Poogan's Porch Restaurant
72 Queen St
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Poogan's Porch Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poogansporch.com/
- Phone: 8435772337x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch:Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30-2:30 Dinner: Monday-Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Daniel Doyle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please call or email with any questions. Poogan's would be honored to cater your next special event. Call 843-577-2337 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Poogan's Porch offers several private dining rooms newly renovated to suit your distinct style. From wedding rehearsal dinners to farewell brunches, to holiday parties and business meetings, we are able to accommodate groups of 10-110. Personal time with our party planner and you will be set for your next event in no time. We would be honored to host you next special event. Hope to hear from you soon with any of your questions or concerns.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Walton 8435772337x
A word from Poogan's Porch Restaurant
Tucked away on a charming downtown street, Poogan's Porch is one of Charleston’s oldest & most reputable culinary establishments, serving upscale Lowcountry cuisine daily. Since opening in 1976, Poogan’s has been a favorite of well-known celebrities, politicians, tourists & locals alike who rave about this Southern institution. Recognized by Martha Stewart Living, Wine Spectator & the Travel Channel, this beautifully restored Victorian house is the perfect southern locale for lunch, dinner or weekend brunch. Whether it’s a warm homemade buttermilk biscuit & sausage gravy for brunch, a bowl of she-crab soup for lunch, or our signature buttermilk fried chicken for dinner, your meal at Poogan’s will be unforgettable. Open year-round, Poogan’s Porch serves dinner seven days a week, & brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Both indoor & outdoor seating is offered, & a variety of rooms are available for special events throughout the year. Reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Poogan's Porch Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Poogan's Porch Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
495 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (286)fit for foodies (278)special occasion (268)romantic (222)great for outdoor dining (128)good for groups (106)notable wine list (83)great for brunch (70)great for lunch (66)hot spot (62)kid-friendly (46)scenic view (38)late-night find (18)vibrant bar scene (8)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014The food was great and our waiter Jamie was even better. We were taken care of from the time we walked in. We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Charleston ClassicGarfDined on 9/15/2014Archetypical Charleston! Excellent Low Country dishes in an old Charleston House. Service both attentive and friendly. Noise level is low, making for easy conversation. I always take out of town guests here for a genuine Charleston dining experience.Special Features:
- Accommodating for food allergiesMrsHDined on 9/14/2014My husband and I dined here upon recommendation, so I booked a table on Open Table. I noted my food allergies when I reserved the table. We arrived and I let the waitress know about my my food allergies, then she went back to the kitchen and the chef came out to speak with me about how we could modify the menu item I was interested in for dinner - he had printed out the note I wrote when booking my reservation through Open Table. They prepared a fresh salad for me with oil and vinegar then sauteed veggies with a filet for dinner. The meal was really nice and it was a relief for me that they took such great care to prepare a meal for me that I could eat without worry. My husband enjoyed the pimento fritters very much and the chicken.Special Features:
- What fun!SusanDined on 9/14/2014Great experience with our out of town business guests. They loved it!Special Features:
- Great venue especiallyballera33Dined on 9/14/2014It's really cool to have a meal in an old Charleston home so I would definitely recommend. I've been here for brunch before and it was awesome! My friend and I opted out of Restaurant Week for our dinner and I had the duck entree, which was the star of the show!! She had the scallops and they were great, although few of them, but the bacon risotto cake (which sounded like it should have been the star) was quite bland! That risotto cake was very disappointing, but everything else was delicious. The server misheard my wine order, but generously offered a free glass afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week Gem!AuntieJanDined on 9/11/2014This is our 2nd visit and the food is fabulous! I enjoyed the Red Snapper tremendously, so delicious with every bite? Everything was so good. We arrived early and they were able to seat us 25 minutes ahead of our reservation. Great service, great knowledgeable staff. Love it here!Special Features:
- Locals, don't go during rest. weekJenniferDined on 9/11/2014I'm a local who goes often. Normally we are greeted as return costumers with superior service to go with the outstanding food. It was my daughter's birthday and despite the notes I put on the reservation, we were treated like a tourist, spoken to as if we were just passing through and were only after a good deal, and mostly ignored. The waitress stopped with our food in her hands while it was cooling every second, to check on two tables along the way. My daughter's birthday went unnoticed and we were generally shuffled through "en mass". I will make sure we do not come during large events like this again because this is NOT the Pogan's Porch she specifically requested for her birthday meal.Special Features:
