Poogan's Porch Restaurant
72 Queen St
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Poogan's Porch Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poogansporch.com/
- Phone: 8435772337x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch:Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30-2:30 Dinner: Monday-Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Daniel Doyle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please call or email with any questions. Poogan's would be honored to cater your next special event. Call 843-577-2337 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Poogan's Porch offers several private dining rooms newly renovated to suit your distinct style. From wedding rehearsal dinners to farewell brunches, to holiday parties and business meetings, we are able to accommodate groups of 10-110. Personal time with our party planner and you will be set for your next event in no time. We would be honored to host you next special event. Hope to hear from you soon with any of your questions or concerns.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Walton 8435772337x
A word from Poogan's Porch Restaurant
Tucked away on a charming downtown street, Poogan's Porch is one of Charleston’s oldest & most reputable culinary establishments, serving upscale Lowcountry cuisine daily. Since opening in 1976, Poogan’s has been a favorite of well-known celebrities, politicians, tourists & locals alike who rave about this Southern institution. Recognized by Martha Stewart Living, Wine Spectator & the Travel Channel, this beautifully restored Victorian house is the perfect southern locale for lunch, dinner or weekend brunch. Whether it’s a warm homemade buttermilk biscuit & sausage gravy for brunch, a bowl of she-crab soup for lunch, or our signature buttermilk fried chicken for dinner, your meal at Poogan’s will be unforgettable. Open year-round, Poogan’s Porch serves dinner seven days a week, & brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Both indoor & outdoor seating is offered, & a variety of rooms are available for special events throughout the year. Reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Poogan's Porch Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Poogan's Porch Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
457 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (269)fit for foodies (255)special occasion (247)romantic (202)great for outdoor dining (122)good for groups (94)notable wine list (78)great for lunch (64)great for brunch (62)hot spot (51)kid-friendly (46)scenic view (36)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (8)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Excellent restaurant. we were seated promptly after arriving for our reservation. Convenient location in center city.Special Features:
- A Must Visit When in Charleston!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Southern hospitality is not a myth at Poogan's; during the reservation I mentioned that this dinner was to celebrate my wife's birthday. Upon arrival, we were greeted and shown to our table , everyone who spoke to us knew and wished my wife a happy birthday. Jen, our waitress was GREAT and made perfect suggestions, the pan seared duck was simply WOW as well as the scallops which my wife ordered. Great and not overly priced food, excellent service and wonderful overall experience, We already posted a review on fb and told our friends! Thank you again for a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Charleston GemLindaDined on 8/23/2014Biscuits are to die for. We all enjoyed different dishes....the fried chicken, the salmon, the fish special, the peach salad, the she crab soup. Could not pick a favorite. Convenient parking across the street and great service. Visitors and Charlestonians love Poogan's Porch.
- Try it. You won't regret it.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Delicious food and a very romantic dinner in the heart of downtown Charleston, SC. I come every year and cannot wait to go back again. This restaurant does it right and is reasonably priced for such perfected cuisine.Special Features:
- A Charleston MUSTLovePoogansDined on 8/22/2014Poogan's Porch is, by far, our favorite restaurant in Charleston. We are made to feel like family there in the "house" with antiques and the BEST STAFF ever. Service is fabulous and the food delicious and delectable. Try the fried gator for appetizer! Poogan's gives you a feel of "old time Charleston" with all the amenities of fine dining with a true Southerm flair. A must do on your Charleston agenda!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and good atmospherebsilverVIPDined on 8/21/2014We came here on a recommendation from a friend that went to the Citadel for college and it was great. Good menu and good service. The atmosphere is also very quaint.Special Features:
- another wonderful eveningNinaDined on 8/21/2014I love this place because there are times I do not want to go out on a limb for the exotic. I have been dining here for 40 years and it is consistently wonderful food and perfect Lowcountry seafood and other local cuisine. I had the crab toast and pasta with crab and shrimp, one daughter had the ribs (we think she enjoyed them, but she was too busy eating to ask), the eldest had the fried chicken, and my husband had the duck. everything was excellent. Our server, Rosa, was delightful and another James Island girl, so we had lots to chat about. As Always, thank you thank you.Special Features:
- Not that greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014Poogan's Porch was recommended by friends when they heard we would be visiting Charleston. I was disappointed with my experience and would not recommend it to others. We made reservations as was suggested and arrived 10 minutes early to a mostly empty dinning room but upon our arrival the hostess seemed annoyed and was not at all welcoming. Our meals were average at best. The fried green tomatoes were the worst I have ever had. The mashed potatoes were good except for the large golf ball size chunk of potato in the middle of the serving. The waitress was not very friendly but was overly attentive. But the worst part of the evening was a fly that buzzed around the dinning room but mostly around our table for the entire meal.
