and lamb are outstanding as was the chocolate and banana skillet cake. O found prices to be very reasonable for the quality and portions (they are large) that you get, we will definitely return.Special Features:
- My wife and ITravlinthesoutheastDined on 10/29/2014That bartender recommended some drinks for my sore throat. The server recommended the coconut shrimp for an appetizer her and then we enjoyed the meal scallops and shrimp and ended with dessert the chocolate cake. We even had an opportunity to chat with the owner and chef he spent about 15 minutes chatting with us and telling us about his life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfully surprisedGlobalfoodexplorerDined on 10/25/2014We came here for my hubby's birthday, kinda nervous because my hubby is a typical Southern man who loves fried chicken, fried fish and more fried chicken. I ordered the Red grouper Thai curry and surprising he followed suit. He ordered it because the fish will be fried, I think. I ordered New Zealand rack of lamb. We also ordered calamari as our appetizer. I wanted to sample the chicken coconut soup. Everything we ordered was cooked to perfection. For dessert, we ordered the Suspen cake, which topped the awesome eating experience. The cake is moist and not overpowering sweet. I would certainly go back to try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night SpotGreatDateNightDined on 10/25/2014Really enjoyed Poor Calvin's. The ambiance was great with nice music playing in the background. The restaurant was clean, the service was top notch and the food was excellent. Our waiter took very good care of us. The scallop with grits was delicious and I would love to try other items on the menu.Special Features:
- nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014it was great. I love ms.loya she made the experience even better. I will be going back soon.Special Features:
- Bestie time!ABandCDDined on 10/17/2014My BFF and I went for dinner after a long trying week. We had a blast, food is good and service is better. I tried the calamari it's not the best and the Mac and cheese was a little cold it came with my fried chicken dish. But everything else was amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very solid performanceTheBoldDined on 10/17/2014Had read the great reviews and our experience held true. Service was friendly and attentive. There when we needed him but didn't disrupt the conversation. Appetizers were as described but not really shareable as advertised. Entrees were nicely proportioned...not as much of a Thai influence as we would have hoped for...fell more on the comfort side than Thai but still very tasty. Wine list was small but well designed and has something for every palate. Seating arragements don't encourage you to linger and noise level is a bit high so not a good business dinner selection but you won' be disappointed for a dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool vibes spot for foodiesFirsttimerDined on 10/17/2014Restaurant with a cool vibe and late arriving crowd that's convenient to downtown hotels. Fabulous scallop cerviche and striped sea bass entree. Hummingbird cake is to die for and perfect for sharing. Staff and management are friendly and provide excellent recommendations. Valet parking available.Special Features:
- Funky place, great good and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/11/2014Found this place on Opentable and it was great. The Calvin Fusion drink was very yummy. Had the basil rolls, crispy beef, and fried red grouper in curry. All was fantastic. We were ooing and ahhing over what our neighbors ordered (fried chicken, prime rib, pineapple fried rice) and immediately decided we have to come back and we'll bring friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!CrumsyPDined on 10/10/2014They accommodated change in party size at last minute from 2 to 6 people. Started with great cocktails at the bar....then onto fantastic appetizers. Highly recommend the maple duck wontons and fried goat cheese. Entrees were Fabulous with lobster fried rice and fried chicken with lobster mac and cheese as the favorites. Server was excellent...got us to our show at the fox on time. Overall a wonderful dinner! Would highly recommend. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unbelievable servicedctravelerDined on 10/7/2014Writing my first review because Poor Calvin's was that good. I've eaten there twice. The food: awesome. The service: off the charts. Someone in our party wanted a very sugar-light meal because of a diet she was on. Calvin himself came out to discuss what he could prepare special for her. Would recommend this place to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Music Selection Made Up For It.PoisedNIvy2Dined on 10/5/2014I was disappointed that the bottomless mimosas was a thing of the past...or the server was trying to hold out on us. Even though the bottomless mimosas were gone, the food was satisfactory and for a party of 10, the server did an excellent job in tending to our needs as well. If I return for lunch, I believe I will try the shrimp and grits if they are on the menu again.Special Features:
- Outstanding!RickVIPDined on 10/3/2014I had a great meal here. The food and drink were outstanding. Very creative menu. I had a hard time deciding what I wanted. I ended up going for the crispy beef, and it was fantastic! The server was exactly what a server should be. Knowledgeable, excited about the menu, helpful, attentive (but not overly so), and friendly. I'll definitely go back next time I'm in Atlanta, to keep going down the menu to try something else.Special Features:
- cjxxVIPDined on 9/28/2014I had a wonderful experience dinging at Poor Calvin's. The staff was super friendly; however, the service at our table was a little slow at times. Overall, it was a great meal and I look forward to returning to try additional dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findATLyumDined on 9/27/2014Everything we ordered was absolutely delicious, the Seafood Spring Rolls and Shrimp and Scallop Siam were incredible! The scallops were huge and so flavorful. The ambiance is trendy and vibrant, puts you in the mood for cocktails and a night out! Our waitress, Lola, was so wonderful and full of energy, she was a real treat. I would definitely recommend this place for a date or a stepped up night out with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best...lovepoorcalvinsDined on 9/25/2014We wanted a fun, good and delicious dining experience... and we found all 3 in Poor Calvin's... Really good food, great ambiance, great staff and service... simply the best restaurant i've gone to in ATL... You can't beat it!!! The Best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great OpenTable recommendation!vhollywoodDined on 9/25/2014What a great find. Incredible service, great ambiance (we sat on the patio), and very yummy food. The food was wonderfully flavorful and had a great presentation. We had the lobster mac and cheese, lobster rice dish and the shrimp rice dish. Sorry - cannot remember them by name. But, I remember how delicious they were! Finally, the music was a great final touch to an awesome experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Eats!gludocDined on 9/21/2014Original and creative food, friendly staff, would definitely go again!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceRyanVIPDined on 9/19/2014My wife and I went to Poor Calvin's after a concert, and this place was still hopping at 10PM on a Friday night. The restaurant isn't very large, so don't come here expecting a nice quiet, private table. The service was great, and the food was outstanding. We decided to share a mixture of small bites and one of the entrees. The fried goat cheese was our favorite, and I don't even care that much for goat cheese. We'd also recommend the red grouper thai curry. I'd easily come back here when I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Calvin's - Rich ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014As a New Orleans native this place been the best find since relocating. Food, drinks, service, atmosphere and very friendly staff. Just like being homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014A wonderfully friendly, affirming bar where everyone feels welcome. The food and bar service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The reviews are rightRandomDinerDined on 9/16/2014Picked this restaurant solely based on previous reviews and they were right on. Poor Calvin's is a fantastic find. Nothing poor about it.Special Features:
- What a Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/14/2014Absolute surprise! Excellent cuisine! Wonderful staff! Had a great time and will refer to my other colleagues and friends. Had a very pleasant dining experience and every bite of my grouper was like "a slice of heaven".Special Features:
- Salty foodbirthdayjoyDined on 9/13/2014Pricey, beautiful food presentation but the food was VERY salty. Out of a few of the specialty drinks by 8:30. Server was difficult to understand; English was a 2nd language. Overall good but my group of 7 was a little disappointed.Special Features:
- DisappointedBirdieDined on 9/13/2014I'm giving two stars for food. We ordered the Pad Thai, duck, stuffed olives, tom yum soup. Pad Thai was dry and lacked any sauce. The duck was a little chewy. The stuffed olives are a bit on the salty side. I'm giving 2 stars for the food and an additional star for the wait staff. However the valet deserves 5 stars for the assistance we received with my disabled aunt. He's a keeper!