- One of my favorites.JudyDined on 9/11/2014Poogan's is fantasic. It never lets me down.. The service is great, and the food superb. I am never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- low country gemkatmix0527Dined on 9/10/2014Absolutely loved every bite. Very diverse low country inspired menu and fast, excellent service. Make sure to call in a reservation as this place books quickly. We want on a Wednesday during the off season and this place was still pleasantly packed. Lots of charm and history. Loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014Always a treat to go downtown for a dinner in one of the many historic landmark buildings such as this one. After dinner you can stroll around downtown and enjoy a wonderful evening in Charleston. Our server was terrific and the food, as always, was great. We will be back...again...and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must dine in CharlestonONEJourneySteveDined on 9/10/2014No Charleston trip would be complete without a meal at Poogan's Porch. You might also be interested in the ghost who lives there.Special Features:
- poogans restaurant week diningdessertproDined on 9/9/2014the biscuits and now the benets were delightful, the wait was 20 minutes but it was restaurant week- a pesky fly interfered with dinner- and we were not outside- seafood was very goodSpecial Features:
- Southern Hospitality!KarenCVIPDined on 9/9/2014Lovely old home setting divided into rooms that gives some privacy from the number of diners in the place simultaneously. Our server Rosa was attentive and gracious. We had the snapper and grouper entrees and the fish was cooked perfectly. Snapper was accompanied by cheddar grits cake, pulled pork and wilted arugula in a stack. Now, in my mind, pork and fish should not be on the same plate. But Rosa's advice was to get a bite of everything on the fork at once. And that worked! The sweet pork, slightly bitter arugula and grits and fish all melded into a tasty bite. Save room for dessert. The pecan pie is to die for (better than my homemade version) and is served with a small scoop of chocolate and bacon ice cream. Love this place!Special Features:
- Excellent Southern CharmJMG12Dined on 9/8/2014Our dinner experience was wonderful; everything we would expect from a Southern hot spot like Poogan's Porch. The wait staff was friendly and the food was excellent! We enjoyed the fried green tomatoes, shrimp & grits and bread pudding. It was all delicious!Special Features:
- GoodHoneyDined on 9/7/2014Overall the food was good just not as good as a previous visit. Crab appetizer ok. Bourbon Pecan pie good but not what I expect. Main course for both excellent. Waitress was excellent never wanted for anything! 5 starSpecial Features:
- Extremely Disappointingnotnew2diningDined on 9/6/2014On a recent trip to Charleston, my husband and I carefully planned our evenings around highly recommended restaurants in historical downtown. Although Poogan's Porch was an easy walk from our hotel, the Belfour Charleston Place, we were met by apathetic hostesses, a dirty restaurant, less than mediocre food, and a waiter who thought he was just about the cutest pirate-wanna-be in the city. Altogether a bad experience for us. Will not recommend.
- Need to revisitWantgodfoodDined on 9/6/2014Finally got around to eating at Poogan's Porch last weekend. Our son attended the Citadel for college and never came back home to Maryland. As a result, my husband and I have eaten in just about every restaurant in Charleston during the past 6 years. Poogan's Porch has a somewhat standard low country menu, but with some interesting additions which does make it standout. Unfortunately, I don't feel like the food measured up to my expectations. I don't believe anyone was thrilled with their dish. The duck was ok, the pork chop (fried, not grilled) was also good and the fish (trout, I believe) was mediocre. The prices are quite reasonable for downtown. I will go back to see if we just got a bad night.Special Features:
- Deliciouslike2eatDined on 9/6/2014This was our first visit and it happened to be during restaurant week. Fantastic. The Snapper was so good. My wife had the ribs which were also great. Environment was very different, like an old house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeeklowcountrygirlDined on 9/5/2014We had a really great meal during restaurant week. The server was very attentive and polite. I asked to sub the snapper onto the plating for the catfish dish and the kitchen was kind enough to honor my request with no problems. And it was really delicious! We both enjoyed our meals very much and left extremely full. Great experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014The food was very good but the service was a little rushed. I don't think it was the fault of the server rather the kitchen seemed to prepare the food very quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerCandCDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I joined two friends here for Restaurant Week and had a great experience. The food was well presented and beautifully prepared, with a diverse range of Charlestonian and Southern favorites. Seafood and all ingredients were locally sourced and of very high quality. While the restaurant was full, we did not feel rushed in any way, and enjoyed dining and talking in leisurely style. We look forward to returning to try more options from the menu. Overall, and outstanding experience.Special Features:
- Low country classicsFrogkissDined on 9/4/2014Poogan's Porch's fried chicken was featured on FN's show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate," so we figured we couldn't go wrong by dining there for our last meal in the Low Country before heading back North. The entree menu has 2 sections: Classics and Modern Dishes; we stuck with the classics. We started with an heirloom tomato salad and a bowl of she crab soup. (I had to try the soup as it was on the menu of literally every restaurant we visited on our trip.) My wife had the buttermilk fried chicken and I opted for the cast iron skillet pork chop. Both dishes were well presented and delicious; my wife said it was indeed the best fried chicken she has eaten in a long time. Our server was friendly, attentive and helpful with recommendations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- JBrownDined on 9/4/2014Food was very good and server was efficient and timely. Items came out rapidly but we were slightly earlier than dinner rush. The dining room decor, at least on the first level, in my opinion didn't quite jive with the historic property (it was atttractive, however). All in all, a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resting on laurels?PHXfinedinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014Had a nice restaurant week dinner here but honestly I expected more than I got. We had salad, veggies & crab toast for starters then Snapper (base VERY salty), catfish & flat iron steak for entrees with pecan pie & beigne's (?) for dessert. I guess I wondered why they didn't put any of their entree 'specialties' on the RW menu. The service here was lacking and it seemed that we were particularly service deprived as we noticed the service level at other nearby tables, in the hands of different waiters, was superior to ours. The overall feeling is that this is supposed to be a upscale/gourmet dining venue and, in our experience, it is not. The plates are pretty and the decor is very nice. No espresso machine….r-e-a-l-l-y…!!!???Special Features:
- Vols2002Dined on 9/3/2014WENT THERE FOR RESTAURANT WEEK. GREAT FOOD AND SERVICE. WILL RETURN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poogans is the #1in charlestonCeltic19Dined on 9/3/2014I would definitely recommend poogans porch to anybody, it was our second time there and it is a must in charleston. We waited at the bar for our table and the bar man very attentive. We were seated upstairs . The waiter was excellent very knowledgable about menu and wine list. We had FRied green tomatoes and soup for starters excellent choice, it was restaurant week and my husband had hanger steak good choice. I had grouper beautiful,nicest I've ever had.the wine recommend was a very good choice also. It was busy but noise level was quiet. The ambience was great as always. It was worth every penny,I would not think it's overpriced as the service and food you get is unbelievable. It has a nice little bar scene. I would definitely go back ...Special Features:
- Great experienceJulie1964Dined on 9/2/2014I must start by saying that Charleston in general has wonderful food. Poogan's Porch was outstanding and reasonably priced for the quality. The seared tuna was amazing! Very good, relaxed service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Enjoy Poogan'sjamesoneatsalotDined on 9/2/2014I love to bring friends, family, and visitors to Poogan's Porch to show them some real Charleston charm. Poogan's has my favorite shrimp and grits in town and I'm never let down by the buttermilk fried chicken and I'm always pleased by the delicious the scallop dish. Our waitress was friendly, accomodating, on-top of it, and sweet. It's always an enjoyable, lovely evening (or brunch) at Poogan's.Special Features:
- Excellent foodASmithDined on 9/1/2014We dined at Poogan's Porch from the recommendation of a friend. I am so glad we chose to do so. The food was awesome and our waiter was top notch. He had wonderful recommendations and was very knowledgeable of the menu items. We would definitely return if we visit Charleston in the future.Special Features:
- Enjoyable but not notableLovegrt8foodDined on 9/1/2014We were seated upstairs at a nice table. Our waiter was nice, but spoke so quietly we could barely hear what he was saying throughout the entire evening. Our food was good, but nothing was over the top, which was disappointing because friends had given us rave reviews about the food here. After completing our entrees, the waiter asked if there was anything else he could get us. He had something behind his back (which I assumed was a dessert menu). Typically one doesn't have to ask a waiter to bring dessert or coffee - they suggest it and one replies either yes or no, so I thought this was odd. At any rate, I'd give Poogan's another try when we visit Charleston again, but I really can't give it a rave review for this visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Chef was flexible and accommodating on specific request. Our meal was fabulous. The pimento cheese fritters were yummy! Service was perfect. A "must do" in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Couldn't ask for better . Pork chop was delectable drinks from bar was perfect .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant DiningHerbieDined on 8/30/2014This place came highly recommended by a few of my friends. I was not disappointed. The atmosphere was very nice and it was not loud at all. The wine selection was excellent as well as the food selection. There was something on the menu that would satisfy everyone. The portion size was perfect and surprising. It was more than I expected. I will definitely make this restaurant a must visit on my next trip to Charleston.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Great place to eat, just make sure you book a reservation for the best experience. I loved it!Special Features:
- Great Charleston dining.TxTravlrDined on 8/30/2014Excellent meal and service. Superior to prior night meal at the Peninisula. Pimento cheese fritters were awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionKiawahFanDined on 8/30/2014This was our first visit, and we understand why this place is regarded so highly. We were seated at a lovely window table, and every one of the 12 menu items we ordered was superb - we liked the menu and food here better than that of its highly acclaimed neighbor. We will definitely return to Poogans on our next trip to Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner at Poogan's PorchGreatfood4UDined on 8/30/2014I took my wife there for her birthday. Great food and great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Venue - superior servicekmo13Dined on 8/29/2014What a wonderful find, and right in downtown in the heart of Charleston. Service was excellent as was the food. And the staff went above and beyond to provide us a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Classic Charleston diningTonyDined on 8/27/2014This is a great place to feel historic Charleston while enjoying outstanding food prepared in the best Southern style. Dine in the rooms of this old historic home, or eat on the outdoor 'porch'! You can not go wrong with either choice.Special Features:
- As Good As It Always WasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/27/2014The last time I ate here was almost 25 years ago and I loved it then. We went back all these years later and it's as good as it always was! I had the ribs and they were the best I've ever eaten. Perfectly seasoned, the meat falls off the bone. We ate on the upper porch and watched the street below. The service was attentive without being overbearing. The food is absolutely PERFECTION.Special Features: