Sausalito, CA 94965Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://poggiotrattoria.com/
- Phone: 4153327771x
- Hours of Operation:
Cafe Service: Daily: 7:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Peter McNee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer private rooms for 10 to 150 guests.
A word from Poggio
Poggio, from the Italian translation for 'a special hillside place', offers seasonal Italian cuisine. The daily-changing seasonal menu features locally grown ingredients and items from the large display wood-fired rotisserie and grill and wood-roasting oven.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Poggio - Best Restaurants in Sausalito ›
Poggio reviews from OpenTable diners
285 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (153)great for outdoor dining (140)special occasion (128)neighborhood gem (112)great for lunch (97)romantic (85)good for groups (76)notable wine list (76)scenic view (67)great for brunch (54)hot spot (41)vibrant bar scene (36)kid-friendly (24)late-night find (19)Show More
- kir royaleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The meal was great overall, but we were all super disappointed in your kir royale cocktail. You clearly need to upgrade the champagne for that or make some improvements. It's amazing how such a small thing can impact the overall experience!!Special Features:
- OverratedDrummerDined on 9/12/2014Overall food is so so .. Disappointed. Toasted crackers instead of bread? Was tasty but lots of burnt/black spots. Scallops and pepper appetizers good. Our server was great. With a group ... Since most people in groups share, please consider more serving utensils.Special Features:
- Great Experience, Even Better FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014Went for lunch to Poggio, coming from SF. A beautiful drive over the GG Bridge, into Sausalito and forget looking for parking, valet service right in front of the restaurant. Sat outdoors on a wonderful afternoon. Great, attentive service from our waiter. The food was exquisite. From a simple tomato and mozzarella dish to perfectly prepared salmon, everything was just right. The pastas are excellent and dessert is worth leaving some room for.Special Features:
- lunchwithfriendDined on 9/8/2014This is the best Italian restaurant in Marin - in fact, I would choose it over any Italian restaurant in San Francisco and I have been to many of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointingDopeyDined on 9/6/2014I have eaten at Poggio once before and it was very good. This time it was terrible. We ordered the the halibut for 28.00. It was tasteless and totally overcooked, it was so dry the dust could come out of your ears. The men had salmon and that was o.k. so was the corn soup. But overall we shall not recommend this restaurant to anyone except our enemies.
- Impressive - Worth A RevisitMillValleyDinerDined on 9/3/2014I had been to Poggio a few times a year since they opened, mostly business dinners. I always felt that it was a solid and dependable restaurant, but unremarkable. I had not been there for over two years, and was very impressed with the changes made to the drinks and food menu. Our group of 5 were all very pleased with their meals - I personally ordered their porterhouse steak (Bistecca), and I can only compare it to some of the best steaks I have enjoyed at the classic New York steakhouses (without the snotty attitudes). Congrats to the new chef and management - the differences are noticeable and I would recommend anyone who has not been to Poggio for a few years to give it a try.Special Features:
- Great FoodlovesgoodfoodDined on 9/2/2014although we did have any issue with paper wrapping in one of our desserts, the staff was most apologetic, and then not only replaced the one guest's dessert, but comped all our desserts. I really enjoyed Poggio, and would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Annual TraditionporkerDined on 8/31/2014We love coming here after the Sausalito Art Festival - great food, ambiance, and people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poggio LunchFoodieFanDined on 8/30/2014On what is probably one of the busiest weekends of the year in Sausalito, Poggio accommodated our group of eight at noon on 8/30/14 giving us a terrific table, providing us with professional and friendly service, and feeding us outstanding food and drink. We had two small children in the group and the staff made every effort to make them feel welcome. As always, Poggio came through with an excellent fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food buzzBossgruntsVIPDined on 8/28/2014Always inventive and tasty. Never disappoints . Tapas style large and small platesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not happy:(ma56Dined on 8/27/2014It used to be our anniversary place to go for 5 years. Very special tradition to us. Last experience was not so good, food used to be much better. Especially their bread and steaks. Waiting time to get our order was rediculous. Last year it was just ok but we deciced to give it a try this year. To summurize - next year we're going to switch to the other restaurant.Special Features:
- FranVIPDined on 8/27/2014Poggio never disappoints but dining on the sidewalk on a gorgeous summer day is as good as going to Italy! We had the BEST waitress, Claudia: in her service, recommendations and sense of humor!! We were three chatty ladies celebrating a birthday and she made the celebration perfect! Thank you, Claudia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent at every level.SeaclifffanDined on 8/27/2014This was my third visit in three months and it is rapidly becoming a favorite. The service is friendly and professional. The food is beautifully presented and delicious. I appreciate they have an appetizer size for pasta's so I can order an appetizer and have pasta and still not feel like I am overeating. Each time I've brought clients here and find the room quiet enough for a serious conversation. I plan to come back with my husband and my kids because they are foodies and will be sure to enjoy it. Even though it is in a tourist area, it's a place with a big local following.Special Features:
- Service isn't a problemjlchaoDined on 8/26/2014I'd eaten at Poggio and wanted to eat there again for my birthday but after reading the reviews about their service I hesitated. My family and I went anyway and had their Tuesday Prix priced menu.My children chose items off the menu. All the food was delicious. My son even claimed his appetizer of octopus was the best dish he's ever had! (and he's quite the foody). Because we were aware of the comments of slow serice we indicated to the waiter when we wanted things and it was graciously delivered. So let them know if you're in a hurry or want more attention..it was a dinner well worth going for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunch5starVIPDined on 8/25/2014I took my husband here to celebrate his birthday. We had a nice table facing the windows. Our waiter was pleasant, however, he had too many tables to service. The appetizers we ordered were excellent. My husband ordered a full portion pasta dish and I ordered the smaller portion. When our entrees arrived, we were both served the smaller portion. After I flagged down our waiter, he said the kitchen had made an error and offered to correct it. My husband declined, but was sorry he didn't ask it to be corrected. Dessert was delicious and coffee freshly made. We love lunch here, but won't go on a Monday again as the staff is spread too thin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen ShakeupHilltopDined on 8/24/2014Ordered Meat Loaf which arrived COLD and had to be sent back. Salmon dish arrived and was NOT cooked through. Food server had to be reminded to get our food. Service slow. Will never go back and felt completely let down.
- Anniversary dinner 32WalterDined on 8/23/2014Very nice overall, everything was wonderful. Would come back next time in town.Special Features:
- Inconsistent EverythingBroadwayFanVIPDined on 8/23/2014Used to be a favorite place, but the service has become so spotty and this dinner was one of the bad experiences: twice we were served another table's orders, had to ask for more water several times, etc. Just felt like they were not prepared to actually have full tables. The beet salad was a hit, though.Special Features:
- Great Italian foodlovefoodDined on 8/23/2014It is an authentic Italian restaurant with not overcooked pasta. Poggio utilizes fresh ingredients that make a real difference in the taste experience and the past is home made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 75 BirthdayDickEatsDined on 8/22/2014Birthday dinner, not so good. odd staffing, inconsistent service between servers, odd menu, odd plating, good taste, restaurant seems to succeed by location, not by service or food merit. Much room for improvements, complacent habits hold this eatery hostage from the real world of excellent food prep and serviceSpecial Features:
- Delicious4foodiesDined on 8/21/2014Four of us ordered several different things and they were all wonderful...the food is without a doubt some of the finest in the bay area...Special Features:
- retiredDined on 8/21/2014The gnudi was fabulous and the service was very good. Lovely restaurant.Special Features:
- Terrible serviceMarinfamilyDined on 8/19/2014We went to Poggio for our daughter's 18th birthday. We booked an early school night reservation (6:45), and we expected to be home and in bed by 10:00 after the kids had finished their homework. But the dinner dragged out to well over 3 hours, with abysmally slow service. They didn't take our order for an entire hour after we sat down. It took over 30 minutes to get even our drink orders, which came in three different batches. The food was good, but we were so tired by the time that it arrived that it was hard to enjoy it. In addition, we were given the wrong wine, and our "bill" when delivered, was actually a signed check from someone else in the restaurant. A very disappointing evening for what should have been a special occasion.
- Great TimeSF94109VIPDined on 8/15/2014Celebrated a friends birthday there. The Food was very good, service and atmosphere all good. Would recommend and go back.Special Features:
- A great find in Sausalitomangezbien3VIPDined on 8/15/2014The service and ambiance were great and so was the food, with unfortunately the exception of the halibut that was quite bland. It needed some sauce or something to give it a little pizazz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food needs workDisappointedVIPDined on 8/15/2014The salads and appetizers were wonderful. The halibut was excellent. Pastas have never been that great and needs a lot of work.The steak was cooked perfectly, but it lacked flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something different for a businesssamesDined on 8/13/2014Especially if you have out-of-town clients take them to a rare Sausalito treat! Poogio fits the bill and delivers. Great courses to share or enjoy on your own.Special Features:
- Disappointing eveningDenMiloDined on 8/11/2014We have been to Poggio several times and consider it one of our places for a special night out. I took my two college aged daughters for night to just have a nice evening together. Normally, I have found the service to be both professional and attentive. However, our waiter was anything but attentive. We were largely ignored and had long lapses of time where we did not get any attention. After waiting a long time to place our dessert order, the waiter returned to tell us he had forgotten the order and asked to be reminded. Overall, very disappointing to the point that I added a note on my bill indicating the poor service. In addition, the pork chop that I ordered medium was overcooked and dry. It was well flavored, but dry.
