Poogan's Porch Restaurant
72 Queen St
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Poogan's Porch Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poogansporch.com/
- Phone: 8435772337x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch:Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30-2:30 Dinner: Monday-Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Daniel Doyle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please call or email with any questions. Poogan's would be honored to cater your next special event. Call 843-577-2337 or email email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Poogan's Porch offers several private dining rooms newly renovated to suit your distinct style. From wedding rehearsal dinners to farewell brunches, to holiday parties and business meetings, we are able to accommodate groups of 10-110. Personal time with our party planner and you will be set for your next event in no time. We would be honored to host you next special event. Hope to hear from you soon with any of your questions or concerns.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Walton 8435772337x
A word from Poogan's Porch Restaurant
Tucked away on a charming downtown street, Poogan's Porch is one of Charleston’s oldest & most reputable culinary establishments, serving upscale Lowcountry cuisine daily. Since opening in 1976, Poogan’s has been a favorite of well-known celebrities, politicians, tourists & locals alike who rave about this Southern institution. Recognized by Martha Stewart Living, Wine Spectator & the Travel Channel, this beautifully restored Victorian house is the perfect southern locale for lunch, dinner or weekend brunch. Whether it’s a warm homemade buttermilk biscuit & sausage gravy for brunch, a bowl of she-crab soup for lunch, or our signature buttermilk fried chicken for dinner, your meal at Poogan’s will be unforgettable. Open year-round, Poogan’s Porch serves dinner seven days a week, & brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Both indoor & outdoor seating is offered, & a variety of rooms are available for special events throughout the year. Reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Poogan's Porch Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Poogan's Porch Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
476 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (268)fit for foodies (265)special occasion (243)romantic (207)great for outdoor dining (121)good for groups (104)notable wine list (71)great for lunch (71)great for brunch (62)hot spot (58)kid-friendly (43)scenic view (29)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (11)Show More
- Great placeSkinnybikerDined on 10/16/2014Wonderful food, drinks and atmosphere. Request porch seating so that you can eat outside and people watch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expected...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014This restaurant has outside dining in front, but only table's for 2. We were seated upstairs in a back room that seemed isolated. It was a little quiet, no music, sort of away from everything else, although we didn't get to look around so I'm not sure if there was another dining area elsewhere. I would think that having a reservation would mean a table in the best possible area. Our reservation was at 7:15. They were already out of both the duck and the ribs. Very disappointing since those are their known specialties. Our meal was very good, but nothing spectacular. Otherwise, service was excellent.Special Features:
- Average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/15/2014In a town with amazing food we were so disappointed by our meal here. The menu is dated and unexciting. The food was lukewarm when served and very mediocre overall.Special Features:
- Lovely experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2014Poogan's Porch was one of several restaurants recommended to us on our first trip to Charleston and did not dissappoint. Sermon a small side street in a renovated older home with first and second floor porches, it is a lovely setting. The service was impeccable and the sea scallops over homemade ravioli was cooked to perfection. My husband had the fried chicken dish from which I had two bites, despite the fact that I don't eat fried chicken. Delicious meal! Lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable, quaint atmosphereJunemacDined on 10/14/2014Our 1st visit to Poogan's Porch!! It did not disappoint - amazing fried chicken, loved the appetizer - yummy fried pimento cheese & it was a great way to spend the evening!!Special Features:
- Mini VacationSouthwesternVacationerVIPDined on 10/13/2014While busy for a Monday night, the restaurant kept the reservation time. Tables are set sufficiently apart that you can carry on a conversation without having to raise your voice. Service was very good. Sizeable portion of Fried Green Tomatoes as an appetizer with roasted catfish as my entrée. Meal was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!FoodieDined on 10/12/2014Outdoor dining was perfect! Food was really good! Best pork chop and mac and cheese ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little awkwardOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014My girlfriend and I came here while on a weekend trip to Charleston and would say that despite this being the most expensive meal of the trip, it was probably our least favorite of the weekend. Aside from the cheese fritters, we were not excited by any of the food we got and left feeling heavy. The ambiance was not that great either -- we were asked to wait near the bar until our table opened but that part of the restaurant reeked of some awful dying smell that we were eager to get away from. I get that they were probably trying to maintain the historical feel of the place, but the seats and table were too big and not comfortable. Between that and the food, we were disappointed by what was supposed to be the highlight meal of our trip.
- beyond expectations!hw609Dined on 10/12/2014The best food experience in Charleston. The service was excellent and the food exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adequate patio spaceRVAFineFoodsDined on 10/11/2014Close to sidewalk, street, unfortunate scaffolding on Mills House opposite narrows and scars the outdoor spaces. The lore is wonderful and walking your guides stopping to explain it compete with the dining experience.
