510 Piedmont Ave, NE
Atlanta, GA 30308Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poorcalvins.com/
- Phone: 4042544051x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm (CLOSED Monday for Lunch)
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
BRUNCH: Saturday and Sunday 12:00-3:00pm
$3.00 drink specials. Bottomless has been discontinued.
FREE Car Service, provided by Uber, for all Midtown and Downtown hotel guests. Call for scheduling or mention in your reservation notes. The host/hostess will contact you prior to your reservation time.
COMPLIMENTARY glass of wine with your Entree, when you show your FOX Theatre ticket
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Southern, Asian
- Executive Chef: Calvin Phan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: E-mail Allende Clark, at email@example.com for catering service availabilities and details.
Personal Delivery available at zifty.com
- Entertainment: THURSDAYS: 7:00pm
Endless house red and white wine only $15.00
The ambiance fills the restaurant, from live music played by a superb group of musicians. Make reservations today for a weeknight you won't soon forget!
- Special Events: Weekend Brunch:
Sat and Sunday 11am-3pm Asian inspired brunch...including: Chicken & waffle, Omelette in the Pot, Lamb Burger and more.
Drink Specials on all Hair of the Dog cocktails. Including: Mimosa, Bloody Mary's, Screw Driver, Sangria and more.
- Cross Street: Renaissance Parkway
- Public Transit: A short walk from Civic Center and North Ave. Marta train stations.
FREE Car Service, provided by Uber, for all Midtown and Downtown hotel guests. Call for scheduling or mention in your reservation notes. The host/hostess will contact you prior to your reservation time.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking lot adjacent to restaurant, with additional street parking along Piedmont and Renaissance (No Parking Fee).
***Be mindful of signage***
Friday and Saturday: VALET
Complimentary valet provided by City Parking Solutions Inc. Additional parking along Piedmont and Renaissance with side walk to restaurant. Poor Calvin's cannot guarantee parking.
A word from Poor Calvin's
We know the word "fusion" has been wielded about to justify everything from Hula Burgers to Mexican lasagna. But the East-meets-South brand of fusion happening at Poor Calvin's? It's creative; it's innovative; and it's probably unlike anything you've tasted in the ATL. After working in kitchens around the world, Calvin Phan wanted to shake things up a little. And so, into the mac 'n cheese, the Thai spices went. Now, Calvin's giving Southern staples, like sea bass and fried chicken, a decidedly creative Asian-inspired twist (and a nip of spice, too). We didn't think good old-fashioned mac 'n cheese could get much better. And then, we tried Calvin's ridiculously rich take on the cheesy classic, gussied up with chunks of lobster and given a zing with Thai spices. This, and more innovative dishes, approached in much the same way, leave the hands of Calvin Phan day in and day out. His dedication and attention to detail are evident in each dish and dessert. You won't be disappointed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Poor Calvin's reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (136)neighborhood gem (114)great for brunch (70)special occasion (66)romantic (61)hot spot (54)good for groups (52)great for lunch (46)late-night find (33)vibrant bar scene (30)great for outdoor dining (24)scenic view (10)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Excellent food and serviceRyanVIPDined on 9/19/2014My wife and I went to Poor Calvin's after a concert, and this place was still hopping at 10PM on a Friday night. The restaurant isn't very large, so don't come here expecting a nice quiet, private table. The service was great, and the food was outstanding. We decided to share a mixture of small bites and one of the entrees. The fried goat cheese was our favorite, and I don't even care that much for goat cheese. We'd also recommend the red grouper thai curry. I'd easily come back here when I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Calvin's - Rich ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014As a New Orleans native this place been the best find since relocating. Food, drinks, service, atmosphere and very friendly staff. Just like being homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014A wonderfully friendly, affirming bar where everyone feels welcome. The food and bar service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/14/2014Absolute surprise! Excellent cuisine! Wonderful staff! Had a great time and will refer to my other colleagues and friends. Had a very pleasant dining experience and every bite of my grouper was like "a slice of heaven".Special Features:
- Salty foodbirthdayjoyDined on 9/13/2014Pricey, beautiful food presentation but the food was VERY salty. Out of a few of the specialty drinks by 8:30. Server was difficult to understand; English was a 2nd language. Overall good but my group of 7 was a little disappointed.Special Features:
- DisappointedBirdieDined on 9/13/2014I'm giving two stars for food. We ordered the Pad Thai, duck, stuffed olives, tom yum soup. Pad Thai was dry and lacked any sauce. The duck was a little chewy. The stuffed olives are a bit on the salty side. I'm giving 2 stars for the food and an additional star for the wait staff. However the valet deserves 5 stars for the assistance we received with my disabled aunt. He's a keeper!
- delish Calvin!CarolbroDined on 9/11/2014The food and ambience were amazing. The manager and host were great too!! We got a free uber ride home (Calvin ' s offers this). The only downside was that you pass through a shady area of town...but once you walk into poor Calvins you'd never know!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FINDfoodjunkieDined on 9/7/2014I work in hospitality and always told my guest about this restaurant never being able to try it myself. One of the guest loved it sooo much that they brought me a gift card (what better way to FINALLY get to experience this great place right?!?!?) I LOVE it!!!!! Great atmosphere, the food (OH MY GOSH GREAT!) The servers are fun and very knowledgeable. I will be returning and taking my mom who is a newly graduated culinary student to enjoy this wonderful placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!DeenieMartiniDined on 9/6/2014I really enjoyed the Lobster Fried Rice! A little snug in the restaurant but enjoyed it!! Mac was a great waiter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST Kept Secret!MrsMooreDined on 9/6/2014Poor Calvin's was recommended by my mom to attend. Although the name was curious sounding, the food was impeccable!!! I had never taste a lobster Mac and cheese as good as that! Even the coffee was savory and I didn't want it to end! I made up my own reasoning for why they call it "Poor Calvin's". They call it that because poor ole Calvin probably never gets a break from cooking all that delicious food! It's probably always in high demand every day and every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew Unicorns tasted so good!4RealTAZDined on 9/6/2014A small group of friends came together to celebrate birthday for brunch. The fun begins with Lola our server; she kept it fun & was attentive. The food was amazing! Eggs benedict... Unicorn fish... lobster wontons... Dessert Apple! (If you don't like sweet potatoes, stay away from the waffle). We were talking about coming back before we finished our food. I know I have to go back because they ran out of their custom blended grits & wifey wanted that. Treat yourself to a Poor Calvin's experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific little restaurantNeighbordeanDined on 9/5/2014Easy access. Terrific service. Very nice wine list with helpful suggestions from the staff. The food is adventurous and tasty. Can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is SuperbLoveAtlantaFishMarketDined on 8/31/2014That is it, FOOD SUPERB!!! The place is a little too noisey for me so if I want a romantic setting, this place would not be it, but the noise will not keep me away from their menu! Great for group gathering!Special Features:
- Excellent!IbbuutifulDined on 8/31/2014I've been here for brunch twice on Sundays. The 1st time u was with a group that didn't have reservations so we waited over an 1 1/2 hours for a table. The food was so good that I decided to bring my husband fis bday. I was sure to make a reservation this time however I didn't know that I wouldn't be seated unless my entire party was there. They no longer do bottomless as of a couple of weeks ago, part of my reason for choosing to do a birthday brunch here, therefore I was a little disappointed. However James the bartender is wonderful! His professionalism & enthusiasm is unmatched! The food is 5 star & my waiter Tim was everything! He took pics for us on his phone & sent them to us. It was definitely worth the wait! Do make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- That cake!!luvthisplaceDined on 8/30/2014That toasted pound cake is to die for! I loved it. I enjoyed the dumplings and the lobster won tons was awesome. Overall everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite RestaurantRichaardGRhodesVIPDined on 8/30/2014Extent my birthday to include the whole month of August, Gary U took me to brunch at my favorite Atlanta Restaurant "Poor Calvin's". I had an item off the small bites list - Lobster mac & cheese. It was delicious. Tim was our waiter, charming & efficient. Lola made my Manhattan. James the host & Chef Calvin stopped by our table to chat. Not only is their food great, they treat my guest & me like Royalty. So glad I found this restaurant 18 months ago - never had a bad meal or a complaint about "Poor Calvin's". Try It You Will Like It.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute find = gemjqrichmondDined on 8/29/2014Last minute on-line check of Atlanta Thai restaurants pointed us to Poor Calvin's. Lovely meal, cool atmosphere, good service. The only issue might be the parking but the complimentary valet parking helps and the valet was pleasant and was working it as well as possible.Special Features:
- AmazingFoodiecopDined on 8/25/2014Great experience for your tastebuds. The staff was very friendly and had great suggestions on what to get for our first time. Everything tasted great and had plenty of left oversSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first dinnermikeyDined on 8/22/2014Our servers were excellent, knowledgeable and their service was great. Food was great. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicemidtownerVIPDined on 8/17/2014We were enticed to check out Poor Calvin's because of the interesting menu posted during Downtown Restaurant week. Both of us tried different dishes and were pleased. Lobster fried rice (large tender and succulent fried lobster tail) and perfectly prepared lamb chops and tasty vegetables and mashed potatoes. Most dishes include a mix of sweet, spicy and savory. This is a laid back neighborhood hangout in a funky space with a Thai influenced menu, above average food and outstanding service. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Love this place.....BreezDined on 8/17/2014The service and food was AMAZING. My friends loved it.....Special Features:
- Absolutely love it!hidndineDined on 8/17/2014I loved the food, staff, service and atmosphere. Everyone I've recommended it to has went and gave fantastic reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerLauraBDined on 8/16/2014We had a nice time at Poor Calvin's. The food was great!Special Features:
- Cool spot!SaussyDined on 8/16/2014Went for Atlanta Downtown Restaurant, the service and food was great! My only complaint is it was extremely hot. We told the waiter but nothing changed. Other than that, everything was great!Special Features:
- LetThemEatCakeWouldRatherNotCookDined on 8/16/2014OMG, the Lobster Fried Rice is the MOST delicious pairing of veggies, herbs, spices, rice ever created by man's hands! And then they put a fried lobster tail on top of it! :-) You have got to try it. It was by far the best fusion dish I've tasted and trust me, I eat out A LOT!Special Features:
- Interesting spin on ThaiFoodAddictDined on 8/15/2014The restaurant is small but the food is great. We dined outside on a cool summer evening so the ambience was great. Great date night experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply WonderfulPoisedNIvy2Dined on 8/15/2014I had been meaning to try the place out, but time was never on my side. I am so glad that I did. Our server Mac as well as the bartener was attentive and polite. We had the conch fritter and calamari as starters, the calamari was fried perfectly and there was a surprise of fried dill pickles mixed in. The calamari was not like boot leather & piping hot. The conch fritter had just the right amount of spice and the salsa on top was a welcomed addition. Our entrees were pretty good as well...I had the walnut shrimp and my friend had the lobster mac and cheese and chicken. However, the star of the show was the crepe with a berry whipped creme, whiskey soaked strawberries and blackberry compote. It was like a piece of heaven in my mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazing and accomodatingDashnDined on 8/14/2014The food presentation is as amazing as it's taste!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!nycfoodieVIPDined on 8/14/2014The food was great- the pizette and meatball appetizers were delicious! Went here on a date, great ambiance but was a bit too loud for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wolf pack tamedmmmCharismaDined on 8/14/2014Always a great experience. Catching James impromptu dance behind the bar, funny. Him again leaning thru the decor yelling bushes, funnier. I was able to introduce two friends and we all enjoyed ourselves tremendously. The staff, the food, the customers bring a certain vibrance to this establishment. A comradery exists as shared as our conversations overlap and I want to know what my neighbor is drinking and the table behind me asks my server what I ordered. After all the menu offers so many great portions, pairing an appetizer and an entrée leaves you feeling guilty for not ordering more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingNewNpDined on 8/14/2014Poor Calvin's provides a Rich dining experience indeed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good first impressionjcatlVIPDined on 8/13/2014We made our first