Poogan's Porch Restaurant
72 Queen St
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Poogan's Porch Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poogansporch.com/
- Phone: 8435772337x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch:Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30-2:30 Dinner: Monday-Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Daniel Doyle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please call or email with any questions. Poogan's would be honored to cater your next special event. Call 843-577-2337 or email email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Poogan's Porch offers several private dining rooms newly renovated to suit your distinct style. From wedding rehearsal dinners to farewell brunches, to holiday parties and business meetings, we are able to accommodate groups of 10-110. Personal time with our party planner and you will be set for your next event in no time. We would be honored to host you next special event. Hope to hear from you soon with any of your questions or concerns.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Walton 8435772337x
A word from Poogan's Porch Restaurant
Tucked away on a charming downtown street, Poogan's Porch is one of Charleston’s oldest & most reputable culinary establishments, serving upscale Lowcountry cuisine daily. Since opening in 1976, Poogan’s has been a favorite of well-known celebrities, politicians, tourists & locals alike who rave about this Southern institution. Recognized by Martha Stewart Living, Wine Spectator & the Travel Channel, this beautifully restored Victorian house is the perfect southern locale for lunch, dinner or weekend brunch. Whether it’s a warm homemade buttermilk biscuit & sausage gravy for brunch, a bowl of she-crab soup for lunch, or our signature buttermilk fried chicken for dinner, your meal at Poogan’s will be unforgettable. Open year-round, Poogan’s Porch serves dinner seven days a week, & brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Both indoor & outdoor seating is offered, & a variety of rooms are available for special events throughout the year. Reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Poogan's Porch Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Poogan's Porch Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
490 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (282)fit for foodies (275)special occasion (264)romantic (218)great for outdoor dining (129)good for groups (109)notable wine list (77)great for brunch (70)great for lunch (69)hot spot (59)kid-friendly (43)scenic view (35)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (8)Show More
- Quaint Charleston GemlipsticknvinoDined on 9/28/2014Poogans porch is nestled conveniently off of Queen St in an old historic Charleston house that has been converted to a reataurant. We made reservations and we're seated immediately. The people in front of us had not and we're told it would be an hour to an hour and 1/2 wait so reservations are encouraged and this was a rainy Sunday night! Food was on time, delicious and portions were approprate. Biscuits are melt in your mouth with honey butter. Service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!JohnPDined on 9/28/2014Very good meal with all of the trimmings like great service, very good wine list and fabulous food. I thought that the value was excellent as well. The staff use's a team concept which works very well for them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnfriendlyMartyDined on 9/26/2014We arrived and had one extra show up. We asked to add a chair and we were given a hard time saying it was a safety issue for the server. When we got to our table we were along a back wall in a corner where we could easily add a chair and have no impact on server. When we finally were situated our server constantly reached over food with their arm directly over our food, and not even an excuse me. Finally after dinner our check was brought out without being offered coffee or desert. Very disappointing
- Very secluded but worth the findBmccDined on 9/26/2014Secluded location on Queen Street but worth the find. An old house with a great porch. Food very fresh and well prepared. Service very quick. Food almost arrived too quickly. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy 23rd AnniversaryHappy23rdAnniversaryDined on 9/25/2014We were looking for a place to celebrate our 23rd anniversary and the experience we had at Poogan's Porch was very enjoyable. We will differently be coming back to try your Brunch. Thank you for the wonderful dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/22/2014We really enjoyed visiting Charleston and Poogan's Porch...they made our celebration special. It was charming that it was in a converted home. Nice to have different rooms. The snapper was excellent. Thanks...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealMayaDined on 9/21/2014My daughter and I had a table on the front porch and it was wonderful to see the hustle and bustle of Charleston. The food was amazing and the presentation, beautiful. I would recommend it.Special Features:
- Great food and service.lovingcharlestonDined on 9/21/2014Our waiter was very friendly and attentive. Four people at dinner had three different dinner offerings and all were excellent. Same for the two desserts we shared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The service was great, the food was some of the best we had on our stay in the area. We would go back again the next time we are in town, thank you...Special Features:
- special dinnerfamilycelebration2Dined on 9/20/2014This was for a family celebration and we wanted it to be special, and it was. In addition to delicious food, you just don't see duck breast on every menu in town but I had it here and it was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will not be disappointed!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We arrived early and enjoyed a drink in the bar. Our table was ready on time. The server was very friendly and patient as I asked plenty of questions. We started with the crab cakes with stewed tomatoes and crispy okra and the piemento croquettes with green tomato jam ( the jam should be bottled and sold). I wish I could have licked the plate it was that good. The homemade biscuits were light and fluffy snd piping hot snd my anticipation for entrees was high. Was not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Southern CuisinePoogansDined on 9/20/2014Awesome Mac 'n Cheese; fried green tomatoes, excellent service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014While the location was charming the food was overrated.Special Features:
- Best dinner in charlestonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014Everything was wonderful! We ate on the second level porch in a nice quiet table. Plantation chicken was excellent unique item on the menu. Service was perfect and we were never rushed or bothered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just for dog-loversmontanaskyyDined on 9/18/2014The story behind the restaurant-naming is indeed heartwarming. However, the real story of Poogan's Porch lies in its' ambiance, quality of the food, and knowledgeable servers. Request the second floor veranda and order any of their deliciously crafted dishes and you'll enjoy Charleston at its' best.Special Features:
- Fried chicken was AWESOME!RuRuDined on 9/18/2014Didn't care for the grouper entree or the way it was plated, but the fried chicken was some of the best I have eaten, crispy but not greasy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableMikeVIPDined on 9/18/2014We really enjoyed our meal here. The server was very helpful. She made great drink suggestions, and even offered that the entree my wife ordered was not the best choice that evening. My wife ordered the grouper instead, and she loved it. The she crab soup was very good, but the mac & cheese was just a little disappointing. It has a nice atmosphere, the serving pace was just right, and the food was good. We would go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Poogan's!KathyDined on 9/18/2014Excellent Low Country dishes in an old Charleston House. Service both attentive and friendly.
- Great Food; Good AtmosphereSamskateDined on 9/17/2014We had been there on a previous visit to Charleston. We liked it before so wanted to try it again. We were definitely pleased with our dining experience. We also had a really great waiter by the name of Aaron. Will definitely visit Poogan's again on our next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BSinLBDined on 9/17/2014The biscuits were phenomenal! Worth a trip all by themselves. The shrimp and grits spectacular. The only problem with the excellent fried chicken was the huge portion. The beignets were nice, but blackberry jam was on the menu and we wound up with blueberry. Good, but where were the blackberries?Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerCharlesdinerDined on 9/16/2014Our waitress was friendly and helpful when we were making our menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2CookDined on 9/16/2014The food was great and our waiter Jamie was even better. We were taken care of from the time we walked in. We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Charleston ClassicGarfDined on 9/15/2014Archetypical Charleston! Excellent Low Country dishes in an old Charleston House. Service both attentive and friendly. Noise level is low, making for easy conversation. I always take out of town guests here for a genuine Charleston dining experience.Special Features:
- Accommodating for food allergiesMrsHDined on 9/14/2014My husband and I dined here upon recommendation, so I booked a table on Open Table. I noted my food allergies when I reserved the table. We arrived and I let the waitress know about my my food allergies, then she went back to the kitchen and the chef came out to speak with me about how we could modify the menu item I was interested in for dinner - he had printed out the note I wrote when booking my reservation through Open Table. They prepared a fresh salad for me with oil and vinegar then sauteed veggies with a filet for dinner. The meal was really nice and it was a relief for me that they took such great care to prepare a meal for me that I could eat without worry. My husband enjoyed the pimento fritters very much and the chicken.Special Features:
- Poogan's Porchwelshcookie511Dined on 9/14/2014My husband and I enjoyed dining at Poogan's Porch during our vacation in Charleston. I had the Buttermilk Fried Chicken which was crispy and delicious, and my husband had the Tea Marinated Salmon which he enjoyed. Our only disappointment was that the restaurant was out of Red Snapper and its replacement, Grouper, due to it being a Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What fun!SusanDined on 9/14/2014Great experience with our out of town business guests. They loved it!Special Features:
- Great venue especiallyballera33Dined on 9/14/2014It's really cool to have a meal in an old Charleston home so I would definitely recommend. I've been here for brunch before and it was awesome! My friend and I opted out of Restaurant Week for our dinner and I had the duck entree, which was the star of the show!! She had the scallops and they were great, although few of them, but the bacon risotto cake (which sounded like it should have been the star) was quite bland! That risotto cake was very disappointing, but everything else was delicious. The server misheard my wine order, but generously offered a free glass afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week Gem!AuntieJanDined on 9/11/2014This is our 2nd visit and the food is fabulous! I enjoyed the Red Snapper tremendously, so delicious with every bite? Everything was so good. We arrived early and they were able to seat us 25 minutes ahead of our reservation. Great service, great knowledgeable staff. Love it here!Special Features:
- Outstanding mealBrunelloBoyDined on 9/11/2014I have spurned Poogan's on prior trips to Charleston but never again! The entire meal, from the cocktails to the appetizers to a piece of grouper that was out of this world, was fantastic. The building is ancient but doesn't detract and the service was quite good. It will give Blossom (a mainstay of our dining in Charleston) a run for it's money on future trips!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Locals, don't go during rest. weekJenniferDined on 9/11/2014I'm a local who goes often. Normally we are greeted as return costumers with superior service to go with the outstanding food. It was my daughter's birthday and despite the notes I put on the reservation, we were treated like a tourist, spoken to as if we were just passing through and were only after a good deal, and mostly ignored. The waitress stopped with our food in her hands while it was cooling every second, to check on two tables along the way. My daughter's birthday went unnoticed and we were generally shuffled through "en mass". I will make sure we do not come during large events like this again because this is NOT the Pogan's Porch she specifically requested for her birthday meal.Special Features:
- One of my favorites.JudyDined on 9/11/2014Poogan's is fantasic. It never lets me down.. The service is great, and the food superb. I am never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- low country gemkatmix0527Dined on 9/10/2014Absolutely loved every bite. Very diverse low country inspired menu and fast, excellent service. Make sure to call in a reservation as this place books quickly. We want on a Wednesday during the off season and this place was still pleasantly packed. Lots of charm and history. Loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014Always a treat to go downtown for a dinner in one of the many historic landmark buildings such as this one. After dinner you can stroll around downtown and enjoy a wonderful evening in Charleston. Our server was terrific and the food, as always, was great. We will be back...again...and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must dine in CharlestonONEJourneySteveDined on 9/10/2014No Charleston trip would be complete without a meal at Poogan's Porch. You might also be interested in the ghost who lives there.Special Features:
- poogans restaurant week diningdessertproDined on 9/9/2014the biscuits and now the benets were delightful, the wait was 20 minutes but it was restaurant week- a pesky fly interfered with dinner- and we were not outside- seafood was very goodSpecial Features:
- Southern Hospitality!KarenCVIPDined on 9/9/2014Lovely old home setting divided into rooms that gives some privacy from the number of diners in the place simultaneously. Our server Rosa was attentive and gracious. We had the snapper and grouper entrees and the fish was cooked perfectly. Snapper was accompanied by cheddar grits cake, pulled pork and wilted arugula in a stack. Now, in my mind, pork and fish should not be on the same plate. But Rosa's advice was to get a bite of everything on the fork at once. And that worked! The sweet pork, slightly bitter arugula and grits and fish all melded into a tasty bite. Save room for dessert. The pecan pie is to die for (better than my homemade version) and is served with a small scoop of chocolate and bacon ice cream. Love this place!Special Features:
- Excellent Southern CharmJMG12Dined on 9/8/2014Our dinner experience was wonderful; everything we would expect from a Southern hot spot like Poogan's Porch. The wait staff was friendly and the food was excellent! We enjoyed the fried green tomatoes, shrimp & grits and bread pudding. It was all delicious!Special Features:
- GoodHoneyDined on 9/7/2014Overall the food was good just not as good as a previous visit. Crab appetizer ok. Bourbon Pecan pie good but not what I expect. Main course for both excellent. Waitress was excellent never wanted for anything! 5 starSpecial Features:
- Extremely Disappointingnotnew2diningDined on 9/6/2014On a recent trip to Charleston, my husband and I carefully planned our evenings around highly recommended restaurants in historical downtown. Although Poogan's Porch was an easy walk from our hotel, the Belfour Charleston Place, we were met by apathetic hostesses, a dirty restaurant, less than mediocre food, and a waiter who thought he was just about the cutest pirate-wanna-be in the city. Altogether a bad experience for us. Will not recommend.
- Need to revisitWantgodfoodVIPDined on 9/6/2014Finally got around to eating at Poogan's Porch last weekend. Our son attended the Citadel for college and never came back home to Maryland. As a result, my husband and I have eaten in just about every restaurant in Charleston during the past 6 years. Poogan's Porch has a somewhat standard low country menu, but with some interesting additions which does make it standout. Unfortunately, I don't feel like the food measured up to my expectations. I don't believe anyone was thrilled with their dish. The duck was ok, the pork chop (fried, not grilled) was also good and the fish (trout, I believe) was mediocre. The prices are quite reasonable for downtown. I will go back to see if we just got a bad night.Special Features: