Sausalito, CA 94965Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://poggiotrattoria.com/
- Phone: 4153327771x
- Hours of Operation:
Cafe Service: Daily: 7:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Peter McNee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer private rooms for 10 to 150 guests.
A word from Poggio
Poggio, from the Italian translation for 'a special hillside place', offers seasonal Italian cuisine. The daily-changing seasonal menu features locally grown ingredients and items from the large display wood-fired rotisserie and grill and wood-roasting oven.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Poggio - Best Restaurants in Sausalito ›
Poggio reviews from OpenTable diners
273 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (152)great for outdoor dining (142)special occasion (129)neighborhood gem (103)great for lunch (94)romantic (90)notable wine list (77)good for groups (66)scenic view (66)great for brunch (61)vibrant bar scene (41)hot spot (40)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (19)Show More
- Service isn't a problemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014I'd eaten at Poggio and wanted to eat there again for my birthday but after reading the reviews about their service I hesitated. My family and I went anyway and had their Tuesday Prix priced menu.My children chose items off the menu. All the food was delicious. My son even claimed his appetizer of octopus was the best dish he's ever had! (and he's quite the foody). Because we were aware of the comments of slow serice we indicated to the waiter when we wanted things and it was graciously delivered. So let them know if you're in a hurry or want more attention..it was a dinner well worth going for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen ShakeupOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/24/2014Ordered Meat Loaf which arrived COLD and had to be sent back. Salmon dish arrived and was NOT cooked through. Food server had to be reminded to get our food. Service slow. Will never go back and felt completely let down.
- Anniversary dinner 32WalterDined on 8/23/2014Very nice overall, everything was wonderful. Would come back next time in town.Special Features:
- Inconsistent EverythingBroadwayFanVIPDined on 8/23/2014Used to be a favorite place, but the service has become so spotty and this dinner was one of the bad experiences: twice we were served another table's orders, had to ask for more water several times, etc. Just felt like they were not prepared to actually have full tables. The beet salad was a hit, though.Special Features:
- Great Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014It is an authentic Italian restaurant with not overcooked pasta. Poggio utilizes fresh ingredients that make a real difference in the taste experience and the past is home made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 75 BirthdayDickEatsDined on 8/22/2014Birthday dinner, not so good. odd staffing, inconsistent service between servers, odd menu, odd plating, good taste, restaurant seems to succeed by location, not by service or food merit. Much room for improvements, complacent habits hold this eatery hostage from the real world of excellent food prep and serviceSpecial Features:
- Delicious4foodiesDined on 8/21/2014Four of us ordered several different things and they were all wonderful...the food is without a doubt some of the finest in the bay area...Special Features:
- retiredDined on 8/21/2014The gnudi was fabulous and the service was very good. Lovely restaurant.Special Features:
- Terrible serviceMarinfamilyDined on 8/19/2014We went to Poggio for our daughter's 18th birthday. We booked an early school night reservation (6:45), and we expected to be home and in bed by 10:00 after the kids had finished their homework. But the dinner dragged out to well over 3 hours, with abysmally slow service. They didn't take our order for an entire hour after we sat down. It took over 30 minutes to get even our drink orders, which came in three different batches. The food was good, but we were so tired by the time that it arrived that it was hard to enjoy it. In addition, we were given the wrong wine, and our "bill" when delivered, was actually a signed check from someone else in the restaurant. A very disappointing evening for what should have been a special occasion.
- Great TimeSF94109VIPDined on 8/15/2014Celebrated a friends birthday there. The Food was very good, service and atmosphere all good. Would recommend and go back.Special Features:
- A great find in Sausalitomangezbien3VIPDined on 8/15/2014The service and ambiance were great and so was the food, with unfortunately the exception of the halibut that was quite bland. It needed some sauce or something to give it a little pizazz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food needs workDisappointedVIPDined on 8/15/2014The salads and appetizers were wonderful. The halibut was excellent. Pastas have never been that great and needs a lot of work.The steak was cooked perfectly, but it lacked flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something different for a businesssamesDined on 8/13/2014Especially if you have out-of-town clients take them to a rare Sausalito treat! Poogio fits the bill and delivers. Great courses to share or enjoy on your own.Special Features:
- Disappointing eveningDenMiloDined on 8/11/2014We have been to Poggio several times and consider it one of our places for a special night out. I took my two college aged daughters for night to just have a nice evening together. Normally, I have found the service to be both professional and attentive. However, our waiter was anything but attentive. We were largely ignored and had long lapses of time where we did not get any attention. After waiting a long time to place our dessert order, the waiter returned to tell us he had forgotten the order and asked to be reminded. Overall, very disappointing to the point that I added a note on my bill indicating the poor service. In addition, the pork chop that I ordered medium was overcooked and dry. It was well flavored, but dry.
- Poor serviceca190VIPDined on 8/11/2014Have eaten here many times, food always good but service is going down hill. This last time was terrible. Will think twice before coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BleeDined on 8/10/2014My friends and I really enjoy eating at Poggio. It is a great all around lunch or dinner spot with a wonderful view and a great people watching location. The food is always excellent and varied. We go there about 5 times a year, mostly for dinner, and we've just discovered the Margarita pizza with a number of simple add-ons. Best pizza in Marin and it reheats beautifully. The crust is phenominal and the ingredients are always pristine, fresh and seasoned well. The service is spot on and they are always happy to redo a dish if the dinner would like it less spicy, in our case the tuna crudo, or the meat needs to be either more well done - or less done. Poggio is very accomodating and the waitstaff remembers return customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We probably won't go backOurspecial26thDined on 8/10/2014The hostess was excellent. Things got off to a great start. Waiter greeted us but was quite indifferent to our questions; we were his burden. The appetizer of tomatoes and cheese was small but good. Drinks were overpriced and not memorable. Of the entrees we ordered, pastas were mushy and doughy not at all al dente. It was a challenge to find clams but there were lots of shells and garlic. The halibut entree was a neatly stacked, small pile of overcooked vegetables and a dry piece of fIsh. It's a shame that the beautiful fish had gave its life only to be wasted in this way. Dessert, tirra misou, was at best average. Not the experience we expected for celebrating two birthdays. We did get one candle indifferently stuck in the dessert.
- birthday lunch for 6CookinBobsDined on 8/10/2014Friendly, efficient, knowledgable, professional server and staff. Authentic Italian cuisine is excellent. The tomato soup tasted like they just picked them, the salmon was super fresh and perfectly cooked. The tiramisu and the complimentary birthday lemon desserts were heavenly. We were not rushed at all but were attended to whenever we needed something with no waiting. We'll definitely return and highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Sausalito's BestLikeToDineOutDined on 8/9/2014Considering the restaurant is in the middle of the tourist traffic area in Sausalito, you would not know it by the food! Touristy areas are known for marginal food and this is definitely not. Both locals and tourists should eat here and be pleasantly surprised by the quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoggioOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014The pasta was amazing. The porkchop and polenta had absolutely NO FLAVOR. At the price, I really should have returned the food.
- So glad we found this!girlsnightoutDined on 8/8/2014We loved our meals. At the end of a two week vacation, this was our best meal. We both had pasta dishes and they were phenomenal. The waitress was very knowledgable and helped us select delicious meals. We had an 845 reservation but showed up really early. They sat us without question. Fabulous experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHappy2helpDined on 8/7/2014Despite charming, eager waitress food selections not at all memorable ( braised scallops and pasta special ) served late and had to be sent back ( barely warm ). Salads pedestrian ( beets with frizzy lettuce and tired goat cheese ). Reminiscent of a tourist walk- by and not the highly rated charming venue we had been led to believe was competitive to Mill Valley or other local Italian bistros. Sadly, it was not and the highly touted new kitchen needs some healthy self inspection.