- Great modern southern kitchenPhilippeDined on 8/19/2014Nice decor, nice food, great service. We really appreciated the menu that was divided into two parts, one for classical southern food and the second part for the modern kitchen. We opted for the second one and it was really great and well executed. Wine selection nice at affordable pricesSpecial Features:
- delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Food was great and so wasn't he service! Will definitely be back and highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJarredDined on 8/18/2014Food was amazing along with the service from the waiter and other staff. Nice change of pace from a typical restaurant. Was able to easily submit a reservation online just a few hours prior. No complaints at all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite downtown placesukcraigDined on 8/17/2014I try to get to Poogans Porch four or five times per year. I'm local, but don't like fighting the downtown traffic and parking situation. Anyway it's a great resturant for special occasions and all my visitors like going there. The food was great as usual but the service was a little disappointing on my last visit. Usually the service is stellar, but not as attentive this time. Still not terrible, but not up to the usual standards. I recommend you give Poogan's a try if you are in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice dinnerkc101Dined on 8/16/2014The biscuits and honey butter they brought before dinner were amazing, melt-in-your-mouth. The shrimp and grits and fried chicken were very good, but not to die for. Having a reservation was key--we didn't wait at all for our table. All in all it was great and we recommend it.Special Features:
- great food ansd atmosphereRoseDined on 8/15/2014Service and food excellent. Ambience of home added to experience.Special Features:
- Great low country faregourmandmomDined on 8/15/2014Great restaurant in a comfortable old historic home in Charleston . Apparently they even have their own ghost!! An upscale twist on low country favorites - I highly recommend the wedge salad and the buttermilk fried chicken! And the complimentary biscuits are supper yummy. Great for couples but also family friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/14/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the food here. Very nice decor and ambiance too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice presentation of entreesLuvmyfamDined on 8/14/2014Food was over priced for the actual taste of the meal. Appetizers & deserts were good but the fish was overcooked & the seafood pasta dish was bad. We would have sent it back if it didnt take so long for our waiter to get back to us. We spend alot of money for 5 adults who had a reservation.Special Features:
- Shrimp & Grits, Biscuits, and MorestewcruiserDined on 8/14/2014We enjoyed my wife's birthday celebration with champagne, outstanding shrimp and grits, and an enjoyable dining experience. Poogan's is nestled in the Charleston historic downtown area, and is an excellent choice for dinner. Although someone on a previous post mentioned "smart casual" attire, several men were wearing t-shirts and shorts. We were definitely over-dressed given the previous posts on attire. But the food and ambiance is excellent.Special Features:
- Not as great as expectedcharlestonvacaDined on 8/13/2014We visited Charleston last week and Poogan's Porch had been recommended to us by several friends, so we made reservations. It was a pretty restaurant and the food was good, but not as amazing as we were told it would be. Our server was nice to us, but service was kind of slow and we could tell that her other tables were more important to her by her actions. That was pretty disappointing on top of the food not being as excellent as other restaurants we visited on the trip. I would not choose Poogan's Porch again.Special Features:
- dissapointingFoodloveVIPDined on 8/13/2014after reading many great reviews in multiple travel guides and magazines, we were sad to have it be so dissapointing. we had secured reservations a month in advance yet our table was in an unattractive room which smelled of bad fish. they did move us to a better room upstairs but the table was next to a party of 15 of which 8 were small children and our waitress, though nice was not capable of handling both tables. my sons soup was delivered without a spoon until 10 min later when he finally got up to seek out a spoon himself. the wine list was nice but the food just average. location good but no reason to visit with Husk next door. overall, no reason to go here ... no view, no ambience inside and the porch for which it is named is tiny.
- Worth the experienceHomegourmetDined on 8/13/2014Quaint restaurant in an old house. Really enjoyed the server. She was fun, handled our banter with her, and was knowledgeable. Menu was a bit limited, but the entree was great. Had the stuffed chicken breast and it was tasty.Special Features:
- Not bad, not good.MCG6Dined on 8/12/20143/4 diners at table enjoyed meals and 2 said their meals were better than those they had at Husk last year. Note, they also enjoy McDonalds. I am a foodie. Fried Green Tomatoes - excellent. Perfectly cooked. Peach and cheese =great accompaniments. She Crab Soup - not memorable. Cheese Fritters - perfectly fried and good. Just not my thing.Arugula and Watermelon salad - fresh, fine, not memorable. Shrimp and Grits - bland. Bowl full of mush. Sweet Tea Salmon - so sweet it could have been any protein. Didn't taste salmon at all. Risotto poorly cooked and seasoned. BBQ Tuna - lacking flavor. Blue cheese risotto too overpowering for fish. Snapper - flavors just didn't work. No idea how it won a competition. Waiter - wonderful. Drinks - great.
