554 Old Post Road #3
Greenwich, CT 06830Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.polporestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2036291999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 11:45am - 11:30pm; Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Franco Maltagliatti
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater events such as corporate presentations, board meetings, retirement dinners, holiday parties, anniversaries, birthdays, and graduations.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private upstairs room can accommodate up to 80 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Chacho 2036291999
- Entertainment: Live entertainment and piano bar nightly.
A word from Polpo
Polpo Restaurant serves exquisitely prepared Tuscan cuisine in a warm and inviting countryside atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Polpo - Best Restaurants in Greenwich ›
Polpo reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (23)romantic (22)neighborhood gem (22)great for outdoor dining (21)fit for foodies (21)special occasion (20)good for groups (15)hot spot (11)great for lunch (10)notable wine list (10)late-night find (9)great for brunch (4)Show More
- worst service EVER---EMBARRASSINGgefsDined on 8/9/20148pm were seated in empty room upstairs.We ordered nonacl drinks @8:15 THEN,no action at table until 9 when we placed order & were told "kitchen backed up". Hostess came over @ 9 & asked how everything was. hard to know, hadn't been served 1 thing. The waiter never came back thru entire meal never asked if we wanted another drink. Were not served our meal for another hour..10pm and 3/4 meals sent back(2 wrong dishes& 1 RAW pork dish).Was told 2 chefs "in hospital" and manager in kitchen, unavailable. We asked him to come when free, never showed up! The other 3 meals finally came.. and we were eating dinner at 11pm. The fish portion EXTREMELY small. Virgin mary $12 !!! Valet tip $4! MOST UNPLEASANT MEAL EVER WORST SERVICE. SHOULD BE ASHAMED
- rbocaVIPDined on 8/2/2014very good food and excellent service. convenient for Greenwich and northern Westchester patrons.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/2/2014food was good but the place a bit outdated and too much staff
- Too bad the waitstaff isn't betterRainVIPDined on 7/29/2014Our waiter outside was in a daze. I asked him a question about one of the ingredients and he got annoyed with me. I think this restaurant gives the best service to their repeat customers but. they may find no new repeat customers if they treat new diners the way they treated us. This is not my first complaint about the service at Polpo. Don't think we will be going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- PerfectoFrancoisVIPDined on 7/24/2014Polpo is one of the best restaurants in Greenwich. I've been eating at Polpo since it opened and have had excellent meals every time. Everything on the menu is great. It's the ideal place for a business meal or to bring your date. The tables are spread out among different rooms so you feel at home.Special Features:
- LadieswholunchDined on 7/22/2014I went to Polpo for lunch with two other women. We had a reservation for 12:30. The restaurant was empty when we arrived there and even when we left at 1:30 there were only two other tables occupied. We all ordered the chicken paillaird with arugula salad and each of us commented to each other that the chicken was way too salty. Also, the portion was very small and the chicken very very thin. Unfortunately none of us had paid attention to the price of the salad and it turned out that they were almost $30 each. This was way overpriced for what we were served and therefore I would never recommend this restaurant..
- NYRHVIPDined on 7/12/2014Del Posto prices for Arthur Avenue food. Although the service is quite good and the setting is charming, the disparity between the quality of the food and the cost of a meal is shocking, almost offensive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/9/2014The food was very good with attentive service. Definitely recommendSpecial Features:
- Jazz pianistPianogirl7VIPDined on 7/7/2014Not only delicious food but a jazz pianist playing all our favorite tunes in the bar where we were dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatniteoutDined on 7/5/2014I've been to Polpo several times and I love this restaurant. I recommend sitting in the bar area where there is live music and usually a great bar scene. The foodie terrific and the wine menu is excellent. Service has always even very good however the waiter we had on the most recent visit had an attitude and was not very accommodating. It happens. I'd go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/28/2014Food was very good and kitchen did a great job accommodating the over crowded, very noisy restaurant with rushed, abrupt waiters who were too busy to treat the customers with compassion they deserve. Not a relaxing place at all!
- Great as always.Elians1Dined on 6/27/2014Excellent food, excellent service. These people know how to take care of their guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedAverageDined on 6/21/2014I am not sure why this resturant gets such great reviews. The service while very friendly and knowledgable was very slow. The food was ok but not worthy of its reputation. The bar had live music which sounded great but very loud for many of the tables close to the bar. If you go make sure you are not seated near the bar or you will find it hard to have a conversation. The other thing I found annoying was the receipt had a space for a tip and a tip for the captain....that has mostly disappeared in most restaurants and the valet slip asked for a $4 tip. I understand the staff needs to earn a living but it seemed a bit of over emphasis on tipping. Perhaps we were there at a super busy time and things were out of sync that night.
- Once againTobyJaneDined on 6/15/2014We frequent Polpo often and it is consistently excellent.Special Features:
- MarkVIPDined on 6/14/2014One of Greenwich's finest, great menu, bold face names in the crowd, lively bar, live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKeyzerSozeDined on 6/3/2014Great service, great valet parking, great food, great outdoor dining, and little traffic to deal with. all around great.Special Features:
- Horrible service Horrible foodBlondebaby3VIPDined on 5/31/2014I knew we were in for a rough ride when we waited 30 minutes to place a drink order. After another 30 minutes my husband got up to find a waiter to place the food order. After forty minutes entrees arrived cold and over cooked. It seems that only regulars get any kind of service or attention. Unfortunately for them, we eat out seven nights a week, dropped. $300.00 for two people, and will never return.
- Always outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2014Polpo is consistently outstanding in terms of food, service and ambience. You can't go wrong no matter what the occasion.Special Features:
- What a Special Place!Ellebo13VIPDined on 5/12/2014Our Anniversary, and last minute we decided to go to Polpo...An Italian restaurant tucked onto a side street in a wonderful stone and wood historic house. Romantic but not snooty, bustling but not overpowering and the perfect choice. Service is top notch as not only did we have a waiter, and bus boys, but maitre'd and owner stopped over a few times yet were not intrusive at all. The food was excellent, Veal Chop Parm was the not only the biggest we had ever seen, but the most tender, juicy and flavorful. A house specialty, Angry Lobster ( at $28 lb ) is an entire lobster in a spicy broth, cracked and ready to dig into. Delicious. Raw Bar clams and oysters were too pricey and too small. But Overall a special place and worth the visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerSihudsonVIPDined on 5/3/2014Lovely service, ambiance and delicious good! The owner is the greatest, makes you feel so welcome and the waiters and staff were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 230 reviews are from the Polpo reviews archive.
- Excellent Italian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/1/2014My wife and I went to Polpo for our anniversary. Really good traditional Italian food with a pleasant atmosphere and appropriate service. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- LbepVIPDined on 4/30/2014Best restaurant meal we have had in a long time, worth the trip from anywhere in Fairfield County.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceBonbon62VIPDined on 4/26/2014Great place but was a bit too crowded! Waited 45 min to be seated in the main dining room, because we didn't wand to sit upstairs. Live music gave of a fun touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GemCathywDined on 4/19/2014Everything at Polpo deserves a superlative. Decor. Food. Service. Those are the big three for me. Polpo excels at all. And more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent excellenceSuzanneDined on 4/18/2014Polpo is fantastic every time. From the appetizers to dessert, everything you put in your mouth is delicious. Service is excellent, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in GreenwichTobyJaneDined on 4/12/2014My family continues to choose Polpo when we try to figure out a restaurant we all want to go to. Superb food and service. In a town with loads of restaurants, this one is outstanding.Special Features:
- Disappointing eveningdiningdiva1VIPDined on 4/9/2014The experience was better than the last time I was there because this time I was with a "regular." We were given the best rather than the worst table in the place, the service was very good rather than obligatory. The food was still mediocre. Beef carpaccio was watery and mushy from having been frozen, with no flavor. Angry lobster, their signature dish, was good, not great, was served barely warm not hot due to long wait between courses. The valet parking ticket (you must use the valets, no self-parking option permitted) says: suggested tip $4.00! I have never seen that before and think it is presumptuous and high for a valet tip, especially at a small suburban restaurant where the valet has to walk only a few steps to get the cars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrustratingBarney2VIPDined on 3/29/2014Although the food at this restaurant is very good, our overall experience was not. The restaurant has valet parking and you can not park your car yourself, unless apparently if you "pay off" the valet attendant. When we walked in to the restaurant to talk to the person at the front (who was apparently the owner) he said "What, do you have a Bentley?" He was extremely rude. After we waited some time at the bar for our friends to arrive we requested to be seated at our table when it was time for our reservation. Although the table was ready, we were promptly sent back to the bar to wait for our friends who were running late. This was now the second time we were made to feel unwelcome and uncomfortable at the entrance to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Top notch food, service is lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/29/2014We have been to Polpo enough times to know that the food is always going to be good. I can't recall enough about the service oft past experiences which can only mean it must have been fine. Generally speaking the hostesses are friendly and the owner walks around checking on things. Our waiter, however was pushy and impatient. I actually might think twice before heading back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in GreenwichstellaVIPDined on 3/28/2014Food was outstanding. Pastas executed perfectly. Chicken parmesan as you have never had before. Amazing chicken dish stuffed with fontina and proscuitto. Tuna tartare fresh. Angry lobster to die for. And an amazing deconstructed napoleon dessert. Nothing disappoints here. Service was professional and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SMBowmanVIPDined on 3/8/2014Consistently excellent food served by skilled and well managed service teamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Invisible dinnerdiningdiva1VIPDined on 3/8/2014Though we have been there many times, we were treated as strangers. When checking coats, a pushy woman tried to check a coat between us as we were handing our coats to the girl. It turns out she worked for the restaurant and was trying to get "known" people in first. We were put at the worst table in the back, after passing many empty tables for 2. I asked if another was available, the maître d' snapped at me a curt "NO!" with no explanation. The glasses on the table were dirty. The food was fine, nothing extraordinary but nothing wrong either. Service was adequate, no warmth. We were not offered the board with specials until we asked for it. No effort was made to engage us or encourage us to return. Noisy, kids screaming at next table.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Food was excellant and service attentive. Only negative was that service was a little too quick. Pace could have been more relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stuck in the back roomgramercynewcanaanDined on 2/22/2014Polpo is my father's favorite restaruant so I requested his favorite spot - the room next to the bar on the first floor. I requested it via open table and then again on the phone the same day - I was told they would try but it wasn't guaranteed. Not only were we not seated in the room next to the bar - we were put in the very back room on the second floor. This room was empty - absolutely no ambiance. It felt like the mediocre Italian restaurant down the street - dated and tired tacky decor on walls with crumbly looking walls and lurking waiters. The waiters were rude - lurking, not giving us time to figure out our order, trying to rush our dinner. I was extremely disappointed and will not be back any time soon.
- Very good neighborhood restaurant--OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/21/2014Very good neighborhood restaurant--great for any day but particularly for a Friday or Saturday dinner to recover from the week and set you up for the weekend. lively scene and food and service are always great. Stay downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish !!!MsJoeDined on 2/15/2014Excellent dinner as always ! Had the short ribs OMG !!! Risotto was also excellent !!! Great night out !!Special Features:
- Waiting at the barBosonVIPDined on 2/14/2014I arrived 15mins before my reservation and was told to wait at the bar, my table would be ready shortly. During my 45 minute wait at the bar I was approached several times by three different maitre 'ds with three different waiting lists. My name went on each list multiple times, meanwhile, the number of people waiting at the bar continued to grow. Finally, I angrily approached the podium and told them if I'm not seated in 5 minutes I would be leaving. They were not nice about it, but we were seated and enjoyed a nice meal and a complimentary after dinner drink. This restaurant has been around for a long time, unfortunately, they handled a busy evening like a bunch of amateurs.Special Features:
- Overprice, Overcrowded, OverratedLS198117Dined on 2/14/2014Went Here on Valentines Day, What a Giant Mistake. 1st of all we were seated at 915 for our 830 reservations, which we arrived at 815 for. 2nd, the restaurant offered no sorts of apology complimentary beverage or anything for the additional 45 min wait. 3rd we were rushed through our meal, my girlfriend requested some appetizers to start because she was very hungry and the waiter rudley said, i'll come when your whole order is ready, we're to busy to take appetizers first. Possibly the worst Service ever, took another 45 min to bring us our food, the food was good but nothing special, but the terirble service already left a bitter taste in my mouth. I work in Greenwich and will be sure to NEVER recommend this place to any of my co-workers.
- Wonderful Valentine's DinnerSuzanneDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I had a quiet table in the corner. The food was outstanding. (lamb chops and chicken parmesan) Perfectly lovely, romantic Valentine's Dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gemseafODined on 2/14/2014Polpo will always be our favorite spot....we meet there..got engaged at the same table. The service,,,food and atmosphere is always perfect. You are never rushed no matter how busy they are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.