39 Desbrosses Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.pontesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2122264621
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off premise catering is available for any size event. Weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, bar/bat mitzvahs, sweet sixteens, family reunions, etc
- Private Party Facilities: Private party rooms are available for any size event form 25 guests to 400. Weddings, Birthdays, anniversaries, Bar/Bat- mitzvahs, sweet sixteen's and Family reunions.
- Private Party Contact: Karen Mannarelli 8883419357
- Entertainment: Live Music. Please check the schedule on our website for special events.
A word from Ponte's Restaurant
Established in 1967 by the Ponte Family as the first dining destination in Tribeca, this rustically elegant Italian restaurant captivates diners with authentic cuisine, including pastas and bread made daily on-site and traditional classics such as the world famous "Angry Lobster" and osso bucco, along with more contemporary dishes. A wood-burning oven in the first floor bar / lounge and a rotisserie in the second floor dining room foster culinary creativity and lend additional charm to the inviting decor distinguished by exposed brick walls, hand painted tiles and beamed ceilings. Stunning Hudson River views and complimentary valet parking add to Ponte's considerable attractions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ponte's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Nothing Like It Used To BeJohnSmithIsNotMyRealNameDined on 5/21/2013I have to say its NOTHING like it used to be. The service was mediocre with 7 tables full. Dinner ran $150 a head WITHOUT GRATUITY what a waste!. First the menu that appears on their website is totally different. Orders were an app and 3lb Angry Lobster and max two kocktails per person. The Shrimp Kokktail (spelled this way due to inappropriate language) were four large sized (if you were buying them at Shoprite or Pathmark). Pasta apps were decent sized..Veal Ragu was nothing to brag about & pasta wasn't cooked al dente. Although the Angry Lobster is deep fried, one must understand it may become a little tough...but this was a little too tough for my liking...Unfortunately, the best part of dinner was the Reggiano cheese that is compd :(
- Oh What A Night!Italian919Dined on 5/4/2013We were looking for a nice spacious restaurant with a good bar and great food in Tribeca since we did the water taxi your and 911 memorial and this restaurant did not disappoint. We started at the bar where Earl was enthusiastic and great story teller and makes a wonderful expesso martini!!! ( Billy Crystal's favorite) as suggested I tried the angry lobster and it was fabulous !!! Huge portion of cleaned lobster dressed in olive oil, garlic and special seasonings.... To die for. I accompanied it with broccoli rabe which was excellent!!! My guests enjoyed their meals as well. Try the veal chop!! Mouth watering!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poorly stocked bar and brightJohnEspoVIPDined on 4/12/2013Poorly stocked bar and bright lights kill any atmosphere. The food was good and the service only ok. Too worried about closing the kitchen rather than provide good service
- We recently moved to TriBeCaFoodieVIPDined on 3/8/2013We recently moved to TriBeCa and have been wanting to eat at Ponte's for a long time...it was delicious! Incredible service, beautiful setting and amazing food!!! Everyone should come back to this old time gem before they miss the special opportunity to do so!Special Features:
- Although the food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/13/2013Although the food and service was very good, even excellent, sadly, the restaurant has seen its better days. It was practically empty and the space was huge. i wondered to myself how long the restaurant could survive.Special Features:
- Cousins Re-unionFoodie123Dined on 1/26/2013We went to Ponte's last Saturday for a cousin re-union. I have never been there before and was quite excited to go. I absolutely loved that they had valet parking. When we arrived, our cousins where running late so we decided to sit in the bar and we had a very nice experience talking to the bartender who was such a delight to speak to and made the time pass by quickly. Not to mention that he also made great drinks too. When our party arrived, we sat in the dining room and I absolutely loved the view of New Jersey. The waiters were very attentive and the food was superb. The fritto misto was a must. Of course we ordered the angry lobster and we absolutely loved it too. All in all, our dining experience was amazing.Special Features:
- The restaurant is not at allSomsgirlVIPDined on 1/19/2013The restaurant is not at all what it is rated. On a Saturday night, it was empty. Staff have an attitude, food takes for ever to get and it was soooo bad and soooo overpriced. Not recommended to anyone.Special Features:
- From AustinOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/12/2013Go - get there quick and do not leave without ordering the Angry Lobster.Special Features:
- Elegant, classy, perfect placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/5/2013Elegant, classy, perfect place for date night. Fantastic food.Special Features:
- We had eaten at Ponte's beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012We had eaten at Ponte's before and had had a wonderful experience, including the Lobster Arrabbiata. We had hoped to duplicate the experience, but I was disappointed (my wife was not). I felt that the lobster was over-cooked (My wife did not. In fairness, she thought her lobster was delicious.)I also was given sliced ham instead of prosciutto de Parma, even though I asked for the latter. I was eventually given real prosciutto when I told them that I expected more from a fine Italian restaurant. My wife and I agree that the service was poor, especially since the restaurant was practically empty. Our waiter spent more time speaking to the hostess than worrying about us. Overall, a disappointing experience, as I was bringing 3 children.