- Best shrimp and grits !Spm39VIPDined on 8/10/2014Our table enjoyed delicious shrimp and grits, plantation chicken and even a pasta dish. All these entrees were great, wonderful flavor , farm fresh ingredients + presentation and nice salads and crab soup. The service from start to finish was perfect and friendly - probably our best charleston experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great charleston destination!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014Located on beautiful queen st. Poogans porch serves southern comfort food in a warm and inviting setting. Convenient to king street shopping but not far from the waterfront!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crab cakes!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/9/2014We loved the special crab cakes that we tried. The biscuits were tasty, the waitress was helpful, and the key lime pie was refreshing.Special Features:
- Simply AmazingAshleyDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I went here to celebrate my birthday and our anniversary! The server (Aaron) was awesome and so attentive! Once he found out we were celebrating he brought us champagne for dessert! The food was exactly what we were looking for, which was lowcountry cooking! I recommend the fried alligator salad and my husband would say the flourless chocolate cake is to die for!!Special Features:
- Amazing dinner!SouthernGalDined on 8/8/2014Poogan's Porch has a great "feel" about it. The waiter was thorough in explaining the menu and answering all questions we had. He also provided his personal recommendation upon request. We enjoyed the fried pimento cheese bites with green tomato jam as an appetizer. The kids devoured the macaroni and cheese. I had the pan seared grouper with pimento cheese ravioli and roasted red pepper creamed corn. It was fabulous. Hubby had the shrimp and grits which were also good, but he preferred my grouper. Would definitely recommend this eatery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticFantasticdiningCharlesDined on 8/7/2014Great food! I have never had a meal here that wasn't outstanding. I do have to admit that I was stuck on the Plantation chicken but I tried their red snapper dish and loved it too. Now I have a problem, which one will I order next time. The dessert on the special menu was delicious. When we go to Charleston this is one of our must go to places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014The Sweet Tea Glazed Salmon and Scallops were amazing...next time I visit Charleston I will most definitely return.Special Features:
- Poogan's is outstanding!PrimetimeDined on 8/6/2014My bride and I celebrated our 25th Anniversary in Charleston. I had heard only great things about Poogan's Porch and was extremely pleased with our dining experience. The food is outstanding!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Southern ComfortOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014The menu is very typical Charleston if you are looking for southern food with a gourmet flair. They take a classic and make it their own with those special flavors you want in each dish!Special Features:
- Loved it!Luv2dineDined on 8/6/2014We went to this restaurant for our 5 year anniversary and it was incredible! The food was just delicious. I had the shrimp and grits which was to die for! I wasn't a fan of shrimp and grits until I ate here. My fiancé had the buttermilk chicken fried breast and he loved it! He said it was so juicy. We also ate the she crab soup and although it was a smaller cup of soup then what we are used to it was still delicious. The waitress was incredibly nice and was super attentive. It was clean and such a beautiful place to eat. We are definitely going to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Low Country CuisineChristineMDDined on 8/6/2014The Plantation chicken and fried green tomatoes are well-executed. Homemade goat cheese accompanies the tomatoes, and I was amazed at how good it was. I was reticent to taste it because I am NOT a fan of goat cheese. This, however, was simply delicious.Special Features:
- Good Food Great ServiceJeff84Dined on 8/4/2014The food was good, I would say a little above average. The service was top notch. The only thing that was not good were the beignets. They were very oily and dense. It reminded me of almost a scone or cornbread style texture. We eat downtown almost 2 twice a week and will go back here.Special Features:
- Wonderful Southern cuisineatempDined on 8/3/2014My husband & I went here to celebrate our first anniversary and the food was fabulous. The history behind the house was also very interesting. This place will definitely be on our list of places to come back to when we return to Charleston one day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great recommendation!HartDined on 8/3/2014What a great recommendation from friends! We sat on the porch and had a lovely meal. The staff was amazing and very attentive...even with our 8-month old baby! Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poogans Porch Proves PerfectsouthernbellyDined on 8/3/2014I am the "foodie" of the group, so I am sometimes reluctant to coerce my travel companions to a place I have not tried, because generally they see the menu and if there are things they can't pronounce or entrees exceed $25., they balk. However, this restaurant was highly recommended, so I made it my one MUST DO of the trip. Glad I did!-- and so were they! Menu was accessible, and prices were reasonable. Steak, Salmon and Shrimp and grits were all perfectly prepared. Wait staff was engaging and attentive and seemed to enjoy their jobs (something I always look for). Pimento cheese fritters were my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork ChopsKrisDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I had Pork Chops with Green beans and Mac and Cheese. VERY GOOD!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingFoodieDined on 8/1/2014Outstanding. This was a favorite spot for dining during our visit to Charleston. Food was wonderful and service outstanding. Actually got in early for our reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ExperienceHokiesLuv2DineDined on 8/1/2014Wonderful place for southern food. This was out second visit to Charleston in 2 years and based on our first trip, Poogan's was our first stop. We had a great meal and service both visitsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.