Poogan's Porch Restaurant
72 Queen St
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Poogan's Porch Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poogansporch.com/
- Phone: 8435772337x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch:Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30-2:30 Dinner: Monday-Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Daniel Doyle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please call or email with any questions. Poogan's would be honored to cater your next special event. Call 843-577-2337 or email email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Poogan's Porch offers several private dining rooms newly renovated to suit your distinct style. From wedding rehearsal dinners to farewell brunches, to holiday parties and business meetings, we are able to accommodate groups of 10-110. Personal time with our party planner and you will be set for your next event in no time. We would be honored to host you next special event. Hope to hear from you soon with any of your questions or concerns.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Walton 8435772337x
A word from Poogan's Porch Restaurant
Tucked away on a charming downtown street, Poogan's Porch is one of Charleston’s oldest & most reputable culinary establishments, serving upscale Lowcountry cuisine daily. Since opening in 1976, Poogan’s has been a favorite of well-known celebrities, politicians, tourists & locals alike who rave about this Southern institution. Recognized by Martha Stewart Living, Wine Spectator & the Travel Channel, this beautifully restored Victorian house is the perfect southern locale for lunch, dinner or weekend brunch. Whether it’s a warm homemade buttermilk biscuit & sausage gravy for brunch, a bowl of she-crab soup for lunch, or our signature buttermilk fried chicken for dinner, your meal at Poogan’s will be unforgettable. Open year-round, Poogan’s Porch serves dinner seven days a week, & brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Both indoor & outdoor seating is offered, & a variety of rooms are available for special events throughout the year. Reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Poogan's Porch Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Poogan's Porch Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
474 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (267)neighborhood gem (266)special occasion (230)romantic (196)great for outdoor dining (116)good for groups (102)great for lunch (71)notable wine list (70)great for brunch (59)hot spot (54)kid-friendly (36)scenic view (25)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (12)Show More
- Dinner on the PorchLightkeeperVIPDined on 10/29/2014My wife and I ate dinner at Poogan's Porch. We are both glad we did. The best attribute is the ambiance. We were able to enjoy our meal together without interruption while never having to wait for attentive staff.Special Features:
- Tastes so Good!Philly313Dined on 10/29/2014Sometimes it is just such a pleasure to eat a meal and to remember how good food can taste. My husband had the beet salad and the short ribs. He hardly talked to me during the entire meal as he just savored his meal. I also enjoyed my meal - I started with the fried green tomatoes and the salmon with risotto. The staff was welcoming, our server was friendly and attentive, and overall, it was a lovely experience.Special Features:
- Charleston Charm???pookynutzDined on 10/26/2014Although the food and ambience are truly southern the help needs to go back to school! Use to be my favorite resturant for anytime, definitely ruined a very special evening!Special Features:
- Winner winner chicken dinnerTDC6Dined on 10/26/2014Brought a couple of my clients who,were in town here as I had been here once before on personal time. They both had the chicken and loved it. Mac and cheese appetizer was great as well. My snapper was also good but nothing crazy great. Upon arrival for our reservation they had us in the system but took 12 or more minutes to seat us. Party of three and there isn't angreat waiting area (narrow hallway under stairs) so that was a but awkward. Table we were seated at was by the door to the bar in a corner. Worked fine but in the past when I have had a reservation on open table for other establishments the seating was faster and better located. Overall a nice quality meal with a neat old house atmosphere.Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceTprottVIPDined on 10/26/2014Had a group of people and a baby. Very accommodating and attentive service without feeling rushed. Food was really good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014Food was just ok. We ordered the pimento cheese fritters and they came out 2 minutes after we ordered and the were warm at best. They tasted good despite being cold. We ordered shellfish and grits and again the shrimp was cold. Overall not impressed.
- I think about my meal almost dailyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Roasted duck breast with duck confit and sweet potato gnocchi - one of the best dishes I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We ordered fried green tomatoes, shellfish & grits and pan seared scallops with pimento cheese ravioli. We were bowled over by the service and exceptional food. Interesting flavor combinations were infused to create unforgettable dishes that make me wish I could visit Charleston more often. In addition to our fabulous meal, we also relished the local lore that Poogan's may be haunted by one of its previous inhabitants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerDancerDined on 10/23/2014Very busy place, it is in an old home. We didn't get the porch area and that was fine as it was a little chilly that night. Waiter was acceptable.....at first a little subdued, but then he talked a little more as the night went on. I had the scallops and they were delicious, my husband had the pork chop...also good. They are known for their she crab soup, apparently was in a food magazine write up. I liked it, but had some that was better in Charleston. This one was very thick almost like a chowder instead of a creamier broth with sherry. The beet and goat cheese salad that my husband had was very good. Did not care for the pecan pie for dessert. All in all I would recommend but make reservations.Special Features:
- Poogan's is O.K.StinkyMHVIPDined on 10/23/2014When I was planning my trip to Charleston, I was told that I MUST go to Poogan's Porch. I did. It was fine; ok. It's not great, but its not bad. My table started with the Pimiento Cheese Balls. Very good; a light fry around the ball that allowed the cheese to maintain its flavor and be the focus point of the dish. For entrees, we had the Shrimp & Grits and Snapper dish. The shrimp & grits were o.k. The sausage used in the dish, candidly, tasted like hot dog. Not the best shrimp & grits dish in Charleston and that is concerning because our waiter said that the restaurant was known for its shrimp & grits. The snapper dish was weird: the focus of the dish was a huge grit cake and not the snapper. Not sure if I would go back.Special Features:
- Comfort FoodWorldTravelersDined on 10/23/2014The restaurant was quaint and nicely decorated. We wanted to try real Southern fried chicken and were not disappointed with our dinner. The portions left no room for dessert though they sounded delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston Not To Miss ClassicBdayBabyDined on 10/23/2014When I want to WOW an out of town client or guest, Poogans is. A must. Classic southern cuisine delivered by capable and friendly staff. Unique wine list....always ask for the server recommendations ...they know their wine. As usual. Top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceLizzieDined on 10/23/2014i made a meal of 3 appetizers including the alligator, apple, and greens salad, green tomatoes and another. Super! My husband had the best she crab soup we've ever tasted, just lovely. He then had the pork cop chop main dish. The sides were superb, the pork chop a touch dull. Our wines were excellent and the service was superior. All in all, it was a delightful night in a refined atmosphere.Special Features:
- A lucky find!FalconCaptDined on 10/22/2014I found Poogan's Porch while searching the internet for shrimp and grits which is what I ordered and along with the perfect bisquits that were served, this is one of the best meals I have had in the past 10 years. Also a great story behind the name Poogan's Porch. I would like to ask for the Chef's hand in marriage!Special Features:
- ExquisiteHappyCamperDined on 10/22/2014My wife and I celebrate our 25th anniversary at Poogan's Porch. It was FABULOUS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazedreasonformuscvisitDined on 10/22/2014I can't say enough good things about our experience. Our reservation was ready upon arrival, the dining rooms were full but it seemed we had our own private table. Luis, the manager, was very attentive and the wait staff were knowledge and especially helpful because of my wife's gluten intolerance. As we were leaving, a couple asking about a table were told the wait was about an hour. I told them if they ordered the scallop dish it was worth waiting for. My wife turned and told them to order the salmon. It was a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mom's Birthday Dinner :)CeeBeeTeeDined on 10/22/2014My sister and I took my mom here for her birthday. Our server Aaron was attentive and accommodating. He provided great service with a charming personality. The meal was equally as amazing. I took Aaron's wine suggestion and was glad I did, as it was very good and exactly what I wanted. We started with the fried green tomatoes and she-crab soup- both great. For our entrees I had the duck, Sis had the scallops, and Mom had the crab and shrimp linguini. I enjoyed nibbles of their meals, but the duck was my favorite. After the meal Aaron brewed a fresh pot of coffee so that I could have a fresh cup with desert, which was a chocolate torte and pecan pie. The pecan pie was delicious- definitely our favorite of the two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014This was my wife's and my second visit to Poogan's Porch and it was the same great experience we had last year! The food, atmosphere, and hospitality were perfect. My wife had the fried chicken and I had the shrimp and grits and the dinners were excellent! Highly recommend Poogan's Porch and will go again next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gem in CharlestownOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014Very good menu, located in an old historical home. Attentive staff. The food was very well prepared, flavorful and attractive. Our server, Sara, very friendly, knowledgeable, and a gift. Would come to this restaurant again if in the Charlestown area . 10-19-14.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- you can go home againjimgayeDined on 10/19/2014I've been away from my hometown for many years, and returned to bare recognize my Alma Mater, MUSC. But Poogan's Porch maintained its reputation to me as a "must eat" place in Charleston. They had updated their menu, certainly, but maintained some of the reasons so many come to this restaurant for so many years. Poogan's has discovered a way to be current and yet maintain the excellence that built its reputation in the first place.Special Features:
- Good Spot!shannastricklandDined on 10/18/2014The food was great, the pork chop was amazing and we were pleasantly surprised by the large portion. The biscuits were also awesome.Special Features:
- DeliciousNMckDined on 10/18/2014First time eating here-definitely not my last. We all had something different & everyone loved every bite. Special kudos to She Crab SoupSpecial Features:
- Dined once/see aboveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014YOUR SURVEY COVERED EVERYTHING WE WOULD LIKE TO SAY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousAliceDined on 10/17/2014No complaints on anything. It was a wonderful night with fabulous food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceMikeDined on 10/17/2014We dined on the porch at Poogan's Porch and had a nice meal. Good southern meals with a twist. I would recommend it anytime you are in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeSkinnybikerDined on 10/16/2014Wonderful food, drinks and atmosphere. Request porch seating so that you can eat outside and people watch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expected...HaasVDined on 10/16/2014This restaurant has outside dining in front, but only table's for 2. We were seated upstairs in a back room that seemed isolated. It was a little quiet, no music, sort of away from everything else, although we didn't get to look around so I'm not sure if there was another dining area elsewhere. I would think that having a reservation would mean a table in the best possible area. Our reservation was at 7:15. They were already out of both the duck and the ribs. Very disappointing since those are their known specialties. Our meal was very good, but nothing spectacular. Otherwise, service was excellent.Special Features:
- Average foodJc22Dined on 10/15/2014In a town with amazing food we were so disappointed by our meal here. The menu is dated and unexciting. The food was lukewarm when served and very mediocre overall.Special Features:
- Lovely experienceMarabi21Dined on 10/15/2014Poogan's Porch was one of several restaurants recommended to us on our first trip to Charleston and did not dissappoint. Sermon a small side street in a renovated older home with first and second floor porches, it is a lovely setting. The service was impeccable and the sea scallops over homemade ravioli was cooked to perfection. My husband had the fried chicken dish from which I had two bites, despite the fact that I don't eat fried chicken. Delicious meal! Lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable, quaint atmosphereJunemacDined on 10/14/2014Our 1st visit to Poogan's Porch!! It did not disappoint - amazing fried chicken, loved the appetizer - yummy fried pimento cheese & it was a great way to spend the evening!!Special Features:
- Mini VacationSouthwesternVacationerVIPDined on 10/13/2014While busy for a Monday night, the restaurant kept the reservation time. Tables are set sufficiently apart that you can carry on a conversation without having to raise your voice. Service was very good. Sizeable portion of Fried Green Tomatoes as an appetizer with roasted catfish as my entrée. Meal was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Charleston!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014I consider myself a foodie, I have many favorite restaurants but after dining at Poogan's Porch it is my new favorite! I will go back to Charleston if only to have dinner there again! AMAZING scallops! My mom had the chicken and it was also amazing. And the desert was wonderful! The waitress was very accommodating and friendly. Really really love and recommend Poogan's Porch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!FoodieDined on 10/12/2014Outdoor dining was perfect! Food was really good! Best pork chop and mac and cheese ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little awkwardOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014My girlfriend and I came here while on a weekend trip to Charleston and would say that despite this being the most expensive meal of the trip, it was probably our least favorite of the weekend. Aside from the cheese fritters, we were not excited by any of the food we got and left feeling heavy. The ambiance was not that great either -- we were asked to wait near the bar until our table opened but that part of the restaurant reeked of some awful dying smell that we were eager to get away from. I get that they were probably trying to maintain the historical feel of the place, but the seats and table were too big and not comfortable. Between that and the food, we were disappointed by what was supposed to be the highlight meal of our trip.
- beyond expectations!hw609Dined on 10/12/2014The best food experience in Charleston. The service was excellent and the food exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adequate patio spaceRVAFineFoodsDined on 10/11/2014Close to sidewalk, street, unfortunate scaffolding on Mills House opposite narrows and scars the outdoor spaces. The lore is wonderful and walking your guides stopping to explain it compete with the dining experience.
- Perfectly differentDJinCharlestonDined on 10/10/2014Our dinner at Poogan's Porch was great in all ways. The location, off King Street, made for a quiet, quaint experience. The tables being served on the porch and patio looked inviting and relaxed. We were seated in the front room in the neat old house. There were only five tables in the room so it was quiet and intimate. Our server was friendly, informative and attentive. The food, from the appetizer of the pimento cheese fritters to the entrée of scallops and shrimp were wonderful. The dessert menu was fine, we were too full to indulge. Great place, great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- moxieroseDined on 10/10/2014We had a wonderful meal, lovely service & a kind complimentary champagne toast for our 30th Anniversary. We had the best & only alligator salad of our lives, terrific She Crab Soup with two fabulous fish entrees. It was one of our favorite meals during our visit..Special Features:
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/9/2014Great night spent at Poogans, we were lucky to sit on the upstairs porch and had delicious food and drinks for a very reasonable price considering what we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodSphillipsDined on 10/9/2014We have eaten here twice the food was fantastic both times. The waiters are friendly and check on you often to ensure you do not need anything. The house is old and adds to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.