229 Columbus Ave.
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pomodororossonyc.com/
- Phone: 2127213009x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm.
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from Pomodoro Rosso
Pomodoro, at 229 Columbus Avenue has been a neighborhood favorite for years. The beautifully prepared Italian classics and excellent service has earned this restaurant a loyal following of Upper West Siders. Beige walls adorned with decorative ceramic plates from Italy, a ceiling trellis with hanging grapes and red and white-checkered tablecloths evoke the feeling of an authentic Italian trattoria. The street side outdoor café is the place to sit and enjoy a glass of wine and savor the antipasti while watching the people stride by.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pomodoro Rosso reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (25)great for outdoor dining (21)great for lunch (18)good for groups (14)special occasion (13)great for brunch (12)romantic (11)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (7)late-night find (6)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014food was very good with plentiful portions menu was varied with something for everyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodeeeeeVIPDined on 8/20/2014The food was amazing - very tasty food and the presentation was great. Service was equally great. Although I live in the neighborhood, I have not been in this place in ages. It was such a pleasant surprise! I will definitely recommend this place to my friends.Special Features:
- Dependable and friendlycatgirlflVIPDined on 8/18/2014Very good traditional italian food. Wish they had more outside tables, the inside feels more appropriate for cold weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jazzrbob at PomodorojazzrbobDined on 8/12/2014The food was very good, from the salad through dessert. Service was excellent. Our waiter let us sit and talk for a long time and never pressured us for our order, or check payment. Prices were moderate for Manhattan. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014The food was very good as they allow you to alter your food selection as you'd like. Only issue we had was that the service was a tad bit slow considering the restaurant wasn't that busy. However, I would recommend to everyone.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemOurItalianDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I live in the neighborhood and have been dining here for years. We love the food and the fine service. Peter, the owner, goes beyond expectations to make his customers visits pure pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceluv2dineVIPDined on 7/28/2014great service by warm and friendly staff with good food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfuljcjmDined on 7/23/2014Authentic Italian. Prices were reasonable for NYC. GREAT service. Meal and dessert were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lus2eatDined on 7/10/2014Foods ok. Near the apartment and always can be seated.Special Features:
- Good, abundant food and busySpeisekritikerDined on 7/5/2014The gentleman who seated me immediately ( I assume he was the owner from his concern with all aspects of operation ) keeps his eye on everything and this attention is reflected by the efficiency of the staff. My waiter was not always attentive but other staff were so I never felt neglected even though most of my needs were met by others. The food was good and plentiful although a bit mild for my taste. I particularly liked being able to have whole wheat pasta as a substitute.Special Features:
- Would go backMaitetxuDined on 7/5/20149 of us (3 generations) came here for an early dinner after Lincoln Center matinee. We were accommodated very easily by the restaurant. The restaurant filled up quickly and is clearly a "go to" for the neighborhood. Pomodoro Rosso provided tasty food, generous portions and friendly atmosphere. Would come back.Special Features:
- great evening2explorersVIPDined on 6/21/2014After an excellent movie, walked over to Pomodora which was a continuation of a super experience. We can count on a delicious creative dinner (we tend to choose the "specials"). Staff, delightful and thoughtful. Even though busy, we were treated well and not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UWScoupleDined on 6/21/2014Great spot for pre Lincoln Center dinner. We would certainly go back before another performance at Lincoln Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only for "gluten-free pizza"JfromFitzDined on 6/7/2014One friend had recommended me to go for gluten-free pizza. Yes, there is a real choice of gluten-free pizza For the other things, it's not worth it to move: - Very noisy inside - Service "very industrial" - The wine is rubbish - Dishes not clean - Lack of space between tables I will not go back!
- Italian gem!BigAppleFoodieDined on 6/6/2014This was my first time here and I'll be back soon. The food was delicious and the service excellent. It is a terrific place to dine before or after going to Lincoln Center. Thank you!Special Features:
- BariVIPDined on 5/31/2014I always enjoy returning to this restaurant. It's always lively, the food is very good and the portions generous. It's also within walking distance of Lincoln Center (with comfortable shoes).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great option near Lincoln CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/31/2014Went here for lunch before NYC Ballet matinee, we were very happy with the quality of the food and service. It looks like an old-style cliche with the red checked tablecloths but don't be fooled - it's way better than the stereotypical red sauce Italian, and definitely represents decent value for the money in the overpriced Lincoln Center neighborhood.Special Features:
- nice neighborhood italianJjnycVIPDined on 5/30/2014food and wine is nice. outdoor seating available is nice. inside the tables are a bit small for 4 people. Staff very nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a missed beatMmr48Dined on 5/29/2014I booked a reservation for myself and 3 mid-sixties girlfriends who hadn't seen one another for some time and had a lot to chat about. The food is pricey but worth it. The wait staff attentive but not intrusive. The atmosphere beautiful, bathroom not down endless stairs like most city restaurants and spotless! However it was the food and overall warmth I will return for. We women of a certain age are often not offered prime seating. Often there is a little patronizing on the part of greeters and waiters- but not here! We were treated as well as the young hot chicks who preceded us. I appreciated that. Loved the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/27/2014I have been going to this restaurant for almost 20 years. It's always great and the owner Peter is the best host. On my most recent visit I tried one of the dinner specials which was pork Milanese over linguine. Delicious!Special Features:
- Great locals jointDinewithdogsVIPDined on 5/26/2014Friendly staff always has a warm welcome to share. Food is consistently good. Specials are always creative and delicious. No fuss, just good food.Special Features:
- never disappointing!Kimchee02VIPDined on 5/25/2014I always enjoy visiting and dining at Pomodoro Rosso. Great, friendly service, delicious food and good wine. never disappointing!Special Features:
- katyVIPDined on 5/24/2014Pomodoro is a neighborhood gem. They have great food, the service is friendly, and the atmosphere is inviting, warm and relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemdgkphdDined on 5/24/2014Friendly, efficient, knowledgeable wait staff. Food is well prepared. Had the wild bass special and it was well prepared, could have done without the rice. My friend had a pasta dish with shrimp. Pasta was well prepared as was the shrimp. We eat there as often as we can and we have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great graduation dinner!GroupCelebrationDined on 5/21/2014This restaurant was a perfect choice to celebrate my son's high school graduation. The setting is rustic and cozy. The staff friendly and attentive. There was something delicious on the menu for everyone, from steak for the graduation boy and pizza for his little sister, to seafood pasta for my husband and fresh fish for me. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pastas!!SpangleNYCVIPDined on 5/16/2014Love the whole wheat pasta with shrimp and vegetables - it's always absolutely delicious and tasty and a very generous portion. There's a good combination of flavors and textures, which adds to the pleasure. Service was efficient and attentive.Special Features:
- JMKMDined on 5/3/2014Good food, good service. The salad could be improved upon considering the price. Entrée we chose, salmon and chicken parm were both very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 63 reviews are from the Pomodoro Rosso reviews archive.
- Neighborhood Gem.EljayceeDined on 4/20/2014Good food, service and value. Brunch, lunch or dinner quality is consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Occasional New York visitorDineWithKidDined on 4/19/2014This place offers good choice of menu for any dining time, not only for the dinner. The service was fast and cuisine outstanding, given very moderate prices. There is no special kid's menu but they strive to satisfy you giving all possible options to combine. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/10/2014Always a great experience, been going here for 10 years. Food is always excellent. Staff is very friendly and makes sure you feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Gem on the Upper West Side2explorersVIPDined on 4/5/2014We have enjoyed wonderful meals at Pomodoro for many years. It never disappoints. Besides the delicious innovative specials and menu items, the courteous and warm service make it most popular with locals, faithful to return to the reliable delicious meals, generous portions and creative plates. The touch of a well seasoned staff make the experience here a treat every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, small tableSGK10023VIPDined on 4/5/2014All the pasta here is delicious! We used to come here all the time and order in from here, but since we cook a lot of pasta at home, have not been doing that. We're happy we came back. But our table was too small for 6 people(and we had a reservation so it wasn't like they were fitting us in at the last minute) so it was challenging to juggle all the food plates and the water and drink glasses- made the meal a bit unpleasant. The entrees were also very slow in coming out. The bread to start is yummy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great welcome, service & ambiance.glh3VIPDined on 4/3/2014Great welcome, service & ambiance. Mediocre food even at the moderate prices. I loved the place but wish the food were a little better.Special Features:
- Not a great dinning experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014Great menu. Received chipped and cracked water glass. Clams Casino were mostly breadcrumbs. Would not order again. Monkfish special was overcooked and dry.Special Features:
- Great, delicious UWS restaurant!JimNYCDined on 3/31/2014I came here for an anniversary date, and the service and food were exceptional. The manager was accommodating and let us sit at a bigger table, as we had a few things with us (bag, flowers). We had the salad special to start, which was delicious. Our entrees came quickly, and I have to say was one of the best Italian dishes I have had in a while. The menu is fairly priced ($25-35 average), which is expected from a nice UWS restaurant. The ambiance is very nice and quiet. We will definitely come back here again. Very highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningSteubyDined on 3/22/2014We had a very nice meal here. Went before a show. The service was excellent and our meals were as well. The service was fast and attentive. The atmosphere is lively .......the tables are close together.....but that was not bothersome for us....it's a fun place.Special Features:
- Always Great Food !1MEATLOVERDined on 3/22/2014We came here to celebrate a birthday. We were 6 at the table and although we had different plates, the food was fantastic. The service was just as good. Great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FooddgkphdDined on 3/15/2014My friend and I eat at this terrific Italian restaurant every chance we get. The food and service are outstanding. If you live or are in the neighborhood don't hesitate to make a reservation and stop in for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood GemDineazureVIPDined on 3/14/2014The food and service is consistently good. There is no pretense, just an easy relaxing place to eat. The staff could not be better and take very good care of their patrons. I've been going here consistently for several years and it is my go-to neighborhood place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food Ever!FlorenceDined on 3/14/2014When I booked this place, I was expecting a small average meal for dinner. What I found was an amazing dining experience with great service and the best Italian food I ever tasted! The service was amazing and the portion sizes of the meal was perfect! I receommend the linguini alla vongole (I exchanged the linguini for cappellini) and the baked clams for an appetizer were absolutely the best! I cannot find the words to describe this place....overall, everything was to perfection! I will definitely come back here again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.