218 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pontybistro.com/
- Phone: 2127771616x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Saturday- 9am- Midnight
Sunday- 9am- 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Chekh & Cisse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
Have your next party with specialties from Ponty Bistro.
We do catering for any size group. Let us help you plan your next event.
- Entertainment: 2 for 1 Martini $12
Early Bird 3 courses $25
Prix Fixed Lunch 3 courses $ 19
Saturday and Sunday Brunch Prix Fixed $20
- Special Events: Planning a special event? We can accommodate parties from 10 to 60 guests. We offer a special menu customized for your needs to create an ever lasting memory for your special event.
- Cross Street: Between 18th and 19th Street
- Public Transit: 4, 5, 6, N, R, W, Q and L train to Union Square / 14th Street Station will leave you just a few blocks from the restaurant. You could also take the #6 to 23rd Street. The M101 and M102 stops within a block of our restaurant on Third Avenue going uptown or downtown.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Ponty Bistro
Owners and executive chefs Cisse and Cheikh welcome you and your guests to experience Ponty Bistro's "African Fusion," cuisine, featuring the sophisticated flavors and cooking traditions of Senegal and West Africa, combined with French and Mediterranean dishes. Our goal is to offer the most exciting, memorable meals you will ever encounter, designed to leave a satisfying experience with every bite, no matter what time of day you join us. We will welcome you with warm hospitality and exceptional service. Our guests return because of the entire experience at Ponty Bistro. Our motto is "Good Food, Good Friends," so please join us. We are open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night meals. We also offer a weekend brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ponty Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (17)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (12)romantic (8)good for groups (6)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Fairly standard bistro fare with a few African dishes. Really few that seemed distinctly African.
- Wonderful price fix Sunday brunchHamilton1Dined on 8/3/2014Enjoyed the setting that was intimate and small. Great open air front window on a beautiful day. Price fix Sunday brunch menu was delightful. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific service & delicious lunchGerryDined on 7/31/2014Great for lunch or dinner. Food cooked just right. Waiter very attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exotic & deliciousMyrrhmazDined on 7/25/2014Friday I was looking online for a menu that wasn't just the same old. Ponty Bistro interested me: French-Mediterranean-African. It was a small to medium sized restaurant with gracious servers. I had the largest and best vodka martini ever followed by whole branzino, although the Senegalese options looked interesting as well. My husband ordered escargots which were breaded and buttery, followed by duck l'orange with mashed yams and spinach. He's very picky so I was relieved he approved! My fish was perfect, accompanied by mesclun salad and sweet plaintains. And the desserts were scrumptious: chocolate cake as well as caramelized apples with cinnamon ice cream. The prices were moderate, too. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Luv2eatDined on 7/23/2014Ponty is very good for meat dishes. Nice service and open front window onto the street. Interesting menu. I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood FindlovegoodfoodVIPDined on 7/7/2014If you want great food, Ponty is the perfect neighborhood restaurant. Although the space is cramped, the service is very good and the food hard to beat.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/6/2014really great place! food is delicious and service is easy. i've been during the day only, and never disappointed. always leave satisfied; happy and full!Special Features:
- Delicious!ShananaDined on 7/4/2014We ate at 5:30, so there was virtually no one there but us, so it was very quiet. It was a warm day and we sat at the front by the open that open on to the street, so it was almost like being outside, and it was Jully 4, so very little traffic - very nice ambiance. The food was delicious. We had the arugula salad, Afraican mussels appetizer, branzino filet, and stuffed flounder. I especially loved the salad and the branzino. The service was fine although a bit impersonal or abrupt at times, but fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pony a winnerLuv2DineDined on 6/22/2014African Mussels a must. I had the Duck A' lorange. Very good and very lean for duck. Tuna Tartare very tasty with some spice that made it uniqueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, Open Table issuesFoodie31Dined on 6/17/2014The food was amazing. However the menu was different from the menu on open table. The restaurant actually accommodated my request for a salad that was on the open table menu, but charged more for it than the price on open table. Also, I booked and found this reservation with the 1000 point filter and I only received 100 points on open table. I inquiried about this with open table and they said it was due to the timing of my reservation and that at the time I booked it, it was only 100 points. This was not stated when I made my reservation. I am frustrated with open table's response of not honoring my filtered search on 1000 points.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time just as good as the 1stLuv2eatDined on 6/6/2014This is a very easy neighborhood restaurant. I love the food and the service is just attentive enough. Looks unassuming, but food is delicious and the atmosphere pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting cuisineNYCseniorDined on 6/3/2014The French/Senegalese menu offers interesting choices at reasonable prices. I've been back a number of times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/24/2014Ponty's is absolutely a lovely restaurant and the owners are amazing. Everyone there makes you feel so welcome! The food is deliciously delightful and they go out of their way to acccommodate your needs.Special Features:
- Worth the visitKevinVIPDined on 5/22/2014Everything I saw looked great and my entire dinner was spot on and just what I wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placefoodiebynatureDined on 5/13/2014The food is good and I found the staff and chef to be very personable. It was a weeknight and it was fairly quiet but still very nice. I would recommend.Special Features:
- Mothers Day 2014!cachicocoDined on 5/11/2014Our family of 5 ate at the restaurant for Mothers Day and had a wonderful time!!! The service was great and the food was excellent!! Definitely recommend a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2014Except for a very noisy nearby table, the experience was very gratifying. Will definitely plan to return!Special Features:
- Love This Place!TMTNYVIPDined on 5/4/2014Ponty's has never disappointed. Recently went for Sunday brunch, and it was great. The service is friendly and just attentive enough. The food is always delicious and they don't mind substitutions! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Pony up to the Ponty BistrolawesmanDined on 5/3/2014Very interesting and eclectic combinations. There was something for everyone on the menu, the ginger martinis were amazing, and the food came out very hot and fresh. There was some confusion with the food runners, but everyone had a good attitude. I think this place is a hidden gem and one worth exploring.Special Features:
- where's the chef??KBellDined on 5/3/2014My sister came to visit and see me perform in a pkay. The only time we had for brunch, was 10am before my 1130am call. Our options were limites, but Ponty recieved good reviews and the meu looked great. We arrived on time, orderes cocktails and were told it would be just a few minutes as the chef had not uet arrived. 40 minutes later, the chef was still not there! We were told multiple times "he's on his way.", but we had to leave. The loan server was very apologetic and comped our drinks, but it was still unbelievablr as we were a reservation and not a walk in. Who does that? Im not even sute the chef showed up at all. We drove past a half hour later and the pkace was still empty and appeared chef-less.
- What a delightful surpriseMJP60VIPDined on 5/2/2014I have walked by this place 1050 times and never went tried, I am so glad I did finally. GREAT martinis and the food was delicious. I will be back.Special Features:
- Not what we had hoped!!foodiesRusDined on 5/2/2014We were quite disappointed. We went for my boyfriends birthday and the appetizer (cheese puffs) we ordered was still not just cold but frozen in the middle. Then the food came the way we specifically said we didnt want it. It was sent back to the kitchen and returned properly. The waitress didnt come to our table often enough and just felt the overall service was poor.
- Ponty is a PLEASUREGalAboutTownDined on 5/1/2014Ponty's food is always spot-on DELICIOUS. Their servers are worldly and very patient. The crowd tends to be older couples, or very young adults, so it's an interesting patron mix. The plates are artfully prepared, and a great feast for the eyes well before pleasing the taste buds. Their Sangria is top-notch and the wine selection is great. The african beer selection is awesome, and in the summer they open the front windows so it's like being at the beach (though there's no beach in sight)! The chefs visit the floor and ask how the meal is going--imparting a very old school & caring experience, You can tell everyone who works at Ponty LOVES food and the restaurant industry. Try Ponty Bistro at least once, you won't regret it.Special Features:
- The following 271 reviews are from the Ponty Bistro reviews archive.
- DinerPaulDined on 4/27/2014This is an excellent neighborhood bistro. Highly recommend. The mussels are especially memorable. The chef does a good job, using the West African spices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious food !!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/26/2014you are seriously missing out if you haven't tried their mussels africana. the broth is so yummy-- very flavorful and has all these spices. it is truly to die for. the shrimp scampi was also really really good. been coming here for awhile and i've loved every meal. the only annoything was they weren't taking debit cards that day so we had to run to an ATM to get cash. slightly annoying because we had to pay a surcharge... then we asked for some changeand they had NO change. so it was between leaving a 0% tip and a 30% tip... so we had no choice to but to leave a 30% tip. super annoying but still the food was good and it was late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Went with a group of friends on a Saturday. Great service and good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableJCardiffVIPDined on 4/25/2014Always a good bet for a reasonably priced meal with excellent service and that rare find, noise levels that actually allow conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every wayNSJM13VIPDined on 4/24/2014We enjoyed the lunch prix-fixe and were not disappointed. Great French/ Sengalese cuisine from soup to dessert, all freshly prepared and beautifully served. Tantalizing spicing makes this a truly exotic experience.Special Features:
- BuddyVIPDined on 4/23/2014The food was kind of disappointing. Have had worse, but wouldn't return.
- Out of the ordinary foodpinkbugVIPDined on 4/23/2014We always enjoy the interesting cuisine here but be prepared to talk loudly because of the narrow cramped seating.Special Features:
- Delicious Seneglese food!QuietlightDined on 4/19/2014My friend and I had the fish Sengelese style as well as a baby arugula salad. The fish was well seasoned, a bit on the salty side but quite flavorful. The salad was fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soooo good it should be illegalOlisaDined on 4/6/2014We attended Ponty Bistro as apart of our Sunday Brunches. We were not disappointed. The small restaurant and eager to please staff sat my guest of 12 immediately. Our waitress informed us of the specials. Everyone order drinks, appetizers and meal. Not one person was disappointed, in a group that can be "hard to please". The escargot, steak, yucca mash (light and airy) the ginger martini were a perfect antidote to Sunday. The chef was gracious enough to stop by and greet us and the staff was amazing. We will be back and as many said a great kept secret. Our guest from Canada, Pa and the mid west had a great time. Great news they're expanding in Harlem. Great luckSpecial Features:
- Owner is greatRyanK83Dined on 4/4/2014The owner of this restaurant is great. Last time I was here I was with a party of 10 for a friends bday. He was not only the owner, but that day he took special care of us as the host, server and chef as well. I mentioned this time that I was with the big party a few months back and again he checked in personally to make sure we enjoyed the entire experience. I can't compliment this reasonably priced, delicious gem of unique taste and flavors. Whether you like mussels, meat, seafood risotto or salad you really can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Date Night SpotsharonVIPDined on 4/4/2014This was an excellent find as my boyfriend and I were perusing OpenTable for restaurants in a new neighborhood. The service was good, the food was delicious, and the prices were reasonable. We will be back to try more of the menu! The only issue was that it's a little narrow and our table felt like it was right in the middle of things--waiters kept having to squeeze past our small table to get to those in the next row. They could probably take out a few tables to make it more comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back for a third time!MatundaVIPDined on 4/1/2014I was at Ponty Bistro last week for lunch. The Calabash soup was terrific and so were the mussels with African spices. Had the tiramirsu (which I've had better), but the creme brulee which my sister had was excellent. Not bad for a prixe fixe. I liked the food so much that two days later, I introduced my friend to Ponty Bistro in which we were there for dinner. Friendly service and the food did not disappoint. Am going with a friend this week for lunch and will introduce her to Ponty Bistro. I want to try some other foods. Looking forward to lunch and spreading the word about this small restaurant with excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodAndrewSDined on 3/15/2014I have lived in the neighborhood for about a year and this was my third time at Ponty Bistro. I keep coming back because is the food is that good. The mussels are fantastic and I highly recommend the risotto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood find!MKGRDined on 3/15/2014What a find! Service was friendly, attentive and helpful. The chef came out to greet us warmly--made us feel so at home. But the food is what will ultimately bring us back and tell all our friends. Standouts were the stunning crispy tuna appetizer -- so fresh and perfectly seared and seasoned, with an amazing silky texture, and the Moules Africana in a full-flavored broth seasoned with coconut milk and lemongrass. Can't wait to go back for both of these and try a few more dishes as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favorite.DoroVIPDined on 3/9/2014Food is consistently delicious. I live in the neighborhood and bring people there often, never disappointed. Try the ginger martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great combination of frenchkayleVIPDined on 3/8/2014Great combination of french food and easy intro to african spices.Special Features:
- Valentine day dinner letdownOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014I made reservation for 2 for an 8:30 sitting and got confirmation. When we arrived there was no receptionist to greet us, and there was a line of patrons in the middle aisle - not clear if all had reservation, but I was told we had to stand in line and would be sitted on a first come, first serve basis. There was no table at the desert stage from what we could see, and standing in that line in our coats while the waiters were using the same to move around was a nightmare. The restaurant was clearly overbooked and didn't care. On a special Valentine's night this lack of professioanlis was even more upsetting. I will not come back.