Pond House Cafe
1555 Asylum Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117Neighborhood:
Hartford / West Hartford
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Pond House Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pondhousecafe.com/
- Phone: 8602318823
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11am - 8pm
Friday: 11am - 9pm
Saturday: 10am - 9pm
Sunday: 10am - 2:30pm
Closed for Lunch 12/31
Open for Brunch Only 1/1
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Jordan Stein
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Pond House is able to cater to any out of house location including other local venues and your very own kitchen! We will provide everything from staff to clean up! Please inquiry today to have the Pond House to your house!
- Private Party Facilities: Both private parties and semi-private accommodations available, contact restaurant for more information
- Private Party Contact: Lisa Deedy 8602318823
- Special Events: Every Tuesday evening Pond House offers our Tasty Tuesday Menu in addition to our regular dinner menu. This is a set 3 course meal for $16.55. This menu changes monthly, please visit our website for details!
A word from Pond House Cafe
Nestled on the pond in historic Elizabeth Park the Pond House is surrounded by gardens & offers four seasons of charm with a menu to match. Changed seasonally we offer eclectic comfort food that reflects the down to earth but playful spirit of our staff. Announce Spring's arrival with a walk through the park followed by brunch on the patio. Stop and smell the world famous roses then linger over dinner as sun slowly sets over the trees. Lunch, Dinner, Brunch & Take out. The Pond House Cafe- stylish, fun & playful.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Pond House Cafe - Best Restaurants in Hartford / West Hartford ›
Pond House Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (127)scenic view (113)great for lunch (103)great for brunch (90)neighborhood gem (88)fit for foodies (63)special occasion (52)romantic (36)good for groups (30)kid-friendly (16)hot spot (7)Show More
- keeps getting betterMalaDined on 9/17/2014I have been going to the Pond House for years. They now have a semi-enclosed porch that they can use for three seasons, which is where we sat. When we wanted to sit outside for the gorgeous view, but it was a little chilly, they turned on the heaters. Upon leaving the restaurant, we went out the back way around the outdoor patio. The gardeners are landscape artists! The Pond House and Elizabeth Park are neighborhood gems not to be missed. Oh and the food? I always look forward to eating here because it never disappoints. The food is prepared with as much care to presentation as the outdoor gardens are--beautiful AND delicious! Oh, and don't miss going here for Halloween. It's an experience.Special Features:
- GREAT BRUNCH LOCATIONweekendtravelerDined on 9/14/2014My party had a great time at the restaurant for brunch. We enjoyed the food and the service was very good. The location makes an incredible trip. After our meal, we walked in the park and enjoyed the rose garden and other gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!mlafayetteDined on 9/13/2014The food was delicious, service was fine and the atmosphere was nice. The fried chicken breast was delicious and so was the fig flatbread. We love how after dinner we could take our daughter out to feed the ducks. Also, love their gardens in the back. I like restaurants that use their own fresh herbs and vegetables. Will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is atrociousOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/10/20143 of 6 of us had to return meal. It was completely not as decribed, but obviously leftover from a previous night (and it was the special!) it was inedible. The other meals were poorly plated and just OK. Won't ever go backSpecial Features:
- Tasty TuesdayJanaDined on 9/9/2014We have never had poor experience here until now. Our server seemed disinterested from the start. Non-attentive and out of sight. We both opted for the Tasty Tuesday, It's Greek to Me specialties ($16.55 pp for 3 courses). We are part Greek and have been to Greece several times. While the spanikopita, moussaka and baklava were fairly tasty, the presentation seems to have just been thrown on the plate. Yes, for the price it was a 'good deal', but below the standards of the usual Pond House fare.Special Features:
- SpinnakerDined on 9/4/2014Outdoor dining is NOT comfortable. The tables are unattractive without even a placemat and they do not feel clean. The chairs are extremely uncomfortable. This was my second dining experience there and it will be my last. The service was poor and the food was fair.
- GJMOREDined on 8/30/2014Server was outstanding. Good was delicious as alwaysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful lunchblovelandsennettDined on 8/28/2014We enjoyed salads for lunch on a beautiful and sunny day by the pond at Elizabeth Park. The service was excellent. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- Consistently good-goldrushVIPDined on 8/27/2014Dinner salad and Diver scallops were our entrees that evening and both were prepared and presented quite well. Service was knowledgeable and attentive, Although it rained the evening we were there, the outdoor seating near the garden and looking at the pond should be delightful. We will return.Special Features:
- A favorite stopOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014We love going the the Pond House. The food is wonderful, Elizabeth park is such a gem and everyone is so nice. Great place to start the day or end an evening.Special Features:
- Great place to eatGreatfoodDined on 8/23/2014As always, service, food, and ambiance were perfect. We enjoyed a perfect lunch although it was difficult to make a selection since everything offered on the menu seemed special. We highly recommend the Pond House for brunch, lunch, or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautifulSophieDined on 8/22/2014Very noticeable urine odor near the booth. Otherwise, above average food and service, and beautiful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pond House continues to deliverCarpeDiemDined on 8/20/2014The Pond House continues to be an oasis of great food, lovely surroundings and friendly service. IF you'd like a leisurely lunch in a beautiful setting, keep this gem in mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something newKuziDined on 8/19/2014We love the updates to the patio area, including the whimsical garden art and plantings.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014We went to the Pond House Cafe in hopes of having a great gluten free brunch. Unfortunately, gluten is the only allergy that they accommodate. I have a dairy allergy and everything that was gluten free contained dairy. They also served my scrambled eggs with corn bread and potatoes (neither gf). That surprised me considering their chef has celiac disease. I expected way more from someone who understand the difficulty of finding a good place to eat.
- YummyDined on 8/16/2014The food was wonderful. Presentation lovely. The waitstaf was extremely attentive. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchCatboatsueDined on 8/13/2014A living social offer reminded me that a girlfriend and I were supposed to come here a few years back for my birthday but never made it. This was a lunch with her and her daughters who are heading to high school and college. We all had something different and we all left a clean plate. I will definitely come back, maybe for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consisitently great food & service!ChrisODined on 8/12/2014time and time again, we have always had a great meal at the Pond house Cafe! Always inventive and never dull, the menu offers a variety of great food, and for those of you in gluten free land, you will be thrilled with the variety. From the hostess greeting to the bill being left at the table, we always feel cradled and cared for. This time around, the Sriracha Crab was outstanding. Succulent crab over a bed of mouth watering guacamole, with an amazing sriracha aoli and a ginger cream that was to die for. one of the best appetizers ever!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014There was a wedding scheduled when were were there. I don't know if it impacted service. Everyone was fine, but they seemed to be just not clicking. We had a reservation as did the folks in line behind us, but had to wait for a seat on the patio, while the folks in line in front of us without a reservation were seated immediately on the patio. This gave us the vantage point to see a waitress bring back a meal that she had incorrectly ordered. I had to order a different drink because not all of the ingredients were available, and then at the end of the evening a waitress dropped someone's meal as she was bringing it out to them. The staff was friendly enough but just didn't seem to be running on all cylinders.
- A neighborhood treasureflowerDined on 8/9/2014A visit to the Pond House is a must. You can stroll through the Rose Garden in Elizabeth Park before or after dinner. During the warm seasons you can sit out on their terrace overlooking the Pond. The food and menu has something for everyone and very nicely presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special lunchLabermanDined on 8/8/2014Great place to have a special lunch with a special friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always EnjoyableGloriaDined on 8/7/2014The food has always been fresh, interesting, and well prepared; the atmosphere is relaxed and friendly; the price reasonable. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- AcurafanJudyDined on 8/7/2014Great as usual, espcially when seated in the newly constructed wooden booth seating on the patio. Another way that the noise level is moderated when dining outside. Nice addition!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KKEPDined on 8/7/2014The new outdoor terraces and walks around the Pond House and the new gardens are wonderful. As is the food. Mrs. Astor's Chicken Salad is my summer favorite. Plan for time after lunch to walk around the park. KSpecial Features:
- Always a pleasureKittyDined on 8/6/2014Perfect spot to meet friends for a leisurely lunch, especially during the summer when you can dine on the patio or the shady covered porch instead of the dining room. Nice lunch selection of light foods make decision making a chore! This really is a little gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a delight!FoodbgoodDined on 8/1/2014The place, the food, the service all combine to make for a delightful experience. Get there a little early so you have a chance to walk around the gardens and see the beauty of this special spot in the midst of urban Hartford / West Hartford. Great for young and old...a very special gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pond House ReviewPaulDined on 8/1/2014Great ambiance and location. Great food and ample parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10RosieDined on 7/29/2014Our experience was definitely a 10! The food was delicious and the service was awesome. A beautiful summer evening dining outside! The new patio is gorgeous! Can't wait for my daughters wedding there next spring!Special Features:
- Pleasant spotCelebrateDined on 7/29/2014We reserved ahead, but still waited about 15-20 min along with others. It was a beautiful day, and most were wanting outdoor tables. We preferred indoors, and could have been seated earlier had we been asked for preference. Nice selection of food for lunch. Request for additional salad dressing was quickly granted (voluminous greens). Will definitely return for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2014Took my sister here for brunch with some friends to celebrate her upcoming wedding. Delicious mimosas and bloody marys, unique breakfast menu with twists on the traditional brunch items (pumpkin pancakes, crab eggs Benedict). Service was wonderful. Wish is was a nicer day to stroll around the beautiful parks and gardens.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant!MAgirlDined on 7/26/2014We've been going to Pond House for years and always enjoy our dining experience there. The views are lovely, the servers friendly and the food is delicious. Their menu has a nice variety of options and they always seem to have new dishes to try each time we visit. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Server was GreatFairserviceVIPDined on 7/26/2014I eat here a few times a month and the location and food are always excellent. The service is not terrible but normally is not the best either. This visit Nicole waited on us and she was so excellent. She was attentive and proactive in refilling drinks and extra friendly. She made the dinning experience perfect for my whole family.Special Features:
- Brunch2brunch2Dined on 7/23/2014The pasta dish was very good, but thought the chicken salad was on the dry side. The special bread it came on sounded so delicious but again seemed very dry. It's a nice place to meet for lunch but was disappointed with my choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunchshorelineguestsDined on 7/22/2014Be sure to make reservations, as it was very busy for lunch and the older hostess we met at the door was not very pleasant. The duck quesadilla was nothing special, but my guests enjoyed their Ruben sandwich and the apple salad. The service was a little slow. Overall, it was a nice place to go for lunch, but we won't be hurrying back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedscottydoodlesDined on 7/20/2014Have been a fan for years but food cold, slow service, very disappointed. Hopefully, just a bad day.Special Features:
- Great find!DonMDined on 7/20/2014We visited for the first time this past Sunday, specifically for a special Sunday Brubch - we sat outside on the patio; the weather was perfect; service was excellent; the brunch menu options were plentiful and very interesting - not the typical breakfast fare. We haven't stopped talking about it since!!!! We are sure to return with friends this summer for more excellent casual outdoor dining in scenic Elizabeth Park! A great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FOOD NOT GREATcrs60Dined on 7/18/2014I've been here before with better results. The food was mediocre at best. I ordered the special salad with peaches & goat cheese. The peaches were not ripe. I added shrimp, which ended up being overcooked. My friends each ordered the chicken special and it was tough & dry. The service was terrible too. We had a question about our bill and the hostess/manager was less than cordial. I frequent the Pond House Grille in Glastonbury which I love. The home location was a big disappointment. They are lucky the location is so great.
- Excellent Dining ExperiencePondHouseFanDined on 7/18/2014We very much enjoyed eating at Pond House last Friday. The food and atmosphere (we dined outside) was excellent and the service - including the hostess, our waiter and the manager - was outstanding. We recommend your cafe to many people and will continue to do so. Of course, we look forward to the next time we dine with you.Special Features:
- Hartford classiceatmeatDined on 7/18/2014Visiting from Texas and enjoyed our visit. Excellent jambalaya and a great background to enjoy a walk before or after a delicious meal. Attentive staff, great details, gorgeous setting.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerCtkathy1Dined on 7/17/2014Interesting menu. Our group enjoyed everything. I tasted a friends hanger steak and was not impressed with flavor. My scallops were better but only 3 for $22+? Pond house used to be a much better valueSpecial Features: