3636 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.podrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2153871803
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Friday: 11:30am - 12:00pm; Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Hugh Moran, Brian Baglin (GM)
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
- Special Events: All of our PODs may be guaranteed through our special event coordinator, Diane Farina. She can be reached at 267.238.3650.
For PODs 1 and 2 (seating for between 6 and 9 guests) there is a $420 food and beverage minimum.
For POD 3 (seating for between 8 and 13 guests) there is a $625 food and beverage mimimum.
- Cross Street: Between 36th & 37th Streets on Sansom
- Public Transit: Market-Frankford El, 34th Street Stop.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Pod offers valet parking seven days a week for $20 per vehicle. There are private, non-affiliated lots in the area and limited street parking available to our guests as well.
A word from Pod
Philadelphia restaurant impresario Stephen Starr's retro-modern offering, located in the town's "University City" neighborhood, lets its guests sip sake, beer, and colored cocktails while munching on fresh sushi, dim sum, and Pan-Asian entrees. The hip, contemporary, "starship-like" space was conceptualized by famed Manhattan designer David Rockwell and influenced by the films "Sleeper" and "2001: A Space Odyssey."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pod reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (118)good for groups (108)special occasion (78)hot spot (73)neighborhood gem (62)vibrant bar scene (36)great for lunch (33)romantic (29)late-night find (25)kid-friendly (13)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (6)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Cool spotCJCbostonVIPDined on 10/20/2014Second time there. The food we had this time was almost as good the second time - the first was hitting on all cylinders, and this was was still good. Tried the chilean sea bass - found it almost too overwhelming in richness - plus the puree that was under it was a bit too rich and sweet for my taste. In contrast, the wasabi filet was great, as is the crispy rice / tuna starters. The wine list is modest and the mark-up is higher than most other spots - another irritant. I'll probably be back nevertheless. Certainly the room is a fun one for the futurama look!Special Features:
- PodDominiqueDined on 10/17/2014Good morning, my name is Dominique and I had my birthday dinner at your restaurant. I loved everything about it and so did my friends. The food was amazing , the drinks was amazing and so was the desert. Everyone was so nice and very helpful. I would definitely be coming back. Thank you so much for everything and for getting me the actual pod. I really enjoy myself and appreciate everything. Sincerely Dominique,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday to Medln1010Dined on 10/17/2014My husband took me here on my Birthday and I was thrilled. The whole Atmosphere was unique and the food was great. I have been wanting to go here for a while but for whatever reason it never ended up happening until this past weekend. I really enjoyed myself and will be going back again!Special Features:
- good Asian cuisineEstroVIPDined on 10/15/2014Very Good food and service in the overall. our server was great and professional but my problem was upon arriving: we had a 7:30 reservation and arrived 7:10. there were many tables available but the hostess said we need to wait 20 minutes until our table will be ready. there was no room next to the bar and they don't have a sited waiting area so we stood! i was shocked. I thought maybe the vacant tables were reserved, but after 15 minutes of useless wait she sat us in one of the tables that was free for the past 20 minutes. what a stupid way to welcome a client and start the meal. but then the food, our server and the decor change my feeling about this place. they would have gotten a higher rank from me without that poor arrival experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingUnderwhelmedVIPDined on 10/11/2014Requested the conveyor bar. Had to remind the hostess as this was not being honored. She checked, there were seats available. Disappointed that a place w/this rep would not check/mention a special request. Waited longer than normal for a drink order, our waiter was not available, explains the wait, reminded the manager of our desire to have the conveyor sushi. During the whole time, approx. 45mins. we watched the same sushi plates going around and nothing new added. We took two plates to start and waited 20mins and still nothing more. We asked our waiter whom told us, it's really busy, they are not adding more, you should order from the menu :( The conveyor is not even chilled. Keeping sushi out this long at room temp. can not be good.
- Starr service late Sunday nightNitiVIPDined on 10/5/2014One of our favorites for over a dozen years. 4 of us dined at 9:30 pm on Sunday, post our show at Annenberg. Despite being the only guests there, we were not the least bit rushed. Great vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place to celebrate occasionsGlenDined on 10/5/2014This place is great to celebrate any special occasion. The food, waiter and atmospher was AWESOME! I felt very comfortable and relaxed in the POD. I was with 4 other friends who loved the food and didn't have any complaint about the place. We all left very satisfied.Special Features:
- Fun. EnergeticFoodie4LifeDined on 10/4/2014Great atmosphere and great staff. Perfect for a fun night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!FillieFoodieDined on 9/30/2014Really good dining experience. They have an interesting menu and the food was delicious. The service was perfect, and they were very accommodating for my dietary needs, which is always hugely appreciated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and unique experience...CbroDined on 9/26/2014We loved everything about POD. We were there with a small group to celebrate a birthday. We were disappointed at first that our request for a POD through the online reservation wasn't granted, but the food, service and music vanished that disappointment. We had a fun dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvtodineLuvtodineDined on 9/26/2014We had a delicious meal and the atmosphere was really fun! Our server was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SnowbirdsnowbirdDined on 9/26/2014I remembered Pod and thought it would be the perfect spot to meet to have a casual dinner with a Penn student we wanted to see. We were seated right away. Service was great and the location was easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun experienceAFanVIPDined on 9/25/2014The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The food was spot-on - highly recommend the Pod Lobster Specialty Roll - best roll I ever had! Everything we ordered was good and the atmosphere was a lot of fun. Modern and clean. If possible try to sit in the pod where you can change the lighting - just note it will change the color of your food if you are one of those people who like to photograph their food (it is beautifully presented). But there is a white light option you can put on!Special Features:
- Pod for elders?FerminatorDined on 9/24/2014The food was yummy. Only complaint? My legs weren't comfortable...the preformed modular benches weren't comfortable. My feet didn't touch the floor and my back didn't reach the back of the bench. I noted another pair of diners who moved to a table with moving chairs. Next time I will ask for a table with chairs. PS I'm 5'2" and dear companion 6' 2" we both would prefer chairs. Am sure they would reseat us if asked.Special Features:
- AmazingTMazzochiDined on 9/20/2014My first Pod experience was amazing. From the moment I walked in until the time I left was nothing short of excellent. Our menu choices of pork belly buns, asparagus, lamb meatballs and salmon were each full of flavor. The ambiance and decor is also beautiful. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out to dinner with my manRuthDined on 9/19/2014The flavor profiles were awesome. We enjoyed every morsel and will definitely patronize Pod again. We challenge you to visit Pod especially if you like Asian food with a twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Good PanAsian RestaurantluvgoodfoodVIPDined on 9/16/2014My daughter and I love to experience different pan-Asian restaurants. We have been all over the world to some amazing places. I found this to be among the better and reasonably priced restaurants. Food was fresh. Service was good. All around a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first-time experience!EstherDined on 9/15/2014POD is one of the better Starr-restaurants that I have been to. Service was exceptional and the food was tastier than I anticipated.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2014Food and service was very good. Price was a little steep.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black Man FoodiespeedinbulletDined on 9/13/2014the pod always scores, great atmosphere, great food, great service, great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but needs a little refreshingsheriVIPDined on 9/12/2014still a wonderful assets to the area....I think it could stll undergo some changes...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nobu at Normal prices.CJCbostonVIPDined on 9/10/2014My first time here - usually we'd choose Morimoto. But wow and wow some more. Every dish was just great. Those rock shrimp tempura, the Kobe on a hot rock, and the miso cod. All great versions. Even the mochi ice cream. As is usual for Asian fusion - the wine list in constrained - this one had a few 90 pointer options in addition to the expected strong beer / sake list. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Great for lunch!InnaVIPDined on 9/9/2014We had really good lunch; service was good. The Vegetable tempura was a bit greasy, but overall the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!Gigieats1Dined on 9/8/2014My mother, aunt and I went here kind of last minute surprised by how amazing it was! The service was great, ambiance was very intense. We ordered the crispy rice with spicy tuna and jalapeño on top which was amazing and addictive, I wanted more! The Japanese eggplant was so good it tasted like dessert. We also told them we had a shrimp allergy and they had no problem changing an item on the menu to fix that. Overall great experience would definitely got back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placesippsDined on 9/6/2014we were here for my 40th birthday celebrations. What a great place to send good food time with pals . Great seating arrangements , good food and awesome service . I plan on coming here more often and try other dishes that we missed out.Special Features:
- phillybbDined on 9/6/2014Hip & delicious. Attentive wait staff. I enjoyed the variety of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait between courses.MilanoxoxVIPDined on 9/5/2014Out waitress decided to bring out two sushi rolls with our soup, then appetizers, then another two rolls. We didn't figure this out until we had let the first two rolls sit on the table for 20 minutes. We finally call the server over to ask for clarification on how the food would be taken to the table and she informed us that she didn't think four rolls would fit on the tiny table. At the point, we decided to cancel the appetizers. It was odd to switch from sushi to dumplings then back to sushi, even though a table runner said that dinner was served that way in Japan. Huh?Anyway, we waiting another 25 minutes for our last two rolls to come out and by then we weren't very happy. The food was delicious, but it was over-shadowed by the mishap.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful place for lunchdonna19003Dined on 9/5/2014Since it's on the Penn campus, right next door to Inn at Penn, great for valet parking, it's a perfect spot for lunch. the people attending are excellent. Always have a great time there, whether it's alone or with friends for lunch. Love it!Special Features:
- Bday dinnerFunfoodie828Dined on 8/30/2014I attended pod for my bday dinner. They fully accommodated my party of 10. My full party had not arrived but they did seat us somewhere so we could be comfortable instead of waiting in front for the entire party to arrive. Everything came out in really good timing there was never a moment when anyone was wondering what's taking their drink and/or food so long. My only complaint would be our servers not so funny sense of humor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience for teens!NjdinerVIPDined on 8/27/2014Thank you for making this experience for my three nieces and celebrating their birthdays amazing! They can't wait for their next visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RiadDined on 8/25/2014Great place. Great food. Great service. We were a party of 9 and they gave us one of the "pods." We could change the lights in the place. I just don't understand why international driver licenses are not accepted. No one carries their passports around.Special Features:
- Really fun dining experiencenewcollegemomDined on 8/21/2014We enjoyed a very fun and tasty celebration dinner as our freshman daughter was spending her first day in college. First days can be stressful and Pod was just the remedy to a long day! We tried food from each part of the menu and it was all delicious. Service was excellent and very friendly.Special Features:
- Good Time!CarlaDined on 8/19/2014We celebrated my son's 21st birthday at POD. The food was served tapas style which was fine, but our waiter did not explain this beforehand, so I ended up with a lamb meatball appetizer and a short rib entree with no side dishes. I also did not like that food was brought to our table as it was prepared. My entire party had completed their appetizers and were almost finished with their entrees before my appetizer was brought out. The food was delicious though, and the POD was fun for our group of 4.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty CoolTrishDined on 8/17/2014Pretty cool decor with nice menu. Food presentation was lovely. Pricey with miso soup coming in at $8.00! Service was attentive without being pretentious. Nice for celebration. Loved the lights.Special Features:
- Good restaurant for young crowdLCarterDined on 8/16/2014This place seems very trendy. The night we went to this restaurant, it was packed with a young, college age crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and TastyDamienDined on 8/16/2014While there has definitely been some wear and tear on the restaurant itself, but the fish was fresh, the menu was excellent, and our server was beyond phenomenal (the bus boys as well). I reiterate our food was excellent, the tofu wraps, vegatarian roll, sashimi, tofu stir fry, seafood fried rice...and OMG the dessert... we had the special alongside the chocolate cake... definitely enjoyed and wouldn't mind experiencing it again. I would add, in terms of ambiance, the lighting is to bright with the windows, so optimal time would be late late summer or evening the rest of the season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodColandoDined on 8/11/2014I thought the interior setup, lights, and music were great. Staff was knowledgeable and helpful. The food was good, but I thought it was a bit overpriced. I would recommend it to a friend for somewhere new and cool to go, but I likely won't go back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPatriciaVIPDined on 8/8/2014Laura Martin is a great manager! Her professionalism & warmth is reflected through her staff. I forget our waitresses name but she was wonderful as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularSuperiorDined on 8/8/2014One of our most memorable meals anywhere. Super cool decor--all white with neon lighting and anime cartoons in the background. Very professional and well-groomed staff. Food was adventurous and first-rate. Not a bad morsel to be had. Spicy tuna is a must if you are a sushi fan. Also had the soft-shell crab plate and a macademia nut chicken plate.Special Features:
- Great serviceFondivaDined on 8/2/2014Our food was all amazing!our server Jen made great recommendations for all of us! She made the night perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.