- Ponte's is a great locationpak54VIPDined on 12/21/2012Ponte's is a great location with a great view that has very good service and just fair food. We remember going many years ago for its " angry lobster" and plates of pasta were usually very good. Unfortunately, today the food is average at best. Cold ravioli with porcini sauce, no taste. The table has on it eggplant caponata that is very good, the crumbled parmesan, not so great. We had brozino which was passable but had no real flavor or life to it. The other dishes were enormous and the lambchops were AWEFUL, my wife did not eat she said they tasted like it was not fresh probably frozen. Sadly the view and the servers were the best part of the meal. Ponte's get a new chef and let people know. Hurricane Sandy did not help.Special Features:
- delicious food, wonderfulilikefoodtoomuchVIPDined on 11/3/2012delicious food, wonderful service, old world feel, comfortable and elegant.Special Features:
- This was my 2nd time thereMidnightRunnerDined on 10/5/2012This was my 2nd time there which was probably about 10 yrs ago. We wanted to stay away from tourist trap little Italy. We didnt get the signature dish because we got it the first time and it didnt leave an impression. We ordered the daily special appetitizers. Ravioli with cheese and broccoli. It was good with a bit of smoky flavor. Fried calamari with zucchini had chucks of whole garlic cloves. Delicious but a touch oily, indicates the frying oil not hot enough. The calamari sauce was fantastic with a little bite of spiceness. My wife ordered the lamb chops perfectly done medium rare. I ordered the pollo giambotta - chicken with sausage and vegetable. Chicken was tasty but the sausage was pale and bland. It was a overall a good experienceSpecial Features:
- Not what it was in the past.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2012Not what it was in the past. Shame to see an awesome place loose its flare.Special Features:
- This place has really goneArv100678VIPDined on 8/4/2012This place has really gone downhill. Don't bother with their signature dish, the "Angry Lobster." It's no longer as good as it used to be. It was dried out, hard to de-shell, and bland. The waiter tried to warn us, and steer us away. We should have taken the hint.Special Features:
- Ponte's Pleases Persistently...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2012Angry Lobster gets all the press but it is a well rounded offering here with equally high quality in the pasta dishes and sauces. Not a cheap night out but overall a good value. Very nice big dining space, large groups do not feel crowded and are well served by the staff.Special Features:
- I had my 21st birthday here.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2012I had my 21st birthday here. It was amazing. On July 4th weekend, the place was completely empty except for my party. We had the restaurant all to ourselves including the bar. The food was delicious, the staff was so friendly and very attentive. The views were very nice. Overall I had a great experience and would definitely go back for another occasion. Another thing, the restaurant has its own garage for valet parking. It's great if you drive there and know your car will be safe.Special Features:
- I've been here twice now,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/1/2012I've been here twice now, and the food and service have been excellent. The room is very cozy, and you are overlooking the Westside Hightway and the Hudson River, so nice at sunset. Surprised it's not been busier.Special Features:
- Ponte's on a Saturday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/28/2012the food was good, and the service was good enough, but it was surprisingly quiet for a Saturday night. Overall, It was an enjoyable evening, but, we were hoping for a little more buzz in the restaurant to set the mood of celebrating two important birthdays.Special Features:
- Bring back the old management!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/19/2012So what happened to the Ponte's we love? The new menu is terrible and not at all Ponte's. The new angry lobster is still very expensive but not any good! The staff turnover has taken all the personality out of Ponte's. It's just not the same place. The service is so cheap that they don't even give you wet napkins to clean up after their most famous angry lobster dish like they did for years! Really? at $30/lb for angry lobster you can't "afford" to hand out wet napkins? They even took out the M&M dispensers downstairs. So this is all the making of the new management? Well time to bring back the old management - in the meantime i will go elsewhere.
- We had a wonderful time. GreatLCN116Dined on 2/25/2012We had a wonderful time. Great service and food. Would definitely have dinner there again.Special Features:
- I have been to Ponte's severalWilly50Dined on 2/15/2012I have been to Ponte's several times and have always been very pleased. This time was no exception. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Beautiful scenery, OverlookingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Beautiful scenery, Overlooking the Hudson river and new jerseys shore. Great food, service and The price definitely exceeded my expectations. A must go!Special Features:
- Well prepared Italian foodSparky100Dined on 2/11/2012Well prepared Italian food with a great view. The service is attentive, but not overbearing. A bit pricey, but well worth it. An enjoyable evening for all.Special Features:
- Too touristy. There wereAlMcVIPDined on 2/4/2012Too touristy. There were no less than 3 large birthday parties the night we ate there. Each one noisier than the other with singing, etc.Special Features:
- In two recent visits, it lackedmisstheclassicsVIPDined on 2/3/2012In two recent visits, it lacked the high qulaity and service of prior visits. Seems to be slipping. No longer excellent.
- Well I really hate to sayJoepDined on 1/31/2012Well I really hate to say this but I won’t be back. It’s just not the place that we use to know. We Chose this Restaurant for our 25th Anniversary. The place was known for service. (there was none) when they put the dish for the main meal down they didn’t even take the crumbs off of the table they put the dish on top of the crumbs. The Pasta dish was great along with the Angry Lobster which they are known for however they only had small lobsters 2.5 lbs. that is a teas. When I asked the waiter about the size his answer was have 2. (not what I wanted to hear from this once classy restaurant) The chicken Scarpariello was not good at all. I guess things change over the years and this place has changed for the worst!Special Features:
- We asked for a table by theRobertaVIPDined on 1/27/2012We asked for a table by the window. There were 3 available and we were told that the tables were reserved. My husband asked if the chef could prepare a vegetable platter instead of the dishes offered. The waiter said they were too busy (they weren't) because it was the last day for restaurant week (it wasn't). When we left we spoke to the woman at the desk and her answer about the window tables didn't make sense as one table was free until just before we left .Special Features:
- Only down side was the price.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/20/2012Only down side was the price. Excellent meal but over priced.
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2012Great food, great service, a little pricey though but probably worth it
- There isn't enough space for the reScottillaDined on 1/17/2012You can't imagine how nice this place is from the outside. The dining room is upstairs, and offers a fantastic view of New Jersey. We were there on a Tuesday night, so there were only a few guests there, and we got to sit near the window. It was also Restaurant Week, so the choices were limited. However, unlike other places we've been for Restaurant Week, the serving sizes were normal, and very generous. They modified the Salmon for me, leaving out ingredients that I didn't want, and it was wonderful. The service was very attentive, and if there was any complaint, which is definitely the wrong word, it is that they brought the wrong dishes, which they quickly remedied by bringing the right dishes, but didn't take the wrong dishes backSpecial Features:
- Lovely restaurant - very romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/13/2012Lovely restaurant - very romantic and old world. The wine suggested by the waiter from the 2 choices I asked him about (and he didn't choose the more expensive one) was excellent. We had the Lobster which was good, fresh and meaty, but disappointing in that it was swimming in oil on the plate. The wait staff was friendly and cooperative in getting us out for a show on time.Special Features:
- Great food and service. BestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/30/2011Great food and service. Best meal in a year. Been here several times. Tremendous experience
- Service was a dissapointment.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/21/2011Service was a dissapointment. Waiter was not very nice nor was he very good. Appetizers came out with the entrees, 2 orders out of six had to be sent back. On a brighter note, the food was tasty and the decor is very well doneSpecial Features:
- I was very happy with howOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/17/2011I was very happy with how easy it was to make the reservation through Open Table. Having the Valet Parking right next door was also VERY convenient. The food was delicious and staff were all very friendly. I would definately go back!Special Features:
- Good enough food. AppropriateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2011Good enough food. Appropriate for the over 60 crowd -- service is brusque an ambience is not cool enough to be hip.
- We haven't been here in manyseclawVIPDined on 12/8/2011We haven't been here in many years, but everything was as we remembered, and was as good as ever. Brick walls and exposed wood beams give the dining room a unique look and feel. We had varied fish dishes, all perfectly prepared.Special Features:
- it was my wife,s birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2011it was my wife,s birthday and they went out there way to accommadte me.Special Features:
- I was very disappointed inChristineVIPDined on 12/1/2011I was very disappointed in Ponte's on this visit. First of all, the entire downstairs bar area was dark and empty. It was odd, especially since that room has so much ambience. The bar upstairs was not very welcoming and the bartender was downright rude...so much so that the hostess had to step in and tell the manager. Dinner was ok, but not great. I won't be going back anytime soon.
- Thursday night duck was ourOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/17/2011Thursday night duck was our favorite and they took it off the menu. This was our only disappointment.Special Features: