Sausalito, CA 94965Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://poggiotrattoria.com/
- Phone: 4153327771x
- Hours of Operation:
Cafe Service: Daily: 7:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Peter McNee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer private rooms for 10 to 150 guests.
A word from Poggio
Poggio, from the Italian translation for 'a special hillside place', offers seasonal Italian cuisine. The daily-changing seasonal menu features locally grown ingredients and items from the large display wood-fired rotisserie and grill and wood-roasting oven.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Poggio - Best Restaurants in Sausalito ›
Poggio reviews from OpenTable diners
285 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (149)great for outdoor dining (138)special occasion (124)neighborhood gem (112)great for lunch (85)romantic (83)notable wine list (73)good for groups (70)scenic view (60)great for brunch (45)hot spot (41)vibrant bar scene (33)late-night find (23)kid-friendly (18)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Service was very slow sat at the table for a long time before we were even noticedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and white trufflesJeroboamVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had another great dinner at Poggio. The $20/bottle wine list is an incredible deal and allowed us to splurge on white truffles with mezzaluna and spot prawn crudo. A wonderful evening. Thank you,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NorCaleatsVIPDined on 10/24/2014We dine regularly at Poggio, but our last visit wasn't up to par. On past visits we were offered either still or sparkling water, but this time we were not asked. Our server was charming but seemed to be overworked or disinterested. Fresh ground pepper was never offered for the salads and we weren't able to catch anyone's attention to get a couple grinds. The waiter never checked back after our meals were delivered and although we would not complain, the halibut special was slightly overcooked and the always wonderful chicken was really salty...and I like salt. Hopefully this was just an off night, because Poggio has always been a go-to spot for us. On a plus side, we liked the 20 wines for $20 deal that they were running.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurant in MarinMarinFoodLoverVIPDined on 10/24/2014When we want a delightful meal, we head to Poggio. The delicious food, professional service and inviting ambiance make for an enjoyable dinner experience. You won't be disappointed.
- Disappointingkp2sonomaDined on 10/24/2014We were a party of 3. We started with a grilled artichoke which was outstanding! Two of us ordered the risotto with mushroom which arrived undercooked and without a sign of a mushroom. The third person ordered a combined plate of 3 of the Contorni. The vegetables arrived on a plate and seemingly had been steamed instead of prepared as noted on the menu. She sent these back and ordered a risotto. This arrived 15 minutes later, better cooked and with a smattering of mushrooms. There was no apology or grace in this transaction. It was done as if an affront and begrudgingly. This was to have been a special occasion, a trip down memory lane of past, wonderful times at Poggio. It, sadly, did not meet the former standard.
- Top of the list in marin countyHappy2eatDined on 10/23/2014Always feel like we are really stepping out when we step into Poggio. Never know what special they are running on food or wine. This time was 20 wine from the 20 regions in Italy for $20. AwesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best of BridgewaycatsnoutDined on 10/20/2014We have tried several restaurants along the main drag of Sausalito and this is our favorite.Special Features:
- Always a winnergoodbobVIPDined on 10/19/2014Have never been let down - really appreciated the specials on Italian wines - get incentive to try something differentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California GirlCaliforniagirlDined on 10/14/2014I haven't been to Poggio in a while, and I'm glad I came back. The moment we walked in the door, everyone was welcoming and friendly. The food was great and service outstanding. I had friends visiting from the East Coast and it was one of their 50th birthday, Poggio made the whole evening special - this restaurant is definitely worth a visit the next time you're in Sausalito.Special Features:
- Escape to Italy for an afternoonBruceDined on 10/13/2014Reserve an outside table for lunch, and enjoy an afternoon like you were in Portofino, or somewhere on the Italian coastline. The gem lettuce salad and burrata appetizer were excellent but the highlight for me was the ribeye steak, which is large enough for two to share, along with a side of spinaci or arugala. Add a nice bottle of wine for only $20 selected from their list of regional specialties, and you have the makings of a perfect afternoon.Special Features:
- Poggio: not badBerto41Dined on 10/10/2014Dined here recently with a companion. Food was ok, although the size of the smaller of the two sizes of pasta dish were skimpy. Took quite a while between our starter and entree, about 20 min. The fish was good, but came with nada. Wines by the glass were mediocre. Whole wheat bread was excellent, served w/ butter instead of olive oil. All in all, ok but nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Best meal ever, & they're all greatPurpleDaffodilVIPDined on 10/8/2014This chef ROCKS!! I am a regular at Poggio, and my husband and I always have excellent food there. But on Wednesday night when I dined there with a friend, our dinners were both exceptional, even as Poggio meals go. Before my friend arrived, I was seated at the bar for about 15 minutes and started chatting with a nice man from Tokyo who also appeared to be a regular. He recommended the leg of lamb. My friend ordered it, and I had bites. It was fantastic! I had the seared day boat scallops on a bed of corn, which was sweet and delicious. Both dishes were cooked perfectly--timed just right. Probably some of the best lamb and scallops I've ever eaten--and I've eaten a lot!Special Features:
- always a winnermariniteDined on 10/8/2014It's reliably good, interesting, and attractive, but it's not boring - there's seasonal variety and a kind of Italian cooking that goes far beyond the stereotypical. The wait staff is professional and pleasant. I bring local and out of town guests there frequently for lunch or dinner and it never disappoints. A personal favorite: a wonderful panna cotta, the slight variations reflecting the seasons, for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies do lunch at PoggioTamgalDined on 10/8/2014Began out meal with a LemonDrop-refreshing. We ordered several appetizers to share. The burrata, the meatballs-very tender and delicious sauce. And the procuitto with Parmesan shavings very suttle and flavorful. Dessert was an Italian version of a pot de cream-silky with chocolate, hazelnuts and amaretto. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoggioOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Poor. Long delays. Food ordinary. Waitress inefficient. Will not return.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/5/2014We've been here many times as the menu has interesting selections. This time was terrible, they must have thought we were tourists which are so plentiful in Sasalito. The service was none existent and the food bland, cold...
- Excellent food, excellent serviceCaleighDined on 10/4/2014Poggio is one of my favorites -- dependably excellent food and wonderful, unobtrusive service. Last weekend, since the evening was still warm, we had dinner outside for the first time in years, which only enhanced the experience. I had the local salmon, which was undercooked to perfection -- still juicy and perfectly seasoned. My husband had the seared halibut, which was also cooked perfectly. We also shared scallops to start and brussels sprouts as a side -- both delicious! I want to add that our reservation was for 7:30 pm on an extremely busy Saturday. We arrived a few minutes late and were seated immediately, and at an outside table at our request. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great mealEatout57Dined on 10/3/2014Had a light lunch after 1 pm. Our server was "out to lunch" himself. After a somewhat bizarre way of serving wine by the glass, first pouring from the bottle into a small carafe which he seemed to be exact in measuring he the left it for us to pour into the glass. Twice he asked if we wanted bread which we declined, it showed up anyway. After saying we needed a minute to decide what we wanted. He disappeared for 20 minutes. I finally had to flag him down. We ordered appetizer, salad, and a main to split. 2 out 3 plates arrived. By this time I wasn't interested in asking him of the appetizer as he was nowhere to seen, he had a about 2 other tables he was busy with. Prior to this it had a very good experience with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good for the price!MommyWTGODined on 10/2/2014Went there to celebrate my birthday. Food was great except the grilled calamari was a little bit burnt and had that terrible burnt taste. Their Duck leg confit is good!! It's a must try! Crispy skin & tender meat! Yummy!! If you like to try something different then try the squid ink pasta. I thought it was delicious! My husband said it's a bit too greasy. Their pizza was really good too! We sat outdoor and it's more casual vs. sitting indoor is more formal. I love the fact that Poggio offer large portion & small portion. That way we can order more items & try different things! Would love to go there again! Price is very reasonable! FYI, there are a lot of street parking! Don't waste your money to valet! The neighborhood is super safe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedB8985Dined on 10/2/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our evening, took ferry from San Francisco and had time to wander around Sausalito. Restaurant easy to find and food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local fresh excellently preparedSarahVIPDined on 9/30/2014Poggio is a longtime favorite of our family. The food quality is always excellent and the ambiance warm and embracing and at the same time its uplifting. They bring the best of Italy to us in Marin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedBarauderieDined on 9/29/2014Very good food and wines by the glass. The squid/belly pork starter was really well cooked as was the seafood risotto although the larger portion was just too much for me. The cauliflower soup was a bit bland for my wife's taste and her pasta dish a little heavy on the pesto but overall it was fine. Wines were good quality and good value. Service from Deborah was great, friendly and professional. Overall, a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Good but....lovegreatfoodDined on 9/27/2014I love the atmosphere of the restaurant - the wood burning oven, the energetic vibe, the outdoor dining tables...it reminds me of a restaurant scene from a movie. The Quail dish was really nice, the lamb not that tasty. We really enjoyed the Pinot Noir (6410 I believe). What we didn't like was the service. We had our menus for a good 15-20 minutes before our order was taken. Drinks right away with some bread helps to ease some of that pain, but I had to ask for it AFTER we placed our order so you can see the timeline here. While the kitchen was backed up, something I can understand in a packed restaurant, it would have been nice to have been told that. Friendly conversational service always helps all of these problems but alas...Special Features:
- The Best in Sausalito!JenSonomaVIPDined on 9/26/2014Never disappointed with Poggio, the absolute best restaurant in Sausalito that I return to again and again with business colleagues, family & friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our dinnerDavethedinerVIPDined on 9/25/2014Just visiting sausilito for one night and stopped here - really good food - watermelon salad was excellent and the pasta was some of the best we've hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmberDined on 9/25/2014The overall experience was very nice - Beautiful and romantic ambiance, attentive service and most of the dishes were pretty good. The duck confit salad was the best. However, the portion for the pasta entrée was too small. It came out on a huge plate but just a tiny fist full of pasta. It was not enough even for a small eater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMarinLibrarianDined on 9/23/2014Took out of town guests here and food was great service a little lacking but overall a fabulous meal.Special Features:
- Always Excellent!StellaVIPDined on 9/23/2014The food never fails ~ always first rate! But this time the service was rushed and the restaurant was not full. We ignored our waitress even when she tried to interrupt with a question on our decision making. The only flaw . . .Special Features:
- poor attitude of waiter ruins nightWorldTravelsDined on 9/21/2014We tend to pick a restaurant and stick with it. We discovered Poggio's at the recommendation of the local Inn we were staying at and loved the food, the staff, and the ambiance of Poggio's nestled amongst the shops in Sausalito. The food is made fresh and is outstanding at reasonable pricing. However, for our 4th night, we decided to invite a friend whom we had not seen for over 10 years to dinner. Being a wine enthusiast, he brought his own bottle of wine for us to try. Upon being seated, the waiter eyed the wine, grabbed the bottle quickly to stare at the label for a second, scowled and rushed off, only to give us attitude and try give only curt short responses for the rest of the otherwise enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Good Food Good ServicefoodforthoughtVIPDined on 9/21/2014We enjoyed brunch here but the music they were playing was really annoying...."light" Italian opera or some such nonsense; this needs to change. Good Salumi and Seafood Risotto.Special Features:
- poggioMommaJEatsDined on 9/20/2014We usually love poggio but this saturday night was our 17th anniversary and i was expecting a special night. it was too loud, 3 out of 4 of my forks had bent tines, bread crust was too tough, gnudi were good but our portion was much smaller than table sitting next to us, fig pizza was dissappointing-a little sour. overall a C. sorry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerPWLSFVIPDined on 9/20/2014Took a couple of close friends for their respective birthday dinners here. Grilled octopus, oven baked flat bread, salad from their own garden, sliced lamb entree and coffee over gelato - every dish superior. Nice wine selection- very good without being overly expensive. Attentive, friendly and well informed service. Plus that Sausalito setting!! Combined very very good food, service and setting makes this restaurant a "go to" in Marin County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this roomOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014One of the reasons I enjoy Poggio is their dining room. It feels like Rome to me. It's elegant, and beautifully lit in a warm caramel glow, with the expansive effect of the openness to the street. Good, playful, friendly service. My duck salad was well cooked, with a lovely blend of flavors from the nectarines and lentils.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at PoggiolocksDined on 9/18/2014I lived in Sausalito for a couple of years and dined here often. The food is always good and consistently so. Had lunch with a business associate the other day. He had the salmon entrée and I had the small portion of risotto. He loved his salmon and it looked like it was prepared perfectly. My risotto was good but it was very small and definitely not worth $11. It showed up with the risotto in the bottom of a large bowl and absolutely no garnish. I was disappointed in the size of the dish. It was flavorful but small.Special Features:
- Delicious food.jobirdyDined on 9/16/2014We were there on Tuesday, so we chose to have the Tuesday Dinner, prix fixe. It was great. That night it was antipasto. The best we ever had. Six different items that were all SO good. Then it was veal piccata and polenta. Dessert was zabaglione with berries. Our waitress was so nice and knowledgable. We loved everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kir royaleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The meal was great overall, but we were all super disappointed in your kir royale cocktail. You clearly need to upgrade the champagne for that or make some improvements. It's amazing how such a small thing can impact the overall experience!!Special Features:
- Great food, lousy servicejb2bVIPDined on 9/12/2014If you can ignore the absentee service, you'll enjoy it. The food is outstanding. The service is nonexistent.Special Features:
- OverratedDrummerDined on 9/12/2014Overall food is so so .. Disappointed. Toasted crackers instead of bread? Was tasty but lots of burnt/black spots. Scallops and pepper appetizers good. Our server was great. With a group ... Since most people in groups share, please consider more serving utensils.Special Features:
- Great Experience, Even Better FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014Went for lunch to Poggio, coming from SF. A beautiful drive over the GG Bridge, into Sausalito and forget looking for parking, valet service right in front of the restaurant. Sat outdoors on a wonderful afternoon. Great, attentive service from our waiter. The food was exquisite. From a simple tomato and mozzarella dish to perfectly prepared salmon, everything was just right. The pastas are excellent and dessert is worth leaving some room for.Special Features:
- lunchwithfriendDined on 9/8/2014This is the best Italian restaurant in Marin - in fact, I would choose it over any Italian restaurant in San Francisco and I have been to many of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.