- Perfectly differentDJinCharlestonDined on 10/10/2014Our dinner at Poogan's Porch was great in all ways. The location, off King Street, made for a quiet, quaint experience. The tables being served on the porch and patio looked inviting and relaxed. We were seated in the front room in the neat old house. There were only five tables in the room so it was quiet and intimate. Our server was friendly, informative and attentive. The food, from the appetizer of the pimento cheese fritters to the entrée of scallops and shrimp were wonderful. The dessert menu was fine, we were too full to indulge. Great place, great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- moxieroseDined on 10/10/2014We had a wonderful meal, lovely service & a kind complimentary champagne toast for our 30th Anniversary. We had the best & only alligator salad of our lives, terrific She Crab Soup with two fabulous fish entrees. It was one of our favorite meals during our visit..Special Features:
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/9/2014Great night spent at Poogans, we were lucky to sit on the upstairs porch and had delicious food and drinks for a very reasonable price considering what we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodSphillipsDined on 10/9/2014We have eaten here twice the food was fantastic both times. The waiters are friendly and check on you often to ensure you do not need anything. The house is old and adds to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kenabeDined on 10/9/2014Had a great meal at Poogan's Porch. I had the pan-seared scallops over pimento cheese filled ravioli and creamed sweet corn. Scallops were absolutely delicious - large, sweet, and cooked perfectly. Ravioli and creamed corn ware great complements. My wife had the "ribs and mac" dish. She reports that the ribs literally fell of the bone and the gouda cheese macaroni was superb. Aaron was an outstanding server - attentive and helpful but unobtrusive. Very highly recommended dining experience.Special Features:
- Disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Poogan's was recommended by a friend. We were disappointed in the food quality for the price. As expensive as the meal was it should have been better. The service was OK. With all the other restaurant choices in town we will go somewhere else.
- Excellent FoodrosieDined on 10/8/2014The salmon dish I had was excellent. I would certainly go back.Special Features:
- good old PoogansrickDined on 10/7/2014Not the best in Charleston, but still a good meal at a reasonable price and has been that way for many years.Special Features:
- A Southern GemJmontel99VIPDined on 10/6/2014First let me say the staff including the Bar Tender were extremely knowledgable about the new menu. I got the fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy yum!!! My wife got crab bruschetta and salad, others had the grits and seafood. Everything we had was excellent !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good to v good but not greatAdelaDined on 10/6/2014We were a little disappointed with Poogans porch. The meal was good but not noteworthy. Maybe because they had just changed over to their Fall menu and we tried some of the new items. The Seafood and grit cake was bland, not enough flavor to the grits, not enough sauce. The beef filet was excellent but the vegetables that came with it were a bit over the hill. Sitting on the veranda upstairs was lovely and our waitress was wonderful. I think the food is overrated compared to other establishments in Charleston.Special Features:
- good spotNYCJulieDined on 10/5/2014I loved the history of the building and the ambience of the house that the restaurant is housed in The food was good as well. I'd go back just because the building is so cool!Special Features:
- Good food...Service not ExcellentChucktownvisitorDined on 10/5/2014Several Rooms for dining. "echoy" Waitress wore jeans and restaurant had table cloths and cloth napkins. Odd combo. Food was a bit delayed between courses, but was very good...I had salmon, husband had pork chop. Tasted his...pork chop was overcooked for my liking (dry). Salmon was very good. Cooked perfectly. It is a quaint home with an historical story that is interesting and the food was not disappointing, but service was not any better than most chain restaurants and certainly not to the level of the menu pricing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return VisitBillDined on 10/5/2014My wife and I enjoy this restaurant that we visit whenever in Charleston, SC. The ambiance of the area, selections on the menu, service and overall experience continues to brings us back. It is always relaxing so we just sit back and enjoy the time we get to visit at one of our favorite restaurants in the Charleston area. Already have plans for next year to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/5/2014Great Food...Great Service. Blue Cheese Dumplings were AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/5/2014We all enjoyed our meal. Server was very attentive and friendly. A very nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but not greatTheShimVIPDined on 10/5/2014We had a nice, if unmemorable, experience. We called to say we were running a few minutes late for our reservation and were told we had better hurry since they could not accommodate us later. Arrived 20 minutes late and were seated in th upstairs room that was (and remained) half empty. What's that about? Food was okay with the Mac and cheese being the highlight. Fried oyster salad was over seasoned, with wilted greens and less than crispy oysters. Service was attentive and informative. Charleston offers many better options
