218 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pontybistro.com/
- Phone: (212) 777-1616
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Saturday- 9am- Midnight
Sunday- 9am- 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Chekh & Cisse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
Have your next party with specialties from Ponty Bistro.
We do catering for any size group. Let us help you plan your next event.
- Entertainment: 2 for 1 Martini $12
Early Bird 3 courses $25
Prix Fixed Lunch 3 courses $ 19
Saturday and Sunday Brunch Prix Fixed $20
- Special Events: Planning a special event? We can accommodate parties from 10 to 60 guests. We offer a special menu customized for your needs to create an ever lasting memory for your special event.
- Cross Street: Between 18th and 19th Street
- Public Transit: 4, 5, 6, N, R, W, Q and L train to Union Square / 14th Street Station will leave you just a few blocks from the restaurant. You could also take the #6 to 23rd Street. The M101 and M102 stops within a block of our restaurant on Third Avenue going uptown or downtown.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Ponty Bistro
Owners and executive chefs Cisse and Cheikh welcome you and your guests to experience Ponty Bistro's "African Fusion," cuisine, featuring the sophisticated flavors and cooking traditions of Senegal and West Africa, combined with French and Mediterranean dishes. Our goal is to offer the most exciting, memorable meals you will ever encounter, designed to leave a satisfying experience with every bite, no matter what time of day you join us. We will welcome you with warm hospitality and exceptional service. Our guests return because of the entire experience at Ponty Bistro. Our motto is "Good Food, Good Friends," so please join us. We are open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night meals. We also offer a weekend brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ponty Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (20)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (8)romantic (7)good for groups (7)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Cozy bistro on 3rdOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/18/2014We had a very taste meal and good service. I would definitely returnI would recommend this to a friend.
- Dishes small but tastyExcellentDined on 11/16/2014Chicken in chicken parm was quite small and too thin with a bit too much breading. The other chicken dish was also small. Although the food was good, the amounts were somewhat limited.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2014Met friends for brunch. We were able to sit for a long time and talk, without being made to feel uncomfortable. Food was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, but very noiseyNYCJeanVIPDined on 11/16/2014The Sunday brunch was just fine, although not very French, which is what I expected. The noise level was very high and the tables too close together to really enjoy our meal. Otherwise the food was OK and the prices not bad, so maybe we'll give it another try for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatpreshowDined on 11/15/2014Mussels were excellent. I had the fish which was overly salty. My friend had the lamb shank also overly salty. The restaurant was overly crowded and noisy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dealnightoutDined on 11/11/2014was looking for nclose to Union Sq theater picked this went on a tuesday & had pleasant surprise of the Tangine Tuesday specails (also there is a mussels monday deal) both lamg & seafood tangine were great worth every penny & more, definitely worth a return trip!! Several days later I am still savoring that tasty lamp shank spicy, but oh so good house wine was even decentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptionally diverse menuCSRNYCVIPDined on 11/7/2014for a small restaurant with a small kitchen, the range of types of food on the menu is enormous. I stayed with the Berber varieties (the specialty and ethnic origin of the chef)Special Features:
- foodieloverDined on 11/5/2014Good service and ambience. Interesting and varied menu. We ate the dishes which had more of an African influence and found it to be flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem!cookieVIPDined on 10/24/2014Interesting and delicious dishes that surprise and delight the palate, served by friendly and helpful staff in a pleasant casual atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodDiKuDined on 10/11/2014it serves excellent food, good service, yummy dessertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Hunt2JsDined on 10/11/2014We had the Niokolokoba steak (a personal favorite) and the Poulet tangine this time. I've tried many things on the menu over the past years. The food is excellent! We also enjoyed the martinis! Staff is very friendly and accommodating! If you are ever in the Gramercy area, Ponty Bistro should be a stop for a great culinary experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousPentimentoVIPDined on 9/28/2014We had the Senegalese fish. Very, very good. Good martinis. Pleasant service. Plan to return for the prix fixe menu during the week.Special Features:
- Loved It!BigODined on 9/26/2014Delicious & great prices! I definitely will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceRobert009Dined on 9/13/2014I went for dinner on Saturday night and it was not crowded, but also not loud and a pleasant experience overall. Food was very good (not great), but very solid and I particularly like the Artichoke salad. Dessert was just okay and the fish (Branzino) was good.Special Features:
- A Neighborhood FavoriteGailDined on 8/31/2014Ponty Bistro is a reliable and delicious dinner spot in the Gramercy Park Neighborhood. The service is also always exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous with only one exceptionEpiscodinerDined on 8/27/2014Ponty Bistro was my go to restaurant when I lived in Gramercy Park. I got to know the chef and the wait staff: friendly, outgoing, attentive and always happy to see you. The food is a fine combination of West African and French with a dash of American favorites thrown in for good measure. Occassionally imaginative. Reliably tasty. Reasonably priced. Small but well chosen and moderate wine list. Always glad to be there.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Fairly standard bistro fare with a few African dishes. Really few that seemed distinctly African.
- Wonderful price fix Sunday brunchHamilton1Dined on 8/3/2014Enjoyed the setting that was intimate and small. Great open air front window on a beautiful day. Price fix Sunday brunch menu was delightful. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific service & delicious lunchGerryVIPDined on 7/31/2014Great for lunch or dinner. Food cooked just right. Waiter very attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exotic & deliciousMyrrhmazDined on 7/25/2014Friday I was looking online for a menu that wasn't just the same old. Ponty Bistro interested me: French-Mediterranean-African. It was a small to medium sized restaurant with gracious servers. I had the largest and best vodka martini ever followed by whole branzino, although the Senegalese options looked interesting as well. My husband ordered escargots which were breaded and buttery, followed by duck l'orange with mashed yams and spinach. He's very picky so I was relieved he approved! My fish was perfect, accompanied by mesclun salad and sweet plaintains. And the desserts were scrumptious: chocolate cake as well as caramelized apples with cinnamon ice cream. The prices were moderate, too. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- The following 290 reviews are from the Ponty Bistro reviews archive.
- Luv2eatVIPDined on 7/23/2014Ponty is very good for meat dishes. Nice service and open front window onto the street. Interesting menu. I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood FindlovegoodfoodVIPDined on 7/7/2014If you want great food, Ponty is the perfect neighborhood restaurant. Although the space is cramped, the service is very good and the food hard to beat.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/6/2014really great place! food is delicious and service is easy. i've been during the day only, and never disappointed. always leave satisfied; happy and full!Special Features:
- Delicious!ShananaDined on 7/4/2014We ate at 5:30, so there was virtually no one there but us, so it was very quiet. It was a warm day and we sat at the front by the open that open on to the street, so it was almost like being outside, and it was Jully 4, so very little traffic - very nice ambiance. The food was delicious. We had the arugula salad, Afraican mussels appetizer, branzino filet, and stuffed flounder. I especially loved the salad and the branzino. The service was fine although a bit impersonal or abrupt at times, but fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pony a winnerLuv2DineDined on 6/22/2014African Mussels a must. I had the Duck A' lorange. Very good and very lean for duck. Tuna Tartare very tasty with some spice that made it uniqueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, Open Table issuesFoodie31Dined on 6/17/2014The food was amazing. However the menu was different from the menu on open table. The restaurant actually accommodated my request for a salad that was on the open table menu, but charged more for it than the price on open table. Also, I booked and found this reservation with the 1000 point filter and I only received 100 points on open table. I inquiried about this with open table and they said it was due to the timing of my reservation and that at the time I booked it, it was only 100 points. This was not stated when I made my reservation. I am frustrated with open table's response of not honoring my filtered search on 1000 points.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time just as good as the 1stLuv2eatVIPDined on 6/6/2014This is a very easy neighborhood restaurant. I love the food and the service is just attentive enough. Looks unassuming, but food is delicious and the atmosphere pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting cuisineNYCseniorDined on 6/3/2014The French/Senegalese menu offers interesting choices at reasonable prices. I've been back a number of times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/24/2014Ponty's is absolutely a lovely restaurant and the owners are amazing. Everyone there makes you feel so welcome! The food is deliciously delightful and they go out of their way to acccommodate your needs.Special Features:
- Worth the visitKevinVIPDined on 5/22/2014Everything I saw looked great and my entire dinner was spot on and just what I wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placefoodiebynatureDined on 5/13/2014The food is good and I found the staff and chef to be very personable. It was a weeknight and it was fairly quiet but still very nice. I would recommend.Special Features:
- Mothers Day 2014!cachicocoDined on 5/11/2014Our family of 5 ate at the restaurant for Mothers Day and had a wonderful time!!! The service was great and the food was excellent!! Definitely recommend a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2014Except for a very noisy nearby table, the experience was very gratifying. Will definitely plan to return!Special Features:
- Love This Place!TMTNYVIPDined on 5/4/2014Ponty's has never disappointed. Recently went for Sunday brunch, and it was great. The service is friendly and just attentive enough. The food is always delicious and they don't mind substitutions! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Pony up to the Ponty BistrolawesmanDined on 5/3/2014Very interesting and eclectic combinations. There was something for everyone on the menu, the ginger martinis were amazing, and the food came out very hot and fresh. There was some confusion with the food runners, but everyone had a good attitude. I think this place is a hidden gem and one worth exploring.Special Features:
- where's the chef??KBellDined on 5/3/2014My sister came to visit and see me perform in a pkay. The only time we had for brunch, was 10am before my 1130am call. Our options were limites, but Ponty recieved good reviews and the meu looked great. We arrived on time, orderes cocktails and were told it would be just a few minutes as the chef had not uet arrived. 40 minutes later, the chef was still not there! We were told multiple times "he's on his way.", but we had to leave. The loan server was very apologetic and comped our drinks, but it was still unbelievablr as we were a reservation and not a walk in. Who does that? Im not even sute the chef showed up at all. We drove past a half hour later and the pkace was still empty and appeared chef-less.
- What a delightful surpriseMJP60VIPDined on 5/2/2014I have walked by this place 1050 times and never went tried, I am so glad I did finally. GREAT martinis and the food was delicious. I will be back.Special Features:
- Not what we had hoped!!foodiesRusDined on 5/2/2014We were quite disappointed. We went for my boyfriends birthday and the appetizer (cheese puffs) we ordered was still not just cold but frozen in the middle. Then the food came the way we specifically said we didnt want it. It was sent back to the kitchen and returned properly. The waitress didnt come to our table often enough and just felt the overall service was poor.
- Ponty is a PLEASUREGalAboutTownDined on 5/1/2014Ponty's food is always spot-on DELICIOUS. Their servers are worldly and very patient. The crowd tends to be older couples, or very young adults, so it's an interesting patron mix. The plates are artfully prepared, and a great feast for the eyes well before pleasing the taste buds. Their Sangria is top-notch and the wine selection is great. The african beer selection is awesome, and in the summer they open the front windows so it's like being at the beach (though there's no beach in sight)! The chefs visit the floor and ask how the meal is going--imparting a very old school & caring experience, You can tell everyone who works at Ponty LOVES food and the restaurant industry. Try Ponty Bistro at least once, you won't regret it.Special Features:
- DinerPaulDined on 4/27/2014This is an excellent neighborhood bistro. Highly recommend. The mussels are especially memorable. The chef does a good job, using the West African spices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.