Pond House Cafe
1555 Asylum Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117Neighborhood:
Hartford / West Hartford
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Pond House Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pondhousecafe.com/
- Phone: (860) 231-8823
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11am - 8pm
Friday: 11am - 9pm
Saturday:9:30am - 9pm
Sunday: 9:30 - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Josh Fiorillo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Pond House is able to cater to any out of house location including other local venues and your very own kitchen! We will provide everything from staff to clean up! Please inquiry today to have the Pond House to your house!
- Private Party Facilities: Both private parties and semi-private accommodations available, contact restaurant for more information
- Private Party Contact: Diana Aretakis-Trovato 8602318823x
- Special Events: Every Tuesday evening Pond House offers our Tasty Tuesday Menu in addition to our regular dinner menu. This is a set 3 course meal for $16.55. This menu changes monthly, please visit our website for details!
Wednesday Nights- Easy Like a Sunday Morning . Who doesn't love breakfast for dinner! Our Wednesday night brunch menu features a delicious variety of breakfast and savory items!
A word from Pond House Cafe
Nestled on the pond in historic Elizabeth Park the Pond House is surrounded by gardens & offers four seasons of charm with a menu to match. Changed seasonally we offer eclectic comfort food that reflects the down to earth but playful spirit of our staff. Announce Spring's arrival with a walk through the park followed by brunch on the patio. Stop and smell the world famous roses then linger over dinner as sun slowly sets over the trees. Lunch, Dinner, Brunch & Take out. The Pond House Cafe- stylish, fun & playful.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Pond House Cafe - Best Restaurants in Hartford / West Hartford ›
Pond House Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (92)neighborhood gem (84)scenic view (81)great for lunch (76)fit for foodies (72)great for brunch (69)special occasion (52)romantic (36)good for groups (26)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (7)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Wonderful LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Great food and great service. Good presentation was outstanding. Loved the unique table settings and glasswareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Food is very good but on the expensive side. It is definitely worth it, and I would go back for special occasions. I rally like the fact that they have some good CT wines on the wine list, too. The service was great and they were especially accommodating to some special requests from our party.Special Features:
- Consistently Wonderful Food and ServiceDandPVIPDined on 11/18/2014The food at Pond House never fails. Inventive, gorgeously plated, delicious. It is a wonderful local restaurant and destination spot. Excellent vegetarian offerings, also. Refreshingly delicious. Tempeh grilled wrap fabulous. Meat lovers will also be very content with offerings. Salads fabulous, also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pond House CafeMrsMacDined on 11/15/2014We ate here for the first time Saturday evening. It was a struggle locating the cafe in the dark, the park entrance on Asylum Ave is not well lit. Friendly greeting on entering, seated quickly in a small warm room overlooking the outdoor dining area and the pond. Chose Crabcake w/ house salad, thoughtfully served on two plates so we could share. Delicious crunchy crab on couscous. Followed that with Indian Rice and Salmon. Indian Rice was flavorful, salmon cooked perfectly. Service was cordially efficient. Restaurant was busy, some diners lingering long after their meal to chat. Plan on returning for lunch just to see the Park and pond. And try the lunch fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely setting, but that's about itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014We went to the Pond House for lunch. Had never been before and I was excited to give it a try. Unfortunately, it did not live up to the hype. Our service was fair, the waitress was not very attentive. I can usually get over that if the food is outstanding. That was not the case. We ordered an omelet and a rice dish. Both were overly oily/buttered... the plates were dripping with butter. Needless to say, we won't be back. Oh well. Thank goodness there are plenty of other places to choose from in the area!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014My 93 year old mom absolutely loves Pond House Cafe so this was her birthday gift from me. The new server determined the answers to her questions and was amenable to Mom's food and beverage mind changes, and she was patient and polite. We both enjoyed our food very much, salmon for Mom, soup and salad for me, although I found the price of the salad a bit high for the shredded lettuce and tomatoes I received. The noise level is higher than I prefer but despite Mom's poor hearing she still loves it and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerLGRNDined on 11/11/2014my daughter and I had dinner prior to a Bushnell performance. A quick summary: unique tableware, fabulous food and friendly, competent staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb diningColette56Dined on 11/11/2014Treated my mom to an early dinner before heading to the Mark Twain House event! Service was awesome! We had salmon and crab cakes and brought half home! The food was delicious. We've dined here before and will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great breakfast spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Loved the food. Service was good. Good didn't come out all together, which annoys me. Special requests for gluten free should be easier. Overall great spot, good views, good food, service could be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014Love, love, love the Pond House in Elizabeth Park. Wonderful size, location, service and food. Good quality and good value. It is often my "go-to" place when someone asks for a dining recommendation. Scallops and salmon were probably cooked better than any other place around. Slightly crispy on the outside, rare in the middle. Only minor complaint this time was the use of tablets instead of paper menus. So, it was helpful to be able to read in larger, well-lit font. But, you lose something when you cannot survey the entire set of offerings at once. Scrolling was a little tricky especially for the elderly lady at our table. Was a bit of a learning curve. So, think about dining experiences where every restaurant opts to use tablets but they are all operate slightly differently (as will be the case when you put creativity into the mix).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Always enjoy meeting people for lunch at the Pond House. The decor is striking, food is original and very good, and the gardens outside are lovely.Special Features:
- Delightful spotBDKCDined on 11/6/2014Wonderful food, great service. It doesn't get much better for friends having lunch.Special Features:
- A Special OccasionflowerDined on 11/5/2014we were there to celebrate our anniversary. They were serving Brunch entrees on Wednesday Night .My husband ordered eggs benedict which he thoroughly enjoyed. My grilled salmon was very good too. WE brought a split of champagne which the waitress very nicely chilled for us. The service was very attentive and the ambiance just lovely .The restaurant bought us a dessert to celebrate our Anniversary which we thought was very nice of them to do. The Pond House is always a favorite destination any time of the year. It is cozy, romantic and the food is always delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halloween BrunchmacstyckDined on 10/26/2014We had an excellent brunch with excellent service! We have never had a bad experience at The Pond House! Love it!Special Features:
- Perfect Sunday Brunch location!!SuzieQDined on 10/26/2014Sunday brunch in this location is always wonderful! The food and service is always spot on and you get a feeling of total comfort! I so look forward to my next visit!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BrunchbrunchfanDined on 10/25/2014We ate at the Pond House for their Halloween Brunch. The food was outstanding (although the hamburger was a bit burnt). Service was a little slow, but overall it was a nice experience. We will return again.Special Features:
- choozydinerDined on 10/19/2014Great food, ambience, service. Very enjoyable. It was not our first time for brunch and will definitely not be our last.Special Features:
- Great Place for LunchXydarDined on 10/14/2014Great atmosphere, very interesting menu items, good food, good service, fair pricing; all the elements for a successful dining experience. The Halloween decorations were outragious and fun. These people seem to enjoy serving the public.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must try the Indian Rice BowlImpressedcustomerVIPDined on 10/14/2014We make a special effort to come to the Pond House Café in the season when they have their Indian Rice bowl. Their other entrées are great too, but that is special to us. The area in Elizabeth Park is quite scenic, with the Rose Garden in the summer time. Contrary to what you might think, the Pond house is not named for the pond it overlooks, but for Charles Pond who owned the land years ago!Special Features:
- Great meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014The BBQ chicken spring roll with kale and chicken, baby kale Caesar salad wit sundried tomatoes and roasted brussel spouts, and strip streak special with champagne sauce were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food4UDined on 10/3/2014Love the Pond House in West Hartford, CT. An eclectic menu and good food! nice atmosphere! Elizabeth Park is a wonderful place, and it is so fun to tour the rose garden and all the other beautiful gardens after eating lunch. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Very TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/30/2014Tasty Tuesday, Greek food, was wonderful and sitting on the porch was cozy and scenic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise ControlOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014We had a party of 5, had good food & service, nice table, conducive for conversation with our friends. But the noise level was distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchBillZDined on 9/28/2014We'd only previously been to the Pond House for the Easter brunch buffet, which was delicious but overpriced. This was our first Sunday brunch, and we were very impressed. The service was just what we want--friendly but not overly familiar, competent, quick, attentive. I don't usually place any importance at all on the place setting, but the utensils, glasses, etc, were distinctive and eye-catching. Most important of course is the food, which was wonderful. Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon on fried potatoes, french toast and apples with dulce de leche--both were perfect. With a pot of tea, the bill came to $30-31. We will return, and bring friends with us.Special Features:
- Great food. Great service.FoodieDined on 9/28/2014The autumn sangria is wonderful, as was the food we had. Linda our waitress was fun and prompt. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Bad service/ Good FoodJudyDined on 9/26/2014The service (waitress, hostess) seemed to be pre-occupied. Although, the place was not busy, the waitress had to be called over for refills, and for the check. And, although my husband made it clear that this was my birthday lunch, not a mention of it was made. nothing special was prepared. Wait staff seemed bored , and uninterested. Too bad...because the food was delicious!Special Features:
- Good experiencemorewarmthDined on 9/25/2014Our food and service at the Pond House was nice, and we enjoyed the BYOB. The issue with this restaurant is the cold, cafeteria style tables and chairs. More booths and upholstered furniture would go a long way to improving the experience. We enjoyed the fig flat bread appetizer and our pork tenderloin and the jambalaya, but it's the atmosphere here that needs work. Of course, during the day, the park views make up for most of this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keeps getting betterMalaDined on 9/17/2014I have been going to the Pond House for years. They now have a semi-enclosed porch that they can use for three seasons, which is where we sat. When we wanted to sit outside for the gorgeous view, but it was a little chilly, they turned on the heaters. Upon leaving the restaurant, we went out the back way around the outdoor patio. The gardeners are landscape artists! The Pond House and Elizabeth Park are neighborhood gems not to be missed. Oh and the food? I always look forward to eating here because it never disappoints. The food is prepared with as much care to presentation as the outdoor gardens are--beautiful AND delicious! Oh, and don't miss going here for Halloween. It's an experience.Special Features:
- GREAT BRUNCH LOCATIONweekendtravelerDined on 9/14/2014My party had a great time at the restaurant for brunch. We enjoyed the food and the service was very good. The location makes an incredible trip. After our meal, we walked in the park and enjoyed the rose garden and other gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!mlafayetteDined on 9/13/2014The food was delicious, service was fine and the atmosphere was nice. The fried chicken breast was delicious and so was the fig flatbread. We love how after dinner we could take our daughter out to feed the ducks. Also, love their gardens in the back. I like restaurants that use their own fresh herbs and vegetables. Will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is atrociousOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/10/20143 of 6 of us had to return meal. It was completely not as decribed, but obviously leftover from a previous night (and it was the special!) it was inedible. The other meals were poorly plated and just OK. Won't ever go backSpecial Features:
- Tasty TuesdayJanaDined on 9/9/2014We have never had poor experience here until now. Our server seemed disinterested from the start. Non-attentive and out of sight. We both opted for the Tasty Tuesday, It's Greek to Me specialties ($16.55 pp for 3 courses). We are part Greek and have been to Greece several times. While the spanikopita, moussaka and baklava were fairly tasty, the presentation seems to have just been thrown on the plate. Yes, for the price it was a 'good deal', but below the standards of the usual Pond House fare.Special Features:
- SpinnakerDined on 9/4/2014Outdoor dining is NOT comfortable. The tables are unattractive without even a placemat and they do not feel clean. The chairs are extremely uncomfortable. This was my second dining experience there and it will be my last. The service was poor and the food was fair.
- GJMOREDined on 8/30/2014Server was outstanding. Good was delicious as alwaysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful lunchblovelandsennettDined on 8/28/2014We enjoyed salads for lunch on a beautiful and sunny day by the pond at Elizabeth Park. The service was excellent. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- Consistently good-goldrushVIPDined on 8/27/2014Dinner salad and Diver scallops were our entrees that evening and both were prepared and presented quite well. Service was knowledgeable and attentive, Although it rained the evening we were there, the outdoor seating near the garden and looking at the pond should be delightful. We will return.Special Features:
- A favorite stopOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014We love going the the Pond House. The food is wonderful, Elizabeth park is such a gem and everyone is so nice. Great place to start the day or end an evening.Special Features:
- Great place to eatGreatfoodDined on 8/23/2014As always, service, food, and ambiance were perfect. We enjoyed a perfect lunch although it was difficult to make a selection since everything offered on the menu seemed special. We highly recommend the Pond House for brunch, lunch, or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautifulSophieDined on 8/22/2014Very noticeable urine odor near the booth. Otherwise, above average food and service, and beautiful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pond House continues to deliverCarpeDiemDined on 8/20/2014The Pond House continues to be an oasis of great food, lovely surroundings and friendly service. IF you'd like a leisurely lunch in a beautiful setting, keep this gem in mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.