- 7 friends have time of their lifenewyearbabyDined on 10/4/2014If others complain about the noise level it's because of us. We had a large table in a beautiful upstairs room. Our server was lovely and the food was exceptional. Each of us agreed it was the best meal of our trip. The wedge salad is made with Boston lettuce not tasteless Iceberg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pooghan's PorchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2014Exceptional service with attention to detail to enhance our dining and celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dnining @ Poogan's Porch...CaptainDaveDined on 10/4/2014is a wonderful escape from the ritual of the normal southern seafood house eatery. Your meal is prepared by a Chef. The service is spectacular. Even the charm of your surroundings as you dine ,all just add to the special way this neighborhood gem can serve you. If you are used to the Calabash style buffet, that will have anything from spaghetti to green beans on it, and have to wait for an hour to be seated, then take a moment this fall to actually dine. The way you would on a cruise ship.Be seated promptly, care for, and waited on, and most of all enjoy the delicacies the Chef has prepared from what is local and fresh. We enjoyed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Gem of Charleston!bostonvisitorDined on 10/2/2014We had heard good things about Poogan's Porch and decided to try it while in Charleston. Everything was VERY good and we couldn't have been happier with our selection. The food and service was outstanding. It was the best meal we ate in Charleston! Our waiter was busy, but attentive and every dish was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!cbrottiemomDined on 10/2/2014I have had Poogan's Porch on my list to eat at the last couple trips to Charleston and I am so sad that it kept getting pushed off the itinerary... it is delicious! My husband and I loved everything about this cute restaurant - our waitress was so sweet and accommodating, even including a to-go fork and knife with my leftovers. Husband ate the shrimp and grits and I had the she crab soup and the mac and cheese, paired with a killer glass of Pinot Grigio for me and a bourbon for him, we left happy and full. Prices are what you'd expect, but worth it. Even eating on a Thursday, you need a reservation. Parking deck is near by and better then trying to find parking on the street, I think we paid $9 for the time we ate.Special Features:
- Great southern foodtjor413VIPDined on 10/2/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Poogan's Porch. Really couldn't ask for more.Special Features:
- Wifes BirthdayStevieBDined on 10/1/2014When our favorite go to local restaurant closed I wondered where I was going to take my wife for her birthday. As we were going to be in Myrtle Beach for the week, Poogan's Porch was the obvious choice. We had eaten there once before and had a wonderful time. We weren't disappointed.The restaurant, the staff. and most of all the food couldn't have been better. I envy the people that live close by, that can make this more than a special occasion restaurant.Special Features:
- KippyjDined on 9/28/2014We tried to get into Poogan's Porch last summer to no avail. We made reservations in advance this visit to Charleston and had a fabulous dinner. Everything on the menu sounded fabulous. I had scallops, my husband had shrimp and grits, which had just won a culinary award and my son had the duck. We all raved. The portions are a perfect size, the she-crab soup was divine and the wines outstanding. I can't wait to return to Charleston and a visit to Poogan's Porch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint Charleston GemlipsticknvinoDined on 9/28/2014Poogans porch is nestled conveniently off of Queen St in an old historic Charleston house that has been converted to a reataurant. We made reservations and we're seated immediately. The people in front of us had not and we're told it would be an hour to an hour and 1/2 wait so reservations are encouraged and this was a rainy Sunday night! Food was on time, delicious and portions were approprate. Biscuits are melt in your mouth with honey butter. Service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!JohnPDined on 9/28/2014Very good meal with all of the trimmings like great service, very good wine list and fabulous food. I thought that the value was excellent as well. The staff use's a team concept which works very well for them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebrating with BFFNYCgirl1955Dined on 9/27/2014Grouper with pimento cheese ravioli was outstanding - my friend had fried chicken & she enjoyed as well. I have recommended to friends visiting in charleston in October -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnfriendlyMartyDined on 9/26/2014We arrived and had one extra show up. We asked to add a chair and we were given a hard time saying it was a safety issue for the server. When we got to our table we were along a back wall in a corner where we could easily add a chair and have no impact on server. When we finally were situated our server constantly reached over food with their arm directly over our food, and not even an excuse me. Finally after dinner our check was brought out without being offered coffee or desert. Very disappointing
- Very secluded but worth the findBmccDined on 9/26/2014Secluded location on Queen Street but worth the find. An old house with a great porch. Food very fresh and well prepared. Service very quick. Food almost arrived too quickly. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy 23rd AnniversaryHappy23rdAnniversaryDined on 9/25/2014We were looking for a place to celebrate our 23rd anniversary and the experience we had at Poogan's Porch was very enjoyable. We will differently be coming back to try your Brunch. Thank you for the wonderful dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.