3636 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.podrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (215) 387-1803
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Friday: 11:30am - 12:00pm; Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Hugh Moran, Brian Baglin (GM)
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
- Special Events: All of our PODs may be guaranteed through our special event coordinator, Diane Farina. She can be reached at 267.238.3650.
For PODs 1 and 2 (seating for between 6 and 9 guests) there is a $420 food and beverage minimum.
For POD 3 (seating for between 8 and 13 guests) there is a $625 food and beverage mimimum.
- Cross Street: Between 36th & 37th Streets on Sansom
- Public Transit: Market-Frankford El, 34th Street Stop.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Pod offers valet parking seven days a week for $20 per vehicle. There are private, non-affiliated lots in the area and limited street parking available to our guests as well.
A word from Pod
Philadelphia restaurant impresario Stephen Starr's retro-modern offering, located in the town's "University City" neighborhood, lets its guests sip sake, beer, and colored cocktails while munching on fresh sushi, dim sum, and Pan-Asian entrees. The hip, contemporary, "starship-like" space was conceptualized by famed Manhattan designer David Rockwell and influenced by the films "Sleeper" and "2001: A Space Odyssey."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pod reviews from OpenTable diners
201 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (130)good for groups (117)special occasion (86)hot spot (82)neighborhood gem (59)vibrant bar scene (38)great for lunch (31)romantic (28)late-night find (18)kid-friendly (14)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- great foodFoodeeDined on 11/22/2014We were celebrating a special occasion and even though I requested a POD and asked to be notified if we would not receive one, I was not contacted. So, we were disappointed. When we arrived, we had been waiting behind a group that was late for their reservation and was having a discussion with the hostess regarding their options. Once she was finished with this group, instead of seating us for our reservation (for which we were on time), she took another patron who she knew just clearly went around me in the line. Not cool. Our waitress was very good, friendly and quite patient as we decided whether we wanted to share smaller plates for the table or individual dinners for each guest. We went with shared plates and ordered the tempura rock shrimp (the adults thought it was delicious and perfectly crunchy though my son didn't like the surprise spicy mustard sauce that it was tossed in and not noticed on the menu), lobster roll (probably best sushi we have ever had), spicy tuna roll (just OK and not all that spicy), crab spring rolls (so wonderful that we placed a second order. They have a stronger than usual crab flavor, so that may not be for all, but we love seafood and even our 9 yr old loved them), seafood fried rice (delightful and not a bit left at the end of dinner), and the lettuce wraps with chicken (one of our absolute favorites when we visit here). All of the dishes came out as they were prepared and were hot when served. The quality of the ingredients was superb and the flavors were fantastic. We were able to easily find on street parking within a block of the restaurant for a 6:00 pm reservation on Saturday. Also, the restaurant is right next door to the Inn at Penn which offers valet parking and there are a few parking garages within a couple blocks north, east, and west.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rockin Spicy Tuna roll is a mustRittSqWestVIPDined on 11/21/2014Went early on a Friday evening - plenty of room. Started with a cocktail suggested by the waitress - Far East - not on the menu yet. Love, love, love the rockin spicy tuna roll. Generous portion of edamame that were hot & crisp not soggy like some other places. Only complaint is that our clothes smelled like a kitchen even the next day. Hence, the ventilation in Pod is sub par and should be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSammy252525Dined on 11/15/2014We had a fantastic meal here. The portions were large and everything was delicious. Our server was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a Philly staple!DisappointedVIPDined on 11/15/2014POD is consistently good. Food is delicious and the ambiance is always busy. Service was just OK but overall a really good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really enjoyed Pod again!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/15/2014the dishes we chose we all quite salty, but the service was attentive and quick and we had a nice eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food - reservations issuesImac42Dined on 11/14/2014The food at Pod was great. The real issue was that I made the reservation for 6:15 & had an email stating that whereas the restaurant had me down for 7:45 for some reason. They did get us in, though it seemed like they were trying to hurry us out even though an adjacent table was still empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousCzukeVIPDined on 11/9/2014So many different fantastic flavors. From the dim sum to miso glazed sea bass to dumplings, everything was delicious. We'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun atmosphere, mediocre foodhappyneighborDined on 11/8/2014Was excited to visit Pod for the first time. The atmosphere was fun, but I was not impressed with the food. Overall quality and presentation was fine but none of the 4 menu items we tried were very creative or otherwise outstanding. Portions were a little larger than some similar dining experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMatthewVIPDined on 11/8/2014Excellent as always! Whether it is lunch or dinner, everything is always prepared perfectly and the service makes you feel extremely welcome.Special Features:
- EmilyVIPDined on 11/7/2014Chicken lettuce wraps and spicy tuna crispy rice are the way to goSpecial Features:
- Great place, wonderful foodFoody1Dined on 11/1/2014disappointed we requested a Pod for my son's birthday dinner but we're told it wasn't available once we arrived. Everything else was outstanding. The kids were really disappointed about not being in the Pod. I will reserve with a written confirmation through management next time. We spent well over their minimum ($450.00) to eat in the special seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMarshaDined on 10/31/2014Always excellent. Never a disappointment. Will continue to dine at POD when we are in town. Compliments to the Chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloverVIPDined on 10/31/2014Consistently excellent. The rockin spicy tuna roll and the lobster roll are fantastic. The Chilean sea bass express lunch is excellent and a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific spot!coldSakeDined on 10/30/2014Really enjoyed the ambiance, meal, and service. Was surprised when the sake arrived that it was not warm. Waiter did not tell us that, and I thought he should have. We did not send it back, but enjoyed it somewhat, even though cold.Special Features:
- Birthday bust!42birthdayDined on 10/29/2014Great experience and the food and drinks were excellent! My birthday didn't go as planned but the food,drinks and friendly bartending staff, it turned out great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/29/2014I was very disappointed with the food. I came to Pod for sushi and honestly could have gotten sushi near my place of work for a much better deal that was comparable in quality. I have an expectation for a Stephen Starr restaurant that was not met. This was not worth the money I spent.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014had the best night of my life. my taste buds were percolated to new heights. my guests are still raving about our experience. sushi with my girls aint ever been so good.Special Features:
- Disappointing...eshaneDined on 10/26/2014It's been quite a few years since we last dined at Pod and it has declined greatly. The menu items were largely basic and boring, but with large price tags. The service was good, but the food was just okay. I've had better sushi at my local suburban hibachi/sushi restaurant during their all you can eat specials with no need to fuss with driving into the city.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/24/2014The food was outstanding. The menu was broad, and everyone in our party loved everything we ordered. Great place to share lots of dishes. Great choice for groups, celebrations, but also intimate parties of two. We would definitely eat here again!Special Features:
- POD Was DeliciousSunshine818Dined on 10/24/2014The service was excellent and the food was superb. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fun, fresh, and fantastic!CCKarenDined on 10/23/2014I went to Pod last week to celebrate my husband's b-day. We had just recently attended an event with the Chef & I mentioned this when making the reservation just so they knew we enjoyed it so much we wanted to come to the restaurant soon after. Well, the manager and Chef read this and went out of their way to ensure we had a wonderful and really special dinner! We had a really lovely and fantastic meal. We had yellowtail sashimi (so fresh!), miso soup (enough for 2 people to share), Waygu beef skewers (on the Chef- thank you, they were AMAZING), a Penn roll (really good), the spicy tuna crispy rice (delish!), baby bok choy (hard to go wrong) a spider roll (we really liked it), and also on the Chef was a prawn dish- my taste buds thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pod Part 2jtcarboniVIPDined on 10/23/2014This was my second visit to Pod. My first visit, on a Saturday, was better, mostly because of the service. Perhaps they don't have their "A Team" working on Thursday nights. We had a few sushi rolls and some nice white wine. Everything was very good. However our server left us for way too long or we might have ordered more. Other than that, I still love that place and hope to go back for a third time. My plan is to sit at the revolving sushi bar, since I've not tried that angle yet.Special Features:
- Cool spotCJCbostonVIPDined on 10/20/2014Second time there. The food we had this time was almost as good the second time - the first was hitting on all cylinders, and this was was still good. Tried the chilean sea bass - found it almost too overwhelming in richness - plus the puree that was under it was a bit too rich and sweet for my taste. In contrast, the wasabi filet was great, as is the crispy rice / tuna starters. The wine list is modest and the mark-up is higher than most other spots - another irritant. I'll probably be back nevertheless. Certainly the room is a fun one for the futurama look!Special Features:
- PodDominiqueDined on 10/17/2014Good morning, my name is Dominique and I had my birthday dinner at your restaurant. I loved everything about it and so did my friends. The food was amazing , the drinks was amazing and so was the desert. Everyone was so nice and very helpful. I would definitely be coming back. Thank you so much for everything and for getting me the actual pod. I really enjoy myself and appreciate everything. Sincerely Dominique,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday to Medln1010Dined on 10/17/2014My husband took me here on my Birthday and I was thrilled. The whole Atmosphere was unique and the food was great. I have been wanting to go here for a while but for whatever reason it never ended up happening until this past weekend. I really enjoyed myself and will be going back again!Special Features:
- good Asian cuisineEstroVIPDined on 10/15/2014Very Good food and service in the overall. our server was great and professional but my problem was upon arriving: we had a 7:30 reservation and arrived 7:10. there were many tables available but the hostess said we need to wait 20 minutes until our table will be ready. there was no room next to the bar and they don't have a sited waiting area so we stood! i was shocked. I thought maybe the vacant tables were reserved, but after 15 minutes of useless wait she sat us in one of the tables that was free for the past 20 minutes. what a stupid way to welcome a client and start the meal. but then the food, our server and the decor change my feeling about this place. they would have gotten a higher rank from me without that poor arrival experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/15/2014The food would have been great but it was so extremely salty we couldn't eat very much of it.
- Very disappointingUnderwhelmedVIPDined on 10/11/2014Requested the conveyor bar. Had to remind the hostess as this was not being honored. She checked, there were seats available. Disappointed that a place w/this rep would not check/mention a special request. Waited longer than normal for a drink order, our waiter was not available, explains the wait, reminded the manager of our desire to have the conveyor sushi. During the whole time, approx. 45mins. we watched the same sushi plates going around and nothing new added. We took two plates to start and waited 20mins and still nothing more. We asked our waiter whom told us, it's really busy, they are not adding more, you should order from the menu :( The conveyor is not even chilled. Keeping sushi out this long at room temp. can not be good.
- Starr service late Sunday nightNitiVIPDined on 10/5/2014One of our favorites for over a dozen years. 4 of us dined at 9:30 pm on Sunday, post our show at Annenberg. Despite being the only guests there, we were not the least bit rushed. Great vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place to celebrate occasionsGlenDined on 10/5/2014This place is great to celebrate any special occasion. The food, waiter and atmospher was AWESOME! I felt very comfortable and relaxed in the POD. I was with 4 other friends who loved the food and didn't have any complaint about the place. We all left very satisfied.Special Features:
- Fun. EnergeticFoodie4LifeDined on 10/4/2014Great atmosphere and great staff. Perfect for a fun night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!FillieFoodieDined on 9/30/2014Really good dining experience. They have an interesting menu and the food was delicious. The service was perfect, and they were very accommodating for my dietary needs, which is always hugely appreciated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and unique experience...CbroDined on 9/26/2014We loved everything about POD. We were there with a small group to celebrate a birthday. We were disappointed at first that our request for a POD through the online reservation wasn't granted, but the food, service and music vanished that disappointment. We had a fun dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvtodineLuvtodineDined on 9/26/2014We had a delicious meal and the atmosphere was really fun! Our server was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SnowbirdsnowbirdDined on 9/26/2014I remembered Pod and thought it would be the perfect spot to meet to have a casual dinner with a Penn student we wanted to see. We were seated right away. Service was great and the location was easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun experienceAFanVIPDined on 9/25/2014The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The food was spot-on - highly recommend the Pod Lobster Specialty Roll - best roll I ever had! Everything we ordered was good and the atmosphere was a lot of fun. Modern and clean. If possible try to sit in the pod where you can change the lighting - just note it will change the color of your food if you are one of those people who like to photograph their food (it is beautifully presented). But there is a white light option you can put on!Special Features:
- Pod for elders?FerminatorDined on 9/24/2014The food was yummy. Only complaint? My legs weren't comfortable...the preformed modular benches weren't comfortable. My feet didn't touch the floor and my back didn't reach the back of the bench. I noted another pair of diners who moved to a table with moving chairs. Next time I will ask for a table with chairs. PS I'm 5'2" and dear companion 6' 2" we both would prefer chairs. Am sure they would reseat us if asked.Special Features:
- AmazingTMazzochiDined on 9/20/2014My first Pod experience was amazing. From the moment I walked in until the time I left was nothing short of excellent. Our menu choices of pork belly buns, asparagus, lamb meatballs and salmon were each full of flavor. The ambiance and decor is also beautiful. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLoveeatingout520VIPDined on 9/19/2014We can't say enough good things about this place. We'd go back every week if we could afford it. The menu is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out to dinner with my manRuthDined on 9/19/2014The flavor profiles were awesome. We enjoyed every morsel and will definitely patronize Pod again. We challenge you to visit Pod especially if you like Asian food with a twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.