45 Seventh Street
Garden City, NY 11530Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.polosteakhouseny.com/
- Phone: (516) 877-9385
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -2pm
Lunch: Saturday (Polo Lounge): 11:30am - Close
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Dinner: Sunday 6pm-10PM
Afternoon Tea: Saturday 2PM-5PM
Brunch: Sunday: Seatings begin at 11:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Michael Mandato
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Garden City Hotel offers special event, celebration and meeting catering throughout the 25,000 sq. ft of event space in the hotel, from the Grand Ballroom to the English Garden. Speak to our Catering Director at 516.663.7010
- Entertainment: The adjacent Polo Lounge offers a DJ spinning sultry sounds on Thursdays, Friday night pianist Ray Cohen and a jazz band every Saturday night.
- Special Events: See our holiday calendar for an array of seasonal events!
Thanksgiving Harvest Buffet
Latke Flight at the Polo Lounge
Christmas Eve and Christmas Dinner
Breakfast with Santa and Elsa from Frozen
A word from Polo Steakhouse
Polo Steakhouse, a classic American Steakhouse, is led by Executive Chef Michael Mandato. Chef Mandato's menu features 28-day dry aged USDA prime grade steaks, fresh seafood, signature entrees and mouth-watering desserts. Re-imagined by Italian designer Marcello Pozzi, Polo Steakhouse incorporates hand-laid mahogany herringbone floors with deep cabernet textiles and custom made Italian furniture. Polo Steakhouse seats approximately 120 and includes The Wine Room, a private dining space for special events and celebrations. Open for lunch Monday through Friday, dinner served daily 5:30pm-10pm. The Garden City Hotel's famous Sunday Brunch is every Sunday, 11:30am-3PM. Saturday Afternoon Tea is every Saturday, 2pm-5pm. Polo Lounge, with a 24' granite bar and cozy fireplace, is open for breakfast, cocktails and small plates daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Polo Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (13)romantic (10)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (5)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- ambience yes! steak no!unitoro08VIPDined on 11/6/2014I am absolutely a steak lover fr peter luger, mortons and even wagyu beef a1 in japan. Polo steak 2 and half star only :-/ the interiori is 4 stars!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeMoluvfoodDined on 11/5/2014The food was great. Atmosphere was excellent. The service was very well timely. The crab cakes was good and the salmon was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, tough steaks.ACarnivoreDined on 10/16/2014Although the service and surroundings are very good, the Garden City Hotel's Polo Steakhouse "prime aged meat" is very tough and chewy. We each had the prime rib eye steaks, at close to $70.00 a piece, and nearly needed a chainsaw to cut them. People in the Garden City area looking for good steaks would be much better-off going to the Capital Grill (About one or two miles away, in Roosevelt Field Mall) or to Peter Luger's in Great Neck. You will pay about the same price but get much better quality meat. The restaurant had only three other tables dining on a Thursday night, and they appeared to be hotel guests. Locals probably know better.Special Features:
- Nice placePaulVIPDined on 10/11/2014Limited menu , comfortable place. Overall nice , kitchen did confuse our steak orders on how cooked which odd a nice a alow night. But like said nice placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak in Garden CityOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014This a wonderful addition to the Garden City Hotel. Super ambiance, food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 30 reviews are from the Polo Steakhouse reviews archive.
- Ambience not what it used to beTeaAndTVforTwoDined on 7/5/2014This was our first time having "Afternoon Tea" at the GCH since the hotel underwent renovation - we try to have Tea once a year at the GCH. Instead of "Afternoon Tea" being served in the main restaurant, it was served in the bar/lounge area. The bar/lounge area is very nice with large screen TVs and comfortable seating - but it really is not the place to serve "Afternoon Tea" There was a very nice violinist - but it seemed out-of-place with the sports programming being shown on the TVs around the room. The food was very good and the service was (as always) excellent - our server having remembered us from our previous visits.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerTeaAndTVforTwoDined on 6/14/2014Have been coming to the Garden City Hotel for our Anniversary Dinner for years (we had our wedding reception at this hotel). This was our first time at Polo Steakhouse since the hotel redid their restaurant concept. There is not much to complain about with regards to the food, and the service was outstanding (it was also nice to see some recognizable faces among the restaurant staff with the changeover to the new restaurant). The real "challenge" here is the pricing - it is hard to justify in my opinion and, I am not sure if such a price-point is sustainable for those of us not on an expense account. The value proposition this restaurant represents is lacking. Case in point: $50 for a somewhat small steak is a stretch.Special Features:
- January49VIPDined on 6/7/2014This was a truly wonderful experience. Went ther after the Belmont and even though California Chrome loast it turned out to be a great evening. The Steaks we had were outstanding. Done perfectly, tasted great and the house sauce made it even better. Vegetables were done perfect and delicious. Service was great, wine was great, and on & on. Top of my list to return when in the area.Special Features:
- Poor food quality.JuanQVIPDined on 5/23/2014Food does not reflect the service or the ambiance of the restaurant!
- Nope.mailmeDined on 5/17/2014Porterhouse for two was tough. Sides unimpressive. Way overpriced for the quality of food, but good service.
- Great stake placelove2eatDined on 5/10/2014Steaks were good. Servers were very nice. Wine list is terrible and not typical of good steak restaurantsI would recommend this to a friend.
- No Go PoloGlobaltravelerVIPDined on 5/4/2014This was a bad experience all around. I had a reservation for 5:00 and had to wait 20 minutes because they said that they don't usually open the restaurant until 5:30. Then why do they allow you to make a reservation for 5:00? I had the beet salad which was decent, and the swordfish which was really shark and was absolutely tasteless. For dessert, I had some kind of chocolate cake which was so bad that after 2 forkfuls all I wanted was the check. The food may be OK for those without a gourmet palate.
- Very classykittyDined on 5/2/2014This is a beautiful renovation of a wonderful restaurant. I am glad it is back. Service is excellent and food wonderful. Very comfortable chairs and great overall dining experience. It is very pricey so you may want to save this for special occasions.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekAndyDined on 4/28/2014We dined at the restaurant during restaurant week. The braised short ribs were delicious served beautifully and attentively. The chocolate mousse layer cake dessert was most delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but priceyAllyVIPDined on 4/19/2014The room is lovely. The menu is good. The steaks were very expensive. The waiter was very attentive and helpful. Would recommend for a special occasion because we are Long Island not the city. The prices for steaks were ridiculously higher than the city prices!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't impressedLizzieVIPDined on 4/14/2014While the ambiance was enjoyable, the food wasn't good enough to outway the cost, I found my steak dry and the sample of soup I was given needed salt. We went on a slow night so I guess the waiters weren't busy enough so they kept coming to the table to "check on us" but it was interrupting our conversation and it started to get annoying.
- This restaurant is part ofianlynnVIPDined on 3/30/2014This restaurant is part of a large hotel. We ate there on a Sunday evening, and the restaurant was almost empty. The service was very good but I would not really recommend this restaurant; it was very expense.Special Features:
- opinionlstbyDined on 3/22/2014Service and ambience was excellent but the foof was blah. I expected more in taste and execution for the high prices.Special Features:
- Steak Excellence!lola31Dined on 2/16/2014I heard this restaurant reviewed on the radio; it sounded delicious. So, to celebrate a 60th birthday I decided to try it. The ambience was charming, the food cooked to perfection and outstandingly delicious!!!! Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Steak and Lamb ChopsJimGDined on 2/15/2014Went with my wife for my birthday on a snowy Saturday night as we had a gift card. I work in the City and have been to all the major steakhouses as well as most on Long Island. I thought that that bone-in-filet was as good as any steak I've had in a very long time. Lamb chops were also very, very good. Appetizers (lobster bisque), sides (steak fries, steamed spinach) and dessert were average at best. The bread they put on the table after you're seated is very good. Would definitely go back again for a steak. One minor note. I'm 6 ft tall and thought the tables were too high or the chairs too low. Tables were also very wide so not really conducive for a romantic meal though the room ambiance is very nice, Service was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Steakhouse!SeanDined on 2/15/2014Cozy seating and attentive, friendly service. Food was excellent from the appetizers (we had octopus special, beef tartare, and lobster bisque) to the steak (had the 37 oz KC strip special). The desserts looked great, but after all that we had to pass (though they gave us tasty chocolate chip cookies "for the road"). Prices are what you'd expect for a higher-end steakhouse, but you certainly get your money's worth and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect and Pricey BrunchFoodiedbDined on 2/9/2014The brunch here is amazing! The food is fantastic (split lobster tails, peeled jumbo shrimp, sushi, short ribs, fresh waffles, several fish dishes, several chicken dishes, fancy cheeses, eggs Benedict, and oh, so much more). The staff is great, and there are no lines...however, you do pay for all of this luxury. But, for a special occasion, or just to splurge now and then, it's yummily worth it. PS The desserts are amazing too!Special Features:
- afternoon tea gemkathiDined on 1/25/2014We loved our afternoon tea for a special occasion. The staff was very accomodating to changing our table away from the violinist because my friend and I wanted to talk to each other, and the music prohibited that. While I appreciate a classical performer, I am not sure whether violin versus piano is the best choice. Also, I would have preferred more savory sandwiches and a few less sweets. Attentive service, very responsive. Treating two more friends to tea in near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food,excellent serviceRohitVIPDined on 1/12/2014Very good food,excellent service and beautiful place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything about the brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/12/2014Everything about the brunch experience was over the top. Bravo! The price however seems a bit too high and I didn't like that a gratuity was automatically added to my bill.Special Features:
- Dining experience was wonderfulLuv2dineDined on 1/10/2014Dining experience was wonderful from the Food to the atmosphere. We decided to be seated in the lounge where we felt it to be more casual and we were delighted. We ordered the porterhouse for two. It was perfect. The service was exemplary. I highly recommend this restaurant for a special occasion with a special someone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Find!CarolCDined on 12/28/2013Friends and I wanted to get together for dinner at a nice place. Polo is that place. We were a group of ten and had a great rectangular/square table in the center of the dining room. Service was very attentive and the decor was beautiful. The food was very very good. I had the lamb chops - done to perfection and so tender. The portions are quite large. Definitely would recommend it for groups and also for couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I expected betteramazingVIPDined on 12/26/2013The only thing that came out of here was the shrimp and bread. I was so disappointed with the steak. It was a bad cut and there was way too much fat. They should not have even put it on the grill. I don't know if Ill be back with so many other choices.Special Features:
- Food and service were excellent.marvDined on 12/7/2013Food and service were excellent. Since the walls and the floor are hardwoods, the noise level can get to be intrusive.Special Features:
- Small portions. Steak notbossarchVIPDined on 11/30/2013Small portions. Steak not up to the grilled quality of the other great steal houses. Very overpriced for the portions.
- Disappointed in Garden CityBigEdVIPDined on 11/29/2013Took my family of five here the Friday after Thanksgiving. Newly opened and themed restaurant in the stately Garden City Hotel, purchased by Morris Moinan a year ago. Nice atmosphere with attentive service. Caesar salad table-side a nice touch; cleaning the bowl between servings would have been appreciated. Porterhouse tasted excellent, but arrived cool to the touch and without char. Serving size only adequate, better value can be had in the many steakhouse competitors on Long Island.
- Polo Steakhouse 5 Stars8GREATDined on 11/16/2013Lobster bisque , crab cakes filled with crab, Porterhouse for two medium rare. The lobster bisque was creamy with lots of flavor(but no chunks of lobster present you might expect for the price.) The crab cakes were filling and stuffed with crab meat. The dry aged porterhouse was cooked to perfection and tender and delicious. The decor was nice exept for the low back sofas that they use as seating for one side of the tables. These proved to be very uncomfortable after a while. Good service. I would recommend thus restaurant. small sofa's they use for seating at the tables have very low backs Steak sauce that I though was great but the predominate flavor was horse radiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the Sunday evening thatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/10/2013On the Sunday evening that we dined there, the restaurant's official grand opening was scheduled to be held a full 5 days later, and word of its early opening had not yet spread, which resulted in it being lightly patronized that evening. Nonetheless, the Polo Steak House did not disappoint. We found everything about the food and service to be 100% okay and have already recommended the restaurant to a number of our friends. We will be returning there soon to dine again and also with family and friends on Xmas Eve (a multi-decade family tradition for us at the Garden City Hotel). We are unhesitant with recommending the Polo Steak House to anyone who enjoys dining at a classy establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Place Can't Rise Above NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/9/2013The place looks lovely. Food was quite good. But the party venue located right next door has loud music thumping through the walls and ground that no level of service or quality of food can rise above. If some serious sound proofing is not done, this place will not last. Service was not as attentive as it could have been for a less than full restaurant 1 week before the grand opening. Too bad - had potential.
- Great food - we all had steak.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/9/2013Great food - we all had steak. wine was excellent, service outstanding. The decor is really nice and seating is so comfortable we were inclined to stay on for after-dinner drinks!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.