Sausalito, CA 94965Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://poggiotrattoria.com/
- Phone: 4153327771x
- Hours of Operation:
Cafe Service: Daily: 7:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Peter McNee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer private rooms for 10 to 150 guests.
A word from Poggio
Poggio, from the Italian translation for 'a special hillside place', offers seasonal Italian cuisine. The daily-changing seasonal menu features locally grown ingredients and items from the large display wood-fired rotisserie and grill and wood-roasting oven.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Poggio - Best Restaurants in Sausalito ›
Poggio reviews from OpenTable diners
288 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (155)great for outdoor dining (141)special occasion (129)neighborhood gem (119)great for lunch (95)romantic (82)good for groups (77)notable wine list (73)scenic view (64)great for brunch (50)hot spot (46)vibrant bar scene (36)late-night find (21)kid-friendly (21)Show More
- Good but....lovegreatfoodDined on 9/27/2014I love the atmosphere of the restaurant - the wood burning oven, the energetic vibe, the outdoor dining tables...it reminds me of a restaurant scene from a movie. The Quail dish was really nice, the lamb not that tasty. We really enjoyed the Pinot Noir (6410 I believe). What we didn't like was the service. We had our menus for a good 15-20 minutes before our order was taken. Drinks right away with some bread helps to ease some of that pain, but I had to ask for it AFTER we placed our order so you can see the timeline here. While the kitchen was backed up, something I can understand in a packed restaurant, it would have been nice to have been told that. Friendly conversational service always helps all of these problems but alas...Special Features:
- The Best in Sausalito!JenSonomaVIPDined on 9/26/2014Never disappointed with Poggio, the absolute best restaurant in Sausalito that I return to again and again with business colleagues, family & friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our dinnerDavethedinerVIPDined on 9/25/2014Just visiting sausilito for one night and stopped here - really good food - watermelon salad was excellent and the pasta was some of the best we've hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmberDined on 9/25/2014The overall experience was very nice - Beautiful and romantic ambiance, attentive service and most of the dishes were pretty good. The duck confit salad was the best. However, the portion for the pasta entrée was too small. It came out on a huge plate but just a tiny fist full of pasta. It was not enough even for a small eater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMarinLibrarianDined on 9/23/2014Took out of town guests here and food was great service a little lacking but overall a fabulous meal.Special Features:
- Always Excellent!StellaVIPDined on 9/23/2014The food never fails ~ always first rate! But this time the service was rushed and the restaurant was not full. We ignored our waitress even when she tried to interrupt with a question on our decision making. The only flaw . . .Special Features:
- poor attitude of waiter ruins nightWorldTravelsDined on 9/21/2014We tend to pick a restaurant and stick with it. We discovered Poggio's at the recommendation of the local Inn we were staying at and loved the food, the staff, and the ambiance of Poggio's nestled amongst the shops in Sausalito. The food is made fresh and is outstanding at reasonable pricing. However, for our 4th night, we decided to invite a friend whom we had not seen for over 10 years to dinner. Being a wine enthusiast, he brought his own bottle of wine for us to try. Upon being seated, the waiter eyed the wine, grabbed the bottle quickly to stare at the label for a second, scowled and rushed off, only to give us attitude and try give only curt short responses for the rest of the otherwise enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Good Food Good ServicefoodforthoughtVIPDined on 9/21/2014We enjoyed brunch here but the music they were playing was really annoying...."light" Italian opera or some such nonsense; this needs to change. Good Salumi and Seafood Risotto.Special Features:
- poggioMommaJEatsDined on 9/20/2014We usually love poggio but this saturday night was our 17th anniversary and i was expecting a special night. it was too loud, 3 out of 4 of my forks had bent tines, bread crust was too tough, gnudi were good but our portion was much smaller than table sitting next to us, fig pizza was dissappointing-a little sour. overall a C. sorry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerPWLSFVIPDined on 9/20/2014Took a couple of close friends for their respective birthday dinners here. Grilled octopus, oven baked flat bread, salad from their own garden, sliced lamb entree and coffee over gelato - every dish superior. Nice wine selection- very good without being overly expensive. Attentive, friendly and well informed service. Plus that Sausalito setting!! Combined very very good food, service and setting makes this restaurant a "go to" in Marin County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this roomOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014One of the reasons I enjoy Poggio is their dining room. It feels like Rome to me. It's elegant, and beautifully lit in a warm caramel glow, with the expansive effect of the openness to the street. Good, playful, friendly service. My duck salad was well cooked, with a lovely blend of flavors from the nectarines and lentils.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at PoggiolocksDined on 9/18/2014I lived in Sausalito for a couple of years and dined here often. The food is always good and consistently so. Had lunch with a business associate the other day. He had the salmon entrée and I had the small portion of risotto. He loved his salmon and it looked like it was prepared perfectly. My risotto was good but it was very small and definitely not worth $11. It showed up with the risotto in the bottom of a large bowl and absolutely no garnish. I was disappointed in the size of the dish. It was flavorful but small.Special Features:
- Delicious food.jobirdyDined on 9/16/2014We were there on Tuesday, so we chose to have the Tuesday Dinner, prix fixe. It was great. That night it was antipasto. The best we ever had. Six different items that were all SO good. Then it was veal piccata and polenta. Dessert was zabaglione with berries. Our waitress was so nice and knowledgable. We loved everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kir royaleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The meal was great overall, but we were all super disappointed in your kir royale cocktail. You clearly need to upgrade the champagne for that or make some improvements. It's amazing how such a small thing can impact the overall experience!!Special Features:
- Great food, lousy servicejb2bVIPDined on 9/12/2014If you can ignore the absentee service, you'll enjoy it. The food is outstanding. The service is nonexistent.Special Features:
- OverratedDrummerDined on 9/12/2014Overall food is so so .. Disappointed. Toasted crackers instead of bread? Was tasty but lots of burnt/black spots. Scallops and pepper appetizers good. Our server was great. With a group ... Since most people in groups share, please consider more serving utensils.Special Features:
- Great Experience, Even Better FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014Went for lunch to Poggio, coming from SF. A beautiful drive over the GG Bridge, into Sausalito and forget looking for parking, valet service right in front of the restaurant. Sat outdoors on a wonderful afternoon. Great, attentive service from our waiter. The food was exquisite. From a simple tomato and mozzarella dish to perfectly prepared salmon, everything was just right. The pastas are excellent and dessert is worth leaving some room for.Special Features:
- lunchwithfriendDined on 9/8/2014This is the best Italian restaurant in Marin - in fact, I would choose it over any Italian restaurant in San Francisco and I have been to many of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointingDopeyDined on 9/6/2014I have eaten at Poggio once before and it was very good. This time it was terrible. We ordered the the halibut for 28.00. It was tasteless and totally overcooked, it was so dry the dust could come out of your ears. The men had salmon and that was o.k. so was the corn soup. But overall we shall not recommend this restaurant to anyone except our enemies.
- Impressive - Worth A RevisitMillValleyDinerDined on 9/3/2014I had been to Poggio a few times a year since they opened, mostly business dinners. I always felt that it was a solid and dependable restaurant, but unremarkable. I had not been there for over two years, and was very impressed with the changes made to the drinks and food menu. Our group of 5 were all very pleased with their meals - I personally ordered their porterhouse steak (Bistecca), and I can only compare it to some of the best steaks I have enjoyed at the classic New York steakhouses (without the snotty attitudes). Congrats to the new chef and management - the differences are noticeable and I would recommend anyone who has not been to Poggio for a few years to give it a try.Special Features:
- Great FoodlovesgoodfoodDined on 9/2/2014although we did have any issue with paper wrapping in one of our desserts, the staff was most apologetic, and then not only replaced the one guest's dessert, but comped all our desserts. I really enjoyed Poggio, and would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Annual TraditionporkerDined on 8/31/2014We love coming here after the Sausalito Art Festival - great food, ambiance, and people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poggio LunchFoodieFanDined on 8/30/2014On what is probably one of the busiest weekends of the year in Sausalito, Poggio accommodated our group of eight at noon on 8/30/14 giving us a terrific table, providing us with professional and friendly service, and feeding us outstanding food and drink. We had two small children in the group and the staff made every effort to make them feel welcome. As always, Poggio came through with an excellent fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food buzzBossgruntsVIPDined on 8/28/2014Always inventive and tasty. Never disappoints . Tapas style large and small platesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not happy:(ma56Dined on 8/27/2014It used to be our anniversary place to go for 5 years. Very special tradition to us. Last experience was not so good, food used to be much better. Especially their bread and steaks. Waiting time to get our order was rediculous. Last year it was just ok but we deciced to give it a try this year. To summurize - next year we're going to switch to the other restaurant.Special Features:
- FranVIPDined on 8/27/2014Poggio never disappoints but dining on the sidewalk on a gorgeous summer day is as good as going to Italy! We had the BEST waitress, Claudia: in her service, recommendations and sense of humor!! We were three chatty ladies celebrating a birthday and she made the celebration perfect! Thank you, Claudia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent at every level.SeaclifffanDined on 8/27/2014This was my third visit in three months and it is rapidly becoming a favorite. The service is friendly and professional. The food is beautifully presented and delicious. I appreciate they have an appetizer size for pasta's so I can order an appetizer and have pasta and still not feel like I am overeating. Each time I've brought clients here and find the room quiet enough for a serious conversation. I plan to come back with my husband and my kids because they are foodies and will be sure to enjoy it. Even though it is in a tourist area, it's a place with a big local following.Special Features:
- Service isn't a problemjlchaoDined on 8/26/2014I'd eaten at Poggio and wanted to eat there again for my birthday but after reading the reviews about their service I hesitated. My family and I went anyway and had their Tuesday Prix priced menu.My children chose items off the menu. All the food was delicious. My son even claimed his appetizer of octopus was the best dish he's ever had! (and he's quite the foody). Because we were aware of the comments of slow serice we indicated to the waiter when we wanted things and it was graciously delivered. So let them know if you're in a hurry or want more attention..it was a dinner well worth going for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunch5starVIPDined on 8/25/2014I took my husband here to celebrate his birthday. We had a nice table facing the windows. Our waiter was pleasant, however, he had too many tables to service. The appetizers we ordered were excellent. My husband ordered a full portion pasta dish and I ordered the smaller portion. When our entrees arrived, we were both served the smaller portion. After I flagged down our waiter, he said the kitchen had made an error and offered to correct it. My husband declined, but was sorry he didn't ask it to be corrected. Dessert was delicious and coffee freshly made. We love lunch here, but won't go on a Monday again as the staff is spread too thin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen ShakeupHilltopDined on 8/24/2014Ordered Meat Loaf which arrived COLD and had to be sent back. Salmon dish arrived and was NOT cooked through. Food server had to be reminded to get our food. Service slow. Will never go back and felt completely let down.
- Anniversary dinner 32WalterDined on 8/23/2014Very nice overall, everything was wonderful. Would come back next time in town.Special Features:
- Inconsistent EverythingBroadwayFanVIPDined on 8/23/2014Used to be a favorite place, but the service has become so spotty and this dinner was one of the bad experiences: twice we were served another table's orders, had to ask for more water several times, etc. Just felt like they were not prepared to actually have full tables. The beet salad was a hit, though.Special Features:
- CPMcDined on 8/23/2014Food was great as usual... Service was bad, usually is spot on, must have been a bad day as she seemed experienced, just ignored us.Special Features:
- Great Italian foodlovefoodDined on 8/23/2014It is an authentic Italian restaurant with not overcooked pasta. Poggio utilizes fresh ingredients that make a real difference in the taste experience and the past is home made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 75 BirthdayDickEatsDined on 8/22/2014Birthday dinner, not so good. odd staffing, inconsistent service between servers, odd menu, odd plating, good taste, restaurant seems to succeed by location, not by service or food merit. Much room for improvements, complacent habits hold this eatery hostage from the real world of excellent food prep and serviceSpecial Features:
- Delicious4foodiesDined on 8/21/2014Four of us ordered several different things and they were all wonderful...the food is without a doubt some of the finest in the bay area...Special Features:
- retiredDined on 8/21/2014The gnudi was fabulous and the service was very good. Lovely restaurant.Special Features:
- Terrible serviceMarinfamilyDined on 8/19/2014We went to Poggio for our daughter's 18th birthday. We booked an early school night reservation (6:45), and we expected to be home and in bed by 10:00 after the kids had finished their homework. But the dinner dragged out to well over 3 hours, with abysmally slow service. They didn't take our order for an entire hour after we sat down. It took over 30 minutes to get even our drink orders, which came in three different batches. The food was good, but we were so tired by the time that it arrived that it was hard to enjoy it. In addition, we were given the wrong wine, and our "bill" when delivered, was actually a signed check from someone else in the restaurant. A very disappointing evening for what should have been a special occasion.
- Great TimeSF94109VIPDined on 8/15/2014Celebrated a friends birthday there. The Food was very good, service and atmosphere all good. Would recommend and go back.Special Features:
- A great find in Sausalitomangezbien3VIPDined on 8/15/2014The service and ambiance were great and so was the food, with unfortunately the exception of the halibut that was quite bland. It needed some sauce or something to give it a little pizazz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.