visit during restaurant week so the place was overflowing. We did have to wait past our reservation time but were not bothered since the place was unusually slammed. Despite that, the food and service were good once we were seated and we'll likely play a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Poor About Calvin!CantCookSoWhatDined on 8/13/2014This was my first visit to Poor Calvin's and I was immediately welcomed and greeted by 2 great looking young men and sweetly diminutive hostess. Jenny the bartender fought through laryngitis to greet me and my two girlfriends. Though my rum punch cocktail was blah, the rest of the meal more than made up for it. My calamari appetizer was crisp and light; the pickles in it were a pleasant surprise--didn't even think I liked fried pickles. My red curry Thai grouper was great and the chef's choice of 3 desserts finished things off nicely. Mack, our server, was attentive and made the meal even more enjoyable. The only thing I definitely didn't like was my seat was in direct view of the men's restroom to which the door was constantly open!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedDined on 8/13/2014The food was AWESOME! We had the duck, lamb, and sea bass which where all GREAT! the Dark and Stormy drink was TO DIE FOR! The desserts where chefs choice; cheese cake, chocolate mint cake, and berry crepe. Each was delicious as well. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. The service was great and our server did a great job of recommending what we should try and he was right each time. The reviews that I read prior to making reservations were on point! Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun times during restaurant wkTastyDinnerDined on 8/13/2014I had a reservation for 5 which ended up being 4. Traffic cause delays to our 6pm start so I sat at the bar awaiting my party and the staff was friendly and willing to make recommendations. The starter bites and lamb rack med well, along with the sangria were awesome! The atmosphere was perfect for a small group. The servers' customer service was above average, he was very knowledgable of the menu and willing to offer suggestions. Valet parking was quick and easy! Make a reservation especially during restaurant week. The only down side to the restaurant week was the shared dessert option at the end of our meal. There were 3 desserts and each person received a fork for us to share them. It would have been nice to receive individual itemsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great surprise!dindinDined on 8/12/2014We took a chance to try a new place for our anniversary and Calvin's looked like a great option online. It was! The clever fusion made each entree or appetizer unique to the traditional (lobster mac & cheese; conch hoecakes; lobster fried rice; walnut cream shrimp - very fresh and brightly flavored. Each bite was mouth watering. The craft cocktails were delish, we both had the Frankly My Dear, mine as martini, hubby on rocks - a great suggestion by our server. It was restaurant week, but the menu was extensive and represented wonderful selections. The icing on the cake was the dinner included excellent desserts - Chef's choice for us was pistachio cake so light and the fruit crepes with homemade peach ice cream - WOW! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MorganraysDined on 8/12/2014Food was absolutely amazing! The lobster mac & chesses is to die for - you gotta try it!! Our bartender and waitress (Lola) were magnificient!! What a great find - we'll be visiting quite often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't meet expectationsKellyVIPDined on 8/11/2014Visited for Downtown Atlanta Restaurant Week and expected a great experience based on reviews. Appetizers were great but the entrees we chose were not all up to par. Dessert was mediocre. The saying "the customer is always right" doesn't apply here. Upon disappointment with entree we spoke to a manager and were told "you will pay for what you consumed" (meaning the appetizer). Will not return.
- Great foodOnlyinATLDined on 8/11/2014This was the first time I've been at the restaurant and it was during restaurant week. The drinks were good and the food was great. Must try the unicorn fish and lobster fried rice. Both are great dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good quality; too hot with jalapinoJACBDined on 8/10/2014when you weren't expecting those spices. My duck breast was perfect, however! Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.