Poogan's Porch Restaurant
72 Queen St
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Poogan's Porch Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poogansporch.com/
- Phone: (843) 577-2337
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch:Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30-2:30 Dinner: Monday-Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Daniel Doyle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please call or email with any questions. Poogan's would be honored to cater your next special event. Call 843-577-2337 or email email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Poogan's Porch offers several private dining rooms newly renovated to suit your distinct style. From wedding rehearsal dinners to farewell brunches, to holiday parties and business meetings, we are able to accommodate groups of 10-110. Personal time with our party planner and you will be set for your next event in no time. We would be honored to host you next special event. Hope to hear from you soon with any of your questions or concerns.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Walton 8435772337x
A word from Poogan's Porch Restaurant
Tucked away on a charming downtown street, Poogan's Porch is one of Charleston’s oldest & most reputable culinary establishments, serving upscale Lowcountry cuisine daily. Since opening in 1976, Poogan’s has been a favorite of well-known celebrities, politicians, tourists & locals alike who rave about this Southern institution. Recognized by Martha Stewart Living, Wine Spectator & the Travel Channel, this beautifully restored Victorian house is the perfect southern locale for lunch, dinner or weekend brunch. Whether it’s a warm homemade buttermilk biscuit & sausage gravy for brunch, a bowl of she-crab soup for lunch, or our signature buttermilk fried chicken for dinner, your meal at Poogan’s will be unforgettable. Open year-round, Poogan’s Porch serves dinner seven days a week, & brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Both indoor & outdoor seating is offered, & a variety of rooms are available for special events throughout the year. Reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Poogan's Porch Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Poogan's Porch Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
477 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (272)fit for foodies (271)special occasion (228)romantic (198)great for outdoor dining (127)good for groups (101)great for lunch (72)notable wine list (70)great for brunch (62)hot spot (52)kid-friendly (31)scenic view (23)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (14)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/20148 of us mostly particular seniors with some college students had a marvelous time thanks to attentive staff, quiet that allowed easy conversation without having to listen to other diners, and of course the delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food! Best restaurant in Charleston!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/15/2014I consider myself somewhat of a foodie. Dining at Poogan's blew me out of the water. The appetizers and entrees were amazing. I got the fried alligator salad and beef with blue cheese gnocchi. My friend who does not like blue cheese thought the gnocchi was amazing. The blue cheese was very subtle and the gnocchi was cooked perfectly. My friend also got the crab soup and fish for dinner with a grit cake and pulled pork. This also was amazing. We dined at Husk and thought Poogan's was hands down the better restaurant. You must go if in Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, food and great experienceRen416Dined on 11/15/2014Had a wonderful anniversary/birthday dinner experience. Were greeted promptly, and even given complimentary champagne for our anniversary. The waiter (Nick) provided excellent service and didn't bother us too much. Food and wine was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014During the three nights in Charleston, we ate at several top notch restaurants. My favorite was Poogan's Porch. I ordered the scallops with pimento cheese ravioli, and this dish was awesome! My husband thoroughly enjoyed the fried chicken, too. There was something so special about the warm, casual atmosphere. Service was great, too. When I go back to Charleston, Poogan's Porch will be first on my list of places to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely atmosphere and excellent service.YringerDined on 11/13/2014We were a party of four....one vegetarian and three meat eaters. We all ordered something different and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. The chef's preparation of the vegetarian dish was excellent. We especially enjoyed the Fried Green Tomato appetizer. It was a very lovely evening overall with very good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return to a GemWandaDined on 11/13/2014We'd been here before, 2 years ago, and had such strong fond memories of it that we chose to return to Poogan's Porch on our only free evening, and it did not disappoint! The service was terrific, from the warm welcome at the front door, to our server Rosa, and all those who interacted with us, however briefly. The fried green tomatoes were tasty, not greasy, served with luscious pecan-encrusted goat cheese and arugula. The entrees were also very good: perfectly cooked sea scallops atop pimento cheese-stuffed ravioli, and my friend had the catfish served over red risotto. Dessert was a must, and was delightful! The only detractor was the g! cold air conditioning was on full-blast even though it was only about 10C outside! We'll return again I'm sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Want to returnLadyTDined on 11/13/2014Excellent food - party of three. Two had the fried chicken, the mashed potatoes melted in your mouth. The third had the pork chop which was also excellent. Unfortunately we were too full for desert but those that were brought to our neighbors looked mouthwatering. Their comments showed they tasted as good as they looked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableVeteranDined on 11/13/2014Excellent food and service. Food was brought out in a timely fashion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poogan's PorchcountrygirlDined on 11/9/2014The service was excellent....the food was really good....the peanut butter pie is to get in the floor and die for.....very light and totally wonderful....save room for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Charleston ExperienceDinerDanDined on 11/8/2014Fried chicken, collards, and mac & cheese. How could you go wrong with Lowcountry favorites? Always a must when in Charleston. You can feel the history in the old home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timer.SarahSmileVIPDined on 11/8/2014Overall everything was pretty great. Ambiance, food and service. Our waitress was attentive and kind :) However, the only complaint I have is the fact that the hostess sat my family and I near the "working station" when I clearly saw other great available tables. But I thought maybe perhaps they were reserved, so I didn't say anything... And it didn't bother me so much, UNTIL the servers/hostess we're began using the door right next/behind my chair to go in and out to the porch dining area. The door slamming was very bothersome. I will have to specially request not to sit my party there next time. Oh yes, there will definitely be a next time. The food was absolutely amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014We found Poogan's Porch on Trip Advisor, and are so glad we did! The location was convenient and the building is charming. The food was absolutely delicious and we will be returning!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014Poogan's Porch is an old house and the atmosphere is casual but there is nothing casual about the food. Every bite was perfect. The sommelier's recommendation was an excellent pairing with our meal.Special Features:
- AlisonVT1Dined on 11/6/2014I brought 3 clients here for dinner, and we had a great time. Food was delicious, specialty cocktails did not disappoint either. Our waiter was personable and fun to talk with, ambience of the historic home wonderful. The room we were in was lively with a nice hum of conversation and happy customers. We enjoyed appetizers of fried green tomatoes and cheese fritters, and our waiter satisfied our curiosity and brought us a sample of the bacon chocolate ice cream for dessert. Strangely delicious! All the entrees were too, no one was disappointed. You won't be either.Special Features:
- Great restaurantHappyDined on 11/6/2014Poogans Porch is a super restaurant. Very old building. Some of the staff members have been there for over 20 years. Good menu with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/6/2014A definite "must go to" when in Charleston, visited for both dinner and brunch; outstanding traditional and seasonal southern, low country fare, several unique cocktails and friendly just right service. A great brunch spot, plan ahead.Special Features:
- Wonderful service and mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/5/2014The food was prepared exquisitely and the presentation was lovely. Definitely will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but...JBjrDined on 11/3/2014We have eaten here several times over the years. As usual we made a reservation. We went into the bar as our table was not ready. The bar was totally jamed because the tables were full and they were serving people dinner at the bar tables. This obviously restricts people's access to the bar. They need a bigger bar or stop serving people there. The food and service were excellant as always. You will not get a bad meal there.Special Features:
- A Must On Your Dining ListsouthernsoulDined on 11/3/2014Dining at Poogan's Porch is always on our Charleston list of musts....we have been dining there on every trip to Charleston for the last 30 years. The pasta with lump crab and shrimp was outstanding with a slightly sweet, fresh flavor and the she crab soup just the perfect blend. It is an intimate and charming experience with great service and wonderful Lowcountry food. It never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Predictably great food and service.SeaFeastDined on 11/2/2014Third visit and as expected the service and food was exceptional. Suggest adding more appetizers and/or small plates for those with smaller appetites. Great house wine selections for those that like reds dinning with others that like whites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pooga's porchtheboysDined on 11/1/2014second time there and food was great again. In charleston for my son's wedding and wanted to take the family who had never been. so 11 of us ate there. Very accommodating even with the 2 extra i asked for on the day we were coming. Food excellent, Waitstaff took very good care of usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnneDined on 10/31/2014We returned to this restaurant after first visiting on our honeymoon 32 years ago. What a treat to find everything as wonderful now as it was then. The ambiance, the food, the service was excellent. We'll be back sooner than 32 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/30/2014Setting was just what I was hoping for when I decided to have my wifes Birthday dinner here. Both the shrimp and crab with Linquini and the duck were both delicious dinners. The service was prompt, courteus and friendly. Top it off with a mouth wateing desert. A perfect night!!Special Features:
- Elllen from WIfood4soulDined on 10/30/2014The food was fabulous and our waitress was personable and made great suggestions for items to try. It is nestled in one of the old homes of Charleston and was very charming. We had the shrimp and grits and catfish and both were outstanding in flavor and perfect examples of southern cooking at its best. For a starter, try the fried green tomatoes and the beet salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old house atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014An old southern home now a resturant with low country menu. Great in the winter by a fire or warm weather outside on the upper or lower porch. One of our favorite places in Carleston.Special Features:
- Elegant yet quaintPLSGDined on 10/30/2014Excellent service and food. We loved the character of the old house.Special Features:
- Mary from Merton WIOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2014We loved the idea of dining in an old home. A museum and meal wrapped up in a nice package. The She-Crab soup was very good but I prefer a bisque texture rather than a chowder texture. The braised short ribs and sweet tea glazed salmon were excellent. Our wait staff was very attentive and gracious without invading our privacy. The bartender made a couple of Wisconsinites very tasty old fashioneds with muddled cherries, or an olive in my case. Overall a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on the PorchLightkeeperVIPDined on 10/29/2014My wife and I ate dinner at Poogan's Porch. We are both glad we did. The best attribute is the ambiance. We were able to enjoy our meal together without interruption while never having to wait for attentive staff.Special Features:
- Tastes so Good!Philly313VIPDined on 10/29/2014Sometimes it is just such a pleasure to eat a meal and to remember how good food can taste. My husband had the beet salad and the short ribs. He hardly talked to me during the entire meal as he just savored his meal. I also enjoyed my meal - I started with the fried green tomatoes and the salmon with risotto. The staff was welcoming, our server was friendly and attentive, and overall, it was a lovely experience.Special Features:
- Delicious Food for Date NightCheeseEnthusiastDined on 10/28/2014Visiting my boyfriend in Charleston, he took me to Poogan's for a nice dinner. Very cute, classy place. The ambiance made it easy to have a conversation, and the service was excellent. Started off with yummy cocktails (try the ice pick!) and biscuits with honey butter. We ordered Ribs n' Mac and Scallops with Ravioli. Both were oh so delicious. We probably would have licked the plates clean if it wasn't such a nice restaurant! Finished off the meal with peanut butter pie. Perfect spot for a date. Also, I will definitely be recommending this place to foodie friends of mine back in Cali.Special Features:
- Charleston Charm???pookynutzDined on 10/26/2014Although the food and ambience are truly southern the help needs to go back to school! Use to be my favorite resturant for anytime, definitely ruined a very special evening!Special Features:
- Winner winner chicken dinnerTDC6Dined on 10/26/2014Brought a couple of my clients who,were in town here as I had been here once before on personal time. They both had the chicken and loved it. Mac and cheese appetizer was great as well. My snapper was also good but nothing crazy great. Upon arrival for our reservation they had us in the system but took 12 or more minutes to seat us. Party of three and there isn't angreat waiting area (narrow hallway under stairs) so that was a but awkward. Table we were seated at was by the door to the bar in a corner. Worked fine but in the past when I have had a reservation on open table for other establishments the seating was faster and better located. Overall a nice quality meal with a neat old house atmosphere.Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceTprottVIPDined on 10/26/2014Had a group of people and a baby. Very accommodating and attentive service without feeling rushed. Food was really good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014Food was just ok. We ordered the pimento cheese fritters and they came out 2 minutes after we ordered and the were warm at best. They tasted good despite being cold. We ordered shellfish and grits and again the shrimp was cold. Overall not impressed.
- I think about my meal almost dailypaguayoDined on 10/25/2014Roasted duck breast with duck confit and sweet potato gnocchi - one of the best dishes I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal!!!!ILoveFoodTooMuchDined on 10/25/2014We ordered fried green tomatoes, shellfish & grits and pan seared scallops with pimento cheese ravioli. We were bowled over by the service and exceptional food. Interesting flavor combinations were infused to create unforgettable dishes that make me wish I could visit Charleston more often. In addition to our fabulous meal, we also relished the local lore that Poogan's may be haunted by one of its previous inhabitants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerDancerDined on 10/23/2014Very busy place, it is in an old home. We didn't get the porch area and that was fine as it was a little chilly that night. Waiter was acceptable.....at first a little subdued, but then he talked a little more as the night went on. I had the scallops and they were delicious, my husband had the pork chop...also good. They are known for their she crab soup, apparently was in a food magazine write up. I liked it, but had some that was better in Charleston. This one was very thick almost like a chowder instead of a creamier broth with sherry. The beet and goat cheese salad that my husband had was very good. Did not care for the pecan pie for dessert. All in all I would recommend but make reservations.Special Features:
- Poogan's is O.K.StinkyMHVIPDined on 10/23/2014When I was planning my trip to Charleston, I was told that I MUST go to Poogan's Porch. I did. It was fine; ok. It's not great, but its not bad. My table started with the Pimiento Cheese Balls. Very good; a light fry around the ball that allowed the cheese to maintain its flavor and be the focus point of the dish. For entrees, we had the Shrimp & Grits and Snapper dish. The shrimp & grits were o.k. The sausage used in the dish, candidly, tasted like hot dog. Not the best shrimp & grits dish in Charleston and that is concerning because our waiter said that the restaurant was known for its shrimp & grits. The snapper dish was weird: the focus of the dish was a huge grit cake and not the snapper. Not sure if I would go back.Special Features:
- Comfort FoodWorldTravelersDined on 10/23/2014The restaurant was quaint and nicely decorated. We wanted to try real Southern fried chicken and were not disappointed with our dinner. The portions left no room for dessert though they sounded delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston Not To Miss ClassicBdayBabyDined on 10/23/2014When I want to WOW an out of town client or guest, Poogans is. A must. Classic southern cuisine delivered by capable and friendly staff. Unique wine list....always ask for the server recommendations ...they know their wine. As usual. Top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.