Sausalito, CA 94965Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://poggiotrattoria.com/
- Phone: (415) 332-7771
- Hours of Operation:
Cafe Service: Daily: 7:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Peter McNee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer private rooms for 10 to 150 guests.
A word from Poggio
Poggio, from the Italian translation for 'a special hillside place', offers seasonal Italian cuisine. The daily-changing seasonal menu features locally grown ingredients and items from the large display wood-fired rotisserie and grill and wood-roasting oven.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Poggio - Best Restaurants in Sausalito ›
Poggio reviews from OpenTable diners
273 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (147)great for outdoor dining (128)special occasion (127)neighborhood gem (118)romantic (86)great for lunch (86)good for groups (79)notable wine list (73)scenic view (59)hot spot (47)great for brunch (45)vibrant bar scene (34)late-night find (21)kid-friendly (16)Show More
- Sausalito Dining SpotBobmanDined on 11/19/2014We had an enjoyable dinner, well prepared and well attended by a relatively new wait person. Corkage fee was $20, at least $5 too much over other restaurants like this one. Parking in Sausalito requires paying meters until 10 PM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday specials-don't miss iteagleeyeVIPDined on 11/18/2014We have gone twice now to Poggio's on Tuesday night for their special dinner-a deal at $30. Four interesting courses arrived quickly, items we might not have ordered by thoroughly enjoyed. The main course of Veal Saltimbocca was very yummy and a generous portion to boot. Dessert was a pumpkin tart with a dollop of whipped cream. Delicious! We enjoyed this dinner with one of their bottles of Italian wine, of which they have an extensive collection. We were recommended a red from Sardinia which we loved, and only $40! We are targeting another Tuesday in December when the menu changes (the special is the same all month long), and this time we are coming back with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Myreview!Foodreview1Dined on 11/16/2014two of the truffle dishes were cold, the waiter tried to add two glasses of wine to our bill that we did not orderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service and foodFoodreview1Dined on 11/15/2014We had 3 truffle dishes 2 of them were cold. The waiter screwed the bill up and tried to add two glasses of wine that we did not order .we were there the night before and everthing was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An easy choicecalliope23Dined on 11/12/2014Consistently great Italian cuisine. Can usually get a table even last minute. Wonderful leather booths throughout. Usually great wait staff eager to please. An Italian bar tender who is delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another amazing experience!FloDVIPDined on 11/11/2014We had a wonderful experience at Poggio: amazing food, nice decor, great service. Just loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service were both fabulous.RennieMDined on 11/11/2014Had 3 diners on the day we visited Sausalito and everyone loved their food. The wait staff was natilly dressed and they were very efficient and helpful. Will go back as soon as we have an excuse to go back to Sausalito.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatLetsgoGiantsDined on 11/10/2014First and foremost, the food was very good and certainly met expectations. My overall impression suffers more due to the spotty service and ambiance. Our server was certainly personable, helpful, and gracious. However, he missed on certain basic aspects of good service. The bottle of wine we ordered was not presented to me prior to opening, he failed to bring Parmesan when we asked, and he did not return to the table to refresh our wine glasses, leaving us to do the pours. Minor points perhaps, but bothersome. With regards to the atmosphere, the decor is a bit pretentious, stale, maybe old-fashioned. I've been to Michelin starred restaurants with a more friendly atmosphere. But, good overall, we'll be back, and would recommend to friends.I would recommend this to a friend.
- California GirlCaliforniagirlDined on 11/8/2014The food was great, atmosphere fun and busy. Kudos to the hostess for fitting us in at a later time than originally booked through open table. Only downside, the waitress was a bit busy, so it took some time to get a drink. This wasn't her fault, it seemed like her tables hit all at once. Management eventually noticed and jumped in to help. Good experience. Definitely book ahead of time on the weekend.Special Features:
- Food is bland!!Tyler8Dined on 11/7/2014Food is kinda bland..Brussell sprout I ordered is so dry and Pancetta is hard to chew.The halibut is tasteless I have to mix it with the sauce so it will taste better. I make reservation because It has a good review from KQED/Cheqplease. But now I think I have to disagree with them. Food taste is important to me though it has a good ambiance.Special Features:
- Always great!FranVIPDined on 11/6/2014We love bringing our friends and visitors as it is such a reliable lovely spot! Our wait person, Claudia is fabulous! Second time she has waited on us; we shall ask for her again next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sausalito Gem!PollyDadVIPDined on 10/31/2014Poggio hits on every note. From precisely honoring reservations, to the amazing bartender Tony, to food that is a revelation. Poggio consistently demonstrates flavors and aromas that are so far removed from pasta and red sauce that one has to return time and time again to experience it all. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- ForgottenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/30/2014Waiter greeted us after we were sited. After 50 min we realized we had not order or even received a water. We finally had to wave someone down. He challenged us on how long we had been waiting, "Impossible!" Then where's the waiter. The took our order and from then on the manager looked after us.Special Features:
- Love this placepeteDined on 10/26/2014My wife and I try to hit this place whenever we're in the Bay Area. It never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Service was very slow sat at the table for a long time before we were even noticedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and white trufflesJeroboamVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had another great dinner at Poggio. The $20/bottle wine list is an incredible deal and allowed us to splurge on white truffles with mezzaluna and spot prawn crudo. A wonderful evening. Thank you,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Place!EastBayDinerDined on 10/25/2014This was the fourth time I have eaten at Poggio's and it was as good this time as it was the first three! I took some out of town guests there to celebrate a 70th birthday. They are still sending me thank yous! Fantastic service, outstanding menu, incredibly good food, and the ambiance is perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food!LizToddVIPDined on 10/25/2014The food here is amazing. Everything we had from the seafood to the pizza was really outstanding. The wait staff, or the person assigned to us, was terrible though. She returned in generic fashion to ask how everything was every 15 minutes, and twice we had to tell her that it wasn't so good since our guest didn't get his meal (and we did), and the second time no coffee that was requested several times. Throughout when we asked her to pour the wine for everyone, she poured one glass and then walked off - away from a table of four! Not sure where her head was at that night, but we tried not to let it take away from the fabulous food. We'll try again another time and get a different server I'm hoping.Special Features:
- NorCaleatsVIPDined on 10/24/2014We dine regularly at Poggio, but our last visit wasn't up to par. On past visits we were offered either still or sparkling water, but this time we were not asked. Our server was charming but seemed to be overworked or disinterested. Fresh ground pepper was never offered for the salads and we weren't able to catch anyone's attention to get a couple grinds. The waiter never checked back after our meals were delivered and although we would not complain, the halibut special was slightly overcooked and the always wonderful chicken was really salty...and I like salt. Hopefully this was just an off night, because Poggio has always been a go-to spot for us. On a plus side, we liked the 20 wines for $20 deal that they were running.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurant in MarinMarinFoodLoverVIPDined on 10/24/2014When we want a delightful meal, we head to Poggio. The delicious food, professional service and inviting ambiance make for an enjoyable dinner experience. You won't be disappointed.
- Disappointingkp2sonomaDined on 10/24/2014We were a party of 3. We started with a grilled artichoke which was outstanding! Two of us ordered the risotto with mushroom which arrived undercooked and without a sign of a mushroom. The third person ordered a combined plate of 3 of the Contorni. The vegetables arrived on a plate and seemingly had been steamed instead of prepared as noted on the menu. She sent these back and ordered a risotto. This arrived 15 minutes later, better cooked and with a smattering of mushrooms. There was no apology or grace in this transaction. It was done as if an affront and begrudgingly. This was to have been a special occasion, a trip down memory lane of past, wonderful times at Poggio. It, sadly, did not meet the former standard.
- Top of the list in marin countyHappy2eatDined on 10/23/2014Always feel like we are really stepping out when we step into Poggio. Never know what special they are running on food or wine. This time was 20 wine from the 20 regions in Italy for $20. AwesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best of BridgewaycatsnoutDined on 10/20/2014We have tried several restaurants along the main drag of Sausalito and this is our favorite.Special Features:
- Always a winnergoodbobVIPDined on 10/19/2014Have never been let down - really appreciated the specials on Italian wines - get incentive to try something differentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California GirlCaliforniagirlDined on 10/14/2014I haven't been to Poggio in a while, and I'm glad I came back. The moment we walked in the door, everyone was welcoming and friendly. The food was great and service outstanding. I had friends visiting from the East Coast and it was one of their 50th birthday, Poggio made the whole evening special - this restaurant is definitely worth a visit the next time you're in Sausalito.Special Features:
- Escape to Italy for an afternoonBruceVIPDined on 10/13/2014Reserve an outside table for lunch, and enjoy an afternoon like you were in Portofino, or somewhere on the Italian coastline. The gem lettuce salad and burrata appetizer were excellent but the highlight for me was the ribeye steak, which is large enough for two to share, along with a side of spinaci or arugala. Add a nice bottle of wine for only $20 selected from their list of regional specialties, and you have the makings of a perfect afternoon.Special Features:
- Poggio: not badBerto41Dined on 10/10/2014Dined here recently with a companion. Food was ok, although the size of the smaller of the two sizes of pasta dish were skimpy. Took quite a while between our starter and entree, about 20 min. The fish was good, but came with nada. Wines by the glass were mediocre. Whole wheat bread was excellent, served w/ butter instead of olive oil. All in all, ok but nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Best meal ever, & they're all greatPurpleDaffodilVIPDined on 10/8/2014This chef ROCKS!! I am a regular at Poggio, and my husband and I always have excellent food there. But on Wednesday night when I dined there with a friend, our dinners were both exceptional, even as Poggio meals go. Before my friend arrived, I was seated at the bar for about 15 minutes and started chatting with a nice man from Tokyo who also appeared to be a regular. He recommended the leg of lamb. My friend ordered it, and I had bites. It was fantastic! I had the seared day boat scallops on a bed of corn, which was sweet and delicious. Both dishes were cooked perfectly--timed just right. Probably some of the best lamb and scallops I've ever eaten--and I've eaten a lot!Special Features:
- always a winnermariniteDined on 10/8/2014It's reliably good, interesting, and attractive, but it's not boring - there's seasonal variety and a kind of Italian cooking that goes far beyond the stereotypical. The wait staff is professional and pleasant. I bring local and out of town guests there frequently for lunch or dinner and it never disappoints. A personal favorite: a wonderful panna cotta, the slight variations reflecting the seasons, for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies do lunch at PoggioTamgalDined on 10/8/2014Began out meal with a LemonDrop-refreshing. We ordered several appetizers to share. The burrata, the meatballs-very tender and delicious sauce. And the procuitto with Parmesan shavings very suttle and flavorful. Dessert was an Italian version of a pot de cream-silky with chocolate, hazelnuts and amaretto. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoggioOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Poor. Long delays. Food ordinary. Waitress inefficient. Will not return.
- DisappointedNapaGuyVIPDined on 10/5/2014We've been here many times as the menu has interesting selections. This time was terrible, they must have thought we were tourists which are so plentiful in Sasalito. The service was none existent and the food bland, cold...
- Excellent food, excellent serviceCaleighDined on 10/4/2014Poggio is one of my favorites -- dependably excellent food and wonderful, unobtrusive service. Last weekend, since the evening was still warm, we had dinner outside for the first time in years, which only enhanced the experience. I had the local salmon, which was undercooked to perfection -- still juicy and perfectly seasoned. My husband had the seared halibut, which was also cooked perfectly. We also shared scallops to start and brussels sprouts as a side -- both delicious! I want to add that our reservation was for 7:30 pm on an extremely busy Saturday. We arrived a few minutes late and were seated immediately, and at an outside table at our request. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great mealEatout57Dined on 10/3/2014Had a light lunch after 1 pm. Our server was "out to lunch" himself. After a somewhat bizarre way of serving wine by the glass, first pouring from the bottle into a small carafe which he seemed to be exact in measuring he the left it for us to pour into the glass. Twice he asked if we wanted bread which we declined, it showed up anyway. After saying we needed a minute to decide what we wanted. He disappeared for 20 minutes. I finally had to flag him down. We ordered appetizer, salad, and a main to split. 2 out 3 plates arrived. By this time I wasn't interested in asking him of the appetizer as he was nowhere to seen, he had a about 2 other tables he was busy with. Prior to this it had a very good experience with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good for the price!MommyWTGODined on 10/2/2014Went there to celebrate my birthday. Food was great except the grilled calamari was a little bit burnt and had that terrible burnt taste. Their Duck leg confit is good!! It's a must try! Crispy skin & tender meat! Yummy!! If you like to try something different then try the squid ink pasta. I thought it was delicious! My husband said it's a bit too greasy. Their pizza was really good too! We sat outdoor and it's more casual vs. sitting indoor is more formal. I love the fact that Poggio offer large portion & small portion. That way we can order more items & try different things! Would love to go there again! Price is very reasonable! FYI, there are a lot of street parking! Don't waste your money to valet! The neighborhood is super safe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedB8985Dined on 10/2/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our evening, took ferry from San Francisco and had time to wander around Sausalito. Restaurant easy to find and food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local fresh excellently preparedSarahVIPDined on 9/30/2014Poggio is a longtime favorite of our family. The food quality is always excellent and the ambiance warm and embracing and at the same time its uplifting. They bring the best of Italy to us in Marin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedBarauderieDined on 9/29/2014Very good food and wines by the glass. The squid/belly pork starter was really well cooked as was the seafood risotto although the larger portion was just too much for me. The cauliflower soup was a bit bland for my wife's taste and her pasta dish a little heavy on the pesto but overall it was fine. Wines were good quality and good value. Service from Deborah was great, friendly and professional. Overall, a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Good but....lovegreatfoodDined on 9/27/2014I love the atmosphere of the restaurant - the wood burning oven, the energetic vibe, the outdoor dining tables...it reminds me of a restaurant scene from a movie. The Quail dish was really nice, the lamb not that tasty. We really enjoyed the Pinot Noir (6410 I believe). What we didn't like was the service. We had our menus for a good 15-20 minutes before our order was taken. Drinks right away with some bread helps to ease some of that pain, but I had to ask for it AFTER we placed our order so you can see the timeline here. While the kitchen was backed up, something I can understand in a packed restaurant, it would have been nice to have been told that. Friendly conversational service always helps all of these problems but alas...Special Features:
- The Best in Sausalito!JenSonomaVIPDined on 9/26/2014Never disappointed with Poggio, the absolute best restaurant in Sausalito that I return to again and again with business colleagues, family & friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.