- Poor serviceca190VIPDined on 8/11/2014Have eaten here many times, food always good but service is going down hill. This last time was terrible. Will think twice before coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BleeDined on 8/10/2014My friends and I really enjoy eating at Poggio. It is a great all around lunch or dinner spot with a wonderful view and a great people watching location. The food is always excellent and varied. We go there about 5 times a year, mostly for dinner, and we've just discovered the Margarita pizza with a number of simple add-ons. Best pizza in Marin and it reheats beautifully. The crust is phenominal and the ingredients are always pristine, fresh and seasoned well. The service is spot on and they are always happy to redo a dish if the dinner would like it less spicy, in our case the tuna crudo, or the meat needs to be either more well done - or less done. Poggio is very accomodating and the waitstaff remembers return customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We probably won't go backOurspecial26thDined on 8/10/2014The hostess was excellent. Things got off to a great start. Waiter greeted us but was quite indifferent to our questions; we were his burden. The appetizer of tomatoes and cheese was small but good. Drinks were overpriced and not memorable. Of the entrees we ordered, pastas were mushy and doughy not at all al dente. It was a challenge to find clams but there were lots of shells and garlic. The halibut entree was a neatly stacked, small pile of overcooked vegetables and a dry piece of fIsh. It's a shame that the beautiful fish had gave its life only to be wasted in this way. Dessert, tirra misou, was at best average. Not the experience we expected for celebrating two birthdays. We did get one candle indifferently stuck in the dessert.
- birthday lunch for 6CookinBobsDined on 8/10/2014Friendly, efficient, knowledgable, professional server and staff. Authentic Italian cuisine is excellent. The tomato soup tasted like they just picked them, the salmon was super fresh and perfectly cooked. The tiramisu and the complimentary birthday lemon desserts were heavenly. We were not rushed at all but were attended to whenever we needed something with no waiting. We'll definitely return and highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Sausalito's BestLikeToDineOutDined on 8/9/2014Considering the restaurant is in the middle of the tourist traffic area in Sausalito, you would not know it by the food! Touristy areas are known for marginal food and this is definitely not. Both locals and tourists should eat here and be pleasantly surprised by the quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoggioOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014The pasta was amazing. The porkchop and polenta had absolutely NO FLAVOR. At the price, I really should have returned the food.
- So glad we found this!girlsnightoutDined on 8/8/2014We loved our meals. At the end of a two week vacation, this was our best meal. We both had pasta dishes and they were phenomenal. The waitress was very knowledgable and helped us select delicious meals. We had an 845 reservation but showed up really early. They sat us without question. Fabulous experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHappy2helpDined on 8/7/2014Despite charming, eager waitress food selections not at all memorable ( braised scallops and pasta special ) served late and had to be sent back ( barely warm ). Salads pedestrian ( beets with frizzy lettuce and tired goat cheese ). Reminiscent of a tourist walk- by and not the highly rated charming venue we had been led to believe was competitive to Mill Valley or other local Italian bistros. Sadly, it was not and the highly touted new kitchen needs some healthy self inspection.
- Great placeSFfoodloverVIPDined on 8/7/2014Every thing we had was delicious. Went out of their way to offer and prepare a dish with no salt as a special request. Very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mickeyDined on 8/6/2014i THOUGHT this would be a good place for a "special occasion" and even told the restaurant before we came that it was a special birthday. the staff did nothing. no dessert or anything and by then it was too late to get up and go up front and ask for something. This place started out well, but the 1/2 empty space says it all. No one in town ever mentions going there anymore...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RitaVIPDined on 8/6/2014Poggio is great. Wonderful setting in Sausalito; charming; very Italian feel to it. Excellent food and service.Special Features:
- Very very sloooo serviceFrugalFoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014We dine regularly at Poggio and the service is usually good. Every restaurant can have a bad day and we just encountered a dilly last Tuesday night. Not only was the service slow (It took over two hours; we have usually finished a similar meal in about an hour.), but it was inattentive and little effort was made by the server to explain or apologize. A bit of forthrightness about problems in the kitchen would have gone a long way to helping us understand and tolerate the delays.Special Features: