13436 New Hampshire Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20904Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pollo-mex.com/
- Phone: 3013843784x
- Hours of Operation:
Sun. -Thu. 11:00am - 10:00pm
Fri. - Sat. 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Pollo-Mex
Our Mexican and Latin foods are prepared with the freshest ingredient. Try our salads, soups or tortas, all served with chips and salsa. Our famous taco salad is served in a crispy tortilla shell filled with crisp romaine lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, and beans served with cheese, pico de gallo and sour cream for only $6.95. Our tasty rotisserie chicken is marinated overnight in a delicious blend of Latin herbs and spices and then slowly cooked to perfection. Try a quarter, half or whole chicken with two or four sides. We also grill tender cuts of steak, after it is marinated overnight then slowly cooked on the grill to create our steak and two sizes or solo dish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pollo-Mex reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Gone downhillnopeVIPDined on 8/31/2014We used to love this place. Great food, good prices, close to home. Our meal this night was really disappointing. The rice tasted like it was microwaved and the beans were watered down and bland. My tamales were mushy and my husband's burrito contained bland-tasting beef. Perhaps it was the holiday weekend, but we like our go-to places to be consistent no matter what. We might give this place one more try and if that doesn't work out we'll be crossing it off the list.
- ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014We had not found a good Mexican spot yet and this was it. The service was great and pleasant and the food awesome. It was packed with families and there was a reason for it. I really couldn't say a bad thing about this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatJaneDined on 7/26/2014Pollo Mex was great with our party of 9 on a Saturday night. Service was friendly, and quick, Food delicious and fresh, an all round great evening. thank youSpecial Features:
- The following 25 reviews are from the Pollo-Mex reviews archive.
- Dubious sanitary practiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/2/2014Ordered a margarita which i felt was a watered down drink; sent it back and observed the bartender tasting the drink using a straw, have another employee taste it as well; bartender added liquor to the same drink and waitress was about to bring it back to me when I intervened and told them that I was not going to drink from a shared glass
- Repeat CustomerToniDined on 3/15/2014I have not been disappointed with any of my dining experiences at Pollo Mex. Great food and atmosphere...
- The best Mexican foodMimiDined on 2/14/2014We love pollo mex. The large fajita platter for 39.99 is enough for 5-6 people. Although we've been many times and have always loved the food, I would have preferred something a bit fancier for Valentines Day but the snowy weather wasn't cooperating. I guess the management decided to put more tables in to accommodate the additional diners for the holiday and so you were just jammed in. It was actually hard to get in and out of the restaurant. That being said, they had a lovely Valentines Day dinner and the food is always consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed RegularjtbbkbVIPDined on 1/17/2014This is the first time I have rated Pollo Mex below four or five stars. Food was ok this time around and the Cadillac Margaritas were weak. Our table was right next to the bar which has several bar stools that when occupied pretty much blocked the aisle - every time a staff member or customer walked by we needed to hold our glasses as they bumped the table. We hope this was a one time occurrence since we like the location and menu.Special Features:
- they only get better.JDawgVIPDined on 1/4/2014Reservations are becoming a must as the world lears about them. The Colesville world that is. Expansion cant be far behind.Special Features:
- No fresh food or customer serviceFamulan28VIPDined on 12/20/2013Conveniently, Opentable does not work after 4pm. Out of five times I have made and tried to make reservations, only worked 3 times. It looks like there has been a change in management. Food is not as freshest as it uses to be - their guacamole comes out brown, for example. And the waiters do not do anything when you tell them. Not great experience at all.
- Very tastyChrisinNBDined on 10/8/2013Authentic with quality ingredients. Everybody should go.Special Features:
- Good meal, great priceTaintedDingoDined on 7/11/2013The chicken empanadas were not what I would have called super until I tried them with the sauce - that made the rate. The chicken tamal I had was not the greasy thing most Mexican restaurants sell , but was light and flavorful. Considering I had an appetizer, meal, and a drink for $23 - I'd say this was a bargain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemToniDined on 6/28/2013I had never dined here before and it was a special Occasion. I would highly recommend this restaurant what a welcome surprise, the food was great everything freshly made perfect. Gotta try the fresh Guacamole, drinks were good all good things to say about this place check them out. My husband and I will definitely will go again.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/21/2013The food, the service and the price are ALWAYS right.Special Features:
- Excellent foodFinediner123VIPDined on 6/6/2013Great prompt service. Our server Julian was excellent and very friendly and attentive. will definitely be going back there.Special Features:
- Pollo-Mex is always a great outing!jtbbkbVIPDined on 5/3/2013Restaurant was crowded (Friday evening) but we were seated right away with our reservation. Food was very good (as usual) and the service was excellent. Great place to go in Colesville, and we love the 1/2 pitchers of margaritas!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/15/2013Food and service as good as what I had been told. It is a relatively small place in a shopping center and the tables are very close to one another. The only plus is that this allows them to squeeze more people in on a crowded day to share good food and responsive service. I'll be back often.Special Features:
- Great local spot. Very authenticRichardDined on 4/7/2013Great local spot. Very authentic and consistent. Close to home and service is always excellent.Special Features:
- This establishment is amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/22/2013This establishment is amazing. It's a family business. Every time I had visited the staffs were friendly and they always provided great hospitality. The food serve here is consistently of quality and flavorful. I had tried their crispy taco platter, seafood buritos, fajitas and chicken platter. They were all excellent. And yes I had to tried one of their dessert which was the Tres Leches cake. The cake was very moist and delicious. The ambiance here is warm and inviting. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone because I had an amazing experience each time that I had visited here. Oh yes, they're generous on their chips and salsa too. Love it.Special Features:
- Good mealspzaggerVIPDined on 3/9/2013Our group of eight enjoyed our dinner at Pollo-Mex. Tasty food; friendly, efficient service.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2013Delicious food, a wonderful staff, and super hoursSpecial Features:
- Good overall with one caveat. OnJDawgVIPDined on 2/28/2013Good overall with one caveat. On the special menu they listed mussels, one of our favorites. It promised "a generous serving" of mussels for $9.95 (I believe) The mussels came out and there were 8-10 mussels tops in a small bowl. What's worse is only one of the mussels had 'opened up'. Growing up on the Chesapeake Bay, Bivalves etc that didn't open when you cooked them was not a good sign. I ate the open one and it was tasty enough. I tried to force open a few others and eat them but it was quickly apparent things weren't quite right so I sent them back. Even if it weren't for the dicey nature of the ones I got, I wouldn't order them again due to the extremely small order size. A rare item miss for Pollo Mex.
- My gf and I went on Valentine'snwrust17Dined on 2/14/2013My gf and I went on Valentine's Day. It was packed, and they wouldn't take my LivingSocial deal (which was my fault, but still). I definitely plan to go back, because the food was delicious (and because I plan to use the LS deal for real), but probably not after that, since there was very little space, and we weren't waited on very well by their staff.Special Features:
- Lovely neighborhood gem..great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013My family of four when to Pollo-Mex on valentine's day and as soon as we got to the door we knew it was a bad day to go. The restaurant was so small and the over flow of guest were lined up out the door and down the side walk. We had made reservations and arrive 15 early, only beachside we left the house early thinking we might get lost. We waiting till our actual reservations time. The employees were very nice and helpful. The restaurant decor was very nice just the restaurant is not suited for large size groups or crowds all at once. Great place for a romantic date or weekday family dinner. They do have a small bar area and possibly good happy hours. I love their prices, very reasonable for a family of four. Great place! Must visit!Special Features:
- Worth returning many more timesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Really wonderful local restaurant. Went to dinner on Valentine's Day. The small place was packed, every table was full, and there were people standing in line waiting. Clearly neighborhood folks have learned how delicious the food is. Glad we had reservations! My friend who had never been there before loved his meal (but I can't remember what it was...although I remember what he said over and over again, "Wow, this is great!"Special Features:
- We love this restaurant. It'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2013We love this restaurant. It's our favorite place for any occasion...from regular weekly dinners to special occasions.Special Features:
- Had a great dinner at PolloOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2012Had a great dinner at Pollo Mex Thursday night. The restaurant was quite busy, a very good sign for a location that has seen many restarurants come and go. Waitress was friendly, helpful. The sangria was very good, the mushroom & spinach quesadilla appetizer was excellent, as was the Casuela De Mar, a seafood casserole of scallops, shrimp, salmon, and clams cooked with saffron and coconut milk, chopped green peppers, onions, and tomatoes. The seafood tasted very fresh and the sauce was so good we took home the leftovers. Half chicken with 2 sides was good though the chicken is not as good as Nando's Peri Peri's, yucca and sweet plantains sides were very good, yucca crispy and not greasy and the plantains were meltingly sweet.Special Features:
- This is a nice little vibrantfoodisfunnnDined on 8/20/2012This is a nice little vibrant neighborhood gem. The seervice was a little slow but the food was fantastic. If you're looking for authentic mexican than this is a good place to try.Special Features:
- Tasty but crowded.Warg44Dined on 8/18/2012Great place. Try the beef fajitas and the queso. Good stuff. The only thing wrong with this place is that it's so popular you get crammed in there like sardines. The tables aren't big enough to accomodate.