229 Columbus Ave.
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pomodororossonyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 721-3009
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm.
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from Pomodoro Rosso
Pomodoro, at 229 Columbus Avenue has been a neighborhood favorite for years. The beautifully prepared Italian classics and excellent service has earned this restaurant a loyal following of Upper West Siders. Beige walls adorned with decorative ceramic plates from Italy, a ceiling trellis with hanging grapes and red and white-checkered tablecloths evoke the feeling of an authentic Italian trattoria. The street side outdoor café is the place to sit and enjoy a glass of wine and savor the antipasti while watching the people stride by.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pomodoro Rosso reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (66)fit for foodies (26)great for outdoor dining (23)good for groups (20)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (14)romantic (11)special occasion (9)great for brunch (6)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Very goodRobertDined on 11/15/2014Very good italian food, good service. Good eat and go to Lincoln Center. I like Pomodoro Rosso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- USW ClassicJoseDined on 11/13/2014Good. A USW classic. Team is friendly and time to time they are very funny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sassyDined on 11/9/2014chose this restaurant blind off the internet. Excellent find. we went to a show on columbus ave. and looked for a nearby eatery. 6 of us all loved what we had. would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Exceptional Italian cuisine!NYCguy1907Dined on 11/8/2014The food, the service, the ambiance, the greeting at the door... all top notch! Will be back again very soon for sure. Probably the best veal parmesan I've had in a long, long time. The appetizers were also very delightful (bruschetta, jumbo shrimp). Don't forget the parmesan truffle fries! Thank you Pomodoro Rosso for a wonderful dining experience.
- Family favoriteAC22VIPDined on 11/7/2014My husband, son and I go here most Fridays...as it's my son's favorite. It's always consistently great.Special Features:
- Authentic ItalianLivingLightDined on 11/5/2014One of my favorite NY restaurants. The food is good and the staff is attentive.Special Features:
- Too loud!weekendfor2Dined on 10/31/2014Very small loud place. Servers were nice . Food nothing special. Had spaghetti with meatballs and sausage , it was ok. Could have gotten better elsewhere. Will not be back.Special Features:
- so soRobboVIPDined on 10/25/2014Very crowded at 6 pm on a Saturday night. Felt like I could barely breathe. Food was brought out SUPER SUPER fast suggesting that just maybe it was already pre-made??? Didn't taste the freshest I have tasted. Chicken Parm was mediocre. Salad was fresh. Generally, unimpressed. Go to Marconi's 8 blocks away - its a much better version of this restaurant.
- Consistently goodHateCilantroVIPDined on 10/24/2014The food is delicious and the portions are generous.Special Features:
- lovely experienceQualityFrugalityVIPDined on 10/23/2014Great service from the moment we walked in. Delicious meal- I had sautéed shrimp, my partner had the fish special. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2014A neighborhood gem with a pleasant staff that serves reliable well balanced simple Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly Wonderful1MEATLOVERVIPDined on 10/18/2014The food as well as the service are simply perfect. No matter what I order, be it a fish or chicken dish, I leave the restaurant satisfied. I keep going back - need any more proof ?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow KitchenJoan08Dined on 10/18/2014We arrived promptly at 6:00 P.M. informing or waiter that we had tickets for 8:00 P.M. at Lincoln Center. He said you have plenty of time. Our order was taken at 6:15 our salad served at 6:30 and then our main dish was not served until 7:00 P.M. My dish was cold on top and hot underneath. By the time we finished the main dish and the table was cleared we did not have sufficient time for coffee and asked for the check. We arrived at Lincoln Center 5 minutes before an 8'0 clock curtain. It is not a place I would choose to eat at if I had theatre tickets.
- A little expensiveBertDined on 10/8/2014if it were one-third less expensive it would be a decent neighborhood trattoria. Pleasant staff, but the food was nothing special.
- great find!DianaVIPDined on 10/2/2014Such a delightful surprise in terms of ambiance, food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Italian place on the UWSAndyjoDined on 9/29/2014I have been coming to Pomodoro Rosso for many many years...and although I no longer live in the neighborhood, I often come when attending events at Lincoln Center. The service is always impeccably gracious, the space is warm and inviting. It is a great example of a "neighborhood gem", starting with the yummy bread and olives, and proceeding to the great meat, pasta and fish dishes. My one slight reservation was that the Caesar salad opener was not so terrific. Perhaps it needed more dressing or "zip". That said, the wines list always offers a solid and reliably selectioon. The tiramisu was to die for.Special Features:
- Recommended by a local friendLscharf1Dined on 9/20/2014The only dish that wasn't terribly exciting was the puttanesca. Otherwise everything fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good and great serviceKerr14Dined on 9/20/2014We had a party of four that grew to 6 and they were very quick to accommodate. The food came out extremely quick and was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of New York!JackieWaltDined on 9/19/2014This is a quintessential NYC experience. We love to dine at Pomodoro Rosso every time we visit NYC. Every person visiting NYC needs to share this wonderful dining adventure. From the Maitre d', who is very personable, to the busboy, your dining experience will be exceptional.Special Features:
- Good food but noisyletseatoutDined on 9/13/2014What happened to restaurants in which ine can talk without raising one's voice? I had wonderful liguine wth clams but would have enjoyed it better if I could hear my companions speak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedmommieshopsDined on 9/13/2014Met family for a Sat lunch, food just ok, frankly I was disappointed in flavor, or lack of. Maybe it was an off day. Decent portion for cost, but if it doesn't taste like much does that even matter. I did appreciate the weekend brunch and lunch menu to select from (not all restaurants on Saturday offer both menu's which I appreciated and I look for before booking). We were not rushed and spent nearly 3 hrs at the table...which was nice for us to visit, but not sure if others would want to hang that long. Restaurant was nearly empty which also could have attributed to our relaxed lunch. Interior cute, and probably deserves a second chance if I lived in the neighborhood, I would probably try this restaurant again, since I don't, I won't.
- Food is good, a bit expensive.Claudio82Dined on 9/12/2014Food and service was very good. Atmosphere is right what you would expect from an Italian restaurant. We got pastas and the dishes were looking great. Wine was OK. A little bit on the expensive side for what we got.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2parVIPDined on 9/12/2014Something has changed. This is not the Pomodore that we used to really like. Service is not the same. We asked for a side of sauce. It was served 5 minutes before the main course. Our main course was served at 3 different times. The portions and food have been drastically changed and for the better.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Although I had a confirmation from Open Table, when we arrived the hostess had no record of that. It was Ok though because there were plenty of open tables. Once served, I could understand why there were not a lot of people there. I have dined here many times in the past and was always satisfied but not this time. The server did not seem to have an understanding of the menu and had to "go check" when we asked her questions. We both ordered an open steak sandwich but it arrived with no bread. They did add the bread ("new chef" we were told.) It came back but too little too late. Steak was tough and grizzly. We will not go back.Special Features:
- Chris1VIPDined on 9/6/2014I have been to this redtaurant many times, food is consistent. Quite noisy but very good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood italianJjnycVIPDined on 9/4/2014reliably good food, friendly service, nice warm ambience. also has a few sidewalk tables. a neighborhood staple.Special Features:
- Mama Would Like ItCiceroDined on 8/27/2014My wife and I first dined at Pomodoro Rosso two years ago prior to attending a concert at Lincoln Center. We enjoyed the food and ambiance so much that when we do visit New York City from New Jersey for any function, we return to Pomodoro. It is a no-fuss restaurant with deliciously prepared food. This is our fifth visit and we have not been disappointed, save for the inability to order dessert due to the size of the portions served us. Service is attentive and prices moderate. We feel at home at Pomodore, and coming from Italians who grew up in households whose parents were born in Italy and were the best cooks on earth, that's a lot.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014food was very good with plentiful portions menu was varied with something for everyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodeeeeeVIPDined on 8/20/2014The food was amazing - very tasty food and the presentation was great. Service was equally great. Although I live in the neighborhood, I have not been in this place in ages. It was such a pleasant surprise! I will definitely recommend this place to my friends.Special Features:
- Dependable and friendlycatgirlflVIPDined on 8/18/2014Very good traditional italian food. Wish they had more outside tables, the inside feels more appropriate for cold weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jazzrbob at PomodorojazzrbobDined on 8/12/2014The food was very good, from the salad through dessert. Service was excellent. Our waiter let us sit and talk for a long time and never pressured us for our order, or check payment. Prices were moderate for Manhattan. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014The food was very good as they allow you to alter your food selection as you'd like. Only issue we had was that the service was a tad bit slow considering the restaurant wasn't that busy. However, I would recommend to everyone.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemOurItalianDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I live in the neighborhood and have been dining here for years. We love the food and the fine service. Peter, the owner, goes beyond expectations to make his customers visits pure pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceluv2dineVIPDined on 7/28/2014great service by warm and friendly staff with good food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 83 reviews are from the Pomodoro Rosso reviews archive.
- wonderfuljcjmDined on 7/23/2014Authentic Italian. Prices were reasonable for NYC. GREAT service. Meal and dessert were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lus2eatDined on 7/10/2014Foods ok. Near the apartment and always can be seated.Special Features:
- Good, abundant food and busySpeisekritikerDined on 7/5/2014The gentleman who seated me immediately ( I assume he was the owner from his concern with all aspects of operation ) keeps his eye on everything and this attention is reflected by the efficiency of the staff. My waiter was not always attentive but other staff were so I never felt neglected even though most of my needs were met by others. The food was good and plentiful although a bit mild for my taste. I particularly liked being able to have whole wheat pasta as a substitute.Special Features:
- Would go backMaitetxuDined on 7/5/20149 of us (3 generations) came here for an early dinner after Lincoln Center matinee. We were accommodated very easily by the restaurant. The restaurant filled up quickly and is clearly a "go to" for the neighborhood. Pomodoro Rosso provided tasty food, generous portions and friendly atmosphere. Would come back.Special Features:
- great evening2explorersVIPDined on 6/21/2014After an excellent movie, walked over to Pomodora which was a continuation of a super experience. We can count on a delicious creative dinner (we tend to choose the "specials"). Staff, delightful and thoughtful. Even though busy, we were treated well and not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UWScoupleDined on 6/21/2014Great spot for pre Lincoln Center dinner. We would certainly go back before another performance at Lincoln Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.