- Great placeSFfoodloverVIPDined on 8/7/2014Every thing we had was delicious. Went out of their way to offer and prepare a dish with no salt as a special request. Very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mickeyDined on 8/6/2014i THOUGHT this would be a good place for a "special occasion" and even told the restaurant before we came that it was a special birthday. the staff did nothing. no dessert or anything and by then it was too late to get up and go up front and ask for something. This place started out well, but the 1/2 empty space says it all. No one in town ever mentions going there anymore...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RitaVIPDined on 8/6/2014Poggio is great. Wonderful setting in Sausalito; charming; very Italian feel to it. Excellent food and service.Special Features:
- Very very sloooo serviceFrugalFoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014We dine regularly at Poggio and the service is usually good. Every restaurant can have a bad day and we just encountered a dilly last Tuesday night. Not only was the service slow (It took over two hours; we have usually finished a similar meal in about an hour.), but it was inattentive and little effort was made by the server to explain or apologize. A bit of forthrightness about problems in the kitchen would have gone a long way to helping us understand and tolerate the delays.Special Features:
- Dipsea99VIPDined on 8/3/2014We started with a chicken liver crostini that was delicious. The two pastas we shared ( pork ragu and agnolotti) were tasty and perfect and the halibut was nicely prepared. The kitchen and the service brought their "A" game to our Sunday evening dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialDined on 8/2/2014The food here is always changing and superb. It is my first choice for special occasions.Special Features:
- TerryTerryDined on 8/2/2014Always love your food , service and atmosphere. Great with groups of families and friends.Special Features:
- Go for the food not the serviceBradsterDined on 8/2/2014The food was amazing. The service was lacking. Hostess came out from the kitchen eating to greet us. A dirty plate from our first course wasn't cleared until they cleared our mains. Dirty glasses also not collected.Special Features:
- GlendaGlendaDined on 8/2/2014I am a fan of yours. I highly recommend this restaurant to all my friends. One of my very favorites.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014Poggio brings me back to Italy, with its outdoor seating with the walk-thru doorways/windows made of wood just like many Italian restaurants. Also the menu was typical. But it's the food that keeps me coming back. I'd suggest not coming by car because I had to go 3 times to add more time. The time went very fast so I must have been having a good time.Special Features:
- RiverQVIPDined on 7/29/2014Love the specials on Tuesday night!! The Antipasti is delicious and the fish cooked to perfection. Only thing they should include a dessert for each person, not have a shared dessert
- Off Night at PoggioLRinMarinVIPDined on 7/29/2014We have been coming recently for the Tuesday Suppers and have enjoyed them this spring/summer. This night however the staff seemed disorganized, brought the wrong wines and we didn't get all of the appetizers listed on the menu. Service was slow, which is not always bad, but it was not up to the quality we have enjoyed in the past. I think it was just an off night and I hope the next time things are back to normal because Poggio usually has delicious food and great service!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/28/2014Just don't order the pasta! Stick with the appetizers and you'll be fine (the 3 we ordered were beautifully presented and delicious), but it's pretty sad when an Italian restaurant can't serve up a decent carbonara and this one was dry and tasteless. The risotto wasn't anything to rave about either.
- Birthday LunchenjoythemealDined on 7/28/2014Shared a birthday lunch with a friend recently, and it was a good meal. However, we had a reservation and had to wait for the hostess to seat us...about a 5 minute wait. Not bad but not very punctual. And our waiter was right at our table as soon as we were seated, asking us what we'd like to drink, but we hadn't even had time to sit for a minute before he pounced. Then we had trouble getting his attention for the entire rest of the meal. I enjoyed the food there, but the service wasn't what I'd expected.Special Features:
- FantasticDaveVIPDined on 7/27/2014The service w as outstsnding and so was our meal. The tomatoes and burrata salad were fresh and flavorful nd the duck ragut pasta was out of this world . Our Polla was exceptional. Kudos to Poggio for a delightful dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Excellent dining!NonnaBDined on 7/27/2014a delightful dinner experience for grandmother (me) and grandson. Great, great waiter - Marco? Love the half portion availability.Special Features:
- allonsyDined on 7/27/2014Great appetizers! Personable service. My shellfish roe pasta with head on shrimp was good, but was served lukewarm not temperature hot, so was the radiatori with duck ragu. The tiramisu was okay. All in all okay dining experience.Special Features:
- Chaotic Poggio DinnerFoodieFanDined on 7/26/2014Poggio is a long-time favorite of ours and will remain so. However, dinner at 6:30 pm on a Saturday evening in July proved to be a challenge for everyone. Sausalito was crowded with hundreds of tourists milling about, many of whom spilled over into the restaurant hoping to have dinner, but most were turned away unless they had a reservation. The whole experience was chaotic from start to finish, but the food was tasty, the drinks were good, and the service was excellent considering the hubbub surrounding us. We won't be having dinner at Poggio on a Saturday evening at 6:30 pm anytime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.